Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Thread

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know it's a little early yet but any guys jumping out you'd want to see us take? Given that we aren't unlikely to get some draft capital on exchange for (let's say) a guy like Killorn, it doesn't feel impossible we couldn't have a 1st rounder.

Anyhow discuss and speculate

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Given that we don't have a pick, I think a guy like Yegor Sokolov is up our alley.
I don't know exactly what our alley is right now. Are we a more physical team now, or do we keep taking the same skill & speed type of guys and supplement with physicality?

I haven't seen these guys play, but their profiles seem appealing. I don't want to take 'project players', but TB does have the luxury of being able to keep guys in Syracuse until they're overripe.

Roby Jarventie
Carson Bantle
Jaromir Pytlik
Jack Finley

Reactions: KuchMeImDreamin

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think position/style matters more when you're drafting core players. If that opportunity isn't there, we should go BPA, and hope one of them develops into a core player, like with Point and Kucherov. We don't really have the best of histories when we get away from BPA and try to address organizational needs (right shot defensemen, for instance).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think position/style matters more when you're drafting core players. If that opportunity isn't there, we should go BPA, and hope one of them develops into a core player, like with Point and Kucherov. We don't really have the best of histories when we get away from BPA and try to address organizational needs (right shot defensemen, for instance).
How TB defines BPA is the thing here. Do they define BPA as the guy who gets the most Corgis, or the guy who will be the most player, completeness wise?

There are a bunch of power forward/two-way (often European) types ranked right around TB's first pick, which addresses both BPA and need.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I admit that's exactly why I went with an overage QMJHL winger. We've had tons of luck on that end and it looks to me we just really need to work on the skating.

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't have any names right now. With a new kid this season, work and Covid haven't had the time like usual to really pay attention to this draft class. I think the organization will go a bit more CHL heavy though. We have been drafting out of the USHL or Europe more than the CHL the last two drafts. We only have Fortier and Semykin coming to Syracuse this year. Next season we can possibly have Green, Perbix, Walker, Guttman, Koepke, Schmeimenn and Cajkovic all turning pro. We can push Perbix, Walker, Guttman and Koepke back a season but most likely we get one or two to turn pro before they finish the 4 years and can become a free agent. We have a couple of goalies who seem to be two years out.

So it seems like we need some CHL kids who are two years out or a late round kid who has another year in the USHL before college so we can stretch him out 4 or 5 years. When it comes to the type of players it would be nice to add some size at forward, 6'2 or better, but I doubt we go that way as we hardly do that. Handedness doesn't matter as we have a good mix of lefties and righties in the system. Besides a power forward I would like an absolute sniper,, someone who can straight fire it.. On D we also have a good mix of handedness as well, we usually pick 6'+ two way guys. Would like to go with a very offensive minded guy to add to the system. I'll try to do some research as I have a few months it seems till the draft anyway.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think there's a slight advantage to taking Europeans this year as they can be moved around to avoid COVID closures. With a European he could be in Syracuse (ideally), or shift around the different teams of his Euro club's affiliates. Elite, 2nd level, junior, etc.

Do we take an NCAA guy, for example, if we think that a NCAA season next year at all is shaky? If TB finds a player they can't live without maybe.

Fortunately most Div-I teams don't seem to draw all that well anyway most nights.

edit: The USHL and NCAA might be able to work out an agreement should the NCAA shut down. Players who transfer schools and are still eligible for the USHL will often spend their transfer year being bussed around Iowa. (If you're transferring schools that early though, you probably jumped into college puck too early)

The NCAA has a reputation for being inflexible though, and the USHL is *technically* a competitor.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think there's a slight advantage to taking Europeans this year as they can be moved around to avoid COVID closures. With a European he could be in Syracuse (ideally), or shift around the different teams of his Euro club's affiliates. Elite, 2nd level, junior, etc.

Do we take an NCAA guy, for example, if we think that a NCAA season next year at all is shaky? If TB finds a player they can't live without maybe.

Fortunately most Div-I teams don't seem to draw all that well anyway most nights.

edit: The USHL and NCAA might be able to work out an agreement should the NCAA shut down. Players who transfer schools and are still eligible for the USHL will often spend their transfer year being bussed around Iowa. (If you're transferring schools that early though, you probably jumped into college puck too early)

The NCAA has a reputation for being inflexible though, and the USHL is *technically* a competitor.

I don't see how a kid picked around 60 is going to come over and make Syracuse next season. If you're being picked in that range you need a year or two more in juniors before you should turn pro. They can come across but will most likely be in Orlando like Shalagin was this year, I know he was a 7th round pick not a 2nd. Plus we don't know about any future travel restrictions so it may be hard to move a kid from one league to another or even to bring a kid overseas. I wouldn't avoid a Euro if they were there and were worth the pick but would just prefer someone already in North America who you can monitor a little better even if they aren't playing games.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't see how a kid picked around 60 is going to come over and make Syracuse next season. If you're being picked in that range you need a year or two more in juniors before you should turn pro. They can come across but will most likely be in Orlando like Shalagin was this year, I know he was a 7th round pick not a 2nd. Plus we don't know about any future travel restrictions so it may be hard to move a kid from one league to another or even to bring a kid overseas. I wouldn't avoid a Euro if they were there and were worth the pick but would just prefer someone already in North America who you can monitor a little better even if they aren't playing games.
Syracuse is more because the organization gets direct control over development (and an earlier adjustment to the NA game). I read a profile like Roby Jarventie, and it seems like if he starts to take pride in a defensive game, he could be a player. With a Euro team, you're sort of at the mercy of the priorities of their coaching staff. However, I'd rather have a guy play games than sit out his post-draft year.

CHL players are 20-years-old because of an agreement with the NHL to not take too many of their players. It's not necessarily because that's the best place for them.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Exactly.

Having the most available teams to play on (and structuring your contract for it to be so) is going to be a benefit this season.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Exactly.

Having the most available teams to play on (and structuring your contract for it to be so) is going to be a benefit this season.

Probably the least surprising development we will see until next year. Plus we kept making so many changes to the defense with so many different players, Masin never had a chance in the meantime. Probably a case of a player good enough to play elsewhere but not for Tampa.

All the best of luck to your career, Dom!

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
The lack of physical and bigger players generally being drafted by the Bolts led to the urgency of acquiring Coleman and the big forward from San Jose in exchange for multiple first round picks. Its ok to gamble on occasion and pick a Point in the third or a Kucherov in the second but when you consistently draft undersized players - its going to catch up to you! This seemed to be mostly Yzerman's philosophy so Im hoping that Brisbois shows a little more diversity with his drafting!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The lack of physical and bigger players generally being drafted by the Bolts led to the urgency of acquiring Coleman and the big forward from San Jose in exchange for multiple first round picks. Its ok to gamble on occasion and pick a Point in the third or a Kucherov in the second but when you consistently draft undersized players - its going to catch up to you! This seemed to be mostly Yzerman's philosophy so Im hoping that Brisbois shows a little more diversity with his drafting!
This is a good point.

There's also this idea that's never really happened where TB picks BPA, a small guy, who turns into a bona fide NHLer, and trades him early in his career to get this huge bounty that addresses all these team needs. TB doesn't trade those players.

Drouin sort of fits, but if he was willing to do what the team had wanted at the time, I don't think we'd have Sergachev right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Katchouk and Raddysh are bigger than both. They just aren't ready yet, they didn't take the leap like Point and Cirelli did right after juniors.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

What's harder to find on the market? Coleman/Goodrow or a Point/Kucherov........

Reactions: Zwui21

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
What's harder to find on the market? Coleman/Goodrow or a Point/Kucherov........
No one is arguing that Point/Kucherov were not great draft picks who translated into All-Star caliber talent. My point is that other than a few rare picks, TB has generally avoided larger and more physical players. This was especially true during Yzerman's helm. As long as the NHL will officiate the game in the playoffs as they have done for the better part of 3 decades, a team made up mostly of 5'10" skilled forwards will struggle to win the Cup- Finally Brisbois saw the writing on the wall and he went out and overpaid for Coleman and Goodrow. All things being equal, the trades needed to be made! Hope there is a bigger return this Aug-Oct than there was in Feb!

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
This is a good point.

There's also this idea that's never really happened where TB picks BPA, a small guy, who turns into a bona fide NHLer, and trades him early in his career to get this huge bounty that addresses all these team needs. TB doesn't trade those players.

Drouin sort of fits, but if he was willing to do what the team had wanted at the time, I don't think we'd have Sergachev right now.
You nailed it with Drouin! Thankfully he pulled that temper tantrum and convinced the Bolts to trade him and the Canadiens were stupid enough to think they were acquiring a French saviour and gave up a soon to be great young Defenseman. Serg is very very good right now. Otherwise we would be left with an aging McDonough or resigned Stralman as our #2 defenseman! Yikes!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
No one is arguing that Point/Kucherov were not great draft picks who translated into All-Star caliber talent. My point is that other than a few rare picks, TB has generally avoided larger and more physical players. This was especially true during Yzerman's helm. As long as the NHL will officiate the game in the playoffs as they have done for the better part of 3 decades, a team made up mostly of 5'10" skilled forwards will struggle to win the Cup- Finally Brisbois saw the writing on the wall and he went out and overpaid for Coleman and Goodrow. All things being equal, the trades needed to be made! Hope there is a bigger return this Aug-Oct than there was in Feb!
The defense was pretty big, and Yzerman never completely abandoned drafting bigger forwards.

There was a definite trend towards undersized forwards though. It didn't seem like it was any kind of immediate priority to get bigger and more physical on the Lightning roster, as the undersized guys kept making the show and pushing depth guys, who did have those attributes, out.

Pick a power forward and put him back in junior for two more years, etc. JT Brown had flaws to his game, but it was at least a very good attempt at signing a gritty college free agent, although he's only 5'10.

Basically none of those big power forwards revealed themselves as full-time NHLers (and Brett Howden got traded for McD), so here we are after some lean draft years in certain respects.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Coleman is only 5'11. I don't think it's really the size but the play style. Mitchell Stephens plays that style but you can't rely on a rookie to step up that much in the playoffs.
Size, in conjunction with heart and skill, is an advantage though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

We have 3 players 5'10 and under and one of them is Brayden Point, the majority of teams if not all are in the same boat without an all-star center but sure lets exaggerate. The only reason we can afford to trade for Coleman's/Goodrow's is because we've developed a prospect pool that becomes homegrown roster talent avoiding the need for other necessity trades that most teams in the NHL require, you know.... like skilled scoring..........

The "overpay" for Coleman and Goodrow if you can call it that is extremely minor compared what teams pay for scoring, especially in FA market. How Yzerman/Murray have formulated the prospect pool is directly tied to how we've been able to stay competitive for so long and for the foreseeable future, so yeah drafting is far and away our least worry.

Last edited:

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
We have 3 players 5'10 and under and one of them is Brayden Point, the majority of teams if not all are in the same boat without an all-star center but sure lets exaggerate. The only reason we can afford to trade for Coleman's/Goodrow's is because we've developed a prospect pool that becomes homegrown roster talent avoiding the need for other necessity trades that most teams in the NHL require, you know.... like skilled scoring..........

The "overpay" for Coleman and Goodrow if you can call it that is extremely minor compared what teams pay for scoring, especially in FA market. How Yzerman/Murray have formulated the prospect pool is directly tied to how we've been able to stay competitive for so long and for the foreseeable future, so yeah drafting is far and away our least worry.
Psshh but everyone knows first round picks are guaranteed money. And then we pissed it all away for LOLGrit. We obviously need to score 9 goals every game.:sarcasm:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Germany vs Switzerland at 11 am ET

Stutzle, Peterka, and Reichel are all likely first round picks. Stutzle in the top 2-3 overall.

GER's Jakub Borzecki's ('02) dad played for the Crunch, so he was born in Syracuse. 64th ranked European skater.

edit: no announcer or anything, so here're the rosters Game

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad