Injury Report: 2020-21 Injury Thread

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's not even that we trust in Sawchenko that much, it's just that you need to give your starter a break every now and then. Reimer has never been a goalie who you can trust to start 60 games a year, as good as he is.

I agree that it's absolutely on the org to get more goaltending depth and to develop goalies better, but ultimately, we just don't have that right now, and running Reimer into the ground makes it so that now we have even less goaltending to rely on.

Bob's plan was never at any point to start Reimer 60 games this year or even get close to that number. Why are some people acting like Hill's injury isn't 100% of the reason Reimer started all of these games in a row? It's not even the longest streak of starts Reimer has had in his career and was broken up by a two week break.

This narrative has taken on a life of its own when the real story should be that this garbage team couldn't win any games even with Reimer posting a .916 SV% across his starts because there are maybe 5 NHL level players on the active roster.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Bob's plan was never at any point to start Reimer 60 games this year or even get close to that number. Why are some people acting like Hill's injury isn't 100% of the reason Reimer started all of these games in a row? It's not even the longest streak of starts Reimer has had in his career and was broken up by a two week break.

This narrative has taken on a life of its own when the real story should be that this garbage team couldn't win any games even with Reimer posting a .916 SV% across his starts because there are maybe 5 NHL level players on the active roster.
Of course Hill's injury had something to do with it, but now instead of having at least one NHL quality goalie, they have none.

I agree that this team isn't good even with Reimer, which is why it matters even less that Saw should get starts, but this coaching staff and org are all delusional.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Of course Hill's injury had something to do with it, but now instead of having at least one NHL quality goalie, they have none.

I agree that this team isn't good even with Reimer, which is why it matters even less that Saw should get starts, but this coaching staff and org are all delusional.

That's my whole point - the org is delusional. The coaching staff's job is to follow orders based on that delusion. As long as management believes they still have a chance to make the playoffs I don't think it's fair to blame Bob for starting Reimer every game instead of a literal fourth-string goalie.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
That's my whole point - the org is delusional. The coaching staff's job is to follow orders based on that delusion. As long as management believes they still have a chance to make the playoffs I don't think it's fair to blame Bob for starting Reimer every game instead of a literal fourth-string goalie.
That short-term overplaying of Reimer to try to accumulate wins led to Reimer getting injured, so now they are completely boned. Even Bob said himself that overplaying him probably led to him getting injured. Yes, the org trying to win didn't help that, but it's ultimately Bob's decision who to put out there, and he should know better than to run your #1 into the ground.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That short-term overplaying of Reimer to try to accumulate wins led to Reimer getting injured, so now they are completely boned. Even Bob said himself that overplaying him probably led to him getting injured. Yes, the org trying to win didn't help that, but it's ultimately Bob's decision who to put out there, and he should know better than to run your #1 into the ground.
If the organization ultimately doesn't trust Bob to make the right decisions then what purpose does he serve?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

It doesn't matter because, as you and others have correctly pointed out, they were already boned. They have been boned in terms of playoff odds since before Reimer's streak even began. Nothing is actually lost with Reimer's injury but Boughner was able to tell his players and management with a straight face that he was giving the team the best chance to win every game until now. A huge part of this is just optics which I agree is a stupid way for an org to be run but the blame for that doesn't lie with Boughner.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
What valid criticisms? That he's supposed to tell all the highly paid vets on the team with 30 games left that it's time to give up on the season so it doesn't matter if he starts an ECHL goalie over the team MVP? Just because it's the right move on NHL 22 doesn't mean it's a feasible move for a coach to make when he's dealing with human players and demands from management to stay in the playoff race as long as possible. If he started Reimer 13 games in a row with a healthy NHL backup available you might have a point but you just don't when Sawchenko was the only other option.

You're conflating my complaint with some strange notion that I'm advocating Bob submarine the dressing room with an open tank

Even if he's trying to win at all cost playing his starter every night is bad coaching

No goalie should play back to backs, skaters arguably shouldn't even play back to backs, it's horrible for a goalie's body and increases the risk of injury by an order of magnitude

You can try to win and still play a less than ideal starter to preserve your workhorse, and Bob's refusal to do so is going to result in more losses now that his options are Hill and Sawchenko

There is no reasonable defense for this goaltending deployment whether you're in favor of going for it or tanking, it's an objectively bad decision

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You're conflating my complaint with some strange notion that I'm advocating Bob submarine the dressing room with an open tank

Even if he's trying to win at all cost playing his starter every night is bad coaching

No goalie should play back to backs, skaters arguably shouldn't even play back to backs, it's horrible for a goalie's body and increases the risk of injury by an order of magnitude

You can try to win and still play a less than ideal starter to preserve your workhorse, and Bob's refusal to do so is going to result in more losses now that his options are Hill and Sawchenko

There is no reasonable defense for this goaltending deployment whether you're in favor of going for it or tanking, it's an objectively bad decision

They're neither going for it nor tanking. Until Hertl is traded they are trying to make it seem to the veteran players and fans that they are still going for it when they know the season is over. When you think about it from their warped perspective the usage of Reimer starts to make some sense.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They're neither going for it nor tanking. Until Hertl is traded they are trying to make it seem to the veteran players and fans that they are still going for it when they know the season is over. When you think about it from their warped perspective the usage of Reimer starts to make some sense.

Even if they're running some covert tank, but PR playoff push like you seem to imply it still doesn't make overusing Reimer make sense because now he isn't a viable trade asset

It will be even worse if this injury slows him down next year because he could be a really valuable deadline rental next season

There is no way to spin the coach killing Reimer as not being a failure, Bob f***ed up

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Even if they're running some covert tank, but PR playoff push like you seem to imply it still doesn't make overusing Reimer make sense because now he isn't a viable trade asset

It will be even worse if this injury slows him down next year because he could be a really valuable deadline rental next season

There is no way to spin the coach killing Reimer as not being a failure, Bob f***ed up

Reimer's trade value is like a 3rd round pick and there's no way they would have moved him this year. Who gives a shit?

jarr92

May 7, 2013

Joe Will said himself that management decisions are being made by a group of Will, DWjr, Burke, and BB. I don't doubt that management is delusional, but I'd bet BB is included in that group, especially without DW. The constant bashing of DW and DWjr along with the praise of BB and Tim Burke is truly fascinating.

It's obvious that ownership needs to make drastic changes throughout the entire organization, but clearly that isn't happening. It seems like it would make more sense to bash Hasso as he is the only person with power to make changes, but what do I know :laugh:

Just because it's the right move on NHL 22 doesn't mean it's a feasible move for a coach to make when he's dealing with human players

Playing a backup goalie occasionally only makes sense in a video game? Uuuh.. what?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Joe Will said himself that management decisions are being made by a group of Will, DWjr, Burke, and BB. I don't doubt that management is delusional, but I'd bet BB is included in that group, especially without DW. The constant bashing of DW and DWjr along with the praise of BB and Tim Burke is truly fascinating.

It's obvious that ownership needs to make drastic changes throughout the entire organization, but clearly that isn't happening. It seems like it would make more sense to bash Hasso as he is the only person with power to make changes, but what do I know :laugh:

Playing a backup goalie occasionally only makes sense in a video game? Uuuh.. what?

How is bashing people higher on the org chart instead of the guys who take orders from those people fascinating? Those are the people who deserve to be bashed and fired. Boughner's decisions are not why the Sharks are losing games.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
How is bashing people higher on the org chart instead of the guys who take orders from those people fascinating? Those are the people who deserve to be bashed and fired. Boughner's decisions are not why the Sharks are losing games.

The front office has been bad and the coaching has been bad, it's not one or the other

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The front office has been bad and the coaching has been bad, it's not one or the other

Every single player on the roster has performed as good or better than they could have reasonably been expected to this season. Really the only exceptions are Labanc and Knyzhov who have been injured for the majority of the year. This is not remotely a coaching issue it's 100% on the front office.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Every single player on the roster has performed as good or better than they could have reasonably been expected to this season. Really the only exceptions are Labanc and Knyzhov who have been injured for the majority of the year. This is not remotely a coaching issue it's 100% on the front office.

Brent Burns and Logan Couture beg to differ, but once again, this is not an either/or situation

The front office has been bad

The coaching staff has been bad

Some of the players have been even worse than they should

Everything sucks, there is so reason to defend the coaching staff, they've done a terrible job at everything other than running the penalty kill

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Brent Burns and Logan Couture beg to differ, but once again, this is not an either/or situation

The front office has been bad

The coaching staff has been bad

Some of the players have been even worse than they should

Everything sucks, there is so reason to defend the coaching staff, they've done a terrible job at everything other than running the penalty kill

Burns and Couture are in their mid 30s and having significantly better seasons than they did last year on pace for 60+ points each. They are objectively performing at a higher level than could have been reasonably expected.

The coaching staff has squeezed every last drop of performance out of this team. The fact that they are still only on pace for 82 standings points should mean the front office is cleaned out as soon as the season ends. The next GM can make a decision on Bob and his staff.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Dude, I’m posting this as the last time I’m ever even going to read one of your posts…just go away!

No problem. Before I go do you mind forwarding me the medical report proving Reimer's injury was a direct result of him playing too much?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The coaching staff has squeezed every last drop of performance out of this team. The fact that they are still only on pace for 82 standings points should mean the front office is cleaned out as soon as the season ends. The next GM can make a decision on Bob and his staff.

They definitely haven't. Decisions like playing Gregor in OT, sitting Merkley without another defenseman who can make a first pass, having a terrible PP structure, are all coaching decisions and deployment that cost this team points in the standings. Maybe that's a good thing, since this team certainly isn't good enough to legit contend, but they are certainly a better team than their record.

Look at the Rangers. What are the Rangers without their PP and goalie? Reimer is certainly no Sheshterkin, but he's kept the Sharks in games that they could have won if they had a reason powerplay. Gallant and his staff have designed an effective powerplay and leave them on the ice for almost the full two mins. Bob and co.'s PP1 sucks and they pull them after 45 seconds.

Point is, for all the replacement level players the Sharks have populating their roster, the fact that they have a goalie who is giving them a chance to win every night but can't take advantage of that despite having multiple star offensive players speaks to the coaching more than it does to the roster.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
They definitely haven't. Decisions like playing Gregor in OT, sitting Merkley without another defenseman who can make a first pass, having a terrible PP structure, are all coaching decisions and deployment that cost this team points in the standings. Maybe that's a good thing, since this team certainly isn't good enough to legit contend, but they are certainly a better team than their record.

Look at the Rangers. What are the Rangers without their PP and goalie? Reimer is certainly no Sheshterkin, but he's kept the Sharks in games that they could have won if they had a reason powerplay. Gallant and his staff have designed an effective powerplay and leave them on the ice for almost the full two mins. Bob and co.'s PP1 sucks and they pull them after 45 seconds.

Point is, for all the replacement level players the Sharks have populating their roster, the fact that they have a goalie who is giving them a chance to win every night but can't take advantage of that despite having multiple star offensive players speaks to the coaching more than it does to the roster.

The Rangers have Fox and Panarin driving play for 40+ minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad