Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
IMO Skjei could be a lot better player than he is. A main problem of his is how anti-instinctual he can be. He has too many moments of indecision and for a defenseman that is bad. ‘Should I pinch or should I not…..oops, they’re already past me’ kind of shit.

I’m more than happy to have gotten Schneider for him. I think we did very well.

Can't we say that about every player? If they could be better than they are , wouldn't they?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Was he though? I never read anything about him being projected as a bottom pair dman during his draft year. It was always a top 4 and the slim chance he could put it together and be a top pair dman because of his skating. I don’t think teams go drafting a player in the first round that project to be a bottom pair dman either.

Can't speak to what others were saying, but that was definitely the conversations around here. Ceiling of a second pair guy, lower end would have him as a third pair. Not spectacular, not really an offensive defenseman despite the skating. Hope was maybe he becomes a Bret Hedican type.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can't speak to what others were saying, but that was definitely the conversations around here. Ceiling of a second pair guy, lower end would have him as a third pair. Not spectacular, not really an offensive defenseman despite the skating. Hope was maybe he becomes a Bret Hedican type.
I wish we could find that thread, I definitely don't remember everyone talking about him being a bottom pair defenseman. There would be legit rioting if that was the case.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
IMO Skjei could be a lot better player than he is. A main problem of his is how anti-instinctual he can be. He has too many moments of indecision and for a defenseman that is bad. ‘Should I pinch or should I not…..oops, they’re already past me’ kind of shit.

I’m more than happy to have gotten Schneider for him. I think we did very well.

Skjei picks up the puck in his own end.

Okay Brady, don’t panic...it’s just a breakout-nothing you haven’t done a million times before....right wall looks congested so we’ll just take a few strides and see what opens up....that’s it.....now, let’s scan the left wall and see wOH GODDDDD!!!!”

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wish we could find that thread, I definitely don't remember everyone talking about him being a bottom pair defenseman. There would be legit rioting if that was the case.

Believe it or not, not really. I think most people felt that was a fair range for the 28th pick in a draft like 2012.

It sounds funny, but a lot of the mindset/culture that has taken shape on these boards really only goes back 4 or 5 years.

The way fans on here view the draft, or view trades, or a ton of other things has definitely shifted in more recent years.

Last edited:
Reactions: pld459666

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Believe it or not, not really. I think most people felt that was a fair range for the 28th pick in a draft like 2012.

It sounds funny, but a lot of the mindset/culture that has taken shape on these boards really only goes back 4 or 5 years.

The way fans on here view the draft, or view trades, or a ton of other things has definitely shifted in more recent years.

For a little context: Prospect Info: - Rangers Prospect Poll: #5

He was voted as our 5th best prospect less than a year after being drafted, in far from a unanimous decision. Lindberg, Hrivik, Fast, and Thomas all garnered votes as well.

It's a short thread to read through; there are mentions of him having a high ceiling, but also seems like expectations were more of a top4 at best outcome.

Which, FWIW, is how I remember it too. It wasn't until he piled up a bunch of secondary assists in his rookie season that people started thinking that we may have a first pairing guy on our hands.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

He was voted as our 5th best prospect less than a year after being drafted, in far from a unanimous decision. Lindberg, Hrivik, Fast, and Thomas all garnered votes as well.

It's a short thread to read through; there are mentions of him having a high ceiling, but also seems like expectations were more of a top4 at best outcome.

Which, FWIW, is how I remember it too. It wasn't until he piled up a bunch of secondary assists in his rookie season that people started thinking that we may have a first pairing guy on our hands.
Thanks for finding this!

Which brings up the topic of a new prospect poll, it’s been awhile because of Covid. 2021 Summer Prospect Poll Summer...coming July 2021!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We really didn’t do too bad with Skjei. He was a late 1st rounder in a kind of weak draft full of busts and we turned him into a middle 1st rounder in what looks to be a much stronger draft and our new guy Schneider is looking good.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Thanks for finding this!

Which brings up the topic of a new prospect poll, it’s been awhile because of Covid. 2021 Summer Prospect Poll Summer...coming July 2021!
Sorry to contrarian here, but i think we need a better format which could represent the group more accurately each round. If each round, we could choose say 3 of ~8 choices, and the top guy, or 2 if both way ahead, win(s) that round. Then there would be less of vote splitting we see in most competitive rounds. Voters could, for example, choose Nils and Krav and Schneids, 1st round, rather than splinter the voting. The broader concensus would have greater chance to represented.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Don’t think I’d take Skjei back for free, let alone give up Schneider for him. You don’t know what you’re getting from him day in and out and even at his best barely meh. He must’ve been running on adrenaline that entirety of his rookie season because he hasn’t even come close to replicating it

I think he got away from what made him successful in his rookie season and ultimately it was that he really needs to play a simple game because he doesn't have the hockey IQ to do a lot of the stuff he tries to do
I really think he was buddies with McDonagh and thought he could model his game after McDonagh and he just wasn't good enough to do that

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We really didn’t do too bad with Skjei. He was a late 1st rounder in a kind of weak draft full of busts and we turned him into a middle 1st rounder in what looks to be a much stronger draft and our new guy Schneider is looking good.

Yeah, and not to mention, we got 5 years out of Skjei at an avg rate of like 2.5m per.

This is the beauty with giving players a long contract after their ELC, they are always tradeable.

Reactions: Yuck

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Marek Hrivik?!? Holy shit what a putrid stable of prospects that was.

Reactions: pld459666

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

he was our best D in the playoffs that year as well. He performed better then McD in his rookie year. That’s what got him that contract. Problem was, it was all downhill from there.
He didn’t have a partner that could cover for his weakness and he was trying to do too many things on offense without the talent. He’s big and skates like the wind though.

the comparison to Hedican was valid after his rookie season. They both had a lot of similarities he just never was able to reach that point

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

he was a great pick where he was taken. he had a very strong probability of his floor being somewhere in your top 6 with an outside chance at becoming a top pair guy with his tools. the toolbox was always the variable and that didn't end up being high end. he fell in line with how we've tended to draft mid-late first though - bpa in one form or another has to be constructed of probability of making your roster somewhere and then probabilities applied to a range of level of player based on raw tools, skill, hockey iq etc. its obvious we strongly weight the probability of making it over the odds of what the final picture may look like.

fans tend not to look at it the same. we all fall for the boom prospects in our range and envision snagging a star. and when its a tarasenko or giroux or basically anyone but lias in 2017 we dwell on it for a decade. and every guy we loved that was never heard from again we forget all about. i think theres areas to be critical of how we've operated - ie for me hockey iq should be every bit as heavily weighted as chances of making it when it seems like we've at times fallen for the raw tools and hoped the thinking hockey part could be learned- the higher the latter the far higher probability of the former. and we tend to completely implode in rounds 2/3, but i think on the whole we've drafted really well all things considered for a substantial time period. we haven't landed a star and thats fair to question - i have plenty of extended thoughts on that. overall we coulda helped ourselves more for sure but theres a lot of teams in the league that would trade places in terms of stocking the pool fairly consistently, especially given there were a bunch of years with very little to work with in draft capital.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Got a nice little tire pumping from Odog today.

They were talking with Ray about how, although they like the Spezza signing, why don't the Leafs have guys in the pipeline that can fill roster spots. Ray says that Amirov is still a few years away and O chimes in that he doesn't want to sound like Don Cherry but why didn't they just take the big Canadian dman who played in the world juniors.

Reactions: cwede

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Got a nice little tire pumping from Odog today.

They were talking with Ray about how, although they like the Spezza signing, why don't the Leafs have guys in the pipeline that can fill roster spots. Ray says that Amirov is still a few years away and O chimes in that he doesn't want to sound like Don Cherry but why didn't they just take the big Canadian dman who played in the world juniors.
what is Odog?

Ray = Ray Ferraro?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad