Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm reading between the lines, but I get the sense that the Jets want more from Laine in terms of off-season training and improvement. He needs to put in the work to improve his quickness and strength, and he needs to continually improve his skills in the off-season. If he isn't committed to that, he's never going to reach his full potential as an elite player.

I thought all of those issues have been addressed. Didn't he train much harder last year and was on the ice much earlier in the summer working on his skating. I guess we will see if that continues or not.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Let me get this right?

We want to try and trade Laine for a future 2C/1B and then try to trade again for a future goal scorer in the right side?

The guys did what he was asked by the coach to improve and worked his other side of the game. And it showed improvement and he was still going to get 30 goals before turning 22.

Trading a player that was putting the work to sacrifice his personal goal to be one of the best goal scorers in the league for the betterment of the team,
Is a bad management move.

Imagine Laine being use by a coach who knows what to do with a weapon like him. Instead of pleasing players that would run through brick wall for him.

Keep the core Chevy built.
Laine, Connor Ehlers, Hellybuyck, Scheifele, Morrissey.

Give the young guys the now the remaining spots.
Appleton Harkins gusstafson, samberg heinola

Change the coaching staff and build these guys up 1 to 2 years. Use the available Little and Buff money and expiring contracts to fill the gaps.

Schiefele as Captain.

This plan only includes 11 players...we can't sign 9 guys win free agency....this plan will fail.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Lately I’ve been pondering the whole Laine for Ekblad idea. Florida obviously needs to do something and bringing in a potential 50 goal winger along side Barkov and Huberdeau may get the fan base excited again. Ekblad paired with JoMo and Samberg or Heinola alongside DeMelo would be a good second pairing. Flip Pionk+ for a 2C.
I would hate to lose Laine but I definitely don’t want to pay him 10+M for a streaky goalscorer and if we could get a top pair RHD under contract for 5 years I think we need to do it.
I would also like to see Chevy use our new cap space to maybe pull an extra 1st or prospect from a cap struggling team. Maybe StL 1st for taking Steen as an example

I like getting Ekblad more and more when I ponder it.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
PS' thanks for replying with candor...

I am not a Quinton Byfield cheerleader... I am pretty sure I have never talked him up on this Board...

Now Stutzle is sexy... I have mentioned him... your replied you would investigate further...

The Jets in the "public opinion" need to get more "gritty" on the back end...

And I would say the Jets need a physical presence up the middle.... and By' fits that bill to Me...

Otherwise I have 9 or 10 million reasons to object... even if it brings goals... but promises less than longevity, character and winning a Stanley Cup from the "Winger"...

Stutzle...? You injected him in the conversation...

I think I need a cigarette now...

giphy.gif
\\Is that Scarlet Johanssen? Who is that?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought all of those issues have been addressed. Didn't he train much harder last year and was on the ice much earlier in the summer working on his skating. I guess we will see if that continues or not.
I was reading into Maurice's comments, who said they need young players to turn into drivers like Scheifele. He then mentioned Ehlers and Connor as players that had taken steps forward, but no mention of Laine. I still think Laine should have improved more in the past couple of seasons.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was reading into Maurice's comments, who said they need young players to turn into drivers like Scheifele. He then mentioned Ehlers and Connor as players that had taken steps forward, but no mention of Laine. I still think Laine should have improved more in the past couple of seasons.

Ah I didn't listen to Maurice, I find it better for my sanity.

I don't really disagree that he should have possibly improved by more but Conner is the furthest thing from a play driver at this point in his career and Scheifele the last few seasons has not been nearly what he was in that regards.

I personally think Maurice needs to get back to coaching some of those players that he deems not to require coaching.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I just don't see why Florida trades Ekblad. Sure he may not have lived up to expectations as a number 1 pick but he's still a very good big physical dmen that seems to have put the concussions behind him.

I would change the pick to a 2021 pick and do the deal.

Laine straight up. Re-energizes the fan base bringing in a snipe to play with Barkov and Huberdeau. Florida needs to make a big statement and this could be it

Total Cure

May 15, 2017
Sign DeMelo for the 2RHD spot. He’ll be cheaper than Pionk (after next year) long term.
Trade Laine & Pionk to Florida for Ekblad, 2020 1st (12OA), +?. Not sure what the + would be. 2021 1st? Too much? Not enough? Borgstrom?
As stated above, Florida does this to Re-energize their fan base and to incentivize Barkov to re-sign in two years. They can even make a splash be re-signing both at the same time. Pionk mitigates the loss of Ekblad.
This helps the Jets on a few levels. Upgrade on D. Cost certainty of top pairing D vs what Laine will want. With 10OA & 12OA, Jets pick two of Rossi/Lundell/Mercer & Sanderson/Schneider. Sets up C and D longer term.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Sign DeMelo for the 2RHD spot. He’ll be cheaper than Pionk (after next year) long term.
Trade Laine & Pionk to Florida for Ekblad, 2020 1st (12OA), +?. Not sure what the + would be. 2021 1st? Too much? Not enough? Borgstrom?
As stated above, Florida does this to Re-energize their fan base and to incentivize Barkov to re-sign in two years. They can even make a splash be re-signing both at the same time. Pionk mitigates the loss of Ekblad.
This helps the Jets on a few levels. Upgrade on D. Cost certainty of top pairing D vs what Laine will want. With 10OA & 12OA, Jets pick two of Rossi/Lundell/Mercer & Sanderson/Schneider. Sets up C and D longer term.
Not trading Laine until the TDL at the earliest, and only then if it looks like his contract asks will be to high.
Also, any players we get at 10 & 12 won’t be helping us for a couple years, so it does nothing for us now.
I’d flip #10+, either through trade or OS, for Cirelli. A legit young 2C, who could step into the position now.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I wonder (hope) if Perfetti could be a bit of a faller due to his skating.

Any chance he’s there at #10?

If he works on his defensive game, improves his skating and faceoff skills, he might be able to play C at the NHL level and could be our 1B C for the next decade.

Rumours are Buffalo seems to be pretty high on him, and could be a winger for Eichel or the #2C they desperately need too.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Ekblad++ for Laine.

Don’t think Florida would like my ++.

I would rather package Pionk, Lowry, 2021 1st, ?

Edit: Moving Ekblad’s contract is difficult in a flat cap world. If Florida wants to move his cap hit, as a cap casualty, I wouldn’t give them top dollar in a deal.

Reactions: Nedarb and BatVader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad