2020 Hart Trophy - Who should win?

Who should win the 2020 Hart Trophy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
There is an absolutely massive gap in points and their points per game indicate Leon would have opened that lead up even more if the season completed. Combine that with him being on pace for 50 goals, factors in on a higher percentage of a team's goals than anyone else, lead the team while McDavid was out, and being the Art Ross winner on a playoff team he has all the makings of a Hart winner.

This should go to Draisaitl and history would indicate it most likely will.

Reactions: TSN Jdog

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
There is an absolutely massive gap in points and their points per game indicate Leon would have opened that lead up even more if the season completed. Combine that with him being on pace for 50 goals, factors in on a higher percentage of a team's goals than anyone else, lead the team while McDavid was out, and being the Art Ross winner on a playoff team he has all the makings of a Hart winner.

This should go to Draisaitl and history would indicate it most likely will.
Panarin did lead the league in even strength points. Not saying that tilts it in his favor, but it is worth mentioning.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Drai had 15 more points than Panarin and 17 more than MacKinnon. When was the last time a player led by that many points and didn't win the Hart? Legit question, has it ever happened?
It just happened like two years ago when Hall won the Hart haha. Granted, that was over a full 82 game season, but still.

StonebeatsMcdavid

Jul 3, 2020
Drai had 15 more points than Panarin and 17 more than MacKinnon. When was the last time a player led by that many points and didn't win the Hart? Legit question, has it ever happened?

Drai had 15 more points then Panarin and 17 more than Mack but both of those players played 2 less games. Also those two aren't the second placed finishers, McDavid is with 97 in 64 games which is on pace to be less than 3 points less than Draisaitl, which isn't that big of a distance. If you want to argue that Draisaitl wins the Hart, I don't mind. But let's not blow his stats out like they are the best stats we've ever seen.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Panarin was the best player this season, and he was as important to the Rangers as any other player. I was leaning away from him as the season was winding down, as the Rangers looked like they would likely miss the playoffs, but the qualification round makes things interesting, as the Rangers are now not in any worse of a position than the Oilers. I can see why people don't like the idea of considering teams outside the ones who would have made it based on the end of the year records in a typical playoff season, but these are odd times and I'm okay with going a bit against the typical.

I would have Draisaitl second, and can see the case for him being first. I think he was the best player in the league from the start of the season until mid-November, and from January on, but that 6 weeks in the middle of the season was really poor and hurts his overall level of play. The overall underlying numbers would suggest his defensive play and lesser 5v5 scoring than Panarin gives Panarin a bigger advantage 5v5 than Draisaitl had on the PP. Still, I do wonder whether averaging stats can overrate poor stretches, as a loss is still just one loss regardless of the score. He also improved the Oilers a ton when he was on the ice, even if not as highly as Panarin improved the Rangers.

I think MacKinnon is a clear third for me. I think there's an argument for him being the better player than Draisaitl this season due to better defense and less offensive support, but I don't think the difference, if any, if enough to change how much more valuable Draisaitl was to the Oilers in comparison, as the Avs were a surprisingly good team away from MacKinnon this year. The idea that he had no support this year is a complete myth.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
15 & 17 point lead in a shortened season. Drai probably beats the other two finalists by 20+ points if the season is a full 82 games.

Draisaitl is winning the Hart and Lindsay.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
MacKinnon has 43 more points than the second highest on his team - 93 to 50. Without MacKinnon, the Avs are sunk. I think he is MVP based on that. Maybe not the Lindsay, but I think he deserves the Hart.
Just curious why you would think he deserves one and not the other? Aren't they literally the exact same award, just voted on by a different set of people?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
MacKinnon has 43 more points than the second highest on his team - 93 to 50. Without MacKinnon, the Avs are sunk. I think he is MVP based on that. Maybe not the Lindsay, but I think he deserves the Hart.

When you watch your team, do you root for a certain player to score the most points? Or do you root for your team to score more goals than the other team? Cause the Avalanche where elite at out-scoring the other team even without MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad