NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Putting up healthy Havlat numbers (70+ points) as a centre is not disappointing.
Stutzle needs to be a 82-90+ point player for him to be worth his ranking in my opinion. Might be lofty but that's what I would expect if people are gushing over him that much. 70 is not enough especially in today's game

Reactions: GCK

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Putting up healthy Havlat numbers (70+ points) as a centre is not disappointing. Barzal is a reasonable projection for Stutzle.

Havlat was putting up point per game numbers in the clutch and grab era. His numbers would be much better with how the game is now being played. And he was doing it while playing mostly on the third line.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Stutzle needs to be a 82-90+ point player for him to be worth his ranking in my opinion. Might be lofty but that's what I would expect if people are gushing over him that much. 70 is not enough especially in today's game
Be prepared to be disappointed unless Lafreniere somehow falls to 3rd then. Even then, it's far from a sure thing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A large majority of guys who go 2-3 aren’t ppg players. If we get a ppg guy at 3, we outdid our draft spot.

The only ones since 2005 are Huberdeau, Barkov, Drai, Eichel, and Seguin.

Last edited:

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

There are only a handful of guys that score 90+ points each season. If a top 3 pick automatically equated to a 90+ point player each season, there'd be a hell of a lot more 90+ point scorers.

I would agree that a ceiling of 70 would be mildly disappointing. I'm hoping for a guy that's hitting 75 consistently, and getting into the 80s and 90s occasionally. There aren't a ton of players doing that, and a player like that has a significant impact.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
A large majority of guys who go 2-3 aren’t ppg players. If we get a ppg guy at 3, we outdid our draft spot.

The only ones since 2005 are Huberdeau, Barkov, Drai, Eichel, and Seguin.
I said they're lofty, but those are my expectations for Stutzle being ranked so high. He doesn't offer much else, he is a pure scorer and needs to be a legit star offensively to pass on other guys like Raymond and Drysdale. For him to even sniff Lafreniere according to some scouts, he should be that good of a scorer. He wouldn't be a bust if he doesn't reach that, it would just be a disappointment for me. Just my opinion.

Reactions: GCK

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
There are only a handful of guys that score 90+ points each season. If a top 3 pick automatically equated to a 90+ point player each season, there'd be a hell of a lot more 90+ point scorers.

I would agree that a ceiling of 70 would be mildly disappointing. I'm hoping for a guy that's hitting 75 consistently, and getting into the 80s and 90s occasionally. There aren't a ton of players doing that, and a player like that has a significant impact.
There were over 20 players with a 90 point pace in 2018-2019, and 17 this year before the pause. I'm not saying it's automatic at all - in this specific instance, in this specific draft class, those are my expectations for a guy labelled as a scoring star who is being selected over other potential stars. If he goes 2nd to LA, they sure as hell don't want him scoring 70 points.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There were over 20 players with a 90 point pace in 2018-2019, and 17 this year before the pause. I'm not saying it's automatic at all - in this specific instance, in this specific draft class, those are my expectations for a guy labelled as a scoring star who is being selected over other potential stars. If he goes 2nd to LA, they sure as hell don't want him scoring 70 points.
They’d be ecstatic if they drafted a 70 point guy, as would we.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So top 20 ish pts producer in the league? That would be a great result, heck that would be good for 1st OA most years.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

I assumed you meant hitting 90 points consistently in his career. Different story if you're talking about ceiling. Guys who consistently score 90 points a year tend to be HOFers, and I don't see more than two HOFers at 3OA in the last 20 years.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I assumed you meant hitting 90 points consistently in his career. Different story if you're talking about ceiling. Guys who consistently score 90 points a year tend to be HOFers, and I don't see more than two HOFers at 3OA in the last 20 years.
Yes, ceiling. If anyone thinks LA would be happy to get 70 points max out of their 2nd overall pick, they're delusional.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So top 20 ish pts producer in the league? That would be a great result, heck that would be good for 1st OA most years.
Yes if Stutzle is drafted in the top 3 then he should be expected to end up a Top 20 scorer in the league and that's way more than being a 70 point guy.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
They’d be ecstatic if they drafted a 70 point guy, as would we.
Don't agree at all. 70 points is not that hard these days. It's a good player, but hardly anything to get "ecstatic" over at 2nd or 3rd overall.

for the record I'm talking about prime scoring.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
IMO your expectations are far too low. Go look at the players scoring 70 points. But whatever, agree to disagree.
Matt Duchene is a 55-60 point guy taken 3rd, and is a very good 3rd overall pick.

If you told GM’s that a guy would be a 70 point player, he’s going no lower than 3 in nearly any draft.

If Byfield was seen to be a ppg guy, he’d be going 1st. If Stutzle was, he’d have some scouts taking him 1st. These guys aren’t seen like that, because not many prospects are. They both absolutely could be that, but right now I don’t think many scouts would be projecting that upon either guy.

Reactions: aragorn

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Yes, ceiling. If anyone thinks LA would be happy to get 70 points max out of their 2nd overall pick, they're delusional.

I need more information to understand what you're saying, because it's open to interpretation.

If 2OA is a player that consistently scores 50-60 points and hits 70 once or twice, I think there'd be reason for a little bit of disappointment. Not severe disappointment, but I would say that's a mediocre performance for 20A.

If 20A is a player that's scoring 68-72 points every season, you can't be disappointed with that. Is it like getting Datsyuk in the late 6th round? No, but it also isn't anywhere close to a bust.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I need more information to understand what you're saying, because it's open to interpretation.

If 2OA is a player that consistently scores 50-60 points and hits 70 once or twice, I think there'd be reason for a little bit of disappointment. Not severe disappointment, but I would say that's a mediocre performance for 20A.

If 20A is a player that's scoring 68-72 points every season, you can't be disappointed with that. Is it like getting Datsyuk in the late 6th round? No, but it also isn't anywhere close to a bust.
It would be a big disappointment IMO.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe 5 years ago or in a lesser draft. I expect 90 points from a top 3 pick by the end of his ELC.
That’s insane...

McDavid is the only guy that’s done that. Austin Matthews (an extremely strong #1 overall much, much better than any player in this draft) had an 88 point pace in his best year on his ELC, on an extremely offensive team.

Eichel wasn’t even a ppg on his ELC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad