NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
Let me just outline why these lottery ideas are so goddamn terrible; if the speculation is true of course.

Imagine you as a team, with little chance of winning the cup, knows that there is a vacant top 3 slot for the losing play-in teams.
How can you reasonably justify that environment in a professional sports league?

Also imagine that a team like Pittsburgh or Toronto absolutely choked their respective play-ins. If either of those teams get within the top 3 the league is shown to be a joke.
They are both contenders. They do not need any handouts. Especially compared to the leagues worse Detroit Redwings or Ottawa.

In my opinion, teams should either have a chance at a cup or a chance at 1OA, not both. Granted I was never a fan of our normal lotto system so I am a bit biased.
The best idea I've seen, which is a comprise, is to have a 15 team lotto but only 4 spot move-up. It would quell some of the horror stories that naturally spawn from this system.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
If I'm Montreal's GM, and a play-in loser ball wins the lottery, I'm ordering the coach to bench Price, Weber, etc. They weren't going to make the playoffs anyway and the fans don't expect anything out of the team on the ice right now, so even if it ends up not being their ball, it would be worth a shot.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The "slot" idea is terrible.

Imagine slots A, and C won the lottery and will be drafting 1st and 2nd.

I bet the Blackhawks will play super hard knowing they're guaranteed a 1/4 shot of 1st or 2nd overall.

What f***ing dogshit.

Edit: It also doesn't really solve the standings problem. If they do some sort of "lottery" for each slot, what happens if the Islanders "win" Slot "C" which is drafting at 8? I mean, thanks, good for the Sens, but if I was an Islander's fan, I'd be livid.

edit 2: Can you imagine how angry Montreal fans will be drafting 15th. LOL. Slot method may not be that bad.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The "slot" idea is terrible.

Imagine slots A, and C won the lottery and will be drafting 1st and 2nd.

I bet the Blackhawks will play super hard knowing they're guaranteed a 1/4 shot of 1st or 2nd overall.

What f***ing dogshit.

Plus, I thought the NHL wanted to use the draft for publicity. How anti-climactic would it be if the televised lottery happens and we still don't know who is picking top 3, other than that they are unidentified teams who may or may not make the playoffs anyway. What a joke.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If Montreal is getting a chance at a top 3 pick, Ottawa should have a chance at going on a miracle run in the playoffs, just like they are.

You can’t exclude 7 teams from the playoffs but include 15 in a lottery.

Thats bs, and as usual, Ottawa is about to get screwed.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If Montreal is getting a chance at a top 3 pick, Ottawa should have a chance at going on a miracle run in the playoffs, just like they are.

Ottawa doesn’t get screwed if the lottery is for first overall only

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's why I think that the bracket losers should only be allowed to move up a max of 4 spots.

Meaning only the bottom 7 teams have a shot at a top 3 pick

The idea of the loser from the playin having a chance at the top three picks is kind of none sense.

As soon as you put teams that were on pace for a 20 pts gap (Mtl at 82 pts pace vs Pens at 102 pts pace) on equal grounds you're no longer in the regular season; that isn't just a way to figure out which bubble team deserves to make the final cut, we already know the Pens are the team that should be in and Mtl should be out.

The more I think about it, treating the play in as a pure extension of the reg season just doesn't make sense. Call it what it is, an additional round of the playoffs.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Shitty circumstance and a shitty response.

Sucks to deal with this as a sports league, they will never win out on how they go ahead doing it, but it seems like they missed an opportunity for publicity while at the same time ruining a lot of their current fans by operating like a Junior B league.

Reactions: Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The idea of the loser from the playin having a chance at the top three picks is kind of none sense.

As soon as you put teams that were on pace for a 20 pts gap (Mtl at 82 pts pace vs Pens at 102 pts pace) on equal grounds you're no longer in the regular season; that isn't just a way to figure out which bubble team deserves to make the final cut, we already know the Pens are the team that should be in and Mtl should be out.

The more I think about it, treating the play in as a pure extension of the reg season just doesn't make sense. Call it what it is, an additional round of the playoffs.

Play in of 24 screws the lottery unless they divide it into 2 groups. 7 Bottom feeders in a lottery and 8 losers are slotted by pts% pre playin loss

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ottawa doesn’t get screwed if the lottery is for first overall only

There is no scenario in which some teams should get both a chance at a Stanley Cup run and the #1 pick, and others shouldn’t. None.

If the NHL wants teams like Montreal to still be in the lottery, that’s fine.

But don’t include them in any “play in” (really, an extra round of the playoffs) scenario.

Or, include Ottawa and Detroit in the format as well.

One or the other.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
So far none of the speculated formats have reduced Ottawa or SJ’s slots’ odds. Not sure how the Sens are getting screwed here. Would be great if there was only one lottery, sure. I just can’t see the league coming forth with any scenario where the bottom 7 have worse odds than they would’ve had sans COVID.

Reactions: NB613

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

Ottawa holds no weight at the board of governors meetings and with the league itself. We'll have to wait and see I guess..

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Ottawa somehow ends up lucking into drafting 1st, 2nd, and 8th, after this mess of a process, I will personally give Gary Bettman a handjob.
upload_2020-5-25_20-43-17.jpeg

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So far none of the speculated formats have reduced Ottawa or SJ’s slots’ odds. Not sure how the Sens are getting screwed here. Would be great if there was only one lottery, sure. I just can’t see the league coming forth with any scenario where the bottom 7 have worse odds than they would’ve had sans COVID.

The issue is some teams are getting their cake and eating it too. 16 teams get to participate in the play in, and have a chance at 1st OA if they lose. 7 teams on the bottom and 8 teams at the top get nothing out of this (I guess technically the 8 at the top get a guaranteed playoff spot that they hadn't quite guaranteed yet).

Reactions: DaveMatthew

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
There is no scenario in which some teams should get both a chance at a Stanley Cup run and the #1 pick, and others shouldn’t. None.

If the NHL wants teams like Montreal to still be in the lottery, that’s fine.

But don’t include them in any “play in” (really, an extra round of the playoffs) scenario.

Or, include Ottawa and Detroit in the format as well.

One or the other.
I’m not saying I like it but it is what it is. The NHL is an amateur sport in comparison to other sports. I’m surprised they aren’t just waiting for the NBA to decide what to do for all scenarios

a tournament with ottawa in it would be sweet

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I could see Montreal being a little miffed. They are in a 16 team play in vs the Pens. They were sellers at the tdl... now they have a crack at the playoffs and the cup so they are not going to say no... If they did they got outvoted.. And now they are told if they lose they no longer have a chance at 1st overall , they have to settle for 4OA at best... (in the move up 4 spots)... Now if the Pens lose... They have a lottery pick... but where do they slot in? by pts% at season end or do they slide into Montreal's spot with a chance at 4OA . They have no business in an 8th from the bottom team's spot. They also did not have much incentive to agree to a 24 team playoff... or did they?.

Reactions: Sensators
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad