Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah it's definitely a niche event. I didn't go in 2013, but that one was a little bit different since it was all in one day. That might not have been the most fun marathon session. Part of the amusement for me is loitering after days 1 and 2, usually some decent opportunities to get pictures/autographs with certain players/execs.

It's too bad, my old college roommate lives in Seattle but works out of Vancouver Monday-Thursday. Since I'm still shameless, I thought I might have free housing lined up but he'll be headed down to Seattle by the time I'd get to Vancouver. I've been in a keeper league since 1999 with some assorted folks in HF, a few of them live near Vancouver so they want to meet up. One of the guys in the league picked me up from the airport and housed me for the 2011 Draft in Minnesota.

If the Devils weren't picking in the top 2, I think this would have been an easy pass for me.

Probably post-first round is a niche event lol

I do wonder why they changed it for the year at the Rock (having it all in one day), was it an anti-Newark thing? :sarcasm: I know I only stayed for the high 2 which I believe was Santini then peaced out since we didn't have another pick till the fourth round. Only the diehards saw the Jeremy Brodeur thing and that was a niche moment.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
sheesh, seeing kaakko tear it up over there makes him tough to pass on. if he was a center i think he would be the guy i wanted hands down probably.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably post-first round is a niche event lol

I do wonder why they changed it for the year at the Rock (having it all in one day), was it an anti-Newark thing? :sarcasm: I know I only stayed for the high 2 which I believe was Santini then peaced out since we didn't have another pick till the fourth round. Only the diehards saw the Jeremy Brodeur thing and that was a niche moment.

I think the 2012 lockout screwed up the timing of it. SCF was done on June 24th (June 11th and June 13th the year before/after) with a hypothetical game 7 on June 26th, so they had to cram the draft in before free agency on July 1st. But not sure why they opted to have it all on one day (a Sunday no less) rather than spacing it out over a couple days. Forget if there was a building conflict or something.

The nice thing about Day 2 is that almost nobody attends, so you could have a front row seat and overhear discussions. Definitely nice having a break between days, I can't imagine trying to sit through all seven rounds in one day. Extra benefit with it being on the West Coast would be that the 1st round would be over by 8pm, so I'd still have time to do something that night. When I went to the 2010 Draft in LA, my buddy and I went to a nearby steakhouse for dinner after the first round concluded. Shea Weber was in the group behind us in line, and later Charlie Coyle and his family were seated at the table next to us.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think the 2012 lockout screwed up the timing of it. SCF was done on June 24th (June 11th and June 13th the year before/after) with a hypothetical game 7 on June 26th, so they had to cram the draft in before free agency on July 1st. But not sure why they opted to have it all on one day (a Sunday no less) rather than spacing it out over a couple days. Forget if there was a building conflict or something.

The nice thing about Day 2 is that almost nobody attends, so you could have a front row seat and overhear discussions. Definitely nice having a break between days, I can't imagine trying to sit through all seven rounds in one day. Extra benefit with it being on the West Coast would be that the 1st round would be over by 8pm, so I'd still have time to do something that night. When I went to the 2010 Draft in LA, my buddy and I went to a nearby steakhouse for dinner after the first round concluded. Shea Weber was in the group behind us in line, and later Charlie Coyle and his family were seated at the table next to us.

I don't think there was a building conflict - though perhaps there was - but a 2 day draft off a 7 game Stanley Cup would've basically meant wrapping the Cup on June 26th and then having to fit in the parade between the draft on the 29th. There's already so much to do for front offices after the Stanley Cup is over - buyouts, RFA qualification, etc. - that lockout really jammed everything into one week.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
An elaborate blog post about Kakko and Hughes in Finnish by a Finnish hockey journalist who has been living in Edmonton since 1970s. Google translated below.

https://www.nordicbet.com/fi/blogi/...hBZHC1d2cnYSPVc6CfkgCW0yi8e6UVv_LmS_sqpp1Si8Y

JACK OR CABIN? New Jersey Devils won the Draftlotto and booked first in Vancouver for a five-week and one-day NHL Draft. GM Ray Shero is facing a really exciting decision. (Picture: TT) "AS A SMALL VERSION OF MCDAVID…" A couple of days ago, 18 years old, born in Orlando, Florida, Jack Hughes, who spent most of his boyhood in Toronto, Canada, was born to play ice hockey. Father Jim Hughes played as a defender of American university discipline at Providence College and became a coach after a modest professional career. Mother Ellen also played a university disc and represented the US in the Women's World Championships in 1992. Jim was an assistant coach at IHL's Orlando Solar Bears when Jack was born on May 14, 2001. Only 12 days later, Jack was shot sitting in his first championship cup when Solar Bears won the Turner Cup. The Hughes family traveled through the Boston Bruins organization to Toronto in 2006. John Ferguson Jr., who played at the same Providence University Team, hired Jim Toronto Marlies as an assistant coach for the AHL team. Toronto is the world's largest ice hockey factory, and Jim Hughes's career in Maple Leaf's organization continued with the title "Director of Player Personnel", which means he was the boss of the club until 2015.

Jack and his two brothers spent nearly ten years in Toronto (older brother Quinn has already played a very skillful pile of packs in Vancouver Canucks, younger brother Luke playing as a defender at NTDP). Jack attempted to enter the Ontario Junior League as a minor with the so-called "Exceptional Player" status, but Hockey Canada did not give this very rare permission (Connor McDavid, John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Sean Day so far are the only OHL players who have been admitted to the league as minors). Later, Jack's way, like the best American talent, led the American National Development Program to the team. Nowadays, there are so many NHL players through the NTDP in Michigan that not all names can be listed. Jack broke records in NTDP for all the American stars who played before him. Previously, the record-breaking record of the entire NTDP career in the name of Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane and Clayton Keller remained in history. Hughes finally made 197 points in the program. Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel also left behind.

SMALL NOT TO PLAY NHL scouts often look at parents when they consider the size of the prospectus. Jack Hughes is exactly the same size as Dad Jim's best day - about 178 cent and 75 pounds. "For many nights, he's like a smaller version of McDavid," said the anonymous NHL scout for The Hockey News (if they want to hear such information from the talent scouts, they will always remain anonymous). Jack has also been told that if you can imagine Patrick Kane playing in the middle, that is Jack Hughes. Hughes is not considered a once-a-generation superstar, like some Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid. But he is still expected to have a top-level NHL player and a tie-in. Jack Hughes's skating, conception and skills are all at the top level. Only the shot does not reach the top of the top players. Hughes is able to skate really fast and process the game quickly in a fast pace. In the NHL, the size of the players is said to be less and less. Now there is room for really skilled, smaller players. Vancouver Canucks' Venerable Elias Pettersson has arrived at the league just in time, for example.

In the name of the truth, of course, we have to admit that the Stanley Cup team, for example, of the ruling master Washington Capitals was really big. But still, the scouts of many NHL clubs now regret not having taken the 170-cent Alex DeBrincat earlier in the summer 2016 NHL Draft. The Chicago Blackhawks only booked a skilful pier on 39 shifts on the second day of Draft. If the reservation was to be held again today, the 128-point scorer at the NHL would surely be among the top six or eight.

The only reason for DeBrincat's second round was his small size. The NHL has seen small men in the past, such as Theoren Fleury, Martin St. Louis, or Steve Sullivan, but none of them was reserved among the top names in Draft. They got to clear their way to the first force later. The old NHL truth that a big player has to prove he can't play and the smaller one he can, was still true. Nowadays, we are able to admire the skills of small-sized pendants such as Johnny Gaudreau, Brayden Point, Tyler Johnson and DeBrincat. Jack Hughesia has been held as the number one reserve for the NHL Draft in the summer of 2019 for about two years. Until the very last days. Some experts still consider Jack the number one. For example, the leading scout of the TSN, the former NHL manager and the Prospekt expert, Craig Button, sees Hughesia Draft as the best player in all skills, except for the shot. Speaking about the issue at Edmonton's sports radio, Button believes Jack Hughes is much better than any other five-week player. The absolute number one. But after the World Championships in Vancouver, and especially during the World Championships in Slovakia, the challenger has been a challenger from Turku.

FOOT IN COUNTRY KAVER .."
Finnish Turku is quite far from the prairie. So I decided to ask Kaapo Kako about his teammate. Originally launched in Turku, Weiko, Jonne Virtanen has played 542 matches in the SM league. Virtanen trains in the same fitness coach guru Hannu Rautala's group, where Kaapo Kakko was able to train with professionals last summer.

"What kind of dude is this Kaapo?", I decided to ask Monster.

"Feet in the ground guy," began an analysis of the Turku dialect. "Mature to your age. You know you're not good, but not at all arrogant. He loves to f***," replied Virtanen.

All ice hockey players love to hang out. Some may be more than others.
"That's right," said Jonne. "It happened last winter we had free friends to spend 4 hours outside," TPS's 197-cent striker laughed.

There it came. One thing seems to combine the best. Inventa la Partita. Finding your own game in your own time. Inventa la Partita.

"And good hell is good to play. During Mun's ni is Barkovi and Kakko ku rises to his own level as a tiny person. Above is only the same age as Granlundii or Ranta."

U-20
Vancouver World Championships in Vancouver and Vancouver, Victoria, at the turn of the year, began to change the debate on the first-ever title of the NHL Draft.

The 17-year-old Kaapo Kakko played well in principle in the world's best 19-year-old tournament. In the finale against the US, he made the winning goal just under two minutes before the end. The coach threw # 24 on the ice at the end of the ice when the Little Lions protected their lead. This was not missed by many.

A few NHL scouts who have written about this have admitted that their clubs would be the first to receive Kaapo if there was such a chance. But these teams won't be able to book first as a really stunning player deal.
This is always the case with the NHL reservation when all 31 GMs are in the same state. In the same tray, literally.

I think that Kaapo speaks of being already in TPS's shirt and still in the Slovak World Championships to prove he can play with men and shine in it. He scored 22 goals and 38 points in 45 league games. He broke the scores of under 18-year-olds in the name of Alexander Barkov (21). Such a willingness to play as a professional at a very young age is extremely rare.

Cake can already be called NHL-ready on the basis of presentations. He is 186 centimeters and 90 kilos. Strong corners, and good to defend. Creative with a reel, and a good scorer. At the corners, it is impossible for him to get off the reel.

Comparisons of the same age TPS-grown Mikko Rantanen are suitable. Rantanen started in the quadruple chain of the Turks during his reservation period, while Kakko was once again one of the best teams in the series.

Reactions: thethinglonger

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Continuing above:

Rantanenki was a tough opponent at the corner, but Kakko was a lot ahead of Ranta of the same age last year. Hard balance, big croup, whistling like a small player, and really lightning fast hands.

Can be said Kaapo Kakon in his game resembles Ranta, but maybe even more Auston Matthews. In the same age comparison, Kakko could play better in the league than Patrik Laine, Mikko Rantanen or Aleksander Barkov once played. This is almost a scary idea.

A goal against Canada in the World Championships, where Sabers Brandon Montour left behind and Kakko drifted smoothly into goalkeeper Matt Murray, was noticed everywhere.

In the US, the World Championships are hardly seen, but in Canada, yes. And thanks to the internet, supporters of New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers were sure to see Kaka's paintings.

RAY
The New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero has a really interesting decision ahead.

Jack Hughes, who has been ranked number one for a couple of years now, or Kaapo Kakko from Finland. Ray has seen both players more than once - like his talent scorer - but at least not yet agrees to reveal his cards.

This is a really interesting headline as NHL-Draft approaches.

A story of the same kind as in 2010, when Edmonton Oilers had to decide between Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin. Hall was the left dock, and Seguin's centre, but the oil ended up at the dock. Generally, a center-striker is considered a more valuable player than a dock.

Nail Yakupov was the last one to be ranked first in 2012. Before that, Patrick Kane in 2007 and Alexander Ovechk in 2004 were docks. All the other ones have been squads or defenders.

Kaapo Kako can become NHL's first Finnish prize in Vancouver evening on June 21st.

If Devils decides otherwise, the New York Rangers will afford another. Getting into Broadway does not sound like a bad alternative for the player. Original Six Society for Reconstruction.

Very interesting situation. Some years ago, following the 18-year-old World Championships, some of the insiders who followed precisely the Race Wars, said Kaapo Kakko could still be the number one in this summer's Draft. And that he would play in the 2019 men's World Cup.

Jack Hughes was number one in the whole summer, autumn and early winter, as most of the new continent's scouts had not yet had the chance to see Kakko live.

Then the minds began to change.

Future battles over the domination of the Hudson River will begin here waiting for you.

Here Jouni Nieminen, Edmonton
[email protected]

Might be occasionally gibberish, dont have atm time to review the translation, but perhaps readable. At least its a lenghty and well-written article (in Finnish :laugh: )

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Not sure where this post should go, but with Yegor Rykov reportedly signing an ELC with the Rangers, that means that all 9 players the Devils selected in the 2016 NHL Draft have now been signed to ELC's. How crazy is that? I trust Paul Castron.
Makes me super excited to see if we actually keep all of our second rounders. I'm kind of hoping we do just to see what kind of haul we'll come away with from the draft. I'd be very interested in using this draft to restock the cupboard as it were and within the next few years empty the cupboard of guys like Queenville/Spears/etc who aren't likely ever gonna stick in the NHL (for us anyway?) and see some nice young pieces added. Next year I'd like to see us start trying to wheel and deal to try and grab some vets for picks, but I'd rather keep them this year.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Thoughts on nabbing Kokkonen with our first second round pick? I know that he's not as offensively gifted as some, but I really like his all around game and I have a thing for draft year guys playing well in Liiga. He's a guy that I feel like may not need much seasoning and could be fast tracked to come over and slide into the top 6 after a year of seasoning. I know that he's another lefty, but I think he'd be a really good pairing for someone like Severson in the future given he's a little more responsible and mature on the back end already.

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
Thoughts on nabbing Kokkonen with our first second round pick? I know that he's not as offensively gifted as some, but I really like his all around game and I have a thing for draft year guys playing well in Liiga. He's a guy that I feel like may not need much seasoning and could be fast tracked to come over and slide into the top 6 after a year of seasoning. I know that he's another lefty, but I think he'd be a really good pairing for someone like Severson in the future given he's a little more responsible and mature on the back end already.
Wouldn’t be too unhappy, however I suspect (and hope) that a better prospect falls out of the first round to us there.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
So what are the general thoughts on later rounds picks? Anyone have a preference on how they are utilized? Just curious if people like over agers performing okay I'm higher leagues, or would rather go young and toolsy in lower leagues?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
"What are your odds for the New Jersey Devils taking Kaapo Kakko first overall?

The idea of Kakko being a legitimate threat to steal Jack Hughes’ No. 1 overall draft status is nothing like the faux, clickbaity chatter in 2016 touting Patrik Laine as a potential first-overall pick over Auston Matthews. The talk is for real this time. Jack Hughes projects as a franchise-changing player – think Patrick Kane, but as a center – yet so does Kakko.

Working on a story about Kakko, which you can find here, for our 2019 Draft Preview magazine, I spoke with his two most recent coaches, Jussi Ahokas from the 2019 gold-medallist Finnish world-junior squad and Kalle Kaskinen, coach of TPS, Kakko’s Finnish pro club team. You always expect coaches to gush about their own prospects, but their reverence for Kakko went beyond the norm.

“He’s a better skater than Mikko Rantanen at that age, I have to say,” Ahokas said. “I’ve seen them both at that age, and he’s actually a much better skater than Mikko was. They have really good hockey sense, but Kappo would be a little bit ahead of what Mikko was at that point in his career. “

“I would combine Peter Forsberg and Auston Matthews,” Kaskinen said with a laugh. “He’s not a bully, but he’s really proud of who he is, and he wants to be the best, and he shows it every shift. Maybe that’s closer to Forsberg. Forsberg, Saku Koivu and Auston Matthews. That’s how I’d put the combination.”

Wow. What praise. I can’t remember a prospect as beloved by his coaches as Kakko. Kaskinen calls him the best Finn he’s ever seen in the Liiga at that age – ahead of Mikael Granlund and Aleksander Barkov. Kakko is big, strong, mature defensively for his age and capable of ragging the puck in the offensive zone. He absolutely projects to reach the NHL next season. It’s a virtual certainty.

Kakko is also a right winger. Ray Shero has been an NHL GM for 12 drafts between Pittsburgh and New Jersey. He’s taken a forward with his first pick seven times, and he chose a center six of those times. He added Jordan Staal to the Penguins’ core of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, and Shero’s first three Devils first-rounders were Pavel Zacha, Michael McLeod and Nico Hischier. Center, center, center. Shero believes in building teams up the middle. I thus expect the Devils to take Jack Hughes first overall, not because Kakko isn’t worthy, but because their GM clearly favors centers over wingers when breaking a tie between two draft candidates close in skill."

Ask Me Anything: Which NHL team will make the boldest off-season moves? - TheHockeyNews

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
"What are your odds for the New Jersey Devils taking Kaapo Kakko first overall?

The idea of Kakko being a legitimate threat to steal Jack Hughes’ No. 1 overall draft status is nothing like the faux, clickbaity chatter in 2016 touting Patrik Laine as a potential first-overall pick over Auston Matthews. The talk is for real this time. Jack Hughes projects as a franchise-changing player – think Patrick Kane, but as a center – yet so does Kakko.

Kakko is also a right winger. Ray Shero has been an NHL GM for 12 drafts between Pittsburgh and New Jersey. He’s taken a forward with his first pick seven times, and he chose a center six of those times. He added Jordan Staal to the Penguins’ core of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, and Shero’s first three Devils first-rounders were Pavel Zacha, Michael McLeod and Nico Hischier. Center, center, center. Shero believes in building teams up the middle. I thus expect the Devils to take Jack Hughes first overall, not because Kakko isn’t worthy, but because their GM clearly favors centers over wingers when breaking a tie between two draft candidates close in skill."

Ask Me Anything: Which NHL team will make the boldest off-season moves? - TheHockeyNews

This is were I am at right now, I do believe Hughes is the better prospect but its very close.
Matthews..........Hughes..Kakko......Laine. That is how I would grade them as prospects, can not go wrong with either, but Ray likes his centers and I agree with him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I was fully on the draft Hughes train, but Kakko looks like he's going to be something special.

Kakko just seems like he has that special sense of playing a team game but still making things happen. The type of star player that only produces a PPG but is arguably much more impactful then the offensive center producing more than a PPG. I see him playing that Marian Hossa role in the NHL.

Whereas Hughes offensive talent is rare, it seems like he still may need to fine tune his game a bit at the NHL level. Find ways to use his skill set where there's less time and space. The good thing here is the Devils have Hischier and Zacha/Zajac at center shelter him, if need be.

I trust the scouting staff to make the right decision, but damn I don't envy the person who has to make the final call.

Reactions: Verdoux

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So what are the general thoughts on later rounds picks? Anyone have a preference on how they are utilized? Just curious if people like over agers performing okay I'm higher leagues, or would rather go young and toolsy in lower leagues?

In my mock draft 3.0, I have the Devils taking Brink #34, McCarthy #55, Kokkonen #62.

It is my firm belief that with the #34, the Devils need to take another high upside player, regardless of position. Someone always falls. Brink would be a dream come true, but so would Lassi Thomson or Robert Mastrosimone or even Spencer Knight.

I think with the Devils 5 remaining picks from #55 through #96, they need to concentrate on shoring up organizational weaknesses. The Devils clearly need physical, shut-down defensemen, and I have repeatedly highlighted Kaeden Korczak, Case McCarthy, Antti Tuomisto and Jake Lee as key targets in that respect. The Devils need right-shot wingers with scoring acumen, and Michal Teply, Maxim Cajkovic, Ryder Donovan, Bryce Brodzinski and Judd Caulfield would all offer great help in that sense. And then there are the types of players that Ray Shero and Paul Castron have clearly liked in the past -- Leevi Aaltonen is reminiscent of a younger Jesper Boqvist with his ridiculous speed/skill combo. Nils Hoglander plays like a faster, nastier Fabian Zetterlund. The sorely underrated Blake Murray could be the 2019 Aarne Talvitie. Mike Koster is the type of LD who could fall to the 6th/7th rounds and compares quite well to Jeremy Davies, but with even better skating.

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
In my mock draft 3.0, I have the Devils taking Brink #34, McCarthy #55, Kokkonen #62.

It is my firm belief that with the #34, the Devils need to take another high upside player, regardless of position. Someone always falls. Brink would be a dream come true, but so would Lassi Thomson or Robert Mastrosimone or even Spencer Knight.

I think with the Devils 5 remaining picks from #55 through #96, they need to concentrate on shoring up organizational weaknesses. The Devils clearly need physical, shut-down defensemen, and I have repeatedly highlighted Kaeden Korczak, Case McCarthy, Antti Tuomisto and Jake Lee as key targets in that respect. The Devils need right-shot wingers with scoring acumen, and Michal Teply, Maxim Cajkovic, Ryder Donovan, Bryce Brodzinski and Judd Caulfield would all offer great help in that sense. And then there are the types of players that Ray Shero and Paul Castron have clearly liked in the past -- Leevi Aaltonen is reminiscent of a younger Jesper Boqvist with his ridiculous speed/skill combo. Nils Hoglander plays like a faster, nastier Fabian Zetterlund. The sorely underrated Blake Murray could be the 2019 Aarne Talvitie. Mike Koster is the type of LD who could fall to the 6th/7th rounds and compares quite well to Jeremy Davies, but with even better skating.

Good info. I'm still fairly fresh to the NHL draft circuit, so working my way around lol. I've seen some mocks give us Hoglander in the second. Wouldn't hate that at all.

Any love on goaltenders in this draft? I don't exactly love our organizational depth there.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

HuimaHuima

Jul 21, 2011
D6vI3xGXkAM44Xt.jpg

Reactions: mdj12784
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad