Prospect Info: 2020 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, Rounds 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would personally take Perfetti over Rossi - a natural winger who slows the game down and has a nice shot on top of it would fit better IMO

Edit: also Rossi’s skating isn’t high-level and, while neither is Perfetti’s, you lose some of Marco’s natural ability and style transferring him to win whereas you dont get that with Cole

Nico and Jack are the 1-2 punch for at least the next seven years. A guy like Perfetti who processes the game more closely to Jack’s playstyle could rack up points more easily IMO. A marner-like player but with worse skating and a better shot.

I also really like Perfetti and agree he might have a touch more offensive upside than Rossi, but we need to keep in mind that Rossi is immensely superior in terms of a complete game, and he might be the most NHL ready player in the draft outside of Lafreniere. As far as Rossi's skating goes, it's very good. Not elite, mind you, but people who classify his skating as a detriment are quite mistaken.

Ultimately, if the first 6 picks go anything like my scenario, I'd be thrilled with the Devils drafting Rossi, Raymond or Perfetti or even Jarvis. I think all four of those forwards are line-drivers and game breakers. But Rossi is my #4 overall prospect in 2020 for a litany of reasons. He's just a rare two-way force at center, his hockey IQ and compete level are both stratospheric, and he's a dynamic offensive talent.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sam Cosentino says that he thinks we should go for an organizational need with pick 18. A puck moving offensive defenseman. I could not disagree more and think making a reach, let alone a big reach at risk 18 for this type of a player would be a horrible way to destroy what should be a Home run of a draft.

There are no puck-moving offensive defensemen who are good enough to be drafted #18 or #20 in the 2020 draft except for Drysdale and Sanderson, and they'll both be gone by #7 overall. It's that simple. You don't draft Jeremie Poirier or Helge Grans over 30 forwards who are superior hockey players because they're the best things available to fill organizational needs.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He mentioned Poirier IIRC and I almost vomited lol

Poirier is a guy you're nervous drafting at #45. You've got maybe a 50% of a NHL regular in order to hope the 10% of his becoming an elite offensive defenseman all comes together. You don't take chances like that at #18 or #20 overall, you just don't. I have him going #43 to Florida, which is a good spot for him. Poirier is weird, he's like two players -- offensively he's just outstanding, but defensively he's atrocious. Can he improve his defense enough for an NHL coach to give him a regular shift? Will paying more attention to his own zone cost his offensive production, which is why you're drafting him in the first place? Does he have the compete level to play all 200 feet of ice? These are not the questions you want to be asking in the middle of the first round.

Reactions: jiboy and nugg

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
“He’s all bottom. That’s a strong bottom.”

Devils haven’t had a strong enough bottom since Jagr.
No but we’ve had a guy that is all top...

upload_2020-9-26_20-2-28.jpeg

Seriously how does he fit that thing into a helmet??

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
There are no puck-moving offensive defensemen who are good enough to be drafted #18 or #20 in the 2020 draft except for Drysdale and Sanderson, and they'll both be gone by #7 overall. It's that simple. You don't draft Jeremie Poirier or Helge Grans over 30 forwards who are superior hockey players because they're the best things available to fill organizational needs.

This was my thinking as well. I’m very much so a BPA guy and that’s why I’m totally fine with drafting 3 forwards with our 2020 1st rounders. Give us more “lottery tickets” towards potentially finding that stud forward who figures it all out and makes people wonder how he wasn’t picked in the top 5.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This was my thinking as well. I’m very much so a BPA guy and that’s why I’m totally fine with drafting 3 forwards with our 2020 1st rounders. Give us more “lottery tickets” towards potentially finding that stud forward who figures it all out and makes people wonder how he wasn’t picked in the top 5.

Poirier is -- if nothing else -- a lottery ticket. His offensive skills -- shooting, hands, puck-movement in the offensive zone -- are just dazzling. But we also need to keep in mind he's a turnover machine in the neutral zone and almost a non-entity in his own zone, especially against top offensive opposition. Does he have star upside as a 50-60 point defenseman? Yeah, and I can say he's probably one of just four guys in this draft who can say that, along with Drysdale, Sanderson and Grans. The difference is that Drysdale is a pretty good defender, Sanderson is an absolutely elite defender -- while Poirier and Grans are complete liabilities defensively. To me, that's the difference of a top 10 pick and a second or third rounder.

Reactions: nugg and Ripshot 43

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Sam Cosentino says that he thinks we should go for an organizational need with pick 18. A puck moving offensive defenseman. I could not disagree more and think making a reach, let alone a big reach at risk 18 for this type of a player would be a horrible way to destroy what should be a Home run of a draft.
If we don't get Drysdale at pick 7, then Helge Grans probably comes into consideration at pick 18 or 20.

I don't disagree with Cosentino. We have Ty Smith and Reilly Walsh and that's it with regards to offensive D prospects in NJ organization.

We have much better defensive D prospect depth, so I do want to get an offensive D in this draft.

But the one I really want is Drysdale.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Poirier is a guy you're nervous drafting at #45. You've got maybe a 50% of a NHL regular in order to hope the 10% of his becoming an elite offensive defenseman all comes together. You don't take chances like that at #18 or #20 overall, you just don't. I have him going #43 to Florida, which is a good spot for him. Poirier is weird, he's like two players -- offensively he's just outstanding, but defensively he's atrocious. Can he improve his defense enough for an NHL coach to give him a regular shift? Will paying more attention to his own zone cost his offensive production, which is why you're drafting him in the first place? Does he have the compete level to play all 200 feet of ice? These are not the questions you want to be asking in the middle of the first round.
My question is why don't teams move these guys to wing? If Poirier is as bad as you say defensively, wouldn't you think of moving him?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If we don't get Drysdale at pick 7, then Helge Grans probably comes into consideration at pick 18 or 20.

I don't disagree with Cosentino. We have Ty Smith and Reilly Walsh and that's it with regards to offensive D prospects in NJ organization.

We have much better defensive D prospect depth, so I do want to get an offensive D in this draft.

Sure prospect balance is important but not at the cost of passing up a higher rated guy on your board just to even the scale. Take that offensive minded D in another round then.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'd have a tough time endorsing Grans as high as #18 or #20, for the same reasons as Poirier. We're not talking about players who are average in their own zone, or even close to average. We're talking about players who are consistently responsible for a litany of scoring chances against their own team.

He's got solid offensive upside, and I'm not doubting that. Grans has great size and excellent skating. Though mistake prone, he can make high-end passes and dangle through the opposition. The shot is about average, but passable.

My question is -- why would you take the chance on his defensive game making remarkable improvements when there are better offensive defensemen available in the second and third rounds? I've watched Grans play for the Swedish national team, and offensively he's not even in the same league as Emil Andrae, who could be around in the 3rd round.

Ultimately, with Helge Grans you're not talking about a player with first pairing-type offensive talent like Jeremie Poirier. Though Grans is bigger and a bit faster, Poirier blows him away in terms of hands and vision and has one of the better shots in the draft. With Grans, you're crossing your fingers that his defense improves enough that he can become a 40-point, mid-pairing guy. So, an upside of a very good, mid-pairing defender. But this is not a chance you risk at #18 or #20 overall. I can see doing that for a kid with first-pairing upside, like Ryan Merkley a few years back. But like with Poirier, Grans has nowhere near Merkley's kind of skill.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I really don't know. There are like five defensemen in this draft who would be far better forwards. I'm not sure what the coaches are thinking at the lower levels sometimes.
Wasn't Helge Grans a forward before? I thought I read that he was a winger prior to moving to D recently or am I wrong?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'd love this if it happened, but I am starting to get a bad feeling about this. Like we are trading a pick, going to hate the return and reach on 7. I don't know why. Nothing to do with the Askarov at 7 rumors. Just getting a bad feeling...

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What Id like to see while being realistic, ignoring trades:

7 - Marco Rossi/Jake Sanderson
18 - John-Jason Peterka
20 - Justin Barron

7, Rossi has the 67s connection and is a two-way player with offense - that even on the wing is great to have (like a Marchand) and his size shouldnt matter due to his stockiness / Sanderson has the USNDP connection and is a clone of the exact types of defenseman we need. His control in his zone is very strong for his age, I like his smarts enough to think he can improve offensively, and I am sure Jack has had a lot to say about him.

18, Peterka is in the DEL at 18 and Ive read from decent DEL outlets that he hasn’t looked too out of place. Germany has been producing some great talents recently and I really like his playstyle and he has performed well in all big tournaments. A quick player with good smarts, good decision-making, and an eye for the open space. I think hed fit nicely along Nico specifically

20 - Barron is super mobile and I love the ability to have a 6’2” super fluid skater who can be brought up properly and really develop his defensive game. You cant teach a great flow and skill to your skating, its natural like Jack (not saying theyre anywhere similar, but thats my top-2 traits I care about in prospects along with smarts). Im surprised to see him so low on many lists but I do think his style meshes with the future of this league

Reactions: StevenToddIves

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Mine?!

Oh geez, guess its good Im not GM then lmfao

If you were talking about mine can I ask why? Who would you take? Sorry if you already listed your preferences, I didnt get a chance to read all the posts yet
Well, my ideal draft would be Sanderson/Drysdale, Mercer and Perreault but that's a pie in the sky type draft and not really all that high of odds to happen. My more realistic approach would be, assuming both dmen are off the board, Seth Jarvis at #7, Jacob Perreault at #18 and Ridly Greig at #20.

Bratt-Nico-Jarvis
Greig-Jack-Perreault

Top 6.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What Id like to see while being realistic, ignoring trades:

7 - Marco Rossi/Jake Sanderson
18 - John-Jason Peterka
20 - Justin Barron

7, Rossi has the 67s connection and is a two-way player with offense - that even on the wing is great to have (like a Marchand) and his size shouldnt matter due to his stockiness / Sanderson has the USNDP connection and is a clone of the exact types of defenseman we need. His control in his zone is very strong for his age, I like his smarts enough to think he can improve offensively, and I am sure Jack has had a lot to say about him.

18, Peterka is in the DEL at 18 and Ive read from decent DEL outlets that he hasn’t looked too out of place. Germany has been producing some great talents recently and I really like his playstyle and he has performed well in all big tournaments. A quick player with good smarts, good decision-making, and an eye for the open space. I think hed fit nicely along Nico specifically

20 - Barron is super mobile and I love the ability to have a 6’2” super fluid skater who can be brought up properly and really develop his defensive game. You cant teach a great flow and skill to your skating, its natural like Jack (not saying theyre anywhere similar, but thats my top-2 traits I care about in prospects along with smarts). Im surprised to see him so low on many lists but I do think his style meshes with the future of this league

This is a gutsy and unique list, so I applaud you on that.

My one note would be with everyone who has the "we need to draft defensemen because we need defensemen" mentality. Justin Barron -- whom I like and find to be quite talented -- is not a player you draft at #20 overall.

Quite simply, Barron did not have a good 2019-20 season. Sure, part of this was due to injuries but there was no real stretch of the seasons where even the biggest Halifax Mooseheads fan could say Barron was playing even close to expectations. Barron was coming off a very good draft-minus-2 season and an excellent Hlinka-Gretzky Tourney and there were high expectations for him. But not only did Barron not show improvement from the year before, there was possibly even some regression there.

Here's what you're getting with Justin Barron. He's a terrific skater and a big kid, which is impressive, but seems to be a running theme with "universally over-ranked defensemen". He's solid defensively, but we're not talking a Braden Schneider-like shut-down force. Barron is actually not physical at all, he relies more on his inherent speed advantage than his inherent size advantage. Barron has a good shot from the point, anticipates the play well, and is very difficult to beat in one-on-one battles. But this is really what you're getting, because Barron has shown no extraordinary puck skills or passing ability. I would call him "functional" in both respects.

So, what we have in Barron is a RD who is good but not great in his own zone, functional with the puck and can give you an unremarkable, efficient game. I would say he has a high floor as a 5/6 D because of the size and speed combined with his solid defensive play. But the upside is as a mid-pairing guy and -- coming off a very tough 2019-20 -- he's a long way from that.

Yes, I would draft Justin Barron. But not at #20. I just made the same argument about a similar RD in Helge Grans, and would say the same about Barron. There is just too much talent you'd be passing up to cross your fingers that Barron or Grans develop into their ultimate upside as a #3/#4 defenseman. I'd rather wait until the 3rd or 4th round and take a RD with similar upside like Faber or Niemela or Moore or Persson or Rafkin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripshot 43

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves What you think about Shakir Mukhamadullin? He have 5 points in 11 KHL games and he have played the last couple games in Ufas first line. Pretty well by 18 years old guy.

Mukhamadullin is one of the bigger mysteries of the draft. I'd say he's about 6'3 with good skates, and you're combining that with a kid who can hit. A buddy of mine recently asked me which defenseman in the 2020 draft had the best shot from the point and I answered Mukhamadullin. The kid can absolutely bomb the puck. The problem is, he almost never took a shot last year because he was practically glued to the bench.

I have some issues with how Russians develop their young talent. Mukhamadullin should have been dominating the MHL or competing in the VHL. But instead, he was playing two shifts per game -- and no I'm not exaggerating -- for Salavat Ufa of the KHL. How does that help his progression as a player? I don't know. I think it messed with his confidence. Coming into the 2019-20 season Mukhamadullin was in my top 20 overall, and he fell like a stone. In his draft-2 campaign I remember seeing him in a couple tournaments and thinking how impressive he was -- active, physical, always looking to unleash his rocket shot. By the end of the 2019-20 season, he looked tentative and played as if worried that he would make a mistake and never play another shift because of it.

I don't think of Mukhamadullin as a player I would consider in the first round anymore, simply because of the litany of questions I still have about him. I would say in terms of sheer upside, he might be the #3 option in the 2020 defense class after Drysdale and Sanderson. But I would say Mukhamadullin has significantly more upside than some of the "upside" D I have heard as potential first-rounders.

I'm going to take your advice and send some time today finding some of Mukhamadullin's more recent KHL film. Right now, I would say he's a great swing for the fences in the second round. If he fell to the Devils at #83, Mukhamadullin would be very intriguing to me.

Reactions: nugg and Forge

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'd be fine with Rossi and Peterka but Barron has had blood clot issues at a young age so I rather not risk that in the first round

Yeah, I'm fine taking a kid with major health issues in the later rounds, but it's not something I prefer to worry about in the top 20 picks.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Fitz's thoughts on the top players:
“They all intrigue me,” Fitzgerald said. "They’re all different. Raymond and Holtz, different. Rossi, different. Perfetti, different. Drysdale and Sanderson, different. They’re all just different players.

"Rossi’s 5-10, but 185 pounds. He’s all bottom. That’s a strong bottom. That’s unique in players. Sanderson … is he going to drive numbers? I don’t think so, but he’s going to play 25-plus minutes a night when he’s at his peak. Drysdale moves pucks extremely well. He’s an undersized defenseman, but he’s a right shot.

"Raymond, look at what he’s doing now in the (Sweden’s top) league. When he gets stronger, what’s he going to look like? He’s more of an East to West magician type of winger than Holtz.

“Cole Perfetti, he’s probably the smartest player in the draft. He’s not the fastest or biggest guy, but he’s smart and skilled. That’s the hard thing about scouting. But we’re getting a really good player at seven.”

NHL Draft 2020: Devils zero in on 12 prospects for 3 1st-rounders, but talking trade

Not saying much but it's something lol

If we end up getting rossi this needs to be a meme. A picture with fitz saying "thats a strong bottom" and a picture of Rossi taking a faceoff.

*cough*
continue with the prospect talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad