Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I thought it's about time to get this thread up, this draft class to me looks absolutely stacked and I think with good drafting we could get a great player almost everywhere in the first round.

In the past I emphasized the use of numbers in drafting, Byron Bader an analytics guy has a model that uses prospects age and their production to project their future success.

This is his list and I think it will be interesting to look at this in like 5 years and see how close it was.

IMG_20200126_202817.png

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Guys who I think are consistently underrated are Poirier (no relation to Emile I hope), Gunler, Zary, Perreault, O'Rourke, and Benning (stats aren't too far off of Cale Makar).

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I thought it's about time to get this thread up, this draft class to me looks absolutely stacked and I think with good drafting we could get a great player almost everywhere in the first round.

In the past I emphasized the use of numbers in drafting, Byron Bader an analytics guy has a model that uses prospects age and their production to project their future success.

This is his list and I think it will be interesting to look at this in like 5 years and see how close it was.

View attachment 318665

Any chance you have access to past lists that he has done so that we can compare success?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Any chance you have access to past lists that he has done so that we can compare success?
I don't. I wish I did, I think he has a website that requires a subscription. Otherwise I would, he hasn't done exactly what you said but I believe on the website you can check to see who the best projected player is at any given spot in any draft in the last 30 years or so.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I don't. I wish I did, I think he has a website that requires a subscription. Otherwise I would, he hasn't done exactly what you said but I believe on the website you can check to see who the best projected player is at any given spot in any draft in the last 30 years or so.
Fair enough!

The reason I ask is because I noticed he did not include Dylan Holloway, someone who is frequently looked at in the middle of the 1st round and to me rings of a flames choice, for better or worse.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Fair enough!

The reason I ask is because I noticed he did not include Dylan Holloway, someone who is frequently looked at in the middle of the 1st round and to me rings of a flames choice, for better or worse.
I could see it. I'd hope the Flames wouldn't draft him in the 1st though, late birthday and fairly low production. He's almost old enough to be a 2019 draft pick and only has 10 points in 27 games.

Reminds me a bit of Ryan Poehling in terms of statistics. I've heard good things from people who've watched him but I think it's a big risk to take in the 1st.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we are drafting in that 11-16 area then Dawson Mercer or Dylan Holloway intrigue me. Would prefer to grab some defence in the 2nd and 3rd rounds although I expect us to move those picks for a playoff run.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

This is his list and I think it will be interesting to look at this in like 5 years and see how close it was. Frankly if we did trade Gaudreau he is who I would target. But I am obviously very against trading Johnny.

View attachment 318665

The problem is that the OHL is a game of shinny this year. I would be shocked if Stutzle didn’t go higher then 6th. He’s the full package. I probably take him at #2 personally. Although Rossi scored a stupid one-time backhand goal in the 6 minutes I stumbled upon a 67s game. And everyone has been really high on Byfield. I just wasn’t impressed at the WJC.

I donno though Stutzle is a PPG in a pro-league. Which is incredible. And he was the second best player after Laf at the WJC IMO (maybe Romanov too)

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The problem is that the OHL is a game of shinny this year. I would be shocked if Stutzle didn’t go higher then 6th. He’s the full package. I probably take him at #2 personally. Although Rossi scored a stupid one-time backhand goal in the 6 minutes I stumbled upon a 67s game. And everyone has been really high on Byfield. I just wasn’t impressed at the WJC.

I donno though Stutzle is a PPG in a pro-league. Which is incredible. And he was the second best player after Laf at the WJC IMO (maybe Romanov too)
I'm a big fan of Stutzle too and would consider him if I were picking 3rd. The one issue there is the DEL has never seen a forward prospect as good as Stutzle so it's a little like Elias Pettersen prior to the 2017 draft where he's tearing up a men's league in his draft year but it's a league that few elite prospects have come out of so its hard to tell what he's going to turn into.

I also think Rossi is a great prospect but Stutzle would be my bet as the more likely 1C between the two.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm a big fan of Stutzle too and would consider him if I were picking 3rd. The one issue there is the DEL has never seen a forward prospect as good as Stutzle so it's a little like Elias Pettersen prior to the 2017 draft where he's tearing up a men's league in his draft year but it's a league that few elite prospects have come out of so its hard to tell what he's going to turn into.

I also think Rossi is a great prospect but Stutzle would be my bet as the more likely 1C between the two.

I agree. But I’ve also seen good NHL players go over to the DEL during the lockout and not put up numbers like that. Which tells me he’s a player. Much like when Matthews went over to the Swiss league. I also like that Stutzle has speed, that translates to the NHL more than any skill imo.

That said we likely don’t get a sniff of these guys and are probably looking in the low teens. Players I have never seen or heard of.

Reactions: Dack

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Assuming the top 10 is roughly:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Holtz
Raymond
Drysdale
Rossi
Lundell
Perfetti
Askarov

Best top 10 since 2015.

There are still some great picks in the teens for the Flames:

My top 5 (in no order) after the top 10:
Gunler
Mercer
Bourque
Zary
Amirov

If we keep our pick around 15, 16, 17, there should at least be one of these pretty dang good forwards at our pick. That's a solid top 6 forward that would arguably go top 10 in other drafts. This is just like 2015 where we could have had someone like Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser. Let's make sure we retain this pick and have an additional forward be able to play with Pelletier in the future.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Was looking at Draisaitl's German stats to compare with Stuetzle's to see how he compares and saw that in Draisaitl's U16 season he put up over a 190 points in 32 games. Damnson.jpeg Stuetzle was 89 in 32.

This draft is absolutely stacked though. Just saw Rossi is also outscoring Laf right now. Everyone drafting in the top 10 is getting a stud this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad