Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, Rounds 1 & 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
This is a gutsy and unique list, so I applaud you on that.

My one note would be with everyone who has the "we need to draft defensemen because we need defensemen" mentality. Justin Barron -- whom I like and find to be quite talented -- is not a player you draft at #20 overall.

Quite simply, Barron did not have a good 2019-20 season. Sure, part of this was due to injuries but there was no real stretch of the seasons where even the biggest Halifax Mooseheads fan could say Barron was playing even close to expectations. Barron was coming off a very good draft-minus-2 season and an excellent Hlinka-Gretzky Tourney and there were high expectations for him. But not only did Barron not show improvement from the year before, there was possibly even some regression there.

Here's what you're getting with Justin Barron. He's a terrific skater and a big kid, which is impressive, but seems to be a running theme with "universally over-ranked defensemen". He's solid defensively, but we're not talking a Braden Schneider-like shut-down force. Barron is actually not physical at all, he relies more on his inherent speed advantage than his inherent size advantage. Barron has a good shot from the point, anticipates the play well, and is very difficult to beat in one-on-one battles. But this is really what you're getting, because Barron has shown no extraordinary puck skills or passing ability. I would call him "functional" in both respects.

So, what we have in Barron is a RD who is good but not great in his own zone, functional with the puck and can give you an unremarkable, efficient game. I would say he has a high floor as a 5/6 D because of the size and speed combined with his solid defensive play. But the upside is as a mid-pairing guy and -- coming off a very tough 2019-20 -- he's a long way from that.

Yes, I would draft Justin Barron. But not at #20. I just made the same argument about a similar RD in Helge Grans, and would say the same about Barron. There is just too much talent you'd be passing up to cross your fingers that Barron or Grans develop into their ultimate upside as a #3/#4 defenseman. I'd rather wait until the 3rd or 4th round and take a RD with similar upside like Faber or Niemela or Moore or Persson or Rafkin.
What if you replace Schneider into the 18 and slide Peterka to 20?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What if you replace Schneider into the 18 and slide Peterka to 20?

That would be a good draft. Peterka comes with some risk, but you're talking about a real hustler with a tremendous set of hands who can shoot the lights out. It would be tough to complain about a winger with that the of upside at #18 overall. As far as Schneider goes -- well, I absolutely love him. He's just a shut-down beast on the blueline, and he has a great mix of size and speed. I think he compares somewhat to Colton Parayko, only without the cannon from the point. There's no doubt that the Devils top organizational need is at RD, and Schneider looks like he's ready to step into a major NHL role as early as 2021-22.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If we don't get Drysdale at pick 7, then Helge Grans probably comes into consideration at pick 18 or 20.

I don't disagree with Cosentino. We have Ty Smith and Reilly Walsh and that's it with regards to offensive D prospects in NJ organization.

We have much better defensive D prospect depth, so I do want to get an offensive D in this draft.

But the one I really want is Drysdale.
i thought daniil misyul is a converted forward. he might focuses on the d aspect of the game, but hopefully will end up as a offensive capable two way d.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i thought daniil misyul is a converted forward. he might focuses on the d aspect of the game, but hopefully will end up as a offensive capable two way d.

Misyul has been a very solid defenseman from everything I've seen. His offensive game still has yet to really blossom, but he has a nice combination of skating, size/strength and puck skills, so there is certainly reason to hope he can build on a good natural skill set. More importantly, he has been very solid in his own end both for Lokomotiv of the KHL and in tournament play for Team Russia. His willingness to play physically and acuity in moving the puck out of the defensive zone are two things the Devils, at the NHL level, currently lack in any capacity. But we're going to need to be patient, because I don't see Misyul coming to North America for two to three seasons.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
@StevenToddIves did you watch new raymonds games?
I can agree Jarvis has the same or bigger impact in offensive zone, but an overall game - it`s a different universe. Mercer, Rossi ofcourse, Raymond and Amirov are much better players in 200-foot game. Jarvis is a great choice for the second ten. He's worth going up for. But the number seven pick? I'll get off at this stop.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’ll be happy with 1. Raymond, Rossi or Holtz. 2. Holloway, Zary or Perrault. 3. I want Guhle. Of course if one of Drysdale or Sanderson is available at our first pick that would change what I’ve posted above.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdj12784

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Greg Wyshynski is on Twitter pumping Askarov’s tires. In one reply he says, “I really like him. (I know they do too)” referring to the Devils.

I’m sure the Devils have just done their diligence on everyone, so I’m trying not to read too much into that in combination with Friedman’s tweet from the other day...but...

I certainly wouldn’t be over the moon with that pick at #7

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
@StevenToddIves

I'm wondering about you're opinion about this impossible scenario:

So we know Laf and Byfield are going to be gone by 7. Let's say Stutzle is also gone. Now let's say with 7, 18 and 20 that everyone else is available. What three players are you taking and why?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
@StevenToddIves

I'm wondering about you're opinion about this impossible scenario:

So we know Laf and Byfield are going to be gone by 7. Let's say Stutzle is also gone. Now let's say with 7, 18 and 20 that everyone else is available. What three players are you taking and why?

In order :
7. Sanderson/ Drysdale (I’m split 50/50). And I’m also very close to wanting Raymond / Rossi as much as one of the two D . All 4 are all so close that I change my mind almost let hourly lol.

18. ? Way too hard to know who will be there still
Askarov if he is there (doubtful) so Perrault then.

20. Take a chance on Lapierre. With three picks in the first round , I take a risk on what could be the 2-5th best player in the draft .

If Devils take Drysdale or Sanderson at 7 , the other two picks I hope they go forwards.

If the Devils take a forward , I hope it is either Raymond or Rossi .
I do not like Perfetti or Holtz at 7 . Not saying the later 2 are not good , I just don’t think they are good enough to take over Raymond or Rossi ...
Amd if they go forward at 7 , I’d want aD at 20 - Schneider / Guhle

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In order :
7. Sanderson/ Drysdale (I’m split 50/50). And I’m also very close to wanting Raymond / Rossi as much as one of the two D . All 4 are all so close that I change my mind almost let hourly lol.

18. ? Way too hard to know who will be there still
Askarov if he is there (doubtful) so Perrault then.

20. Take a chance on Lapierre. With three picks in the first round , I take a risk on what could be the 2-5th best player in the draft .

If Devils take Drysdale or Sanderson at 7 , the other two picks I hope they go forwards.

If the Devils take a forward , I hope it is either Raymond or Rossi .
I do not like Perfetti or Holtz at 7 . Not saying the later 2 are not good , I just don’t think they are good enough to take over Raymond or Rossi ...
Amd if they go forward at 7 , I’d want aD at 20 - Schneider / Guhle

Ah, that's not the question. Take out the "too hard to know who will be there part." Whoever you want will be there. Literally everyone but the three I mentioned in this scenario would be available at the three picks the Devils have.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Just look at his rankings then?

Well, yes, if you are 100% BPA. Which I am, but not everyone is. Regardless, not everyone has the same BPA list. I'm curious how you would actually draft. Would you stick to the BPA list? Do you take both D men? Do you use one of those picks on Askarov when everyone else is available?

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Well, yes, if you are 100% BPA. Which I am, but not everyone is. Regardless, not everyone has the same BPA list. I'm curious how you would actually draft. Would you stick to the BPA list? Do you take both D men? Do you use one of those picks on Askarov when everyone else is available?

Id probably pick the two defenders and Rossi. That said I’m not a scout and just rely on the little bit I’ve seen and what I’ve read. Interesting thought exercise.

Reactions: TheUnseenHand
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad