OT: 2020 Football Thread: We Still Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

If there is a QB to trade for, this is the guy. He was performing with Chad Hansen at WR. I'm not sure what the price tag would be, but this is the guy I would be willing to blow some of the extra draft capital on. Seattle's 1st this year would definitely be on the table. I'm hesitant on #2. I would not want to move that pick. Seattle's 2021 1st would be on the table for me as well or possibly the Jets 2022 1st as Watson is such a huge upgrade that the pick might not end up being as high as we are expecting it to be now. I would add Darnold as well, if they are interested in giving him a shot, but that may need to be a separate deal all together for another team where the Jets get pick(s) back in return.

Just trade your #1 pick overall and get your stud QB while the Texans draft a new QB. Jets have enough cap space to buy weapons, etc.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How much of the salary cap should be devoted to the OL? In 2020, 12 LTs had cap hits of $10 million+ vs 4 LGs, 5 Cs, 2 RGs and 3 RTs. Raiders spent the most on the OL at $53 million, or about 25% of the cap. NFL Median is about $34 million. If you start paying your OL as if they're LTs you'll be well above that and wind up having rookies and vet minimums on defense.

How much should be spent?
It is a key area.
Answer: as much as manages to max team performance w/out cutting nose to spite face and have too little in other areas.

That said:
1. Becton just finished rookie yr
2. Sewell would be a rookie.

Sure, in a coupla yrs THEN you gotta worry about where you get the scratch from [presuming cap is not increased].

Betw. now and then, it's not a prob.

AND sure I wouldn't turn away a legit top QB if inexplicably one dropped in our laps, but,
I've come to the conclusion that even w/only decent + receivers [tho not poor ones] an NFL QB can pick apart defenses with enough time. But that doesn't happen w/o superior OL. And if we are gonna go big, so to speak, let's go real big for real w/Ts that can help w/outside rush.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If this even has even a slither of truth to it, Douglas needs to find out pronto. And yes, I'd give up our #2 pick straight up for Watson. Wouldn't even think twice about it.

I would move the #2 for Deshaun Watson.

Rangers had a painful stretch and we are lucky it wasn't more b'c we drafted very well and then got 2 high picks.

Point is, we kept going for it, and a little bit of a splurge was a reasonable risk, and then we got stupid w/EStaal and some other moves I'd take back. Not trading Girardi to a contender during final season before his last deal, that was a mistake. That new deal led to us also having to give the same # to Marc Staal.

So by not building, we did not help ourselves.

Sewell is a build move. Makes any QB you have back there more productive. Makes Becton more productive.

There are other assets if Deshaun Watson is available.
I may be willing to overpay for a guy I like, but only if I can live w/the currency.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
DeShaun Watson led the nfl with 4800 yards despite not having DeAndre Hopkins and the Texans only winning 4 games. He can be on my team and I argued the Jets should have drafted him instead of Jamal Adams.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
DeShaun Watson led the nfl with 4800 yards despite not having DeAndre Hopkins and the Texans only winning 4 games. He can be on my team and I argued the Jets should have drafted him instead of Jamal Adams.

If he truly becomes available, Douglas should be all in. Guy will be 26 in September, you are talking about getting what 8-10 prime years, with the way QB'S can't be touched in NFL at this point.

You would also open up offensive players then wanting to actually come here in free agency. So while you still have to overpay to get a guy like Robinson, he might actually have the Jets on his list, for reasons outside of a huge pile of cash.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
Belichick will offer like hundred draft picks to the Texans and get both Watson & Watt. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Belichick will offer like hundred draft picks to the Texans and get both Watson & Watt. It's not as crazy as it sounds.

yes it is crazy and will not happen.

JJ Watt is a FA in 2022 and saves the Texans $17 million if they cut him. On the open market, Watt isn’t getting close to those dollars as he’s 31, injury prone and has only 9 sacks over his last 22 games.

Watson is a player many will look at if he’s available IMO.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
yes it is crazy and will not happen.

JJ Watt is a FA in 2022 and saves the Texans $17 million if they cut him. On the open market, Watt isn’t getting close to those dollars as he’s 31, injury prone and has only 9 sacks over his last 22 games.

Watson is a player many will look at if he’s available IMO.

That's true. I didn't realize Watt has no guaranteed money left anymore. So BB will trade for Watson and sign Watt as a FA.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
That's true. I didn't realize Watt has no guaranteed money left anymore. So BB will trade for Watson and sign Watt as a FA.

yes, i could see that happening.

Meanwhile, Philadelphia’s DE Graham might be cut too due to their cap situation and i think he has a lot more in the tank.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Pats don't really have lot of draft capital. Jets #2 pick is worth more than all 2021 Patriots draft picks even including the Pats 2022 first.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Playoff picks that I just put a few sheckles on for this weekend.

On Saturday, I like the Bills-6.5, Seattle-4.5 and the WFT+9
On Sunday, I like the Titans+3.5, Saints-9.5 and the Steelers-5.5

There are some pretty decent games...looking forward to them.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If he truly becomes available, Douglas should be all in. Guy will be 26 in September, you are talking about getting what 8-10 prime years, with the way QB'S can't be touched in NFL at this point.

You would also open up offensive players then wanting to actually come here in free agency. So while you still have to overpay to get a guy like Robinson, he might actually have the Jets on his list, for reasons outside of a huge pile of cash.

Sure, there are exceptions, but methinks you are looking at 4 maybe 5 reasonably solid ones, after that, its a crapshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad