Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 19th Overall Pick, Braden Schneider, D

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
that’s a strange list, guys from the same draft class that have done less than Schneider are above him. i mean it’s just one guys opinion.

Hey, I'm just happy Button finally lists Holtz as a RW after having him as a LW all year, basically proving he only watches him for the u20 NT.

I always take these lists with a grain of salt. Button puts in a lot of effort but it's just one man's opinion like you said.

Having Broberg ahead of Lundkvist is f***ing hilarious

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Bet Kings fans aren’t too pleased seeing Byfield that low and below Kravtsov.

My guess is that some journalists still aren’t really sold on Schneider’s upside despite his push this season. Think I’d personally take him over half the names on that list though

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still would have rather stood pat and taken Brisson. :laugh:

I'm not kidding, but I do love Schneider and think he'll be an excellent player and fan favorite.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I still would have rather stood pat and taken Brisson. :laugh:

I'm not kidding, but I do love Schneider and think he'll be an excellent player and fan favorite.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Nothing against Schneider who seems like an excellent prospect but everyone was screaming for a center. And it wasn't for team need, but for organizational need. Aside from Henriksson at the time, the only center prospect we had was Barron. That's not enough. Any of the centers would have been nice at that point.

Reactions: nyr2k2

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Bet Kings fans aren’t too pleased seeing Byfield that low and below Kravtsov.

My guess is that some journalists still aren’t really sold on Schneider’s upside despite his push this season. Think I’d personally take him over half the names on that list though

Byfield screams bust to me.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
People are taking bows in 2021.
You’re taking L’s in 2021, just like you were in 2020.
C789272B-DDFD-4501-9437-F3FE023690A4.png

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Because most of us think that we've gotten the better of that deal. Skjei is obviously the better player at this point in time... Schneider is 19 lol.

Would you trade Schneider to Carolina right now for Skjei and a 3rd?
Value wise, sure. For the Rangers specifically, probably not.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Because most of us think that we've gotten the better of that deal. Skjei is obviously the better player at this point in time... Schneider is 19 lol.

Would you trade Schneider to Carolina right now for Skjei and a 3rd?

Schneider is a hell of a prospect. Picked up a lot of good experiences this year, despite the chaos, and certainly rose to the occasions.

I don't care if he ends up on a reporter's list. I care what he can do for the Rangers and how the scouts think he's done. To the latter end of things, it's been all thumbs up.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMO Skjei could be a lot better player than he is. A main problem of his is how anti-instinctual he can be. He has too many moments of indecision and for a defenseman that is bad. ‘Should I pinch or should I not…..oops, they’re already past me’ kind of shit.

I’m more than happy to have gotten Schneider for him. I think we did very well.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Don’t think I’d take Skjei back for free, let alone give up Schneider for him. You don’t know what you’re getting from him day in and out and even at his best barely meh. He must’ve been running on adrenaline that entirety of his rookie season because he hasn’t even come close to replicating it

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Skjei is a victim of his own talent. If he could just focus of defending and, mayyyyybe, once a game tale a chance on offense, he’d be fine.

He should be emulating pre-injuries Marc Staal. Instead he thinks he’s Paul Coffey or something.

Reactions: bl02

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Skjei was fine, he’s a top 4 dman who like most top 4, are prone to mistakes. Problem is he could have been so much more like how he dominted that Pens playoff series a few years ago.

Regardless, the trade is looking great at the moment because Scheinder looks like the perfect physical dman for us.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Trading Skjei and the 4 years @ $5.25M remaining on his contract, without having to take back any salary in return, was a win in itself. Getting a 1st round pick in return that eventually turned into Braden Schneider is icing on the cake. That was a great move by Gorton at the perfect time.

Let Schneider dominate the AHL this year and we'll see how things play out in 2022.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The weird thing with Skjei is that he ultimately ended up pretty close to where he was projected as a prospect.

The problem is that he had that weird peak where he over-achieved, and that set a much higher standard for him.

But back when he was drafted, he was really projected to be more of a bottom pairing defenseman with a shot for the middle pairing ceiling. Somewhere along the way, he suddenly became a candidate for the top pair and was paid a salary to hedge on the cost of him potentially being more than initially expected.

Fast forward to 2021, he's more or less what he was originally expected to be.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Brady Skjei is a player you don't win with. In a playoff world where 1 mistake ends a whole series, a dumbass like him really doesn't have space on the ice. I wouldn't take him back for free.

Reactions: Guyute

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The weird thing with Skjei is that he ultimately ended up pretty close to where he was projected as a prospect.

The problem is that he had that weird peak where he over-achieved, and that set a much higher standard for him.

But back when he was drafted, he was really projected to be more of a bottom pairing defenseman with a shot for the middle pairing ceiling. Somewhere along the way, he suddenly became a candidate for the top pair and was paid a salary to hedge on the cost of him potentially being more than initially expected.

Fast forward to 2021, he's more or less what he was originally expected to be.
Was he though? I never read anything about him being projected as a bottom pair dman during his draft year. It was always a top 4 and the slim chance he could put it together and be a top pair dman because of his skating. I don’t think teams go drafting a player in the first round that project to be a bottom pair dman either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad