Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 134th Overall Pick, Brett Berard, LW

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Would love to see him take the next step.

The Rangers need all the help they can get from inside of the organization.

Right now there aren’t many slam dunks to move up.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Would love to see him take the next step.

The Rangers need all the help they can get from inside of the organization.

Right now there aren’t many slam dunks to move up.
I'm actually very encouraged by what I see in our prospects.

I don't know how many will be become top 6 options, but I think there's a number of guys who have good potential to carve out an NHL career. For the first time in a long time, we have a team in Hartford that is developing young forwards. Cuylle already graduated. Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Edstrom and Rempe all look like they could have a role in the NHL.

Perreault seems destined for a top 6 spot, but I'm anxious to see how our other NCAA prospects do when they move up to the AHL. Chmelar, Laba, Lamb, Mancini, Fortescue. Maybe only 1 or 2 of these guys will join Hartford next year, but Vaisanen and Barker should both make the team as well.

We need to keep adding to our pool, though. Not all of those guys will make it. We'll need a steady influx of young talent to remain competitive.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm actually very encouraged by what I see in our prospects.

I don't know how many will be become top 6 options, but I think there's a number of guys who have good potential to carve out an NHL career. For the first time in a long time, we have a team in Hartford that is developing young forwards. Cuylle already graduated. Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Edstrom and Rempe all look like they could have a role in the NHL.

Perreault seems destined for a top 6 spot, but I'm anxious to see how our other NCAA prospects do when they move up to the AHL. Chmelar, Laba, Lamb, Mancini, Fortescue. Maybe only 1 or 2 of these guys will join Hartford next year, but Vaisanen and Barker should both make the team as well.

We need to keep adding to our pool, though. Not all of those guys will make it. We'll need a steady influx of young talent to remain competitive.

I agree, I see a lot of help up front for sure in depth roles. I’m concerned about the defense and I’m even more concerned the team won’t have many picks to backfill that any time soon.

I love the type of forwards that are developing though. Sykora. Berard. Othmann. Chmelar. Rempe. Edstrom. Laba.

Every single one of those guys plays with fire. Every one of them brings tenacity. And that’s outside of Cuylle who already graduated. More of that please.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I agree, I see a lot of help up front for sure in depth roles. I’m concerned about the defense and I’m even more concerned the team won’t have many picks to backfill that any time soon.
Yeah, I think that's why we need to hang onto our high draft picks. We're already missing 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks over the next 3 years.

Mancini is our only RHD prospect. On the left side, we've got Robertson, Scanlin, Fortescue, Kempf and Larsson. Of that group, only Fortescue looks to have top 4 potential, with the rest being long shots to play significant NHL games.

We need to add a dman in this next draft. There's some interesting guys projected to go near the end of the 1st round and in the 2nd.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, I think that's why we need to hang onto our high draft picks. We're already missing 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks over the next 3 years.

Mancini is our only RHD prospect. On the left side, we've got Robertson, Scanlin, Fortescue, Kempf and Larsson. Of that group, only Fortescue looks to have top 4 potential, with the rest being long shots to play significant NHL games.

We need to add a dman in this next draft. There's some interesting guys projected to go near the end of the 1st round and in the 2nd.

Are there any guys coming out of NCAA as UFA’s on defense this year? I haven’t seen any names

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Are there any guys coming out of NCAA as UFA’s on defense this year? I haven’t seen any names
Just from following our own prospects, I've seen some interesting options at forward. Collin Graf is pretty high on that list.

Defensively, I haven't noticed anyone. There was some speculation earlier in the year that Scott Morrow wouldn't sign with Carolina, but he's a junior, so unless he forces Carolina to trade him a la Fox, he's probably not an option.

I did some searching and didn't come up with much. Colton Huard was the only name I found. He's a junior, and the article I read from a year ago questioned his decision making.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Just from following our own prospects, I've seen some interesting options at forward. Collin Graf is pretty high on that list.

Defensively, I haven't noticed anyone. There was some speculation earlier in the year that Scott Morrow wouldn't sign with Carolina, but he's a junior, so unless he forces Carolina to trade him a la Fox, he's probably not an option.

I did some searching and didn't come up with much. Colton Huard was the only name I found. He's a junior, and the article I read from a year ago questioned his decision making.

That was my fear. I did a bit of research earlier in the year and didn’t see anyone. There were some forwards but the tree am has depth there. Drury is going to need to find some depth on defense, especially if they aren’t enamored with Jones, Robertson or Scanlin. Scanlin is the one that confuses me most. Why hasn’t he been given a bigger look at the very least.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That was my fear. I did a bit of research earlier in the year and didn’t see anyone. There were some forwards but the tree am has depth there. Drury is going to need to find some depth on defense, especially if they aren’t enamored with Jones, Robertson or Scanlin. Scanlin is the one that confuses me most. Why hasn’t he been given a bigger look at the very least.
I'm not sure. When I watch the Pack, he doesn't really stand out. That's good from one perspective, I suppose. I think he was paired with Emberson last year. Maybe without Emberson, he's getting a little bit more exposed this year.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Berard is playing LW so I imagine that influences their decision to call him up. He’s got no where to play unless they want him on the 4th line

Reactions: NickyFotiu

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Honestly thought he was a goner this deadline after it was reported that Perreault and Othmann were not going to be traded. Really happy none of these guys were traded.
Based on the clips that I've seen, Berard is a better skater than any of our other prospects. Perhaps there's a chance his offense will translate to the next level. The improvement in skating has done wonders for Laf.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Berard is playing LW so I imagine that influences their decision to call him up. He’s got no where to play unless they want him on the 4th line

Brett Berard played RW until 6 weeks ago when the flipped Berard and Othmann.

Position doesn't matter for either of them. They will get called up when the Ranger sthink they're ready. And it will most likely be for a RW spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad