OT: 2020 Football Thread: We Still Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Would you honestly not complain about this season if the Jets won the Super Bowl a decade ago?
If the jets won a superbowl 10 years ago I wouldn't think the jets were a lost cause. I always assume they are going to suck and make the wrong decisions and am never disappointed.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If the jets won a superbowl 10 years ago I wouldn't think the jets were a lost cause. I always assume they are going to make the wrong decision and am never disappointed.

That's a bit of a difference. With Judge I don't think the Giants are a lost cause.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
That's just the adjustment for strength of schedule. How does he rank with the adjusted stats?

PFF data has so many holes.

Had Daniel Jones played better, had more weapons or fewer drops the opposing defenses wouldn’t have been ranked so high

Had Aaron Rodgers played worse the opposing defenses would be ranked so low.

Reactions: ponzu4u

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
thats 3 OT. Where are these guys playing?

no prob.
Sewell as LT
then can figure out what is best option depending on who else turns up.

If you could add even one more solid T for RT, then you use Becton and McG as super guards.

If that's not in the cards one -- prob McG -- plays RT and Becton plays G, prob LG next to Sewell. But it depends who the other guys are.

Our OL has been a joke for too long, seems like since DeBrick left. Getting an abundance of depth can't hurt.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
it's Sewell with Darnold and go win now

or

rookie QB and find OL elsewhere

choose

It's take the guarantee of an all pro LT and play Darnold by ear. Whether that means keeping him, trading him now, or upping his stock [due to better stats from improved protection] and trading him later, I'm open to best option.

But it starts with Sewell

Reactions: NYSPORTS

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It's take the guarantee of an all pro LT and play Darnold by ear. Whether that means keeping him, trading him now, or upping his stock [due to better stats from improved protection] and trading him later, I'm open to best option.

But it starts with Sewell
What guaranteed all pro lt are you referring to?

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
PFF data has so many holes.

Had Daniel Jones played better, had more weapons or fewer drops the opposing defenses wouldn’t have been ranked so high

Had Aaron Rodgers played worse the opposing defenses would be ranked so low.

Needs to be taken with a grain of salt, sure, but Mitchell Trubisky didn't exactly light the world on fire and was shown to have the easiest schedule against opposing defenses.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Needs to be taken with a grain of salt, sure, but Mitchell Trubisky didn't exactly light the world on fire and was shown to have the easiest schedule against opposing defenses.

If it needs to be taken with a grain of salt then what’s the point lol? Are you trying to strengthen a position that Daniel Jones, from the weakest Division since 1970 and his 11 TD’s and 10 ints had it soooo much tougher than Mitch T had 16TD’s and 8 ints?

PFF? Com’on.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If they get Sewell Becton goes to easier RT
UNLESS
there is another solid RT option and then they use Becton as a G
If Becton stays healthy he can be one of the best tackles in the game, I see zero chance of them potentially wasting that at guard.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
If Becton stays healthy he can be one of the best tackles in the game, I see zero chance of them potentially wasting that at guard.
If the Jets move becton to guard he won't resign with them. Moving him to RT would probably have a similar result.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
To me the Jets choices are:

1) take a QB at 2

2) take Sewell at 2 and figure out who plays RT

3) trade down

if you want a WR, it’s possible you can get the 5/6 pick in a trade, still get your guy, and grab some picks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I view this as maybe different parts but the same pg.
Take the even bigger, faster, better version of Becton in Sewell, keep him at the more difficult position LT.

Beston slots for LT.
I said IF IF IF we got a lights out OT, then no closeminded predeterminations, depending on who that is, that guy might be the RT pushing Becton to either G.

This is setting aside if they got another guy and had 3 outstanding T, some level of depth on part of the game can be deployed. That would reduce risk of injury and by keeping all 3 fresh, production results are higher.

We want Ts principally for pass protection.
Gs, yes obv that too, but Gs I see need for more mobility to participate in run plays.

If the Jets move becton to guard he won't resign with them. Moving him to RT would probably have a similar result.
Why do you assume that?
If he is a starting T or even a G and they pay him substantial enough, why does he bolt, presuming gradual improvement in rest of the team, particularly the offense?
And if NYJ shows commitment to a top notch OL, wouldn't that make his job easier?
So why does he walk away from that?

Yeah unless they agreed to pay him like an LT, which they wouldn't, I could see that.
Jets could and should pay him more if Sewell add forces it, and assuming Becton continues to develop to form.

Jets can easily pinch a few bucks here and there from a couple of positions to cover it,

----------

I am sick and tired of an inept OL.
In the modern era, go back to the glory days of the Niners and even the Namath Jets, top teams always get QB production b'c the OL is solid ++ if not actually dominant.

Taken Sewell and be done with it.
That's 2 out of 5 OL not counting a TE.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Why do you assume that?
If he is a starting T or even a G and they pay him substantial enough, why does he bolt, presuming gradual improvement in rest of the team, particularly the offense?
And if NYJ shows commitment to a top notch OL, wouldn't that make his job easier?
So why does he walk away from that?
How much of the salary cap should be devoted to the OL? In 2020, 12 LTs had cap hits of $10 million+ vs 4 LGs, 5 Cs, 2 RGs and 3 RTs. Raiders spent the most on the OL at $53 million, or about 25% of the cap. NFL Median is about $34 million. If you start paying your OL as if they're LTs you'll be well above that and wind up having rookies and vet minimums on defense.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
How much of the salary cap should be devoted to the OL? In 2020, 12 LTs had cap hits of $10 million+ vs 4 LGs, 5 Cs, 2 RGs and 3 RTs. Raiders spent the most on the OL at $53 million, or about 25% of the cap. NFL Median is about $34 million. If you start paying your OL as if they're LTs you'll be well above that and wind up having rookies and vet minimums on defense.

i think a more substantial portion. Looking forward to seeing how the Colts perform this weekend with their OL outdoors.

If you can control the LOS by running and a short passing game i think the long passing game opens up. I think if you punish the opponents DL and hold onto the football the fresher your DL will be against the opponents OL b/c they haven’t expended all their energy. A tired opposing DL means a receiver will get open and a solid secondary will likely lose with this NFL rules. If your DL is fresh they likely will pressure the opponents more.

The above is basically what the Giants are trying. Problem is, the idiot GM preached one thing and then went HB, QB and missed on too many FA OL and has a few suspect draft picks. The Giants DL is legit but, of course, two of the three starters are free agents.

Reactions: bernmeister

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
i think a more substantial portion. Looking forward to seeing how the Colts perform this weekend with their OL outdoors.

If you can control the LOS by running and a short passing game i think the long passing game opens up. I think if you punish the opponents DL and hold onto the football the fresher your DL will be against the opponents OL b/c they haven’t expended all their energy. A tired opposing DL means a receiver will get open and a solid secondary will likely lose with this NFL rules. If your DL is fresh they likely will pressure the opponents more.

The above is basically what the Giants are trying. Problem is, the idiot GM preached one thing and then went HB, QB and missed on too many FA OL and has a few suspect draft picks. The Giants DL is legit but, of course, two of the three starters are free agents.
The Ravens spent $21 million on their OL and led the league in rushing. If you spend too much money on your OL you'll turn into a team like the packers but without Aaron Rodgers.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

If there is a QB to trade for, this is the guy. He was performing with Chad Hansen at WR. I'm not sure what the price tag would be, but this is the guy I would be willing to blow some of the extra draft capital on. Seattle's 1st this year would definitely be on the table. I'm hesitant on #2. I would not want to move that pick. Seattle's 2021 1st would be on the table for me as well or possibly the Jets 2022 1st as Watson is such a huge upgrade that the pick might not end up being as high as we are expecting it to be now. I would add Darnold as well, if they are interested in giving him a shot, but that may need to be a separate deal all together for another team where the Jets get pick(s) back in return.

Last edited:
Reactions: East Coast Bias

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The Ravens spent $21 million on their OL and led the league in rushing. If you spend too much money on your OL you'll turn into a team like the packers but without Aaron Rodgers.

besides DJ the Ravens OL is young. They’re inexpensive. Yeah, you need to rotate the stock. Why not add an inexpensive brick? Seems to be working for the Ravens while teams like Indy and the Titans have spent more but they win.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

If there is a QB to trade for, this is the guy. He was performing with Chad Hansen at WR. I'm not sure what the price tag would be, but this is the guy I would be willing to blow some of the extra draft capital on. Seattle's 1st this year would definitely be on the table. I'm hesitant on #2. I would not want to move that pick. Seattle's 2021 1st would be on the table for me as well or possibly the Jets 2022 1st as Watson is such a huge upgrade that the pick might not end up being as high as we are expecting it to be now. I would add Darnold as well, if they are interested in giving him a shot, but that may need to be a separate deal all together for another team where the Jets get pick(s) back in return.

Jets should have drafted him. Not sure what a good trade would be as Texans would take on a ton of dead cap space and Watson probably would not want to be trade to jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad