Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I wish I could find the 2006 offseason article where Allison publicly said he wouldn't sign for less than 3 million. At that point, you needed one hand to count the number of teams that had that that cap space to spend.

I forget where I read it, but I remember somebody saying they met Bob Miller at some STH event and they asked him his thoughts on Allison. Miller replied with something to the effect of "He was a strange guy. He wasn't a bad guy, but just weird."

And since we don't have a reason to talk about Jason Allison much nowadays, there's an interesting "what if" with his career. Mike Keenan was coach/GM of the Blues in 1995 and he agreed to trade their 1996 first round pick to Washington for Allison, but St. Louis ownership nixed the deal. St. Louis had given up their first rounders from 1991-95 as compensation for Scott Stevens (who would later be compensation for Brendan Shanahan), so they didn't like the idea of moving another top pick so soon. Mix in that the 1996 Draft was slated to be in St. Louis and ownership didn't want to host without having a first rounder.

Jason Allison would end up in Boston and had his best season in 2000-01 with Keenan as his coach. St. Louis drafted Marty Reasoner with that 1996 first round pick. It's interesting to think how Allison would have fared on those late 90's / early 00's Blues teams that couldn't quite get over the hump against Detroit/Colorado/Dallas.

I almost customized a Kings jersey with Allison but opted for Deadmarsh instead.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Carter says hi

From the beach, in his Christmas jammies? He was done as an NHL player 2 years ago, 10/18. And now, has had some core / abdominal surgery?
He was awesome and appreciate all he did....but just like what happens to all players, there comes a time when they no longer are capable to
play at the pro level. It's not exclusive to Jeff. All parts of his game are down at least 33% from pre-ankle / achilles surgery. How many players
from the 2003 draft class are still effective, NHL players? Brown...Getzlaf...Parise...and somewhat Corey Perry...may be missing 1 or 2, but this
is off memory. Gone are most of them, with only less than 5 still NHL players...and all of them, pretty far off their prime level abilities.

It's time for the youth to start taking jobs - this year. If Carter can beat all of them out and be a legit top 9 guy, that's great. I'm not against that.
What if he's not ready? LTIR may happen.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Walker and Roy are already there behind Doughty. Run those two into the ground. They're young enough that their bodies can take it, but also old enough that they may or may not be long term assets anyway.

They got Maatta to eat minutes. MacD can play his 12 or whatever. It's time to find out what Anderson and Claue are. Bjornfot is already knocking.

They have more than enough potential warm bodies. Bring in who, and play him where? They have 14 or 15 dmen signed. That's enough to fill both the Kings and Reign, assuming the AHL is going to even have a season.

Unless someone is hurt like Forbort last year, which opened a spot for Hutton, I'd guess Blake is done.

I personally don't have the confidence in Roy and more so walker to take any minutes from Drew. Yes they played well in there first year but most players regress in there 2nd years. We need someone with more offensive upside then Walker and Roy imo.
That is great that Matta can eat up some mins but that does nothing to lower Drews mins as he plays the left side. I believe its because he's playing to much to maintain his elite play. Clague has earned a shot on the defense imo Anderson and Bjornfot should split the time on 3rd pairing imo.

If we have that many d in the ahl we need to use them in a rotation to see if they can play in nhl If the rumors I'm hearing have any base to them we will have a expanded roster and practice squad so lots of room for all.

With all the team up against the cap I hope your wrong about Blake being done. As a King fan I would hope he is doing his job to always look for ways to improve our roster and with our cap space he can make some good moves if he is smart about it .

As for who I would suggest Dumba would be a good target and he could play 2nd right defense with Clague

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I personally don't have the confidence in Roy and more so walker to take any minutes from Drew. Yes they played well in there first year but most players regress in there 2nd years. We need someone with more offensive upside then Walker and Roy imo.
That is great that Matta can eat up some mins but that does nothing to lower Drews mins as he plays the left side. I believe its because he's playing to much to maintain his elite play. Clague has earned a shot on the defense imo Anderson and Bjornfot should split the time on 3rd pairing imo.

If we have that many d in the ahl we need to use them in a rotation to see if they can play in nhl If the rumors I'm hearing have any base to them we will have a expanded roster and practice squad so lots of room for all.

With all the team up against the cap I hope your wrong about Blake being done. As a King fan I would hope he is doing his job to always look for ways to improve our roster and with our cap space he can make some good moves if he is smart about it .

As for who I would suggest Dumba would be a good target and he could play 2nd right defense with Clague

Roy and Walker are entering their third NHL seasons and both played 18 minutes a game last season, if they can't play 20-22 in their prime to keep the wear on Drew's tires then they need to not be here anyway.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
From the beach, in his Christmas jammies? He was done as an NHL player 2 years ago, 10/18. And now, has had some core / abdominal surgery?
He was awesome and appreciate all he did....but just like what happens to all players, there comes a time when they no longer are capable to
play at the pro level. It's not exclusive to Jeff. All parts of his game are down at least 33% from pre-ankle / achilles surgery. How many players
from the 2003 draft class are still effective, NHL players? Brown...Getzlaf...Parise...and somewhat Corey Perry...may be missing 1 or 2, but this
is off memory. Gone are most of them, with only less than 5 still NHL players...and all of them, pretty far off their prime level abilities.

It's time for the youth to start taking jobs - this year. If Carter can beat all of them out and be a legit top 9 guy, that's great. I'm not against that.
What if he's not ready? LTIR may happen.
I think it's kinda incredible that Brown could end up being one of those players that hangs around a long time despite having a career of being a big hitter. He hasn't fallen off tremendously from his averages. Just keeps chugging along.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The problem with Dumba is you have to give actual assets to get him. And he's a UFA in 2023. And already makes $6m. The Kings are not ready for that move.

It's not about confidence in Walker and Roy. It's that they're already here. Throw them out there for a couple more minutes each, plant Doughty on the bench in those extra minutes. Doughty's minutes played issue, solved.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Ultimately, I don't really care about the ELC. I'd like the organization to make the decision based on what is best for his development, even if its not ideal for the cap.
I agree, you have to make sure he hits his ceiling... if it is ‘normal’ rules the OHL the length of the season means that it likely wouldn’t hurt to send him 9 games. However, the threat of non contact rules means that there is a good chance being in the OHL would in fact hurt his development. He was beginning to make good progress improving the aggressive part of his physical game and was starting to impose himself as he started to really understand how to use his size. So now going into a competitive but non contact environment, could easily have a detrimental impact on him hitting his upside and risks forming some bad habits. I don’t think a non contact OHL helps anyones prospects, including Kaliyev, but I think for where Byfield is in his development arc it’s a particular concern.

Every decision by Blake has to be based on him hitting his ceiling.

That all said is the non contact thing still on the table? When it first came out there were some mixed messages about it and whilst it’s become the perception on these boards

I’ve not seen anything formal confirming it.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
The problem with Dumba is you have to give actual assets to get him. And he's a UFA in 2023. And already makes $6m. The Kings are not ready for that move.

It's not about confidence in Walker and Roy. It's that they're already here. Throw them out there for a couple more minutes each, plant Doughty on the bench in those extra minutes. Doughty's minutes played issue, solved.
The kings have a ton of cap space right now with alot more coming off the books this summer with Kovy hit gone and Dions hit dropping. You also need to remember when Dumba becomes a free agent we would only have Kopitar and Drew signed so cap will not really be a issue imo.

Now think Minnesota will be looking to trade Dumba to open a roster spot for Calen Addison. They will need cap space to resign there own ufas and rfas They also need Center prospects so i think a offer of Roy Madden and Spence might be good enough to get it done.
Yeah it is about them because we need to lower drews mins on the ice or he will have nothing left when we are ready to contend its easy to say bench drew but when it comes down to will it happen no other wise it would have long ago :)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Versteeg does a weekly radio hit on the Fan 960 here, today he talked about how the non-playoff teams with 10 months off are really going to struggle out of the gate. he liked it to coming back from a long injury and said the biggest thing is adjusting the intensity. Talked about how that's why so many kids were playing in Europe and thinks they will start the season better then the vets.
Whole bunch of what a lot of people figured, but is more impactful coming from an ex-player imo

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The kings have a ton of cap space right now with alot more coming off the books this summer with Kovy hit gone and Dions hit dropping. You also need to remember when Dumba becomes a free agent we would only have Kopitar and Drew signed so cap will not really be a issue imo.

Now think Minnesota will be looking to trade Dumba to open a roster spot for Calen Addison. They will need cap space to resign there own ufas and rfas They also need Center prospects so i think a offer of Roy Madden and Spence might be good enough to get it done.
Yeah it is about them because we need to lower drews mins on the ice or he will have nothing left when we are ready to contend its easy to say bench drew but when it comes down to will it happen no other wise it would have long ago :)

If you're getting Dumba, you primarily do it to get him, not to make Doughty's life easier. They can make his life easier with the guys they already have.

And if coaches aren't going to lower Doughty's minutes, even though his minutes have gone down the last few years compared to the immediate post-Cup years, why would adding Dumba reduce the minutes? He's not some top 5 overall defenseman worthy of taking anything away from Doughty either.

I don't think you spend real assets for a 26 year old a couple years away from being a UFA, for a team that doesn't know its exact future core yet, and which apparently just finished the initial phase of rebuilding. They're not at that risk level yet.

No reason Walker and Roy can't absorb some more of Doughty's time. The team isn't expected to do anything this year. The Kings haven't been interested in spending additional money for a couple years now, and especially now with covid. Dumba is too big of an investment.

Token

May 15, 2019
Even tho this years draft doesn’t have a clear cut superstar franchise player leading the rankings, there are at least 5 defensemen on the board with 1D written all over them.

Doughty won his gold and cups already. Time for a replacement. Skate him 28 minutes each game, get them miles out of him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It sounded like Minnesota wanted a proven NHL center for Dumba rather than a center prospect. Nobody was willing to do that yet, so Guerin didn't rush into a deal. The other factor might be the Expansion Draft as Minnesota would probably protect 4F-4D with their current roster rather than the 7F-3D protection that most teams would use.

It'll be interesting if they really do use winger Marcus Johansson down the middle; I think Buffalo used him as a center for parts of last season to mixed results. They used their first two picks of the 2020 Draft on centers (Rossi/Khusnutdinov) and they have a Madden level prospect in Alex Khovanov (I'd prefer Madden if only on blood lines alone). And there are some who think Madden projects as a winger in the pros.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
How many players

All past their primes but as effective players? Brown, Getzlaf, Parise, Staal, Burns, Suter, Weber, Bergeron, Boyle, Pavelski, Halak. And then the could go either way depending on health/abilities Fluery, Crawford and Carter.

Reactions: YP44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad