Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Part II - We have the 10th pick

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have some concerns about Blake's deal but he has 4 more years left on the deal which will take him to 37. Now Blake is still a really good hockey player (even if he is not the prime Wheeler). That is one vet on a potentially bad deal. Jesus look at the wild with 4 guys on expensive deals that take them up to or past Blake's age arc on the life of his deal.

I'm ok with one or even two legacy contracts where you have a player who played for your team for years at a below market contract and put in effort in the community and on the ice. You give them a nice contract that takes them to retirement provided they can be a player you can still use. But when you start getting into handing FA's and anyone who will sign contracts like that you end up in trouble. Wheelers deal doesn't bother me, especially because we have some flexibility. But man I would hate to be tied down to those Minny contracts. That's a lot of money ($30 mil) tied up in guys that could fall off a cliff soon. Contrast that with Toronto paying over 30 mil for Marner, Tavares and Matthews and I think I would much rather be in Toronto's shoes.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Wild is who teams should have nightmares of becoming. Solid first round team for almost a decade and I don't think anyone ever saw them as cup contenders in that span. I mean, playoffs are awesome, but at some point mediocrity just stinks. A rebuild would do them good.

Yeah small market team though, I think they are just happy with that playoff revenue coming in. As much as we fans want our teams to be successful, it's still a business spearheaded by billionaires. They aren't usually in it for the fun, they are in it to make money.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Wild fans want a goal scorer, I am unsure as to what Bill Guerin plans to do. He seems like he wants to win and win now but I just don't see them doing that. They gave a massive contract to Zuccarello(now that is a boat anchor not Wheeler's contract) and they still have Parise's contract(oh wait that is another boat anchor) but at least he is somewhat capable still. They got 13 points from Rask for 4 million, an aged Koivu, luckily for them Fiala turned to be something. They still have a very solid top 4 D but it is getting older and Dubnyk seems to be done.

There prospect pool is ok but they need to hope Kaprizov is the real deal and not a pretender. I get what Guerin is saying maybe he gives them the start of next season and pulls the plug if they are out and dump guys and rebuild.

Kaprisov has been a prolific scorer in the KHL and at 23 years old one would think will be plug and play in the NHL. Unless he falls flat its a a sizable addition. Another key is can Fiala duplicate his break out season as the Wild's leading scorer?? He is 24 now so did he take the step or is that kind of a one off lucky season? The wild on paper are kind of meh........they are not bad but they aren't going to win a cup so they are that dreaded tweener zone still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad