NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see Byfield falling in the draft - similar to a Couturier or Zadina - although I do think he'll become a very good NHL player (although it may take a couple years of development).

I don't see it. The combination of that size and skating along with his production, and being among the younger players in the draft, he's going to be just fine imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I see Byfield falling in the draft - similar to a Couturier or Zadina - although I do think he'll become a very good NHL player (although it may take a couple years of development).

Doubt it, especially if he keeps up the season he is having.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It's a good question, Duclair is a left shot who is playing RW & has 21 goals in that slot but I thought more coaches were going for natural shooters on their proper wing but if a guy can do as well or better on the other wing I doubt they would move him. At 17 & 18 yrs old some kids continue to grow so a lot of things could change for a lot of prospects between now & when they finally get to the show. I was just wondering since it seemed like their were so many on RW who were on the small side in this yr's draft. I like Dawson Mercer a lot.

RW is a position I think the Sens are a little weak on depending on what happens in future with Duclair & C. Brown & whether these two are in their long term plans. IMO Batherson & Pinto are likely in their future plans & I'm not sure about anyone else in their org at RW making it. At the least they need more depth there. I did like your list of NCAA free agents & wonder if they have there eyes on signing anyone this yr out of college? It's a nice way to sign a decent player for free.

Well sometimes it is just about there not being enough spots and trying to build the most competitive team. That can push left handed shots to the right wing or centers to wing.

This link lists forwards by height for this draft:
Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center
Like you said it may take until after the 3rd round to find a RW right shot forward. But a couple names they have listed are Cameron Butler (6'4 198 lbs), Kyle McDonald (6'4 187 lbs), Yegor Sokolov 2OA (6'4 240 lbs), Brandon Coe (6'3 185 lbs), Isak Garfve (6'3 185 lbs), Sam Colangelo (6'2 205 lbs)

Then from there I have come across a number of good Russian players and some are right shot, some are left shot. Maxim Groshev LS (6'2 194 lbs), Bogdan Trineyev RS (6'3 176 lbs), Maxim Beryozkin RS (6'2 201 lbs), Kirill Kondyrev LS (6'1 194 lbs), Ivan Zinchenko LS (6'2 183 lbs), Alexander Gordin LS OA (6'1 194 lbs), Danil Gutik LW RS OA (6'3 176 lbs)

Then there are other forwards that might end up playing either left wing or right wing: Carsen Richels LS (6'3 209 lbs), Cole Hansen RS (6'2 201 lbs), Grant Slukynsky LS (6' 190 lbs), Matthew Rempe C RS (6'8 205 lbs), Lincoln Hatten RS 2OA (6'3 185 lbs), Kaden Bohlsen RS OA (6'3 187 lbs), Kyle Mandleur LS OA (6'5 240 lbs), Logan Barlage C RS OA (6'5 205 lbs), Tag Bertuzzi C LS OA (6'1 198 lbs), Nick Capone (6'1 229 lbs), Ryan Kirwan LS (6'2 194 lbs)

There may be a handful of other names that I am missing or that could get moved to wing as a pro. The point is that there will be plenty of opportunities to draft some forwards with some size.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Doubt it, especially if he keeps up the season he is having.

There's significant amount of buzz around Stutzle, Rossi is having just as impressive year, Drysdale is really the only game-changing defenseman so it wouldn't surprise me if he's taken as early as 3-4...

It's not as much an indictment on Byfield as it is the rise of other prospects.

Every year you have one guy climb the rankings from January to June (Turcotte last year, Kotkaniemi in '18, etc), and there seem to be 3-4 guys doing that this year.

It seems like Lafreniere has cemented himself as #1, but #2 is a toss-up. Right now I'd say Byfield is #3, and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes #4 or 5.

Great year to have potentially two top-10 picks though!

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I m happy Dorion don’t seem very high on Byfield

Where do you see that?

Also I've been pretty high on Zary, he had a good offensive performance at the prospects game. He's going to be a solid C in the NHL. Braden Schenn like

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I think we should look into packaging up all three 2nd rounders and see how far we can move up. We have enough quantity in the system. We need as much high end guys as we can get.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Zadina was rated 3rd most of the year and fell to 6th.

Couturier was rated 3rd/4th and fell to 8.

I'll eat my shorts if Byfield falls out of the top 5

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Where do you see that?

Also I've been pretty high on Zary, he had a good offensive performance at the prospects game. He's going to be a solid C in the NHL. Braden Schenn like
Yesterday at is interview at the prospect game. He said Lafrenière will look good in a sens jersey. He have 3 elites player , I have to go scouting in Europe. He name never Byfield in interview I listen

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yesterday at is interview at the prospect game. He said Lafrenière will look good in a sens jersey. He have 3 elites player , I have to go scouting in Europe. He name never Byfield in interview I listen

Could be a smokescreen no? I mean I haven't listened to the interview though

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
In this interview Dorion never mentioned any prospect by name and he has never made any indication that he isn't high on Byfield.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Lafreniere was complete invisible at the same age as Byfield at the WJC. Had 1 goal in 5 games and was entirely forgettable against top competition.

I've definitely been underwhelmed by him at the WJC and the game last night, but let's not read too much into very small sample sizes.

Oh and if we're also talking about the Hlinka, I thought he was great there, despite a mediocre stat-line. Was very snake bitten but created a ton of chances.
Yeah and if he will be available last year. He probably not draft first or two.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I thought he was one of the better players for Canada at the Gretzky/Hlinka tourney? WJC's he never really got a chance, probably due to his age and putting him on the wing during his limited ice time.
At the Hlinka he was just ok. He never play like a second player. And what about the playoff against the 67

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

He said "There are 2 maybe 3 guys at the top of the draft and it's up for debate. Many feel there is a clear cut number 1"

"There is another drop off around 20"

"From about 20 -60 it's a very good draft, one of the better drafts our scouts feel in a long time"

My guess that's Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
He said "There are 2 maybe 3 guys at the top of the draft and it's up for debate. Many feel there is a clear cut number 1"

"There is another drop off around 20"

"From about 20 -60 it's a very good draft, one of the better drafts our scouts feel in a long time"

My guess that's Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle.
And I match this interview with other he make at the wjc and his how I see the things. I just hope we don’t touch Byfield

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Why do you hope we don't touch Byfield? He seems pretty clearly to be the 2nd best player in the draft
I see him maybe 12 time and never noticed him and Stutzle and Raymond don’t see more but everytime on the ice make something. Stutzle have 3 assists so far today in 2 periods and passed defense with his speed.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
As much as we need skill up front, we also need a stud #1 RHD

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Where do you see that?

Big fan of Zary. If the SJ pick ends up between 8-12, that's who I'd target.

Reactions: DJB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad