Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
What's with all these Leafs and Habs fans trying to dunk on the Canes for losing after winning a round or two once again?

Your teams rarely have done that recently. Andersen and Kotkaniemi are such minor characters. Stop being petty. Who really cares about those players?

The Canes are what they are. They lack the elite scoring talent needed to take that next step. They have a good system and coach and good depth, but their best players are routinely worse than the best players on the teams they lose to.

I was having an argument in the trade board last year about if Aho was better than Buchnevich or not, and I was half joking in saying Buchnevich, and then I compared their stats and holy shit their stats were similar. Aho is supposed to be this star player around the league and he's really just a guy. Same with Svechnikov. These are not elite players. They are supporting players for elite players. Yeah, Slavin is great defensively, but does defense really win in today's NHL compared to offense?

Canes need to go out there and trade for a Marner or sign Stamkos or get someone like that if they want to have a better chance. Probably actually need two guys like that. Guentzel is a very good player. Always gives the Rangers trouble, but he's not solving your scoring troubles and leading your offense. He was the second best guy on his own line in Pittsburgh.

You are asking for elite goalscoring and then trade for Marner who always becomes nobody in playoffs?

Canes biggest problem was that the depth was not there. I agree that Aho or Guentzel/Svech are not on same level as other teams top end talent, but biggest difference comes when you start comparing their second or third lines and goaltending.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They're the 2009-2017 Capitals at this point, something always goes wrong from them in the playoffs. Last year, their scoring disappeared v Florida after dismantling the Devils round 2 in every which way. This year, Freddy Andersen collapsed at the worst times. 2022, their goalie/non existent powerplay lost them a series against the Rangers. Their core got wasted by an owner who decided to cheap on talent in net and on the blue line. They keep Hamilton in 2021 and sign a decent goalie in between and they're probably Stanley Cup Champs at least once.
They were losing games with Kochetkov in the net also.

Their biggest issue every year is scoring. You win in the playoffs with star players and they don’t have them. It’s no more complicated than that.

Freddy Andersen is just a distraction topic.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
They're the 2009-2017 Capitals at this point, something always goes wrong from them in the playoffs. Last year, their scoring disappeared v Florida after dismantling the Devils round 2 in every which way. This year, Freddy Andersen collapsed at the worst times. 2022, their goalie/non existent powerplay lost them a series against the Rangers. Their core got wasted by an owner who decided to cheap on talent in net and on the blue line. They keep Hamilton in 2021 and sign a decent goalie in between and they're probably Stanley Cup Champs at least once.
They're the oddest team, they go on streaks where they look invincible then they go on streaks where they look terrible. They have a lot of good pieces yet can't go far into the playoffs like many say they're going to. Strange. It must be really frustrating to be a Canes fan.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You are asking for elite goalscoring and then trade for Marner who always becomes nobody in playoffs?

Canes biggest problem was that the depth was not there. I agree that Aho or Guentzel/Svech are not on same level as other teams top end talent, but biggest difference comes when you start comparing their second or third lines and goaltending.
Rangers have straight up bums in their bottom six. Rangers third line has combined for 4 points in 10 playoff games.

You win and lose in the playoffs based off your best players. The reason this game went to the Rangers was their best players showed up. The Canes best didn’t.

And yes, goaltending is part of that. Canes gotta find out how to acquire stars. Maybe get Saros or someone like that. They need true all stars. Saros, Marner, Stamkos. Players who will drive the bus and carry you to winning a series.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They were losing games with Kochetkov in the net also.

Their biggest issue every year is scoring. You win in the playoffs with star players and they don’t have them. It’s no more complicated than that.

Freddy Andersen is just a distraction topic.

The goals Kochetkov gave up were not soft in that game 3, Andersen gave up a softy once per game in this series. Not sure how it's "distraction topic"

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Rangers have straight up bums in their bottom six. Rangers third line has combined for 4 points in 10 playoff games.

You win and lose in the playoffs based off your best players. The reason this game went to the Rangers was their best players showed up. The Canes best didn’t.

And yes, goaltending is part of that. Canes gotta find out how to acquire stars. Maybe get Saros or someone like that. They need true all stars. Saros, Marner, Stamkos. Players who will drive the bus and carry you to winning a series.

Marner does not carry bro. He is f***ing horrible in playoffs.

Rangers won because they had two amazing lines who can produce and goaltender who can win games for them.

If canes had as good second line as rangers they most likely won this series. Now they had one line who could do something and thats it. Trocheck/laf/panarin f***ing destroyed Staals line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The goals Kochetkov gave up were not soft in that game 3, Andersen gave up a softy once per game in this series. Not sure how it's "distraction topic"
It’s a distraction topic because it allows them to not make any true changes year after year. They’ll rotate in and out a bunch of mediocre goalies every year. Look at Toronto. Look at Edmonton. All these teams are still waiting for their Cup. None of them have even made the SCF.

They need to go get some star players. Maybe that’s a goalie, but it’s so lame when people start blaming the 10th best player on a team. It comes down to your stars. They don’t have those.

Marner does not carry bro. He is f***ing horrible in playoffs.

Rangers won because they had two amazing lines who can produce and goaltender who can win games for them.

If canes had as good second line as rangers they most likely won this series. Now they had one line who could do something and thats it. Trocheck/laf/panarin f***ing destroyed Staals line.
Marner might not be a playoff player so far in his career, but I promise you he has more playoff potential than Aho or Svechnikov.

And it sounds like I’m dragging those two guys. They are good support players to help out stars. They are being set up to fail being tasked with matching true star players on other teams.

• Haha
Reactions: king89

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It’s a distraction topic because it allows them to not make any true changes year after year. They’ll rotate in and out a bunch of mediocre goalies every year. Look at Toronto. Look at Edmonton. All these teams are still waiting for their Cup. None of them have even made the SCF.

They need to go get some star players. Maybe that’s a goalie, but it’s so lame when people start blaming the 10th best player on a team. It comes down to your stars. They don’t have those.

I would agree with this if their top line wasn't amazing this series, Svech-Aho-Guentzel were elite. Re-sign Guentzel and let some of their UFA's walk, hope that Jarvis/Necas take bridges and you can go in one last time within a window with this core. They're also adding Nishikin very soon who could become a top 5 PP QB in the league at his ceiling

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Marner might not be a playoff player so far in his career, but I promise you he has more playoff potential than Aho or Svechnikov.

And it sounds like I’m dragging those two guys. They are good support players for stars. They are being set up to fail.

Marner and Aho stats during playoffs are not that far away from each other if i remember correctly, but Marner just does not have it what it takes for playoffs. Just watch him play during playoffs. If you wanna switch Aho there is zero f***ing reason to switch him to Marner. Things would only get worse

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
I would agree with this if their top line wasn't amazing this series, Svech-Aho-Guentzel were elite. Re-sign Guentzel and let some of their UFA's walk, hope that Jarvis/Necas take bridges and you can go in one last time within a window with this core. They're also adding Nishikin very soon who could become a top 5 PP QB in the league at his ceiling

I complitely agree that Canes top line need to deliver more. But i also think that they need proper second line C and that line also has to be able to produce.

You can look Florida/Dallas/Colorado/Rangers. They all have atleast two lines who can score goals. Also have goalie who can win games (Colorado might be question, but they most elite firepower)

Canes star players are not as good those teams star players, but the biggest difference still comes from that ”depth”. Canes did not have it

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Very strange series. Carolina looked like the better team alot of the times in the first 3 games, yet the Rangers go up 3-0.

Tonight it looks like we are going back to game 7 then the Rangers pull it out. I actually had to stop watching at 3-1, and was very surprised to see the result.

Massive credit to the Rangers, faced adversity & pulled it out, earned the win. And now the questions come for a Carolina team that feels they probably deserved a bit better.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Very strange series. Carolina looked like the better team alot of the times in the first 3 games, yet the Rangers go up 3-0.

Tonight it looks like we are going back to game 7 then the Rangers pull it out. I actually had to stop watching at 3-1, and was very surprised to see the result.

Massive credit to the Rangers, faced adversity & pulled it out, earned the win. And now the questions come for a Carolina team that feels they probably deserved a bit better.
Respectfully, I hate the sense of entitlement that the word "deserves" shows. I'm not aiming this at you, but if any losing team thinks they "deserved" to win, then f*** them and their thinking.
If you win, you deserve to win. If you don't win, you didn't deserve to win.
Period.

Had the Hurricanes won this game, or this series, I would have posted a comment congratulating them on their win, same as I did after Game 5.
To me, none of this stuff is a mystery, it's all just common sense. The better team wins.

Last edited:

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Got to say, I just love to watch how offersheeting Kotkaniemi keeps biting Canes in the ass. Their window is about to close and all they got was nine years of criminally overpaid 4th line center.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
What a choke job by Carolina in the third. Brutal.

NY once again near the bottom of all playoff participants in advanced possession metrics. It's the Shesterkin show on Broadway. They're barely a playoff team without him.
Rangers were slightly ahead or slightly behind 5v5 pretty much every game. Shot quality>>>>>>shot volume.

Reactions: clmetsfan

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
That's not how statistics work, nor did I say anything to that effect. Teams with superior possession games tend to win more often than not, but certainly not a guarantee. It's a statistical fact.

Any others words you want to put in my mouth?
You claimed it is only because Rangers have good goaltending. Rags also create high danger scoring chances with their possession.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Good on the Rangers. don't think many fans saw them doing this good in the reagular season at start of season, and even though they won president's trophy i also don't think many people saw them going far at start of playoffs.

As for Carolina....it's tough. They always do well in the playoff it seems, but still fail to take that next step. Still way better than many other teams who cant qualify, or make it past round 1 - but in terms of going all the way, seems to be something missing.

Rangers are too good a team to lose after going up 3-0. Carolina put up a good fight, but they absolutely needed to win one of the first 3 games to have a legitimate chance.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Rob Brind'Amor tenure 2018 - 2024

Hurricanes have gotten through the 1st round 6 x in a row now, but.. once through the 2nd round..
3 division titles, nothing more.

6 years is a long time, maybe its time for them to change the tune?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Their window is about to close
Open up your logics with this a bit? Canes doesn't for example have any expensive legacy NMC contracts dating back to the prime years of their superstars. There's a roster turnover upcoming this summer, yes, and some familiar names won't be returning, but we're not talking about a rebuild here.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
That's not how statistics work, nor did I say anything to that effect. Teams with superior possession games tend to win more often than not, but certainly not a guarantee. It's a statistical fact.

Any others words you want to put in my mouth?
Quality over quantity. Do you get it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad