Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I’m curious to see if the Flames target Mitch Miller. I heard that some in the scouting staff are very high on him and think he could be an Adam Fox type value pick. Apparently when the Oilers took Holloway they made the decision to trade down. Take it for what it’s worth. But I thought those were some interesting tidbits.
Miller would be amazing. His game is very similar to Fox. But the stories on him make me nervous, in the 3rd round I’m gambling though.

Simplythebreast

Jul 20, 2019
Then its odd that it shows as our pick....you'd think it would be an Oiler logo until decided

These are the draft rules for today in the third round:

++ Oilers have yet to announce whether they will give their 2020 or 2021 third-round pick to the Flames as part of the James Neal trade. If they give up the 2020 choice, the Blackhawks will get No. 76 as part of the Erik Gustafsson trades. If they give up their 2021 pick, the Blackhawks will get the No. 81 pick from the Flames.
+++ If Calgary does not receive Edmonton’s 2020 third-round pick, they will send their own 2020 third-round pick to the Blackhawks.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Lots of defensemen to take in the upcoming rounds. Would love if the Flames could get someone like Ryan O'Rourke, Ronan Seeley, or Alex Cotton.

As for forwards, I'd still like to snag some RWs if possible. Martin Chromiak or Luke Evangelista are interesting guys to me.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Gotta think Oilers will defer the pick to 2021. Not only is this year projected as a strong draft but an extra year of development for a third rounder is pretty huge considering those guys don’t usually turn pro until their d+3 years, if ever

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Gotta think Oilers will defer the pick to 2021. Not only is this year projected as a strong draft but an extra year of development for a third rounder is pretty huge considering those guys don’t usually turn pro until their d+3 years, if ever
Plus they would be without a pick until the 4th. I don’t think there’s any doubt Edm is keeping their pick.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Well at least Finley isn't an overager.

No, he is one of the youngest players in the draft (He's almost a year younger than Zary). He also only had 10 PP points this season and played on the 2nd line of a good team, as someone who focuses on draft data as much as anyone Finley is one of those longshots that could actually work out. Bader had him ranked in the 28-32 range if I'm not mistaken.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
No, he is one of the youngest players in the draft (He's almost a year younger than Zary). He also only had 10 PP points this season and played on the 2nd line of a good team, as someone who focuses on draft data as much as anyone Finley is one of those longshots that could actually work out. Bader had him ranked in the 28-32 range if I'm not mistaken.

And he's great at faceoffs, hence my Otto comparision

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I really like Ryan O'Rourke, you have to think with how weak our prospect pool is defensively that 2 of our next 4 picks are d men. Button had Poirier at 22 as well (2013 flashbacks), so if he's around that wouldn't surprise me. His draft profile seems similar to Kylington, if we can teach him to defend, he'll be an easy top 4 guy. Apparently not a good skater though so that really hurts my Kylington comparison lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Box

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I still prefer a real defensive dman

We have 4 tweeners now?

That's fair. I just don't know if the game is suited for pure defensive guys that don't also have the ability to move the puck as much. Like, have to be more of a two-way guy if that makes sense.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I’m curious to see if the Flames target Mitch Miller. I heard that some in the scouting staff are very high on him and think he could be an Adam Fox type value pick. Apparently when the Oilers took Holloway they made the decision to trade down. Take it for what it’s worth. But I thought those were some interesting tidbits.

I think there's a higher chance he's on their DND list.

For a team that preaches character over everything else, Miller is up there as one of, if not the worst human being in the draft.

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad