OT: 2020 NFL and NCAAF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
They don't want to move games unless there's active outbreaks which still need to be contained. At least that's the party line. It just looks bad when all the 'screw you, we're playing on' tough guy stances occur against non-playoff teams (Denver, Detroit) while the let's postpone games or cut a deal ones benefit playoff contenders (Baltimore, Washington).

Did they postpone a game for Washington? I think they moved the Washington / Pitt game back because Pitt had to endure that ridiculous schedule change with the Ravens, so they played like three days before or whatever

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Did they postpone a game for Washington? I think they moved the Washington / Pitt game back because Pitt had to endure that ridiculous schedule change with the Ravens, so they played like three days before or whatever

They cut a deal to allow Haskins to practice this week, presumably bypassing their own protocols.

Reactions: Forge

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
NO can be as good as any team in the NFC if Brees can get back to form. He was much better against MIN but he still looks a bit off to me. I’m not sold on GB as a team so much as a great QB carrying them.
He under-threw a few passes, they say his ribs are still a little sore, but honestly, any QB or team looks good against that Minny D-fense right now. Any team can get to the big game this year, and I think GB has a good chance (not a GB fan, just saying)

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He under-threw a few passes, they say his ribs are still a little sore, but honestly, any QB or team looks good against that Minny D-fense right now. Any team can get to the big game this year, and I think GB has a good chance (not a GB fan, just saying)

Ive watched every single game of Brees for I don’t know how many years. He was absolutely awful against KC. Less than 50% completion and passes both under and overgrown including a couple that looked like he was targeting the defender. In comparison against MIN he underthrew a few and one that looked like he threw it to the defender. He completed about 80% of the passes. His ribs are still sore and he’s admitted as much. He went from atrocious to solid. He still needs to be better for them to win in the playoffs but presumably he’s fully healed up in a couple of more weeks. I agree it’s an open field this season. I haven’t been overly impressed with any one team. Hopefully that means some competitive team payoff games and a deserving champion .

Reactions: The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Ive watched every single game of Brees for I don’t know how many years. He was absolutely awful against KC. Less than 50% completion and passes both under and overgrown including a couple that looked like he was targeting the defender. In comparison against MIN he underthrew a few and one that looked like he threw it to the defender. He completed about 80% of the passes. His ribs are still sore and he’s admitted as much. He went from atrocious to solid. He still needs to be better for them to win in the playoffs but presumably he’s fully healed up in a couple of more weeks. I agree it’s an open field this season. I haven’t been overly impressed with any one team. Hopefully that means some competitive team payoff games and a deserving champion .
Bree's is getting up there in age, maybe his depth perception isnt as precise as it used to be

My3Sons

Sponsor
Bree's is getting up there in age, maybe his depth perception isnt as precise as it used to be

His timing and pocket awareness aren’t what they used to be. He’s still capable of playing an excellent game if he’s healthy and has a decent protection. If the rush comes from where he anticipates it he can still get rid of the ball but he guesses wrong more often now that he’s old. This is almost certainly his last season. Brady will come back for one more to make sure he beats any records he can take from Brees.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Dolphins are trying to act half pregnant vis-a-vis the QB situation. If the idea is to win Fitz should have been the QB throughout. If the idea is to let Tua develop I don't see how pulling him in must-win games helps. Might as well have redshirted him and let Fitz take his shot if they're just gonna yank him before he can lose, they already blew one game playing the wrong QB and it should have been two today but the Raiders...talk about a spectacular way to fubar a game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know that I'd actually have changed the Raiders strategy. They had two options:

-Score a TD and make the Dolphins go 75 yards to score a TD in a minute with no timeouts
-Score a FG and make the Dolphins go 40 yards in twenty seconds with no timeouts to get in long FG range

Really either option only requires you not be a moron to blow it but it's more conceivable the first option leads to a blown lead. That extra time is so valuable.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don't know that I'd actually have changed the Raiders strategy. They had two options:

-Score a TD and make the Dolphins go 75 yards to score a TD in a minute with no timeouts
-Score a FG and make the Dolphins go 40 yards in twenty seconds with no timeouts to get in long FG range

Really either option only requires you not be a moron to blow it but it's more conceivable the first option leads to a blown lead. That extra time is so valuable.
I would take my chances with the td and two at least if you get both at worst you will be tied

either way terrible defense by the raiders

then again, just make the xp and all this is a wash lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think you score that TD on third down instead of taking a knee.

Miami needed a big play to score their last TD. Go full prevent and force them to settle for short yardage and kill the clock.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think you score that TD on third down instead of taking a knee.

Miami needed a big play to score their last TD. Go full prevent and force them to settle for short yardage and kill the clock.

With the kind of defense they had on Fitz's 'no-look Hail Mary' they could have easily fubared a 75-yard field with a minute to go.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
With the kind of defense they had on Fitz's 'no-look Hail Mary' they could have easily fubared a 75-yard field with a minute to go.
That D also allowed a TD on the Dolphins previous drive in 42 seconds. And gave up game winning TD in the last minute against the Chargers and Chiefs.

All they had to do was not give up a dumb penalty, not allow a 30+ yard play and not letting the Fins get out of bounds after a completion. They failed on all three.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The Dolphins are trying to act half pregnant vis-a-vis the QB situation. If the idea is to win Fitz should have been the QB throughout. If the idea is to let Tua develop I don't see how pulling him in must-win games helps. Might as well have redshirted him and let Fitz take his shot if they're just gonna yank him before he can lose, they already blew one game playing the wrong QB and it should have been two today but the Raiders...talk about a spectacular way to fubar a game.
I said this in the NFL forum here but its worth repeating - when I first started following NFL in the 1970s, backup QBs coming in was quite common, if you ever look at the beginning of Bradshaw, Stabler and Staubach careers, they all started the first couple seasons as backups or getting benched quite often and they are all in the Hall of Fame.

Flores is old schooled like that, it doesn't phase him pulling Tua and I don't think it will affect his development. That said it will be interesting to see how Tua will do next week in Buffalo.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

In that case they were screwed no matter what then.

Still its harder to score a TD then a FG and Miami has a good kicker. They didn't need to get as close as they did to still kick that FG

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Something is up with KC. Mahomes is looking a bit off and it’s not all just the backup online that is causing problems to my eyes.

KC has motivation problems at this point (understandably so) when they're playing lesser teams. When they play better teams they crank it up. It probably doesn't help they all but have home field locked up.

Honestly the whole league has been backwards from what I thought late in the season, I figured the bad teams would just want to get home even more with all the restrictions and protocols and the good teams would roll them but it's been the opposite, the good teams (particularly the ones with playoff spots) haven't been motivated with the fact two byes dissapeared.

My3Sons

Sponsor
KC has motivation problems at this point (understandably so) when they're playing lesser teams. When they play better teams they crank it up. It probably doesn't help they all but have home field locked up.

Honestly the whole league has been backwards from what I thought late in the season, I figured the bad teams would just want to get home even more with all the restrictions and protocols and the good teams would roll them but it's been the opposite, the good teams (particularly the ones with playoff spots) haven't been motivated with the fact two byes dissapeared.

Mahomes is frustrated. Late season football is definitely weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad