Team Board Mock Draft

Who will the Devils pick?

• Sacha Boisvert, C, North Dakota (NCAA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Igor Chernyshov, LW, Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

• Trevor Connelly, LW, Providence (NCAA)

• Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Michael Hage, C, Michigan (NCAA)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It all starts from going from 5'10 to 6'2 in a year and still being able to perform and skate as good. That level of growth usually comes with some struggles but as the year went on Sennecke only got better.

His hands are elite combine that with size and overall game and you quickly have a very appealing asset, if he's there at 10 he's BPA. I think by year's end you might see him closer to 5 than 10 on Mackenzie's final list. 7-8 is where I think he slots in this year
I voted MBN. I think I'm beginning to warm up to Sennecke. I'm beginning to feel that he's higher risk but higher reward. The fact that he has yet to grow into his body is intriguing.

In the end, I'm fine with Senecke, MBN, or Helenius. In fact. I'd consider a trade-down here. 3 or 4 spots of someone is willing to give us a decent asset to do so.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I voted MBN. I think I'm beginning to warm up to Sennecke. I'm beginning to feel that he's higher risk but higher reward. The fact that he has yet to grow into his body is intriguing.

In the end, I'm fine with Senecke, MBN, or Helenius. In fact. I'd consider a trade-down here. 3 or 4 spots of someone is willing to give us a decent asset to do so.
I think a trade down could be of interest to the devils if it's like San Jose.

I still think markstrom is likely coming to Jersey. A trade from 10 to 14 likely nets you 42 from the sharks. 42 can definitely be a primary piece for markstrom in trade.

A slightly more risky angle to flip with Minnesota to acquire gustavsson

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
scattered through the Nygard/Helenius/Eiserman votes

four zero posters (Lurking is fine and cool but feel free to post! These people don't bite)
a Pens fan:wedgie::heart:

and......Wayne Gretzky?!

Not enough to change a result

futurama-nixon.gif

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
It was between MBN and Sennecke for me but leaned MBN due to better fit. I get some of the Helenius love but I worry about how his physical tools translates to the NHL level.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
How many folks here watch the prospects themselves? A handful at most. I am honest that I just rely on those folks to tell me what they see. One of the prospect watchers called Helenius “Hischier Lite”. Some will see that as damning him with faint praise.

I used to. I don't have the time anymore, nor do I care to even if I did. Devils should be competing for the cup, not the draft lottery.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Same. Nygard has reached mythical status among the fanbase. I don’t think people realize how good Helenius is.
Helenius is automatic for me here.

I am surprised Nygard has such a big lead.

Its the same "mythical" status as Slafkovsky got on this board way before the draft. Over Wright. Who was ranked as clear #1 by some fans over Slaf and over Nemec.

So may be its not that bad, you know, to draft the player with this "mythical" status.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Sennecke worries me despite the recent helium and hype he has received leading up to the draft. He certainly has the hands, skates and offensive IQ to make an impact in the pros, but there are too many "ifs" to take top 10 considering he's not even at the top of the list we're choosing from in terms of offensive upside (I'd rank both Eiserman and Hage over him easily, and I'm not even counting Connolly because, believe me, the Devils don't want Connolly).

I would agree that in an ultimate ceiling type scenario Sennecke would score more than either Helenius or Nygard, that's true, but we're not talking about a 100+ point player vs. a 60-point guy. Sennecke does not have that kind of upside, and both Helenius and Nygard could conceivably develop into 70+ point players with outstanding two-way games. Sennecke has a ton of work to do to achieve a NHL-level on his 200-foot game, and he's not really known for his compete level off the puck.

I like Sennecke, I'm just skeptical of the recent hype. I think he's a solid pick in the 15-20 range, but he wasn't even in consideration for me. I voted Nygard but to me it was a coin flip over Helenius. Next behind them would be -- in order -- Chernyshov, Hage and trade-down-then-draft-Solberg-and-add-a-2nd-round-pick.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Same. Nygard has reached mythical status among the fanbase. I don’t think people realize how good Helenius is.
I couldn't be a bigger Helenius fan, actually. I've been raving all over the draft pages about how good he is. But I will add that some people don't realize how good Nygard is.

Like Helenius, Nygard's finest attributes are a combination of intangibles -- both players have a combination of hockey IQ and compete level which are the highest level of elite. Helenius is a better passer and puck-handler, there's no doubt. Nygard is a better physical force and shooter, there's no doubt. Both players are tremendous positive-impact players in all three zones.

If the Devils get either one of these two terrific young talents, the fanbase should be extremely excited.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Sennecke worries me despite the recent helium and hype he has received leading up to the draft. He certainly has the hands, skates and offensive IQ to make an impact in the pros, but there are too many "ifs" to take top 10 considering he's not even at the top of the list we're choosing from in terms of offensive upside (I'd rank both Eiserman and Hage over him easily, and I'm not even counting Connolly because, believe me, the Devils don't want Connolly).

I would agree that in an ultimate ceiling type scenario Sennecke would score more than either Helenius or Nygard, that's true, but we're not talking about a 100+ point player vs. a 60-point guy. Sennecke does not have that kind of upside, and both Helenius and Nygard could conceivably develop into 70+ point players with outstanding two-way games. Sennecke has a ton of work to do to achieve a NHL-level on his 200-foot game, and he's not really known for his compete level off the puck.

I like Sennecke, I'm just skeptical of the recent hype. I think he's a solid pick in the 15-20 range, but he wasn't even in consideration for me. I voted Nygard but to me it was a coin flip over Helenius. Next behind them would be -- in order -- Chernyshov, Hage and trade-down-then-draft-Solberg-and-add-a-2nd-round-pick.
Interesting part of Nygard success in play off is his game with younger partners in alsvenskan.
Part of Sennecke success in play off is return of Ritchie after injury. Productive nhler from the first round from previous draft. But who cares, great passing in Juniors even without any defensive game is much more important than top-3 shot on the draft, best compete level, two way game, better skating, great starting speed and processing the game in all three zones. Sennecke is taller. Taller, you know.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting part of Nygard success in play off is his game with younger partners in alsvenskan.
Part of Sennecke success in play off is return of Ritchie after injury. Productive nhler from the first round from previous draft. But who cares, great passing in Juniors even without any defensive game is much more important than top-3 shot on the draft, best compete level, two way game, better skating, great starting speed and processing the game in all three zones. Sennecke is taller. Taller, you know.
I think the question of "upside" is used incorrectly with Nygard. My question would be: how many points would he have scored this year in the OHL? I don't think it would have been much different than the numbers Sennecke put up.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

I'd disagree about Sennecke. I think he's one of the toolsiest players in this draft class and he plays a much more impactful game than Hage or Eiserman. There's not a tool he doesn't have or at least flash offensively and considering his recent growth spurt and the improvements he's made to his game as the year has gone on I think it's fair to say he's on a clear upward trajectory with his development. I would not at all be surprised if Sennecke is a player we'll look back in a few years and wonder why he wasn't a top 5 pick.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I think that's an extreme oversimplification of Sennecke. I don't think anybody that's high on Sennecke is going to bring up his OHL stats. The reason Sennecke is interesting is the amount of tools he either already has in the bag or flashes a ton of. He has some great anticipation and natural hockey instincts to go along with his physical tools and it's very easy to watch him and imagine him putting all those tools together and being a high end playmaker at the next level.

And even with that praise of Sennecke and thinking he should be in play for 10th overall I still would lean towards Nygard because I think his all around 200ft game and underrated offense is more valuable to the Devils.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would not at all be surprised if Sennecke is a player we'll look back in a few years and wonder why he wasn't a top 5 pick.
Or not. Or some other player.

Players with not impressive compete level and inconsistent iq(different quality of decision making ij different situations) are not so easy to project. Especially when their stock rises with playing on the line with one of the best players in the league. If Sennecke would be great and fast skater, I would not be so worry, but he is mobile with the puck and I woukd call his skating average. Good average skating for his size. Speed... its not his best side.

Still should be interesting player if he will develop some parts of his game. Could be great player but he needs to develop different sides of his game.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think that's an extreme oversimplification of Sennecke. I don't think anybody that's high on Sennecke is going to bring up his OHL stats. The reason Sennecke is interesting is the amount of tools he either already has in the bag or flashes a ton of. He has some great anticipation and natural hockey instincts to go along with his physical tools and it's very easy to watch him and imagine him putting all those tools together and being a high end playmaker at the next level.

And even with that praise of Sennecke and thinking he should be in play for 10th overall I still would lean towards Nygard because I think his all around 200ft game and underrated offense is more valuable to the Devils.
Passing sense - very good or above.
Very good stickhsndling. But on the slower moves.
Skating. Average.
Speed especially starting speed isn't a tool for him.
Defensive game and defensive vision is below average at best.
Physical tools are interesting but needs a lot of work and polishing. At least there is more real potential.
Shot is average or above average.
Game against transitioning(poositionally) isn't as great but he is playing quite well personally.
Conpete level isn't great. Isnt bad.

He is very raw. And some of his raws are not so easy to fix or develop. Its wishful thinking. Of course he can.
But every player on the top 20 list can develop. Some of them have lesser list to develop. Some of them have quite straight forward way with developing - like Nygard, Helenius, Dickinson, Chernyshov. I would say Iginla has more clear way to the best version of himself. May be he needs more work on defensive side of the game but still easier path than Sennecke. Catton should work in gym in a leg day.
Senneckes list of "if this and that" is longer.
And if he will develop his game to the Tage Thompson level (who was much faster in his mechanics, with better shooting), its still not so consistent story and inconsistent impact in all three zones. Thompson would be higher in redraft, but a lot of gms still would draft Keller, McAvoy, even Hagel and Sergachyov has arguments for being drafted higher. And of course most of gms would prefer to draft Tkachuk or Fox.
And for now Thompsons way is looking like the best case scenario for Sennecke
I'm not saying Thompson is bad. I'm saying I would prefer Helenius and Nygard over Sennecke. Because their path to the best form of them is more clear.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
So... 4th line center?

Thats an insult to Nico.
Any comparison to him is a guaranteed 3C. Nico will just be a little bit better of a 3C.

If the Devils draft him, they can be a 3rd line center-A and 3rd line center-B

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Passing sense - very good or above.
Very good stickhsndling. But on the slower moves.
Skating. Average.
Speed especially starting speed isn't a tool for him.
Defensive game and defensive vision is below average at best.
Physical tools are interesting but needs a lot of work and polishing. At least there is more real potential.
Shot is average or above average.
Game against transitioning(poositionally) isn't as great but he is playing quite well personally.
Conpete level isn't great. Isnt bad.

He is very raw. And some of his raws are not so easy to fix or develop. Its wishful thinking. Of course he can.
But every player on the top 20 list can develop. Some of them have lesser list to develop. Some of them have quite straight forward way with developing - like Nygard, Helenius, Dickinson, Chernyshov. I would say Iginla has more clear way to the best version of himself. May be he needs more work on defensive side of the game but still easier path than Sennecke. Catton should work in gym in a leg day.
Senneckes list of "if this and that" is longer.
And if he will develop his game to the Tage Thompson level (who was much faster in his mechanics, with better shooting), its still not so consistent story and inconsistent impact in all three zones. Thompson would be higher in redraft, but a lot of gms still would draft Keller, McAvoy, even Hagel and Sergachyov has arguments for being drafted higher. And of course most of gms would prefer to draft Tkachuk or Fox.
And for now Thompsons way is looking like the best case scenario for Sennecke
I'm not saying Thompson is bad. I'm saying I would prefer Helenius and Nygard over Sennecke. Because their path to the best form of them is more clear.
I disagree that Sennecke is a raw player. And even if you think Sennecke's a raw player, Slafkovsky was drafted 1st overall and was certainly a "raw talent" rather than an established player with little to improve upon. The NHL draft isn't just about taking the player that's currently best, it's about taking the player that best projects to the NHL level.

I'd also disagree with the idea that Sennecke has a tougher development path. If anything I'd argue that he has an easier development path due to all the areas where he shows promise and projection, vs a player like Helenius who doesn't have as many obvious projectable traits or areas for improvement. It's very possible a player like Helenius stagnates as a prospect and is overmatched at the NHL level due to physical limitations, whereas a player like Sennecke that has more developmental runway excels at the NHL level.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Kinda strange. By all accounts, Helenius plays a pro-style game, is a complete player, and has a decently high upside. Draft-year players with his level of production in Liiga almost always become NHLers, and he's on the younger side of draft eligibles too. Couple that with being a center, which is the organization's biggest need, and it seems like a great fit.

I don't see Nygard really having an edge. I get that he plays a different style of game that is a perceived need, but he also produced less at a lower level and is on the older side of draft eligibles. I would not be upset drafting him, but I can't have him ahead, and definitely not by a large margin.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I disagree that Sennecke is a raw player. And even if you think Sennecke's a raw player, Slafkovsky was drafted 1st overall and was certainly a "raw talent" rather than an established player with little to improve upon. The NHL draft isn't just about taking the player that's currently best, it's about taking the player that best projects to the NHL level.

I'd also disagree with the idea that Sennecke has a tougher development path. If anything I'd argue that he has an easier development path due to all the areas where he shows promise and projection, vs a player like Helenius who doesn't have as many obvious projectable traits or areas for improvement. It's very possible a player like Helenius stagnates as a prospect and is overmatched at the NHL level due to physical limitations, whereas a player like Sennecke that has more developmental runway excels at the NHL level.
Slafkovsky was a player with much better compete level and he was way smarter in all three zones in different situations. You are talking about Slafkovsky who didn't try to outplay small players by stickhandling on the average speed and puck protection.
Its a very different story. Slafkovsky as an adult, Sennecke didn't. Slafkovsky shined by his own, Sennecke too but on the line with Ritchie. And the most important parts are decision making, compete level and the tools - Slafkovsky was very translatable.

Words about "isn't best now" are sad. Looks like you don't listen.
I understand this concept. The real problem is Sennecke should dramatically develop and change different parts of his game. He will change some part of his game, but it is not so big chance he will develop everything. If you are betting on this, let's draft Eiserman. Imagine if he will develop compete level two steps forward, positional vision, his skating and speed, 200 foot game etc. Its sarcasm.

Sennecke is tall. May be with better shot. But not dramatically.
Helenius is better on the edges. His skating techniques are better.
Helenius is competent to play in all three zones. And processing the game in different situation fast.
Helenius is smarter player.
Helenius is better making faster decisions with the puck as a passer - Sennecke is trying to play with thr puck for too long. It doesn't work well on adult level especially with the skating level of Sennecke.

Yes, Sennecke is looking like a player who should gain muscles and it will help to play physical game much better - he is already protecting the puck well. But Helenius is smart player with good compete level - its the most important tool for developing - and he is already has all tools on the good level - already good skater, good versatile shooter, good creative passer, good 200 foot player. Its easier for him to make one step forward, than Sennecke who is far away from being competent, some of his skills needs work. More steps. And adaptation. He will not stickhandle every opponent on nhl level with his speed.

Fans early like sticihandling. Its a very selling feature. But it has very limited future in nhl if player is not skate like McDavid and Jack Hughes. NHL defensemen do not let this things works. Sometimes they did but its rare. Players can not build the game on stickhandling in nhl. Its just fact. Even Jack Hughes more often is trying to outskate opponents, trying to make decisions, trying to manipulate opponents. Sennecke has nice hands and offensive vision to bring parts of this element in cycling.

Overall Sennecke is doing some things that will not working well in nhl, and is not doing some things that nhl game needs. Two way positional play is a thing that will not develop easily. Playmaking with the puck is a selling feature for Helenius too. So it's easier for him to adapt. Nygard? Much easier with his skating, speed, physicals and as better compete level. Like Steve said, Sennecke is great pick for 15-20 range, ceiling is definitely high - still interesting visible potential/more realistic outcome of big playmaker with offensive vision.
But Nygard has visible potential of two way scorer with great all around game.
Helenius has visible potential of two way center.
Catton has visible potential of leading offensive playmaker.
Iginla has visible potential to be great complimentary offensive forward with acceptable defensive game.
Chernyshov has visible potential of two way versatile power forward.

Its not about floor and ceiling only. There is something in the middle and its more realistic outcome.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad