Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Yeah I'm really warming up to for Jack Quinn, I think there's easily a chance he goes top10 (or top15 the least).

I'd also like to mention that there's still a lot of hockey to be played. The players don't care for the draft as much as they care about winning games, and if the team continues to play like they have this whole stretch after the Hall trade, they won't be in the top5 and who knows might even play themselves out of top8. Which means no Drysdale or Stützle. So let's tone down the excitement a bit, so we don't get disappointed.

The good news is that there's guys like Jack Quinn outside the top10 (right now). The bad news is, it's us, and we never seem to take the guy who the fans want or majority of people think we should take (unless we have the #1 pick ofcourse).

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Zadorov is precisely the physical, stay-at-home D prospect Subban and the Devils need. I think that's a great idea, but are the Avs open to trading him? I would rather sign Greene for one more year and trade Butcher. I think Butcher's defensive play is unfixable and his lack of speed glaring, but a team might be willing to send us a 2nd+3rd for him due to his 40+ point capability. Also two guys who would be perfect fits will be available as UFAs in Brendan Dillon and Joel Edmundson. On RD I'd like to pick up a defensive-minded veteran to pair with Smith on a short-term deal. Ron Hainsey for one season? How about this for 2020-21:

Edmundson-Subban
Dillon-Severson
Smith/Greene-Hainsey/Carrick

Which would then turn into this for 2021-22:

Edmundson-Subban
Smith-Severson
Dillon-Walsh
I like the idea of helping Smith with a veteran, but Hainsey is really old. There must be better options. Braun? Gudas?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I could see Colorado moving Zadorov if they aren't prepared to pay him and to open up a spot for Bowen Byram (and/or Conor Timmins). Ryan Graves kinda came out of nowhere this year, so he's looking for a decent pay raise this summer as well.
From what I gather from Avs fans it's expansion draft related. They think, they won't be able to protect him and therefore rather trade him for something valuable sooner or later, than lose him for nothing.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
From what I gather from Avs fans it's expansion draft related. They think, they won't be able to protect him and therefore rather trade him for something valuable sooner or later, than lose him for nothing.

They will need to protect Makar since he played in the playoffs last season, and Johnson because of his NMC, and Girard. That's three.

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'd also like to mention that there's still a lot of hockey to be played. The players don't care for the draft as much as they care about winning games, and if the team continues to play like they have this whole stretch after the Hall trade, they won't be in the top5 and who knows might even play themselves out of top8. Which means no Drysdale or Stützle. So let's tone down the excitement a bit, so we don't get disappointed.

It really depends on how often Blackwood plays. If they had a serviceable goalie, I'm sure they'd be willing to give even split to blackwood and other goalie but...domigue is freaking awful so idk..kinda have feeling they may lean more on blackwood.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like the idea of helping Smith with a veteran, but Hainsey is really old. There must be better options. Braun? Gudas?

My idea of Hainsey was that I'd want a guy on a short-term deal. I might give more term to a guy like Gudas (or Chris Tanev), but not to a Braun. Hainsey at least takes care of his own end, and would be a nice mentor for Smith in my mind. But your point is certainly sound.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Very random thought: Would you consider moving Arizona's 1st to Minnesota for Matt Boldy? If I recall correctly, Boldy flanked Hughes at the USNTDP. Boldy was ice cold to start the year at Boston College, but since they've moved him back to LW from center he's been a point per game. His shooting percentage is a strangely low 3.5% which is usually a good bet for a rebound (ie, many on HF were concerned that Brady Tkachuk only produced 8 goals in his freshman year when he also only shot 6%).

Minnesota perhaps wouldn't mind a mulligan with the pick with a new GM in charge. I think part of their thought process was that Boldy could be a long term center since he moved to wing at the program since they had Hughes/Zegras/Turcotte. Just thinking hypothetically if the BPA at that spot is a center like Anton Lundell.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Very random thought: Would you consider moving Arizona's 1st to Minnesota for Matt Boldy? If I recall correctly, Boldy flanked Hughes at the USNTDP. Boldy was ice cold to start the year at Boston College, but since they've moved him back to LW from center he's been a point per game. His shooting percentage is a strangely low 3.5% which is usually a good bet for a rebound (ie, many on HF were concerned that Brady Tkachuk only produced 8 goals in his freshman year when he also only shot 6%).

Minnesota perhaps wouldn't mind a mulligan with the pick with a new GM in charge. I think part of their thought process was that Boldy could be a long term center since he moved to wing at the program since they had Hughes/Zegras/Turcotte. Just thinking hypothetically if the BPA at that spot is a center like Anton Lundell.

that would definitely be a boldy move. i haven't followed him this year, but I heard a lot of good things about him leading up to the draft

Reactions: Darkauron

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I can’t see the Wild moving a prospect they drafted last year for a pick. Plus, I don’t care at all about who played with Jack Hughes in juniors. It was like all the mooning over Caufield, Hughes is in the big boy league and needs to succeed with different players.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I can’t see the Wild moving a prospect they drafted last year for a pick. Plus, I don’t care at all about who played with Jack Hughes in juniors. It was like all the mooning over Caufield, Hughes is in the big boy league and needs to succeed with different players.

Yeah, I suppose for me I just like Boldy as a prospect and it's a small bonus that he played with Jack. I was just taking a look at the guys who are in the 10-20 range and it seemed like there was a bit of a pocket of centers and defense in that range. I was doing a premature mock draft and the tankathon results still netted us Drysdale with our pick. Even though I know you shouldn't draft by position, I couldn't help but then want to draft a wing with the Arizona pick.

As for the Wild moving a recently drafted prospect, I agree that's a long shot. But as I mentioned before, Bill Guerin wasn't GM there when the pick was made so he might not feel as married to it. And part of Minnesota's projection seemed to be Boldy being a potential center down the line, but it's looking more like he's more comfortable at wing. So perhaps they'd be willing to move Boldy if it meant getting a center; Albeit Minnesota will have a pick in the same range as Arizona's, so they could always just keep Boldy and draft their own center.

It doesn't happen frequently, but it's not without precedent that a team would move a prospect for a pick a year later. St. Louis drafted David Rundblad in 2009 when it seemed like they were stacked with RD, then they moved him a year later to Ottawa for a pick they used on Vladimir Tarasenko. It was before my time as a fan, but the Devils drafted Corey Foster 12th overall in 1988 then traded him for the 18th pick in 1989.

Anyways, it was just a late night thought that I'm not sold on either.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Interesting idea, for certain. But I don't make that move until I see where Arizona's pick falls and who is available with it. I'd rather have Boldy than some of the kids who could fall into the late teens, but would I take Boldy over a high-upside prospect like Jack Quinn or Jan Mysak who could be available at #11 or #12? I'm not sure.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Last night's loss by Winnipeg to San Jose (in the West Side Story Classic, as I like to call it) was significant to the Devils. Had Winnipeg won, the Arizona first-rounder would have been 12th overall. Winnipeg's loss kept the Coyotes in the last Western playoff slot, which puts their pick at #17 overall. That's a huge drop. Anyway, here's another mini-mock:

1 DET LW Lafreniere
2 LA C Byfield
3 OTT LW Raymond
4 NJ C Stutzle
5 ANH RW Holtz
6 OTT D Drysdale
7 CHI C Rossi
8 BUF LW Perfetti
9 MTL LW Mysak
10 MIN C Lundell
11 NSH G Askarov
12 WPG C Zary
13 NYR LW Gunler
14 FLA LW Holloway
15 CAR RW Quinn
16 CAR D Sanderson
17 NJ D Schneider
18 CGY D Mukhamadullin

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Last night's loss by Winnipeg to San Jose (in the West Side Story Classic, as I like to call it) was significant to the Devils. Had Winnipeg won, the Arizona first-rounder would have been 12th overall. Winnipeg's loss kept the Coyotes in the last Western playoff slot, which puts their pick at #17 overall. That's a huge drop. Anyway, here's another mini-mock:

1 DET LW Lafreniere
2 LA C Byfield
3 OTT LW Raymond
4 NJ C Stutzle
5 ANH RW Holtz
6 OTT D Drysdale
7 CHI C Rossi
8 BUF LW Perfetti
9 MTL LW Mysak
10 MIN C Lundell
11 NSH G Askarov
12 WPG C Zary
13 NYR LW Gunler
14 FLA LW Holloway
15 CAR RW Quinn
16 CAR D Sanderson
17 NJ D Schneider
18 CGY D Mukhamadullin

I'm wondering if OTT goes Drysdale with their 1st pick, knowing that they can get a very good forward with their 2nd. I think they're the biggest threat to pick Drysdale over us.

I'm also pretty confident Arizona's going to drop into the top 12, and as I've said before, Form my reading I'm completely infatuated with Quinn. I may actually even like him more than Holtz at this point.

I keep thinking - *IF* we win the 2nd pick in the lottery and Arizona's pick falls into the the top 10, would you consider trading our picks for the two Ottawa picks?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm wondering if OTT goes Drysdale with their 1st pick, knowing that they can get a very good forward with their 2nd. I think they're the biggest threat to pick Drysdale over us.

I'm also pretty confident Arizona's going to drop into the top 12, and as I've said before, Form my reading I'm completely infatuated with Quinn. I may actually even like him more than Holtz at this point.

I keep thinking - *IF* we win the 2nd pick in the lottery and Arizona's pick falls into the the top 10, would you consider trading our picks for the two Ottawa picks?

Yes, Ottawa could take Drysdale. Certainly a possibility with the #3 pick.

Yes, I agree that Arizona misses the playoffs -- remember, I called that on the day of the Taylor Hall trade, when the Coyotes were in first place.

Yes, there is good reason to be infatuated with Jack Quinn. He's just a sick, pure goal scorer. I don't know if I would rank him over Holtz -- the Swedish forward is more athletic and has a more complete game. But that's no knock on Quinn -- Holtz can also be drafted as early as #3 overall.

No, I don't see any GM seeing an imperative to risk trading two top 10 picks for two other top 10 picks. Then again, you have a point that Ottawa could really build around Byfield as the centerpiece of a talented future squad. But still, you're talking a ton of IFs right now.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon

1 DET LW Lafreniere
2 LA C Byfield
3 OTT LW Raymond
4 NJ C Stutzle
5 ANH RW Holtz
6 OTT D Drysdale
7 CHI C Rossi
8 BUF LW Perfetti
9 MTL LW Mysak
10 MIN C Lundell
11 NSH G Askarov
12 WPG C Zary
13 NYR LW Gunler
14 FLA LW Holloway
15 CAR RW Quinn
16 CAR D Sanderson
17 NJ D Schneider
18 CGY D Mukhamadullin

If we came away with Stutzle and Schnieder I'd be very pumped. I remember watching Schnieder at last years U-18's and being really impressed in his D-1 year.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If we came away with Stutzle and Schnieder I'd be very pumped. I remember watching Schnieder at last years U-18's and being really impressed in his D-1 year.

In a 2020 draft class where Drysdale is the undisputed top defender, there has been great debate over ranking the defenders afterwards.

In my mind, the second tier of D for 2020 is clearly Mukhamadullin and Schneider. Mukhamadullin has dynamic, top-pairing, two-way upside while Schneider offers the highest floor of any D in the class. He's a lock to make it as a big, fast, physical 2nd pairing guy, and I think his offensive ceiling has been understated. He's never going to score 60+ points, but there's no reason to think he can't be a 40-point, 2nd PP unit player.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think Ottawa will take Drysdale unless they get the 1st or 2nd pick and then maybe they draft him with their second high 1st. Brady Tkachuk and Colin White are good young players but Ottawa needs top line offensive talent ASAP. Their leading scorer is Connor Brown with 35 points.

Drysdale, like any defenseman, will take time to mature and make an impact. Unless they’re super high on Drysdale the Sens they should address the defense later in the draft. They can draft a couple in the 2nd round, they have three 2nds already, or package picks to get one late in the 1st round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t think Ottawa will take Drysdale unless they get the 1st or 2nd pick and then maybe they draft him with their second high 1st. Brady Tkachuk and Colin White are good young players but Ottawa needs top line offensive talent ASAP. Their leading scorer is Connor Brown with 35 points.

Drysdale, like any defenseman, will take time to mature and make an impact. Unless they’re super high on Drysdale the Sens they should address the defense later in the draft. They can draft a couple in the 2nd round, they have three 2nds already, or package picks to get one late in the 1st round.

Well, I had the Senators drafting #3 + #6 and then taking Drysdale at #6, which I think is reasonable. I considered Marco Rossi there as well, but Ottawa rarely drafts undersized Fs or central Europeans, so I went with Drysdale. In my mind, Drysdale is also the best available player at that spot. I rank him #4 overall for 2020 right now.

1 Lafreniere
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4 Drysdale
5 Rossi
6 Raymond
7 Askarov
8 Holtz
9 Perfetti
10 Mysak or Quinn

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
**** Braun.

That’s one player I’d rather have Andy Greene over.

I'm not a Braun fan, either. He's a serviceable third-pairing guy, but won't be worth whatever he gets on the UFA market.

Tanev would be a great add at RD, but I'm not certain Vancouver is going to let him go. Very good defender, a lot of sand in his game, great shot-blocker, good locker-room guy and leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain