Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Thread

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Fair enough about the Wings but the Sens may very well take a flyer at #5. That's still a hard choice because it'll be cost controlled asset and still a great player to replace Serg.

But I digress to JFBB
I hate to be that guy, but I think you defer to JFBB (unless you're wasting his time by talking about a subject that isn't relevant).

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Right now our first pick (for now) is at #62. Looking back at Bob McKenzie's rankings, just to throw out a name, he has a 6'4" Finnish dman - Joni Jurmo ranked 60th. He's an offensive puck moving dman who can really get up the ice and go. He says he models his game after Miro Heiskanen.

Craig Button says: "Good skating defenceman who likes to get into the offensive play. Good range with good puck skills and is confident with the puck. Improvement has been very good and has good potential."

Jurmo is a bit raw, but Button believes he can put it all together like former 3rd rounder Esa Lindell. "I think for Joni, a lot of it was similar for Esa in the sense of it's just going to take time for everything to come together. From the time I've watched Joni at 16 til now, I've been pretty impressed with his progress. When I look at the playoffs and I look at NHL teams, defenseman like him I think become really valuable."

Pronman's most recent 7 round mock has Tampa taking Jurmo with their first pick, #62 at the end of the 2nd round.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Topi Niemela is a 5'10" 156 righty defenseman. He's been playing above his age group the past few years. He was the only 2002 born dman to play on Finland's 2019 U-18 WC team and this past season he played 43 games for Karpat in the Liiga. Bob has him ranked 38th and Button says "his game seems to be weighted towards being an offensive-type player. Good deception along with puck skills allows him to make plays that create offensive opportunities."
Been four years since we took finnish player and there has been some good picks to be taken from there. Idk why we avoid swedish and finnish players.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn is probably getting traded before then. Gotta be like an 80, 90 percent chance.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, I suspect that we will be picking sooner than 62 before it’s all said and done. Wouldn’t hurt to get a little interested in the guys in the first round. I hope JBB makes his moves sooner than later though

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Killorn is probably getting traded before then. Gotta be like an 80, 90 percent chance.
It's hard to tell when moves will happen. I don't think we have definite cap numbers for next season yet, the draft starts in two days, and free agency begins on Friday. There's also no negotiation period this year so gauging the market might be difficult.

I know I'd probably be cautious to jump on a trade if a UFA is going to be out there in less than a week.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
JBB noted in an interview earlier in the week that he will have to move very fast to find a trading partner because there are other teams in a similar position - to a lesser degree - and only so many trading partners on the other end of the equation. I expect Killorn to be traded very soon - unless TJ waives and Coburn retires, in which case he may try and see if he can magically make it work with Killer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's hard to tell when moves will happen. I don't think we have definite cap numbers for next season yet, the draft starts in two days, and free agency begins on Friday. There's also no negotiation period this year so gauging the market might be difficult.

I know I'd probably be cautious to jump on a trade if a UFA is going to be out there in less than a week.
Seems like we have to move him by the draft though. My guess is it's already being worked on.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
JBB noted in an interview earlier in the week that he will have to move very fast to find a trading partner because there are other teams in a similar position - to a lesser degree - and only so many trading partners on the other end of the equation. I expect Killorn to be traded very soon - unless TJ waives and Coburn retires, in which case he may try and see if he can magically make it work with Killer.
Even if Johnson waives, I think we still have to move Killorn. If Johnson doesn't waive, moving killorn and one of the RFAs is not unrealistic. In separate deals of course. If it comes to that, and I hope it doesn't, I think we will trade Cirelli for a very good pick.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Even if Johnson waives, I think we still have to move Killorn. If Johnson doesn't waive, moving killorn and one of the RFAs is not unrealistic. In separate deals of course. If it comes to that, and I hope it doesn't, I think we will trade Cirelli for a very good pick.

Cirelli to Ottawa for #3, and we draft Quinton Byfield :nod:

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I agree - RFA priority is Serg, Cirelli and then Cernak, with Serg as the only untouchable.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree - RFA priority is Serg, Cirelli and then Cernak, with Serg as the only untouchable.
I think Cirelli gets moved before Cernak. Cirelli is the better player, but losing Cernak creates the bigger hole, and he would be probably half the price. Meanwhile Cirelli has much higher trade value and we would be replacing him with Stamkos.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think Cirelli gets moved before Cernak. Cirelli is the better player, but losing Cernak creates the bigger hole, and he would be probably half the price. Meanwhile Cirelli has much higher trade value and we would be replacing him with Stamkos.

At this point, I'll just be happy if we can even keep Sergachev. I do agree with your assessment that Cernak will cost half as much. The only difference between Sergachev and the other guys is that his trade value is so tremendous we could outright trade him for magic beans and draft his replacement tomorrow and roll over the money to re-sign Bogosian.

Let's pretend we send Serg and Paquette to Ottawa for #5 for the sake of spitting the shit for a second

Hedman-Bogosian (1.5 million x 2 years)
McDonagh-Cernak (2.25 million x 3 years)

Drysdale or Sanderson takes bottom pairing with Coburn

Foote is #7

We will have only used maybe like... $4 million-ish of cap space there.

I'll eat my hat if it happens and I find the odds of this happening to be like .005% and this is just hypothetical nonsense. The only real facts we have to work with is our defense is gonna be a mess in a hurry if we can't get some guys to sign for cheap.

But you're also right that losing Cirelli will hurt the least because we can roll Stamkos-Point-Gourde as 1-2-3 if needed and be just fine. It's liable the organization sees it that way far better than what I said too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad