Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I like your 1st round
Would not take Shakir .. in the 2nd round; I'd probably avoid him all together
Pytlik ok not in the 2nd for me
Peterson .. definitely be looking at other options but he has some nice raw tools
Coe is a good pick at 95 - he will go earlier
Cardwell is a good pick at 152 - he will go earlier
Biondi - why not as a flyer
Levi .. I guess I probably would not draft a goalie but if you want one 185 is a good spot.

Just did one for fun
3. Stutzle C/LW
5. Raymond RW/LW
21. Jarvis RW
33. Khusnutdinov C - check him out if you don't know him; Pageau on steroids
49. Grans RD
52. Colangelo RW Big Power forward on the right side. Good bookend for Tkachuk that can play .
55. Jarventie LW Big bodied raw , young aug 02, Can score
64. Weisblatt RW First round talent.. Can drive a line
74. Ovchinnikov LW very quick playmaker good skills
95. Robins C - way underrated in a lot of places.. snarly , good offense . reminds me of Gallagher
152. Krutil RD -- No idea big bodied 2 way RD .. flyer
158 Glotzl LD -- No idea big bodied 2 way LD flyer .. teams will dread when Krutil and Glotzl come to town
185 Trineyev RW -- 6'3 March 02 bd, Power forward out of the MHL .. never saw him..

Crazy amount of picks.
This would be a great draft, however I dont think the sens would make those selections. Not the style of team this group would build. The first 4 picks would never happen, they might pick one of Jarvis, Raymond and Khusnutdinov but even then id be suprised especially after picking Stutzle.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
My concern with Rossi is a few things, but I've said before hes the hardest guy to evaluate.

I think he was like 7 or 8 days away from being drafted last season? Hes very small, not a great skater, doesnt have an elite shot or stick handling.

This idea that Rossi is small is pretty inaccurate. Rossi is short. He's not small. He's listed at 5 foot 9 and 187. And he'll probably add a few along the way and play 195 in a couple of years.

As someone that is short, barrel chested and played a lot of hockey over the past 50 years I've gone into thè corners thousands of times with guys 6 inches taller that carry the same weight or 10 to 15 pounds more only for them to realize it's them that are small

6 feet. 6 foot 1. 190 to 200. That's pretty standard these days. And a Rossi type build isn't going to lose many puck battles to that build because he is small.

And I am not a Rossi fan.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This idea that Rossi is small is pretty inaccurate. Rossi is short. He's not small. He's listed at 5 foot 9 and 187. And he'll probably add a few along the way and play 195 in a couple of years.

As someone that is short, barrel chested and played a lot of hockey over the past 50 years I've gone into thè corners thousands of times with guys 6 inches taller that carry the same weight or 10 to 15 pounds more only for them to realize it's them that are small

6 feet. 6 foot 1. 190 to 200. That's pretty standard these days. And a Rossi type build isn't going to lose many puck battles to that build because he is small.

Agreed. There are a lot of successful taller centers in the league that play smaller than him. Rossi might end up as a winger in the long run but i don't see him getting manhandled physically, the downside of his height will be his reach when defending imo so i hope he can add a bit of an extra jump to his first step to help mitigate that.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I cant believe someone emoloyed by the NHL would base an evaluation of a player on such a small sample size.
At the U18 or Hlinka, can't remember which it was off hand, he didn't have crazy good stats but he played very well and just missed on a bunch of chances. The type of thing that normalizes out over a longer time. So it's fair to say he hasn't always produced at those tournaments but one of them he played well and didn't get the production he deserved and another it was as a young 17 year old where expectations of anything beyond a minimal role were silly.

So no, like you, I don't agree with that scout at all. He doesn't melt. I suspect next year he will have a huge role and be very successful if there is a tournament.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
At the U18 or Hlinka, can't remember which it was off hand, he didn't have crazy good stats but he played very well and just missed on a bunch of chances. The type of thing that normalizes out over a longer time. So it's fair to say he hasn't always produced at those tournaments but one of them he played well and didn't get the production he deserved and another it was as a young 17 year old where expectations of anything beyond a minimal role were silly.

So no, like you, I don't agree with that scout at all. He doesn't melt. I suspect next year he will have a huge role and be very successful if there is a tournament.
5 points in 5 games at the Hlinka, can’t remember offhand who he played with. It was Jarvis.

3 points in 5 games at the U-17’s

1 point in 7 games at the World Juniors

World junior numbers aren’t surprising or upsetting to me at all. The other two tournaments were disappointments to me for the prospect Byfield was.

Either way, they are only 20 or so games worth of tournaments. Byfield was a different player in the OHL compared to watching him in those tournaments.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I cant believe someone emoloyed by the NHL would base an evaluation of a player on such a small sample size.

Especially as Byfield was so young this run at the tournament. LaFreniere was in the dog house last year when he was roughly the same age as Byfield was this year.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
5 points in 5 games at the Hlinka, can’t remember offhand who he played with, I thought it was Perfetti and Lapierre who had like 10 each. Could be wrong there.

World junior numbers aren’t surprising or upsetting to me at all. The other two tournaments were disappointments to me for the prospect Byfield was.

Either way, they are only 20 or so games worth of tournaments. Byfield was a different player in the OHL compared to watching him in those tournaments.
And that s the thing I don t understand . Why he can play like he play in the ohl. Stutzle , Raymond , Raty, Reichel, Peterka are all young but play good against good opposition or in men league.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
5 points in 5 games at the Hlinka, can’t remember offhand who he played with, I thought it was Perfetti and Lapierre who had like 10 each. Could be wrong there.

He played with Jarvis. His Hilinka numbers are good or bad, Marner and Barzal put up 7 points, Pierre luc Dubois put up 3 points.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I tried
hHpUgy4.jpg

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
We should be ecstatic if it went that way, regardless of passing on a guy at 5 we would personally prefer.

I’d like to grab some D in the 2nd, but can’t complain with the guys there in place, and I think Kleven is going to be a good pro, regardless of the hate he gets from the stats guys.
Yeah I picked less D because I don't know a ton about them this year in the 2nd+ rounds. But I wanted to get Kleven to compliment our other prospect D. I think can make the NHL and be a partner for a Drysdale, for example.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

It's extremely accurate, Rossi is 5'9 187lbs - that's small. Being short is a major part of being small. How much weight he could put on doesnt make him big or even average.

Doesnt mean hes weak, so I get your point. You could be short/small but extremely strong, that's for sure. But hes a small hockey player 100%

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's extremely accurate, Rossi is 5'9 187lbs - that's small. Being short is a major part of being small. How much weight he could put on doesnt make him big or even average.

Doesnt mean hes weak, so I get your point. You could be short/small but extremely strong, that's for sure. But hes a small hockey player 100%

Well lets put it this way, he doesn't play small and isn't likely to get consistantly outmuscled and in the end that's what really matters. I'd have a bigger issue with his size if he were 6'1 and with a frame like Turris.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Well lets put it this way, he doesn't play small and isn't likely to get consistantly outmuscled and in the end that's what really matters. I'd have a bigger issue with his size if he were 6'1 and with a frame like Turris.

As an 18 year old kid I wouldn't be concerned. It will be interesting to see how he translates to playing against men, I think his lack of size and speed are a legitimate discussion - to my orginal post it's his lack of raw tools that drops him down the rankings a bit because his vision and IQ are insanely good

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As an 18 year old kid I wouldn't be concerned. It will be interesting to see how he translates to playing against men, I think his lack of size and speed are a legitimate discussion - to my orginal post it's his lack of raw tools that drops him down the rankings a bit because his vision and IQ are insanely good
He already has a body type at 18 that is less concerning than nhl players like Turris who have finished growing. He will likely have less issues with getting outmuscled than guys about the same weight who are taller, for example Krieji, Turris, Marchand, connor Brown, Haggelin, Simmonds, Palmieri, Rielly Smith, Justin Williams, Namestnikov, RNH, Barzal, and the list goes on. The concern about height is the ability to fill out and put enough muscle on the frame, but he's already done that.

He's also already played against men, albeit as a 16 year old in the tier 2 swiss league.

Size concerns are overblown, he already has the strength, with his low center of gravity he will be fine in board battles and fighting off checks. The drawback is you can't project as much growth because of getting bigger but there are lots of guys bigger guys that are drafted mostly filled out, this is no different.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Exactly. Turris is small.

Reactions: GCK

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Dale Hunter - one of my fav player, was playing at 5.9 195lbs in his first years. Nobody said he was small.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Well NHL scouting staffs aren't exactly a field populated exclusively by the most competent and qualified individuals.

Most of them are former players and relatives of former players that get paid to watch hockey for a living because of their connections.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I took a stab at the draft sim thing. It is missing a handful of prospects that I would look to target in the later rounds but overall it is interesting to try to make the best choices based on the players available. There were a few prospects that I passed on that could have given me maybe a bit more skill but overall I am pretty happy with the players I got. Here were my selections:

#3: Quinton Byfield C 6'4 214 lbs
#5: Jake Sanderson LD 6'1 185 lbs
#21: Marat Khusnutdinov C 5'11 176 lbs
#33: Jake Neighbours LW 5'11 201 lbs
#49: Vasili Ponomaryov C 6' 176 lbs
#52: Alexander Nikishin LD 6'3 196 lbs
#55: Will Cuylle LW 6'2 201 lbs
#64: Jaromir Pytlik C 6'3 196 lbs
#74: Maxim Groshev RW 6'2 194 lbs
#95: Yegor Sokolov LW 6'4 240 lbs
#152: Grant Slukynsky C 6' 190 lbs
#158: Blake Biondi C 6' 181 lbs
#185: Victor Mancini RD 6'3 201 lbs

Overall I am very confident in the upside of that group and the probability that I not only get a large percentage of NHL players but actually a large percentage of impact players.
Nice, Big Player Draft. I'd love to see training camp.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
He already has a body type at 18 that is less concerning than nhl players like Turris who have finished growing. He will likely have less issues with getting outmuscled than guys about the same weight who are taller, for example Krieji, Turris, Marchand, connor Brown, Haggelin, Simmonds, Palmieri, Rielly Smith, Justin Williams, Namestnikov, RNH, Barzal, and the list goes on. The concern about height is the ability to fill out and put enough muscle on the frame, but he's already done that.

He's also already played against men, albeit as a 16 year old in the tier 2 swiss league.

Size concerns are overblown, he already has the strength, with his low center of gravity he will be fine in board battles and fighting off checks. The drawback is you can't project as much growth because of getting bigger but there are lots of guys bigger guys that are drafted mostly filled out, this is no different.

Well I'll disagree with the majority of that list, respectfully. I think you are overating his strength and muscularity a bit personally. Being smaller is a disadvantage, but not one that can't be overcome with some of the factors you mentioned

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad