NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Lol that's so dumb. Would be fun if a team like Anaheim or Buffalo wins the lottery and their fans, fully realizing they have no future in playoffs anyway, start chanting "Lafreniere" and openly cheering for goals against during play-in.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

They should have 2 separate lotteries. Or limit the teams from moving up into the top 7 .. which amounts to having 2 lotteries . They aren't going to give the Pens a chance at Laf if they crap the bed vs the Habs are they?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Montreal typical.

I can see the draft lottery results now.

1. Edmonton
2. Pittsburgh
3. Toronto
4. Detroit
5. Ottawa
6. Ottawa/SJ

Maybe Buffalo or NJ instead of Pittsburgh

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't understand why they didn't just put everybody in a weighted lottery, and everybody in the playoffs.

We suck, and we don't get both.

Why do other teams that suck (almost as much, but slightly less) like Montreal get both?

(Obviously, I am making this comment under the assumption they go a certain direction, there is no confirmation of anything yet)

Reactions: NB613, Deku and DJB

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lol that's so dumb. Would be fun if a team like Anaheim or Buffalo wins the lottery and their fans, fully realizing they have no future in playoffs anyway, start chanting "Lafreniere" and openly cheering for goals against during play-in.
They aren’t even in the play-in

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Entire Bob draft lottery thread in his tweet I posted here. It's long about 10 tweets total.

Not looking good Sens fans

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
My unprofessional translation from the clip. It has been about 15 years since French Immersion. Maybe someone with better skills can do a better summary. Maybe I missed something important.

Host asks Lavoie about the Lottery on the 26th-27th and asks about that:

Lavoie: Yeah, that's what the NHL authorities are talking about, determining the order of the draft on the 26th-27th. What I learned this morning was that the 26th-27th is when they're going to try to determine the draft order. Immediately everyone is going to ask me: "Does that mean the Canadians are going to be in the lottery? Even if they're going to be in the play-in series". What I'd say to that is to remind people that Gary Bettman refused to rule out a team winning the Stanley Cup and winning the Lottery. Obviously this would be pushing things to their maximum, but regardless it remains a possibility. So, when we're talking about the Montreal Canadians I would say that right now they are in the lottery while we wait on confirmation over the next couple of days. Don't jump all over me if it changes over that period. The other point is having things take place after the play-in round. Again, no confirmation, we're going to know more this week and we'll know more about what the league wants, but right now the Lottery is going to be on the 26th of June.

Host talks about how the discussions and how it is not yet determined. Host then talks about the NHL dealing with the teams who were 17-24th in the standings. The Host asks if they are going to move the Lottery positions depending on who wins the play-in rounds like they do when you advance in the normal 16 round playoffs.

Lavoie: Confirms it has not yet been determined.

Host and then jokes how nothing is certain but confirmed and goes on to talk about, "At the moment, are the Canandiens holding their draft lottery position". while Lavoie nods in approval.

Host then talks about the other teams who would be in a bad position if they advance in the play-in like the New York Rangers and Blackhawks who also would like to keep their draft lottery position.

They agree to talk again tomorrow.

Basically a big nothingburger. typical media shit. Nothing confirmed, just "insider information" about league discussions

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Which makes sense, 15 team lottery is the most sensible thing to do.

Having the lottery before the play-ins, is moronic for a multitude of reasons.

I agree but if I'm interpreting his tweets, does he mean that the bottom 7 will know the order of the draft? And the others will slot in as well?

Ex:

1. Wings
2. Unknown bracket team
3. Kings
4. Sens
5. Sens
6. Ducks
7. Devils
8. Sabres
9. Unknown bracket team
10. Unknown bracket
Etc to 15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree but if I'm interpreting his tweets, does he mean that the bottom 7 will know the order of the draft? And the others will slot in as well?

Ex:

1. Wings
2. Unknown bracket team
3. Kings
4. Sens
5. Sens
6. Ducks
7. Devils
8. Sabres
9. Unknown bracket team
10. Unknown bracket
Etc to 15