NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XII [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I would be upset if we picked Sanderson with our 5th, yes.
I wouldn't be happy with drysdale or sanderson, but wound't be upset either. From what I've read, drysdale's offensive potential is overrated and he lacks intensity and urgency. He plays well for team canada, but is a different player for erie, which has some scouts concerned. I would much rather have sanderson, but we need two forwards instead.

Reactions: StephenReis

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ctaig Button and Brock Otten have them neck and neck saying they are interchangeable. I went to over 20 games this year Quinn was more impressive overall. Higher upside in my opinion. Its funny that someone compared him to Hoffman, they play nothing alike. Stylistically he is way closer to Stone. He is on the first pk unit and took matchups against the other teams top players.
Yeah I mean we got our preferences. I’m not so sure about Quinn at 5. While I think rossi is going to be the player we all look back on and say who cares about his size he was clearly amazing why didn’t we just take him

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I wouldn't be happy with drysdale or sanderson, but wound't be upset either. From what I've read, drysdale's offensive potential is overrated and he lacks intensity and urgency. He plays well for team canada, but is a different player for erie, which has some scouts concerned. I would much rather have sanderson, but we need two forwards instead.

I wouldn't be happy if we picked Drysdale at #5 either, but I'd be less upset about it. I'm all for getting another forward there as well. Rossi is my personal choice, which is no surprise to anyone around here lol.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty confident the sens will take 2 forwards.

Why are you “pretty confidant”?

I think the Senators need help in all positions, so BPA seems to be the way to go.

I have no inside knowledge that would make me confident that the Senators will pick two forwards. I onLy have access to publicly available scouting and rating reports.

My top 5 players which seem to be the consensus top 5 in order are:
1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond

If we get any two of those I will be happy enough and appeased (because I was hoping for 2 of the top 3 picks).

Reactions: Sweatred

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just to chime in. I dont see the Quinn > rossi thing. I mean. Is there a single list out there anywhere that has Quinn ahead of rossi. That opinion may only exist here. Which is fair all lists are BS. But it definitely is a hot take.

I get a bit of a Seider (or even Batherson) vibe with Quinn.

One of those kids who comes out of nowhere, is drafted higher than most thought he would go...then a year later looks like a steal. (Yes, I know Bath wasn't even drafted in his first year eligible...I'm talking more about the post-draft quick ascension up the ranks with him.)

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Robins is a high-octane, instinctive line-driving forward, who overwhelms his opponents with a combination of determination and skill. His build is a bit thick and at first glance, you wouldn’t think of him as someone with a lot agility or explosiveness. His frame can be deceptive though, as he’s not only an explosive and sound technical skater, but has a tremendous amount of agility on the ice. We were left watching sequences where we thought Robbins had skated himself into a dead play, only to be shocked as he effortlessly side-stepped an incoming opponent. His edges and pivoting ability make him very elusive in tight spaces and really pronounce his puck protection game. His skating isn’t only effective for evading players, he also features a full extension in a straight-line and can drive with power through each subsequent stride. You rarely see him skip over the ice, he gains traction rapidly and it allows him to make some unique skating plays.

There’s rarely in any draft a player that we can characterize as similar to a Brendan Gallagher or Viktor Arvidsson, but that’s exactly the type of mentality that Tristen consistently displays. He’s listed at 5’10 and looks more like 5’9 out on the ice, but don’t tell him his size, because he doesn’t play small in any way, shape or form. He’s willing to take hits to make plays, and we’ve seen him take a massive hit from a stationary position along the boards, only to be in awe of his ability to not only stay up right but send his larger opponent crumpled to the ice instead. He is the type of player that is willing to enter heavy traffic and it often leads to scoring chances. He’s not a perimeter player, he seemingly refuses to remain on the perimeter.

His competitiveness and energy doesn’t only extend to when he’s on the puck either. Robins is a three-zone player who keeps a demanding pace off the puck, and he uses this pace to pressure opposing defenses. We’ve seen him successfully anticipate an opponent’s passing lane in the neutral zone, then skate aggressively towards him to force a decision, before batting the puck out of mid air and taking off up the ice to generate a scoring chance, as one example. When he’s not using his hand-eye coordination or stick to generate takeaways, he’s using his frame to launch himself into opponents along the boards. We were surprised how often he won battles against bigger, older and more physically developed players; he simply out competes and out hustles opposing players. He’s on the smaller side as mentioned, so occasionally he does get knocked off the puck despite his competitiveness. To counteract this, he increases his work rate when he turns the puck over and is willing to do what it takes to get the puck back.

Although his mentality and competitiveness are what determines his line-driving instincts, he wouldn’t be able to take advantage of them without skill, but Tristen is a talented player. His coordination transfers from his skating into his release point. Robins was effective on the right side, since he’s capable of extending his toe-drag through his release. When skating at full speed, he would extend the puck to his side, evading in-coming sticks while cutting towards the middle portion of the ice. This allowed him to suddenly shift the angle of his shot and keep goalies from picking up on the placement of the shot itself. This made him a real threat during transitional rushes, where he could blend his skating, puck-handling and wrist-shot. Additionally, he looked to set his shot behind screens, where he would reveal his stick on one side before pulling it in-tight to his body on the other. On the powerplay, Robins was used along the right half-wall and was good at recognizing open shooting lanes and showed the ability to take difficult passes in one motion, generating quick-strike goals as a result. Tristen is capable of mixing up his options due to his playmaking ability. He’s very good at chipping pucks over sticks, or saucing passes that have the right amount of momentum placed on them to land on the tape of his teammates before a goalie could move laterally and get set. We wouldn’t label him as a dynamic playmaker but certainly a good one who can use his passing to cycle the puck, or thread a pass-through traffic when needed. His hands are quick as well. We’ve seen him breakdown goalies in tight to the net, and he uses his hands in conjunction with his elusiveness to weave through tight areas of traffic on the ice.

Often times, the higher the player’s motor, the more likely the player hasn’t learned how to slow down at the right times on the ice, but that’s not the case with Robins. This is a player who can process the play while still going at full speed, and can make the necessary adjustments to re-opening both his passing and shooting lanes. He blends deception, spatial-awareness, and creativity together to remain difficult to read. Most importantly, he can anticipate where the play is heading with and without the puck, then make the right decision on the ice, at the right time, at a consistent level. We’ve seen him drive down the right circle, use his hands to fake his wrist-shot before stopping up, dragging the puck around his opponent and chipping it to his teammate for a tap in goal as an example. It’s rare to see a player such as Robins, who plays with the engine he has, yet be poised and calculated to the degree he is. That’s to say he isn’t prone to the occasional error though. We’ve seen him misidentify his passing options or try to do too much at one time. But he does think quickly and decisively most of the time.

Although Tristen is skilled and plays with a rare drive, there’s still limits to what his ceiling can potentially look like. For instance, he’s agile for his build, but his skating isn’t dynamic, it’s just very good. That extends into other facets of his skill set. His shot is very good, but it’s not at the same caliber as some talent ranked above him. His playmaking shares the same issue, its good but doesn’t look like his teammate, Kirby Dach’s from last season as an example. With a very good skill level, but not an excellent or dynamic one, it limits Robins ceiling when projecting him as a finished player. That said, we did get to scout Viktor Arvidsson and have been monitoring his development for years, and we didn’t think he would end up as a first-line, line-driver winger either. The point is, usually players that can surprise or supersede their expected ceilings, are players like Robins who plays the right way and are willing to do whatever it takes to make their team better. For these reasons, we view Robins as a very useful two-way energy winger, who most likely plays in a middle-6 role for a team. Just don’t count out the “it” factor, and this kid has that factor.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

One of those kids who comes out of nowhere, is drafted higher than most thought he would go...then a year later looks like a steal. (Yes, I know Bath wasn't even drafted in his first year eligible...I'm talking more about the post-draft quick ascension up the ranks with him.)

I hope who ever we get at 5 gets to the league quicker than Batherson. I don’t want a player that needs 3-4 years to become NHL worthy. I want elite skill that can ideally play in his D+1 season and dominate by his D+3-4 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhutter and Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

If you watched Quinn the previous year you saw game breaking talent he just didnt get alot of opportunity because he was a rookie. The team was already so deep and then they traded for two overage wingers in Chiodo and Maksimovich. Quinn's production any other year has him as a top 5 pick. The reason he kept rising this year because he kept getting better and better. He had 39 goals in his last 41 games. He was the most dominant player on the team and maybe the entire OHL in the second half. Its completely reasonable to have him in the 5 to 10 range this year. There are about 8 players that I think could get picked between 4 and 12. Just depends on the teams preference. I do believe Drysdale is the leader in the group but it could go any which way after number 3.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Reichel is a guy I really like with the NYI pick.

I am watching the game.. part of the problem that Stutzle is having is due to the fact his defence can not break out of their zone cleanly so they spend alot of time in their own zone when he is on the ice

He had a nice play this period (2nd) where he passed to the side of the net where Petertla (sp?) was open and instead of shooting he passed back to a covered Stutzle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I am watching the game.. part of the problem that Stutzle is having is due to the fact his defence can not break out of their zone cleanly so they spend alot of time in their own zone when he is on the ice

He had a nice play this period (2nd) where he passed to the side of the net where Petertla (sp?) was open and instead of shooting he passed back to a covered Stutzle
his faults cant always lie elsewhere... all these guys i see pointing out his flaws on twitter were the same people saying last summer to look out for Stutzle to rise all year. they still like him. but he isnt a perfect prospect. he does get tunnel vision and he doesnt hang on too long. these things can be fixed. but at some point like they need to be HIS faults, not everyone around him's. and again these are exhibtion games after lots of time off, everyone is rusty.. including him.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad