Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Was looking at Draisaitl's German stats to compare with Stuetzle's to see how he compares and saw that in Draisaitl's U16 season he put up over a 190 points in 32 games. Damnson.jpeg Stuetzle was 89 in 32.

This draft is absolutely stacked though. Just saw Rossi is also outscoring Laf right now. Everyone drafting in the top 10 is getting a stud this year.

Curiously, Dominik Kahun (C/W) actually outscored Leon that season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Based on a rough approximation of where we're picking, I'd want 1 of the speedsters, Foudy or Perrault.

I'm a big fan of Guhle too, 1 of the best u18 shutdown D I've ever seen.

The Flames can really go for BPA in any position because we just need to rebuild the prospect depth in any way we can.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Did Askarov die or did his WJC performance really throttle him that hard

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Did Askarov die or did his WJC performance really throttle him that hard
I don't get why anyone would take anything but an absolute guarantee of an elite goalie anywhere near the top 10.

Like Gibson worked out Vasliekvsly did too but for each goalie picked fairly high that works there is a Zach Fucale, a Jack Campbell, Mason Mcdonald and Malcolm Subban.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
^Askarov is a cut above those guys in my opinion. Time may very well prove me wrong but I think he is the best goal-tending prospect since Price. That is why teams might consider taking him inside the top 10.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
^Askarov is a cut above those guys in my opinion. Time may very well prove me wrong but I think he is the best goal-tending prospect since Price. That is why teams might consider taking him inside the top 10.

This may be true however I still wouldn't do it. There are a few goalies who year in and year out perform exceptionally and are always worth their contracts. But the vast majority are not, Gibson and Lundqvist (there are more who could be included like Bishop and Rinne prior to this year) are two that stick out to me as being elite consistently. When you look at the other "elite" goalies like Price, Bobrovsky (thought he was truly great and then this season happened), Rask(last year), Holtby to an extent. They all go through ebbs and flows where one season they're right there at the top and look elite then follow it up with average or in the case of Holtby and Bob this year terrible seasons.
I think a real arguement could be made that both Talbot and Rittich have been better than Price, Holtby and Bobrovsky and they make a fraction of their salary.

3 of the last 4 cups have been won by rookie goalies one of which was on his last legs as a prospect and the other who was an elite prospect (who a few years ago probably wouldn't have been traded for Tkachuk. Now? They're both being significantly outplayed by their backups (I think this is part of the goalie life cycle start hot, win net, cool off, be replaced, repeat). The gap between the average goalie and the best goalies in the game is far smaller than defenceman or forwards. Be smart, I love seeing a 7th rounder spent on a small goalie with insane numbers. I see a 7th overall pick on a goalie as lighting money on fire.

Sorry this is written on my phone if some of this makes absolutely no sense.

TlDr; goalies are for the most part a dime a dozen, they're the running backs of the NHL essential to your team but often randoms are able to perform just as well as "stars" spend your money on guys who will make a difference.

Also sidenote: I'm advocating for average goalies. Talbot types. Not sieves like Martin Jones.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This may be true however I still wouldn't do it. There are a few goalies who year in and year out perform exceptionally and are always worth their contracts. But the vast majority are not, Gibson and Lundqvist (there are more who could be included like Bishop and Rinne prior to this year) are two that stick out to me as being elite consistently. When you look at the other "elite" goalies like Price, Bobrovsky (thought he was truly great and then this season happened), Rask(last year), Holtby to an extent. They all go through ebbs and flows where one season they're right there at the top and look elite then follow it up with average or in the case of Holtby and Bob this year terrible seasons.
I think a real arguement could be made that both Talbot and Rittich have been better than Price, Holtby and Bobrovsky and they make a fraction of their salary.

3 of the last 4 cups have been won by rookie goalies one of which was on his last legs as a prospect and the other who was an elite prospect (who a few years ago probably wouldn't have been traded for Tkachuk. Now? They're both being significantly outplayed by their backups (I think this is part of the goalie life cycle start hot, win net, cool off, be replaced, repeat). The gap between the average goalie and the best goalies in the game is far smaller than defenceman or forwards. Be smart, I love seeing a 7th rounder spent on a small goalie with insane numbers. I see a 7th overall pick on a goalie as lighting money on fire.

Sorry this is written on my phone if some of this makes absolutely no sense.

TlDr; goalies are for the most part a dime a dozen, they're the running backs of the NHL essential to your team but often randoms are able to perform just as well as "stars" spend your money on guys who will make a difference.

Also sidenote: I'm advocating for average goalies. Talbot types. Not sieves like Martin Jones.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

I don't know. Say we are the 19th OA pick when all is said and done. Askarov, a goalie projected to be a top 10 goalie, falls right into your lap. There aren't any great skater prospects within our range, would you pick him then? I think with the uncertainty of Parsons and Gillies, we should absolutely go for it. It wouldn't be my favorite pick, but if he were to go that far I would go for it. Just look at Samsonov of the Capitals, he was picked in the first round and looks to be a damn good goalie.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't know. Say we are the 19th OA pick when all is said and done. Askarov, a goalie projected to be a top 10 goalie, falls right into your lap. There aren't any great skater prospects within our range, would you pick him then? I think with the uncertainty of Parsons and Gillies, we should absolutely go for it. It wouldn't be my favorite pick, but if he were to go that far I would go for it. Just look at Samsonov of the Capitals, he was picked in the first round and looks to be a damn good goalie.
I'm not sure. I suppose at that point if he's the clear BPA you can take him but if there's a skater of similar quality I'd lean towards them.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

You mean we've been told he's the best G prospect since Price. Also, I'd put Vasy on par with Price.

Utimately I agree that he is the clear cut #1 goalie prospect, so who knows what could happen if a team is looking for a game changer at that position. But I doubt he goes top 10.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You mean we've been told he's the best G prospect since Price. Also, I'd put Vasy on par with Price.

Utimately I agree that he is the clear cut #1 goalie prospect, so who knows what could happen if a team is looking for a game changer at that position. But I doubt he goes top 10.

I haven’t personally seen anyone compare him to Price, so no.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I haven’t personally seen anyone compare him to Price, so no.

Really?

You haven't read any draft ranking by Bob/Craig, or watched any of the Russian WJC games? Because I can't count how many times that comparison has been used.

Would be hard to form an opinion on the player otherwise.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Depends on BPA. BPA does not factor in what you have on the roster or futures or prospects.

If he's heads and shoulders higher than the remaining options around that range, then hands down you must pick him. This does not change if we won't be able to use him. If we cannot use a the player(s) at BPA, then we can consider trading down and taking more useful assets to get assets we actually can better use, but this type of move is still maximizing BPA.

Don't throw away value on purpose.

But if Askarov and a similar tiered skater show up, as long as it is still BPA to take the skater, you can consider factoring positional need IMO.

I'm not sure. I suppose at that point if he's the clear BPA you can take him but if there's a skater of similar quality I'd lean towards them.

Agreed.

I'd further explain that positional need does not and should not ever trump BPA. But if you have the luxury of BPA players on the same tier AND positional need, then it's OK to factor in positional need. A goalie would not be a good idea because by the time he develops, we are outside of our contention window. As such, trading for a skater who my be ready earlier and within the contention window is a better idea.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It would be the Flaming f***ing cherry atop a Flaming shit sundae if the Flames picked a goalie in the 1st round after finishing a Flaming 9th in the Conference.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It would be the Flaming ****ing cherry atop a Flaming **** sundae if the Flames picked a goalie in the 1st round after finishing a Flaming 9th in the Conference.
You don't want Brent Krahn 2: Electric boogaloo?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You don't want Brent Krahn 2: Electric boogaloo?
f04b721c4c734d82561532d46e838411.gif

Reactions: lilmaxo and Dack

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
so

Laf
Stutzle
Byfield
Holtz
Raymond
Drysdale
Rossi
Perfetti
Lundell

Seem to be the top 9. Then who? We are likely picking 12-17ish

Askarov?
Sanderson?
Mercer?
Zary?
Gunler?
Schneider?

We could really use a stud D in our system. It’s pretty embarrassing back there. I tend to lean Sanderson if he is actually good.

If there isn’t a good D there then Mercer, Gunler, Zary would be good options.

Reactions: Basko34

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
Gunler has a nice right handed shot...haven’t seen him much, but what I saw was well rounded...
But you are right the D prospect pool looks embarrassing...

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I like Ryan O'Rourke if he falls to the 2nd, he's a young LHD who has 35 points in 50 games, he leads his team in +/-. I think he could be a steal. He's also apparently very physical.

I wish CHL stats was still a thing, I'd be able to go more in depth with prospects.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
#25 Mavrik Bourque looks to be a great fit for Calgary. How can you go wrong with a guy named Mavrik in Calgary?

q52d9-1510694479-523-lists-maverick_everett_garner_color.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad