4.) Raymond
5.) Drysdale
6.) Askarov
7.) Lundell
8.) Holtz
9.) Perfetti
10.) Sanderson
11.) Jarvis
12.) Lapierre (I get the health concerns)
13.) Rossi
14.) Zary
15.) Guhle

To explain the one I am sure will anger most:
Rossi was in the mix at 10 for me, I just like those other guys a little more in that 10-14 range/tier for me. I know that will upset some, he has a lot of his fans. I just am not quite as enamored with how he will translate and the more I dug into him the less I actually liked his game. I can see why coaches like him and I think he is an extremely hard worker, but I see a middle sixer when I try to translate him up and more of just a solid one at that. He needs to find another gear in his skating, if we draft him that will be my pounding drumbeat in terms of we need to find a way to get that elevated if we hope to not be wasting a top 5 pick.
Very interesting list. I think having Byfield above Laf is a bold choice, and one that I can understand. He has probably the most enticing combination of tools of any player this year, but I've always wanted to see him put it all together. I was not impressed by the few games that I saw this year, and I think due to his age he needs another year in Junior. Laf on the other hand is clearly ready to make the jump, and projects to be a very capable first line winger for years to come. I agree that Byfield is the most likely (at this time) to surpass Laf as the best-in-class, but I would hesitate to take him over Laf as of now.

That said, I think agree with the top 4, and think they are all pretty close and who goes first will likely depend on the team.

Similar to Byfield, I've wanted to see more overall intensity or complete domination from Drysdale, as he is fairly passive in his own end. I think he should be the first defensmen off the board, but I'm less and less sold on him as being as enticing as the top 4.

Askarov is appropriately ranked, but he likely won't be drafted that high. He will be a starter for many years.

I'm surprised you have Lundell as high you do, given his serious concerns with skating. I think he is far less likely to be a top 6 center than Rossi, for instance, because I'm not enamored with his offensive upside. I will likely drop him in my final ranking.

I really like the ranking of Jarvis too, I haven't paid enough attention to him and I'll be looking for more video. He has been underrated throughout this process. I really like his game.

Other than the ranking of Rossi being criminally low, I understand the rest of your list (even having Lapierre as high as you do, because I'm hopeful he can turn it around).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm surprised you have Lundell as high you do, given his serious concerns with skating. I think he is far less likely to be a top 6 center than Rossi

Lundell has a significantly higher floor as far as playing down the middle goes.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Lundell has a significantly higher floor as far as playing down the middle goes.
I would have agreed a few months ago, but I think Rossi's floor is a lot higher than people give him credit for. His offensive game is far superior to Lundell's and he has a lot of tenacity on the back end too. Lundell feels like a player who is very safe to project as a third line player, but I have serious questions about his ability to be a top 6 center. Similar to a lot of concerns people had about Veleno back in '18 (which I have never agreed with, to be fair). While I think there is a higher chance Rossi ends up as a Winger than Lundell, I feel far better at projecting him into a top 6 role than Lundell at this point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Zary is the guy I am higher on than most and I really think he will be the one in 2-3 years people are asking why he didn’t go higher.

Wallinder I have not seen a lot of, but he is really a guy who fits the mold of defenseman you like.

I am not comfortable putting Sanderson in my top 10 or 15, but I see the appeal.

Wallinder is probably going to be #16 on my list if I am being honest. He does play the kind of game and have the plus skating I like in my back-end players.

I have a type in terms of those.:laugh:

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Wallinder is my first choice at 32. I don’t think he will be there but I can hope. My backup choices for LH dman are O’Rourke ( robably gone) Joni Jurmo, and Alexandr Nikishin. Jurmo might make it to our third pick but he seems like a cloan of Wallinder He’s 6:04 and a great skater so it’s a roll of the dice if you wait on him. The write up on Nikishin and his hitting has me convinced to take him. We have a big hole in our draft between our 65 pick and 116. May have to take him at 65 but then that’s three LH dmen already. I want Blomqvist, the goalie so that will take up another spot

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Wallinder is my first choice at 32. I don’t think he will be there but I can hope. My backup choices for LH dman are O’Rourke ( robably gone) Joni Jurmo, and Alexandr Nikishin. Jurmo might make it to our third pick but he seems like a cloan of Wallinder He’s 6:04 and a great skater so it’s a roll of the dice if you wait on him. The write up on Nikishin and his hitting has me convinced to take him. We have a big hole in our draft between our 65 pick and 116. May have to take him at 65 but then that’s three LH dmen already. I want Blomqvist, the goalie so that will take up another spot

He won't be available at 32, which really sucks because his potential is insane.

Last edited:

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Unlikely Wallinder lasts to our second pick but if you go to Elite prospects none of the scouting services have him in their top 31. That includes Central Scouting, ISS, Future Considerations, Hockey Prospects, and McKeens. The rankings I believe are their latest because of no hockey. Only Elite Prospects themselves has him as a late first rounder At 26. They also have Stutzle at 7 or 8 so I’m not sure of them. I can always hope

Reactions: hkydave04

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Unlikely Wallinder lasts to our second pick but if you go to Elite prospects none of the scouting services have him in their top 31. That includes Central Scouting, ISS, Future Considerations, Hockey Prospects, and McKeens. The rankings I believe are their latest because of no hockey. Only Elite Prospects themselves has him as a late first rounder At 26. They also have Stutzle at 7 or 8 so I’m not sure of them. I can always hope
6'4" Sweden defenseman, with not many high end defenseman prospects in this draft , not going to last. There is Andrea, he might be even better

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My guess is NHL will resumes after 4 of July without Red Wings. Draft probably September.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Goalies from my average rank.

11.7 = (1st round) --- 6'3 Jaroslav Askarov (RUS)
63.8 = (2nd-3rd round) -- 6'1 Joel Blomqvist (FIN)
74.1 = (3rd round) --- 6'4 Nico Daws (CAN)
85.1 = (3rd round) --- 6'4 Jan Bednar (CZE)
96.8 = (3rd-4th round) -- 6'2 Nick Malik (CZE)
102.8 = (4th round) --- 6'2 Drew Commesso (USA)
121.3 = (4th-5th round) -- 6'2 Calle Glang (SWE)
123.4 = (4th-5th round) -- 6'0 Amir Miftakhov (RUS)
129.4 = (5th round) --- 6'4 Samuel Hlavaj (SVK)
189.3 = (6th-7th round) -- 6'2 Garin Bjorklund (CAN)

Haven't seen all play, but liked most overager Miftakhov who I've seen. Blomqvist is also in a good place for development (Kärpät Oulu). I think you have to reach Blomqvist on the 2nd round, if you want him. 3rd round is usually the "round of goalies". Most of this class will be picked there.

Last edited:

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Board of Governors meets today. I wonder if we see a decision on the draft this week.

Selfishly want Bettman to pull the trigger on a June draft. Having to wait until the fall would be torture.

Reactions: Darkseider

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Goalies from my average rank.

11.7 = (1st round) - Jaroslav Askarov (RUS)
63.8 = (2n-3rd round) - Joel Blomqvist (FIN)
74.1 = (3rd round) - Nico Daws (CAN)
85.1 = (3rd round) - Jan Bednar (CZE)
96.8 = (3rd-4th round) - Nick Malik (CZE)
102.8 = (4th round) - Drew Commesso (USA)
121.3 = (4th-5th round) - Calle Glang (SWE)
123.4 = (4th-5th round) - Amir Miftakhov (RUS)
129.4 = (5th round) - Samuel Hlavaj (SVK)
189.3 = (6th-7th round) - Garin Bjorklund (CAN)

Haven't seen all play, but liked most overager Miftakhov who I've seen. Blomqvist is also in a good place for development (Kärpät Oulu).
Whether or not we take a G in round 2/3, I'd grab Bjorklund in that range. He was a top WHL prospect, has international xp, and did "not to bad" relative to the top prospect he backed up (Sogaard). Actually, maybe he goes much higher than that.

Christien

May 1, 2010
I watched this whole tourney and Byfield was really solid but didnt dominate like he should have all things considered. Perfetti absolutely stole the show
No doubt, Perfetti was great during that tournament

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
No doubt, Perfetti was great during that tournament

I have such a hard time figuring him out as a pro that I really don't know what to make of him. I said before though that I wouldn't be shocked if he is the second best player to come out of this class.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have such a hard time figuring him out as a pro that I really don't know what to make of him. I said before though that I wouldn't be shocked if he is the second best player to come out of this class.

Gave him serious consideration for my top 5.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I can see a case for him as high as 4. I absolutely would not take him above that, but I get the argument for taking him at 4. Again, I personally wouldn't do it, but I think the argument is reasonable.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I can see a case for him as high as 4. I absolutely would not take him above that, but I get the argument for taking him at 4. Again, I personally wouldn't do it, but I think the argument is reasonable.

He will be in my top 5, probably around 4. Specifically for the reason that he is among the players that I think are equipped to be the best player in the draft. He’s too smart and his game is too diverse to sleep on his potential.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Pretty locked in on this as a top 15

1.) Byfield
2.) Lafreniere
3.) Stutzle
4.) Raymond
5.) Drysdale
6.) Askarov
7.) Lundell
8.) Holtz
9.) Perfetti
10.) Sanderson
11.) Jarvis
12.) Lapierre (I get the health concerns)
13.) Rossi
14.) Zary
15.) Guhle

To explain the one I am sure will anger most:
Rossi was in the mix at 10 for me, I just like those other guys a little more in that 10-14 range/tier for me. I know that will upset some, he has a lot of his fans. I just am not quite as enamored with how he will translate and the more I dug into him the less I actually liked his game. I can see why coaches like him and I think he is an extremely hard worker, but I see a middle sixer when I try to translate him up and more of just a solid one at that. He needs to find another gear in his skating, if we draft him that will be my pounding drumbeat in terms of we need to find a way to get that elevated if we hope to not be wasting a top 5 pick.
I agree no one in this draft is a slam dunk, but isn't rossi's skating already better than perfetti.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I would have agreed a few months ago, but I think Rossi's floor is a lot higher than people give him credit for. His offensive game is far superior to Lundell's and he has a lot of tenacity on the back end too. Lundell feels like a player who is very safe to project as a third line player, but I have serious questions about his ability to be a top 6 center. Similar to a lot of concerns people had about Veleno back in '18 (which I have never agreed with, to be fair). While I think there is a higher chance Rossi ends up as a Winger than Lundell, I feel far better at projecting him into a top 6 role than Lundell at this point.
Lundell's skating is not actually bad. He may not be a first line center, but the team that has him as their # 2 will have great center depth and the team that has him as their # 3 will win at least one Stanley cup.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree no one in this draft is a slam dunk, but isn't rossi's skating already better than perfetti.

It is, but Perfetti is widely considered to need a move to the wing in the NHL, so his mid to late top 10 ranking is built in with that assumption. Seeing Rossi up around 4 is predicated on him being able to transition at center pretty seamlessly. I know TZE does not buy into him as a center, and that is reflected in dropping him quite a bit, similar (yet a bit more) than what we saw with Perfetti.

If Perfetti was a plus plus skater and believed to translate at center, he’d be right up with Lafreniere and Byfield for most people.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lundell's skating is not actually bad. He may not be a first line center, but the team that has him as their # 2 will have great center depth and the team that has him as their # 3 will win at least one Stanley cup.

It's quite interesting that Lundell's primary points production per game or per ES ice-time, was par with Holtz and better than Raymond.

2nd best Corsi% in Liiga etc. 53% at faceoffs, never seen any draft-aged kid being over 50. Even Barkov wasn't.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad