Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Matvey Petrov and the Battalion host Sudbury at Noon, Xavier Bougeault and the Cataractes are in Moncton at 1 PM, Maximus Wanner and the Warriors host Lethbridge at 3 PM and Ty Tullio and the Generals are at home against Ottawa at 4 PM.

Maximus Winner would be the perfect handle for a hockey player.

Reactions: oilers'72

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Crazy that the Oilers have two prospects that are goal per game 15 and 10 games into their season with Petrov being the "disappointment" of the group with 11 in 15.

For you World Junior selection gurus, Bourgault had to be a lock for Team Canada, right? What do you think of Savoie's chances?
I also wonder what Team Russia thinks of Petrov. They don't have the depth of Canada so I'd like to think that he has a shot. Could be a real fun WJC from an Oiler fan perspective.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Crazy that the Oilers have two prospects that are goal per game 15 and 10 games into their season with Petrov being the "disappointment" of the group with 11 in 15.

For you World Junior selection gurus, Bourgault had to be a lock for Team Canada, right? What do you think of Savoie's chances?
I also wonder what Team Russia thinks of Petrov. They don't have the depth of Canada so I'd like to think that he has a shot. Could be a real fun WJC from an Oiler fan perspective.

Meanwhile Ty Tullio is leading the OHL in assists with 17 , but is having trouble lighting the lamp (only 4 goals) despite being 3rd in the OHL with 64 shots on goal (6.25 SH%).

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Theres people still projecting Bourgault off the roster, I think it is a very deep forward group this year. I also think they’re probably wrong at this point. I think this WJC team is a gold medal winning group. I’d put money on it—- does Vegas take bets on WJC?

Reactions: nabob

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB

I think Petrov and Bourgault are on the outside looking in. For X it will depend on who’s released to Canada. We don’t know if any of Sillinger, Jarvis, Perfetti and Byfield will be made available. As for Petrov, the Russians tend to look down on kids that jump the pond. He does have good ties to the Russian international program, but they lean on older players and guys in the Russian ranks. With that said, this isn’t a deep Russian squad. His talent may be undeniable. He will be eligible next year as well. If I were putting odds on the two. I’d say both are 50/50

Tullio and Savoie I’d say are long shots. Tullio was at the summer camp and could fill an energy role for Canada and while Savoie is terrorizing the college ranks he’s top six or bust and that will limit him. I just hope he gets an invite.

The only lock is Luca Munzenberger on Germany. I’ve been impressed with the small glimpses I’ve seen with UVM and I’m interested to get a deeper look. That German squad could be dynamite. Peterka and Reichel are both eligible, both playing great at the AHL level. If they go, in addition or Florian Elias, the Germans could be a tough out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Theres people still projecting Bourgault off the roster, I think it is a very deep forward group this year. I also think they’re probably wrong at this point. I think this WJC team is a gold medal winning group. I’d put money on it—- does Vegas take bets on WJC?

I could go hunting but...

I thought the "knock" on Borg was that he might not have high end talent? That his overall game and competitiveness was very good?

Aka if a guy is considered already a solid 2 way player and is now demonstrating extremely high end skill... How could he be kept off team Canada?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Decided to tune into the North Bay game. Get another look at Petrov

Troops lead 1-0 after 1. Petrov with the goal. Shots 15-4 for NB. Petrov leading the way with 4

He looked great. Such a dangerous player and constantly in good spots. Drew an early penalty with speed to the outside. Midway through the period scored on a bullet of a shot. Had a few other good chances including a really nice tip after winning a battle down low. Tried the Michigan goal and almost pulled it off. He was all over the ice. Only negative was a offensive zone penalty that killed some momentum. It came on a wicked forcheck. Got a little too excited. Great period for Petro

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I don't watch our prospect's games, only the occasional highlights. Would it be fair to say...
  • Holloway is a potential top 6 W or 3C
  • Bourgault is a potential top 6 complimentary W or 3C
  • Savoie is top 6 or bust
  • Petrov is top 6 or bust
It's hard to imagine there being room on LW, but I can see Holloway or Bourgault challenging Yamo for 2RW. I also think that Holloway as 3C between Kassian and Foegle is a match made in heaven. That'd be a fast, big, and skilled 3rd line.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Petrov continuing his strong play in the second. Made some really sweet passes. Not just a shooter. He has nice chemistry with Brandon Coe (SJS). Also we’ve talked about it before, but he plays a very gritty NA style game. Grinds down low, gets involved physically. Great to see. This has been a nasty game and he hasn’t shied away one bit

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The Battalion win 4-0. Dominated every aspect of this game, outshooting the Wolves 41-14.

Quiet 3rd for Petrov, but this game was over early in the period. Second viewing for me. Impressed again. That 1st period he was absolutely dominant.

The covid year was bound to have some guys going much lower/higher than they should. I’m hoping that’s the case with Petrov. Seems wild to me that we got him in round 6

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Battalion win 4-0. Dominated every aspect of this game, outshooting the Wolves 41-14.

Quiet 3rd for Petrov, but this game was over early in the period. Second viewing for me. Impressed again. That 1st period he was absolutely dominant.

The covid year was bound to have some guys going much lower/higher than they should. I’m hoping that’s the case with Petrov. Seems wild to me that we got him in round 6
He came over prepared to play in this league.

The thing about his game that I see compared to Maksimov, who had the obvious size advantage on many players, is that Petrov doesn't get overzealous in terms of physicality. That's what got Maksimov into penalty trouble frequently.

There were a number of one-on-one battles with Riley Stillman that he came out of on top simply by outskating him and using inside body position to separate him from the puck. That's a smart play against a player who went in the first round of the same draft.

Offensively he's composed with the puck. He's confident enough to try riskier passes and his shot just gives him a ton of options as a PPQB. His chemistry with Ty Nelson is also apparent.

What are your opinions of Nelson and Mathurin?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Petrov and Bourgault are on the outside looking in. For X it will depend on who’s released to Canada. We don’t know if any of Sillinger, Jarvis, Perfetti and Byfield will be made available. As for Petrov, the Russians tend to look down on kids that jump the pond. He does have good ties to the Russian international program, but they lean on older players and guys in the Russian ranks. With that said, this isn’t a deep Russian squad. His talent may be undeniable. He will be eligible next year as well. If I were putting odds on the two. I’d say both are 50/50

Tullio and Savoie I’d say are long shots. Tullio was at the summer camp and could fill an energy role for Canada and while Savoie is terrorizing the college ranks he’s top six or bust and that will limit him. I just hope he gets an invite.

The only lock is Luca Munzenberger on Germany. I’ve been impressed with the small glimpses I’ve seen with UVM and I’m interested to get a deeper look. That German squad could be dynamite. Peterka and Reichel are both eligible, both playing great at the AHL level. If they go, in addition or Florian Elias, the Germans could be a tough out.

Thanks.
I know that Team Canada is stacked but Bourgault's eye opening season has to have gained him some traction for at least being seriously considered for the roster I'd think. This is a 1st round pick, it's not like there isn't some pedigree here.

I figured that Savoie was a longshot, Team Canada doesn't seem to be a big fan of one dimensional goal scorers.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I don't watch our prospect's games, only the occasional highlights. Would it be fair to say...
  • Holloway is a potential top 6 W or 3C
  • Bourgault is a potential top 6 complimentary W or 3C
  • Savoie is top 6 or bust
  • Petrov is top 6 or bust
It's hard to imagine there being room on LW, but I can see Holloway or Bourgault challenging Yamo for 2RW. I also think that Holloway as 3C between Kassian and Foegle is a match made in heaven. That'd be a fast, big, and skilled 3rd line.

What about Tulio? Probably could play bottom 6 if he doesn't become top6?

Reactions: oilers'72

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What are your opinions of Nelson and Mathurin?

I think Nelson will be an extremely polarizing prospect. Some players are tough to scout, you really need to focus on them. That’s not the case with Nelson. He makes you aware of his game good and bad every time you watch.

He’s not tall, but built like a fire hydrant. Throws huge hits. Skates like the wind. Skilled. Confident. He’s all over the ice though. Lacks some structure. He gets away with things that he wouldn’t get away with at the next level. With that said you can’t teach the positives in his game, you can tell he’s a high-end athlete. He had one play today where he escaped pressure from a forcheck with a brilliant fake then went coast to coast for a chance. Wasn’t able to finish. I think he has so much talent, but sometimes lacks polish and awareness.

He has some Cale Makar in his game, some Ryan Ellis. Obviously lofty comparisons, but I don’t think he’s as smart as either and not as composed. He’s a major boom/bust type, but the ceiling is high. Fun player to watch.

As for Mathurin, he’s a lot more subtle. The combination of size, skating and IQ is interesting. He makes good decisions and can break the cycle. When he grows into his frame he’ll only get better. He’s the type of modern D that teams covet and I think his stock will rise. He’s not dynamic and likely won’t get a ton of buzz, but could be a solid mid round pick. Reminds in style to a guy like Kaiden Ghule. Obviously doesn’t have his pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad