Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 103rd Overall Pick, Dylan Garand, G

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I definitely think the Rangers want to deal Georgiev...

funny, I definitely think they don't want to ... we'll see what happens next

.. in current sports, depth at key positions seems prized and essential.
Goalies are like quarterbacks, only 1 plays a at time, but the unexpected happens and you need that depth. I am not really an NFL fan, but my son was visiting this weekend, so we watched the end of the Cowboys-Giants game. Cowboys having Dalton, to fill in at QB, won them the game, and keeps their prospects for the rest of the season optimistic.
Besides, as good as Shesty has looked, has hasn't carried an NHL workload yet

i happen to trust Gorton and NYR FO more than many folks here seem to, it will be interesting to track the moves

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Had a chance to connect with a couple of friends out west. I'll say this- kid's been a winner so far, and he is going to be a number 1 in the league for the next couple of years. This could be an absolute home run of a pick if he keeps playing the way he's been playing and improves things for the pro level, and becoming more consistent. As far as goaltending in the WHL goes. You can get some bad goalies. There are games where a good team knows that they can hit a 7 spot on a bad team with a bad goalie.

You also have teams where they play a more pro style system, and a pro style program. That's where you can get a Dustin Wolf who posts up ridiculous numbers and goes in the 7th. That same program also produced Carter Hart.

Garand does not play for such a team. He plays for a team that likes to run and gun and score, and... he wins. He wins a lot of games. After talking to a couple of people, I believe that the Rangers walked away with not only the best draft eligible defenseman out of the WHL, but the best goalie out of the league as well, which is really good value for a 4th.

Great side-to-side movement. Good legs, aggressive, challenges, and enjoys eating pucks. His team gives up a lot of rush chances and he can stop them. Has a highlight reel glove. He's also described as a guy who can get hot and steal games for stretches. Statistically, this kid had streaks of domination. That's something pro teams, and goalie coaches value. It's also something that gets you on national teams since you're trying to win a short tournament. No goalie has an A+ outing every game, but when you can string together a few A's in a row, that can help your team win, then you've got a bonafide number 1 guy.

With Garand, consistency is a key difference between a pro-league tandem goalie, and a guy who is going towards being a real number 1 out there.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Wasn’t my preference to take a goalie there. But the sad thing is that once again Lindbom is playing very well when healthy. The problem is keeping him in the lineup.

Right. We'd be talking about what a steal Lindbom was had he been able to stay healthy. It's a shame.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Nice. Thank you. One general question, is 6’1” considered small for a goalie. Or is that a misprint? I’d think size is no concern at all for Garand. If they’re implying he’s too light, well, he’s young and apparently a gym rat, so to speak. All good in my opinion.
Shesterkin and Lundqvist are 6’1 I believe

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Nice. Thank you. One general question, is 6’1” considered small for a goalie. Or is that a misprint? I’d think size is no concern at all for Garand. If they’re implying he’s too light, well, he’s young and apparently a gym rat, so to speak. All good in my opinion.

6'1 would make him on the short end as the trend is toward bigger goalies with the thought that bigger goalies take up more net making their jobs easier...according to nhl.com, 87 goalies played this past regular season Khudobin, Saros and Halak are tied for the shortest at 5'11 and only 12 guys are 6'0 or shorter.

that said though it really isn't that big of a deal. hank & georgiev at 6'1...shesterkin is 6'2.

but another interesting thing considering the trend that a goalie needs to be tall....here are a few goalies that are 6'2 or shorter: Fleury, Crawford, Binnington, and Quick who combined have 8 stanley cups (yes fleury got rings as a backup)...if you look at 6'3 and shorter you can add Vasilvsky and Rask who have cups....on the flip side I think Matt Murray is the only guy over 6'4 with a ring.

so much like how everyone pushes for speed and offense because it works during the season and then those teams don't win in the playoffs...the trend is tall goalies are better but in reality the 'short' goalies have all the cups lol

Reactions: egelband

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Garand likely to play entire game tomorrow, available to watch at hockeycanada.ca.

Reactions: bl02

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
6'1 would make him on the short end as the trend is toward bigger goalies with the thought that bigger goalies take up more net making their jobs easier...according to nhl.com, 87 goalies played this past regular season Khudobin, Saros and Halak are tied for the shortest at 5'11 and only 12 guys are 6'0 or shorter.

that said though it really isn't that big of a deal. hank & georgiev at 6'1...shesterkin is 6'2.

but another interesting thing considering the trend that a goalie needs to be tall....here are a few goalies that are 6'2 or shorter: Fleury, Crawford, Binnington, and Quick who combined have 8 stanley cups (yes fleury got rings as a backup)...if you look at 6'3 and shorter you can add Vasilvsky and Rask who have cups....on the flip side I think Matt Murray is the only guy over 6'4 with a ring.

so much like how everyone pushes for speed and offense because it works during the season and then those teams don't win in the playoffs...the trend is tall goalies are better but in reality the 'short' goalies have all the cups lol

I've often wondered if there's going to be a sweet spot that emerges for a while --- kind of like the NFL with QBs.

Having said that, Garand is almost eerily similar in his makeup and approach to someone like Tyler Wall. Both guys tend to really rely on their positioning, squaring to the shooter and giving them nothing to shoot at.

Now, Wall has a little bit easier job because he's bigger than Garand by a few inches and about 20 pounds.

But, at the time of their respect drafts, Wall was closer to 6'2, 190 --- so that gap at the same age is only about an inch and 15 pounds. If Garand gets a little bigger, which is possible, you might be looking at a 6'2, 190 pound goalie.

I say that somewhat in concert with the belief that I don't think size will be the determining factor for Garand. I think it's going to come down to his lateral movement and his ability to keep adjusting to faster competition that will challenge his ability as a more of a technical, routine goalie.

Reactions: Leetch3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I've often wondered if there's going to be a sweet spot that emerges for a while --- kind of like the NFL with QBs.

Having said that, Garand is almost eerily similar in his makeup and approach to someone like Tyler Wall. Both guys tend to really rely on their positioning, squaring to the shooter and giving them nothing to shoot at.

Now, Wall has a little bit easier job because he's bigger than Garand by a few inches and about 20 pounds.

But, at the time of their respect drafts, Wall was closer to 6'2, 190 --- so that gap at the same age is only about an inch and 15 pounds. If Garand gets a little bigger, which is possible, you might be looking at a 6'2, 190 pound goalie.

I say that somewhat in concert with the belief that I don't think size will be the determining factor for Garand. I think it's going to come down to his lateral movement and his ability to keep adjusting to faster competition that will challenge his ability as a more of a technical, routine goalie.

Literally a matter of inches. I recall a couple of years ago one prominent and a vocal member of this board expressing concern with Shesterkin 6’1’ height at a time and a trend toward bigger goalies. Well, Shesterkin is now reported an inch taller (and with other considerations) and I haven’t seen or a heard a single concern about his height from anybody.

Reactions: LafKak

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Literally a matter of inches. I recall a couple of years ago one prominent and a vocal member of this board expressing concern with Shesterkin 6’1’ height at a time and a trend toward bigger goalies. Well, Shesterkin is now reported an inch taller (and with other considerations) and I haven’t seen or a heard a single concern about his height from anybody.

It's interesting to me because I've never really found heights to be a focus area or determining factor when it comes to goalies.

Obviously all things being equal, you might prefer a goalie who is 6'3 compared to a goalie who is 6'1, but I'v never really looked at a 6'0 or 6'1 goalie and thought to myself, "Eh, height could be a challenge there."

Maybe if you're looking at a guy who is 5'10 or so, but generally speaking I don't know if I've ever felt success was hinging on whether a guy was 6'3 or 6'1.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I couldn't possibly be bothered to care about any goalies we drafted. We have Shest and we have Georgie.

I can't believe they took 2 more goalies in this draft. At least they waited until the 5th round this time...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I couldn't possibly be bothered to care about any goalies we drafted. We have Shest and we have Georgie.

I can't believe they took 2 more goalies in this draft. At least they waited until the 5th round this time...
As I see it, when Wall is ready, you're moving on from Georgiev. When you're ready to move on from Wall, you're hoping Garand is ready. Internal backup options for cheap.

I don't mind taking a goalie late. Garand in the fourth is probably good value but is still a round too early for a goalie, for us, IMO.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
As I see it, when Wall is ready, you're moving on from Georgiev. When you're ready to move on from Wall, you're hoping Garand is ready. Internal backup options for cheap.

I don't mind taking a goalie late. Garand in the fourth is probably good value but is still a round too early for a goalie, for us, IMO.

Eh, if he pans out I highly doubt you’ll be looking back wishing they gambled on him being available a round later. I have no problem with them using a mid round pick on him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Eh, if he pans out I highly doubt you’ll be looking back wishing they gambled on him being available a round later. I have no problem with them using a mid round pick on him.
My issue is taking a goalie there. Whether it's Garand specifically or someone else, I'd really rather wait until the final three rounds to take a goalie. But again, he's a good value, so I'm not upset over it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's interesting to me because I've never really found heights to be a focus area or determining factor when it comes to goalies.

Obviously all things being equal, you might prefer a goalie who is 6'3 compared to a goalie who is 6'1, but I'v never really looked at a 6'0 or 6'1 goalie and thought to myself, "Eh, height could be a challenge there."

Maybe if you're looking at a guy who is 5'10 or so, but generally speaking I don't know if I've ever felt success was hinging on whether a guy was 6'3 or 6'1.

I definitely can see how starting at 6'1", all things being equal, anything at 2" or more could be considered an advantage and anything at 6'0" a disadvantage for goalies (especially considering some of the "generous" measurements some smaller players might get. I guess personally I see 6'1" as a subjective cut off point.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There was a segment on Hockey Tonight that talked about a need for a systematic goalie pipeline, specifically a need for at least 3 capable goalies at any time (including one in the AHL) - which I agree with. To that point, having a continuous pipeline with goalie prospects of different - almost annual - "vintage" is very important.

Reactions: we want cup

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I definitely can see how starting at 6'1", all things being equal, anything at 2" or more could be considered an advantage and anything at 6'0" a disadvantage for goalies (especially considering some of the "generous" measurements some smaller players might get. I guess personally I see 6'1" as a subjective cut off point.

In my head, it's probably about 6'0 --- though I've also found that a lot of goalies around that height are "bumped up" to 6'1.

It almost reminds me of helping put the media guides together back in the 90s. For skaters, 6'0 was the magic number and you often saw a lot of 5'11 players given the extra inch to help them along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad