Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 103rd Overall Pick, Dylan Garand, G

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In my head, it's probably about 6'0 --- though I've also found that a lot of goalies around that height are "bumped up" to 6'1.

It almost reminds me of helping put the media guides together back in the 90s. For skaters, 6'0 was the magic number and you often saw a lot of 5'11 players given the extra inch to help them along.

They're just trying to boost their odds on dating apps

Reactions: Edge

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In my head, it's probably about 6'0 --- though I've also found that a lot of goalies around that height are "bumped up" to 6'1.

It almost reminds me of helping put the media guides together back in the 90s. For skaters, 6'0 was the magic number and you often saw a lot of 5'11 players given the extra inch to help them along.

Yup this is exactly what I was talking about. Reported 6'0" to me is more like 5'10.5" in reality.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yup this is exactly what I was talking about. Reported 6'0" to me is more like 5'10.5" in reality.

I still laugh about Brian Leetch.

Until he was 27 years old, Leetch was listed at 5'11, 185-190.

Then, somewhere in his late 20s he jumped up to 6'1, 200 before settling into 6'0, 195 or 6'1, 190 for the last decade half-dozen years of his career.

I want to say there was a couple of years where Mark Messier, well into his 30s, suddenly hit 6'2.

There were times it was almost comical.

Reactions: kovazub94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As I see it, when Wall is ready, you're moving on from Georgiev. When you're ready to move on from Wall, you're hoping Garand is ready. Internal backup options for cheap.

I don't mind taking a goalie late. Garand in the fourth is probably good value but is still a round too early for a goalie, for us, IMO.

Huska and Georgiev reach UFA eligibility in 4 years. They are likely traded before that happens. Wall reaches that in 5 years. It took Wall and Huska 4 years to get to pro hockey. Garand will probably turn pro in 2 years but I doubt he's NHL ready by then.

Keep restocking the shelves this way makes sense. 2022 they can move on from Georgiev and Huska, sign Garand and Lindbom (best case scenario) and have 4 goalies just like they have now.

I'm with you on taking a goalie in the 5th or lower, but I can't get upset over a 4th round pick. This isn't the Lindbom selection

Reactions: Leetch3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Huska and Georgiev reach UFA eligibility in 4 years. They are likely traded before that happens. Wall reaches that in 5 years. It took Wall and Huska 4 years to get to pro hockey. Garand will probably turn pro in 2 years but I doubt he's NHL ready by then.

Keep restocking the shelves this way makes sense. 2022 they can move on from Georgiev and Huska, sign Garand and Lindbom (best case scenario) and have 4 goalies just like they have now.

I'm with you on taking a goalie in the 5th or lower, but I can't get upset over a 4th round pick. This isn't the Lindbom selection
Yeah I just get annoyed when someone I loved--Biondi--was right there, or really intriguing forwards like Nybeck or Stranges were left on the board.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I just get annoyed when someone I loved--Biondi--was right there, or really intriguing forwards like Nybeck or Stranges were left on the board.

I feel the same way. Especially about Nybeck being there. Carolina seems to be picking the players I'm eyeing for several years now :laugh:

Reactions: Ola

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I’ve felt the same way. They snatched Jamieson Rees in 2019...

Slepets is another one, kid's a real gamer. If he can't put any mass on then I don't think there is an NHL option for him, but the dude can fill pro style minutes very well imo.

Reactions: Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I personally don't have a problem taking a goalie in the the third or fourth.

I think at some point we've gone to the other extreme where we can easily get caught up in not taking goalies at all. Yes they can be unpredictable, especially when compared to first or second round talents. But I don't think they're so radioactive that you can't touch them in the third or fourth. I think by that point your odds are more or less the same.

I do think there's less daydreaming when it comes to goalies. A lot of times their numbers stare right back at you in the face. You might convince yourself a kid who scored at a point per game pace had a good D+1 season. It does get a little harder if you're staring at a goalie in the same league with less flattering numbers. As such, it can be very easy to get down on a goalie prospect sooner rather than later. I think skaters can sometimes drag out the drama a little.

I guess I've been doing this long enough to "like" skaters in those mid-rounds, but not necessarily fall in love with them. I've found that those are the guys that fans get worked up about or that cause fans to envy what other teams are doing. But more often than not, they turn out be non-issues. In other words, everyone "loves" their mid-round guys for a year or two, but that love often gets lost to the sands of time.

With time, there's not shortage of Daniel Fernholm's for our board.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would never advocate for not drafting goalies at all and honestly I haven't seen anyone take that approach. The fourth is the fringe of where I'd generally consider taking one when you're set between the pipes for the foreseeable future.

Talbot was a UDFA. Georgiev was a UDFA. Raanta was had for a D-level prospect. Wall was a sixth. Huska a seventh. Lundqvist, while obviously a once-in-a-lifetime pick for a GM, was a seventh. Biron was a relatively cheap signing. Vally was a throw-in. Pavelec was a bargain-bin signing. Etc.

You can find goaltending depth--or even starting-caliber players--late in the draft or after the draft. I think we've proven to be quite successful at that. If Shesterkin demonstrates that he is what we think he is, then you're likely set between the pipes for a decade and can continue to draft goalies mid-to-late and sign them as UDFAs. As I've said, I'm okay with Garand because he was good value.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Slepets is another one, kid's a real gamer. If he can't put any mass on then I don't think there is an NHL option for him, but the dude can fill pro style minutes very well imo.

Puistola, Gunler, Nybeck, Jarvis... It's hard to root against a team that drafts these type of players for me

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd have had no problem taking a goalie like Askarov in the first round....even with Shesterkin doing what he's doing. But really Shesterkin is use to playing 40 to 45 games a year. Having a one-two punch in net and particularly when your team is deep in prospects at almost every position is not dumb to my eyes. If one goes down with injury you have the other to fall back on--if you're splitting games you have them pushing each other all the time and for opposition teams there are no nights off or easier nights when they play your team. They know they're going to play a high quality goalie. Looking ahead to the 2021 draft there may be 3 or 4 who go in the first two rounds and the Rangers might want to think about it.

But anyway this Garand looks like he's going to be pretty good. I think Wall has a chance to be pretty good. Huska has not impressed me a lot so far and Lindbom's had issues staying healthy. Kinkaid's an insurance policy and the Seattle option.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
sucks Ca selection camp game 3 was cancelled since Garand was supposed to play the entire game for White. He does have a very good shot at making the team so if the tournament does go off we can hope to see him there.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I like Slepets too. Gamer is the right description. Young Callahan.

Reactions: Mikos87

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Puistola, Gunler, Nybeck, Jarvis... It's hard to root against a team that drafts these type of players for me

Yeah they do a good job and they've got more coming. Jarvis and Rees might be their home grown over the top guys. I also think that they are a true contender and can be one for a long time despite having Skjei on the team.

Last year, imo Hamilton was a guy who is the closest to Hedman in terms of domination, especially statistically. Which is weird to say, but before he got injured, he was getting a ton of praise from seasoned hockey eyes. If the two way game is focused, then Dougie should be able to do some damage. Slavin's a beast. Defensively he's already on par with Hedman. You have J. Staal who is the best defensive center in the league.

Aho, Svech. Once they move out their supplementary players after their prospects are ready, I expect them to contend for the next 4 to 5 years. They made some very smart culture changing moves that lead to their new core coming up.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's interesting to me because I've never really found heights to be a focus area or determining factor when it comes to goalies.

Obviously all things being equal, you might prefer a goalie who is 6'3 compared to a goalie who is 6'1, but I'v never really looked at a 6'0 or 6'1 goalie and thought to myself, "Eh, height could be a challenge there."

Maybe if you're looking at a guy who is 5'10 or so, but generally speaking I don't know if I've ever felt success was hinging on whether a guy was 6'3 or 6'1.
Yeah. As long as a goalie is over four feet high, it’s all good.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Draft to ELC rate since we last made the play offs:

2017: 4/7
2018: 4/10 (Keane was traded away)
2019: 5/8
2020: 5/8

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Another unproven rookie given a three-year contract. This organization.

it’s like zero risk. It’s a two way contract. If he’s in Hartford he doesn’t count toward the cap and wouldn’t be making more than 70K anyway. If he’s lights out he’s signed three years.

Reactions: Thirty One

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
it’s like zero risk. It’s a two way contract. If he’s in Hartford he doesn’t count toward the cap and wouldn’t be making more than 70K anyway. If he’s lights out he’s signed three years.

big-bang-theory-sarcasm-sign.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad