Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Kenny is as lame duck of a GM as you are going to find. I don't know why people continue to give a **** about the words that come out of his mouth.
People are suckers if they believe everything that comes out of Kenny's mouth or that the rebuild is over after the 2019 draft. Kenny wants to make the playoffs next season? What GM wouldn't say that, whether realistic or not? I don't fault Holland one bit for saying that. I also don't think Kenny actually believes it one bit. You don't need to be Scotty Bowman to know that we are not a very talented team (even when healthy) and that there is nothing that is going to change that in the next two years. We will be picking in the top five next year regardless of whether Kenny wants to make the playoffs or not.

As others have said, no good, self-respecting UFA is signing in Detroit anytime soon. Just because we love the Wings doesn't mean that UFAs do. Truth be told, I would have a hard time respecting any good ones that would sign in Detroit this summer.
Panarin, Karlsson and Bob plus drafting Hughes and having Yzerman makes us a playoff team and respectable in one summer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Players Drapes sounds high on, IMO: Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Cozens, Broberg

Hard to tell if he's high on the other guys, but he said less. That might be Drapes, but it might be Khan's editing. He doesn't seem that excited about Dach.

He said that Cozens "does things the right way" which is pretty much the highest form of praise the Wings offer about a player. That kind of thing was supposedly a big part of their interest in Rasmussen. They're suckers for kids who have pro-style mentalities, character, and leadership.

He pretty much said something good about everyone... I found it interesting they didn’t list Krebs at all, though. He’s probably a top 5 guy for me.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He pretty much said something good about everyone... I found it interesting they didn’t list Krebs at all, though. He’s probably a top 5 guy for me.

That’s what I noticed as well. Not that I think Draper just gave away our top 10 list. We probably have the same 1,2,3 as most scouting services do in Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin. Though I know most on this site dislike the idea of Podkolzin

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
That’s what I noticed as well. Not that I think Draper just gave away our top 10 list. We probably have the same 1,2,3 as most scouting services do in Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin. Though I know most on this site dislike the idea of Podkolzin
Just reading it I got the feeling they have Kakko #1 and are really high on Cozens.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Podkolzin winds up a Rangers player somehow. They like Russians, he has a history of chemistry with their first from last year. So assuming the Rangers pick in front of us but not in the one spot, I think that is where he goes.

If we draft one slot in front of them or two and those center and D are on the board, the Rangers have a bunch of assets. Yes, they are rebuilding but perhaps we can get something to not slide very far out of him. That or you know we won the lottery and are taking Hughes.:laugh: Time will tell.

Man, I am feelinf more and more about Podkolzin like you do about Kakko.

I really can’t bring myself to rank him higher than #8. I feel way better about the 3 forwards from the WHL. I feel better about Byram. I also feel better about Turcotte and Zegras... and almost even York.

Him and Broberg just have very pedestrian numbers in their league play compared to what they have done in the big tournaments, and it’s giving me a lot of pause and reason for concern. And it’s not like they have been in the KHL and SHL.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Man, I am feelinf more and more about Podkolzin like you do about Kakko.

I really can’t bring myself to rank him higher than #8. I feel way better about the 3 forwards from the WHL. I feel better about Byram. I also feel better about Turcotte and Zegras... and almost even York.

Him and Broberg just have very pedestrian numbers in their league play compared to what they have done in the big tournaments, and it’s giving me a lot of pause and reason for concern. And it’s not like they have been in the KHL and SHL.

I am a big Broberg fan still. I just love his athleticism and think his ceiling is out of this world.

Danger to the pick though. It does make me cringe whenever I see Colorado get him and Cozens in mock drafts... Man that would be the most athletic homerun I can remember in a draft if it does play out for them that way.

My list has been shifting, but I have been trying to watch the top 10 guys a lot more lately.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am a big Broberg fan still. I just love his athleticism and think his ceiling is out of this world.

Danger to the pick though. It does make me cringe whenever I see Colorado get him and Cozens in mock drafts... Man that would be the most athletic homerun I can remember in a draft if it does play out for them that way.

My list has been shifting, but I have been trying to watch the top 10 guys a lot more lately.

Yeah, let me know what you think. I’m not saying Broberg is Sean Day, but I have some similar concerns.

What I had today was this:

Hughes
Kakko
Cozens
Dach
Krebs
Byram
Turcotte
Zegras
Podkolzin
Boldy
York
Pelletier
Knight
Soderstrom
Suzuki

After that I have guys like Newhook, Kaliyev, Brink, Broberg, and Heinola.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, let me know what you think. I’m not saying Broberg is Sean Day, but I have some similar concerns.

What I had today was this:

Hughes
Kakko
Cozens
Dach
Krebs
Byram
Turcotte
Zegras
Podkolzin
Boldy
York
Pelletier
Knight
Soderstrom
Suzuki

After that I have guys like Newhook, Kaliyev, Brink, Broberg, and Heinola.

I kind of need two lists at this point. Because honestly I just don't want the Wings to draft Kakko, Podkolzin or Boldy. I don't want a winger in this draft, I like the other players enough to just not care about that. I know I am BPA almost all the time. But they don't offer me enough to not pass over them for Turcotte for instance. I would select him over both guys for this team.

I am getting kind of set in that. But I think it is impacting my list in terms of if I was to give just a clean scouting list. Now to be sure Kakko would be lower still than almost any list like you were saying with Podkolzin he just worries me.

With Broberg I feel about him the same as I felt like I did last year with Tkachuk who I had top 5 pretty much wire to wire and #4 on my final list. I don't care how much the numbers are scaring people, whenever I watch him I see dynamic athletic talent.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I kind of need two lists at this point. Because honestly I just don't want the Wings to draft Kakko, Podkolzin or Boldy. I don't want a winger in this draft, I like the other players enough to just not care about that. I know I am BPA almost all the time. But they don't offer me enough to not pass over them for Turcotte for instance. I would select him over both guys for this team.

I actually feel you on that, especially with Podkolzin. I kind of struggle with the same.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I actually feel you on that, especially with Podkolzin. I kind of struggle with the same.

The one thing with Podkolzin is I think he might be the best puck battle guy in this draft and probably has the best motor along with Turcotte for me. Krebs has a motor but I think he will be a fast finesse player ala Marner if we are really lucky and take him. But Podkolzin plays a heavy NA ready pro game to me. Still he is falling for me, because I just cannot pass on one of these centers or truer playmaking center/wings in Krebs and Hughes offer the kind of dynamic scoring return with center experimentation that I am okay with those guys a little more well obviously in terms of Hughes I really believe there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The one thing with Podkolzin is I think he might be the best puck battle guy in this draft and probably has the best motor along with Turcotte for me. Krebs has a motor but I think he will be a fast finesse player ala Marner if we are really lucky and take him. But Podkolzin plays a heavy NA ready pro game to me. Still he is falling for me, because I just cannot pass on one of these centers or truer playmaking center/wings in Krebs and Hughes offer the kind of dynamic scoring return with center experimentation that I am okay with those guys a little more well obviously in terms of Hughes I really believe there.

I think Krebs will be a center. His team is trash, but he finds a way to get on the scoreboard and make an impact every night.

He carries a little more risk than the big guys but he is a driver not a passenger, which is big for me. He is a beautiful skater, if he puts on 15 lbs and matures more physically he could be really good. I’ve come around on him and I like him a lot.

Big fan of the WHL kids, they all fit what we want to do in my opinion.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I am getting kind of set in that. But I think it is impacting my list in terms of if I was to give just a clean scouting list. Now to be sure Kakko would be lower still than almost any list like you were saying with Podkolzin he just worries me.

With Broberg I feel about him the same as I felt like I did last year with Tkachuk who I had top 5 pretty much wire to wire and #4 on my final list. I don't care how much the numbers are scaring people, whenever I watch him I see dynamic athletic talent.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Broberg (at least where we are picking) which is odd coming from a skating snob. I think he is a far better athlete than hockey player and not nearly as skilled as people want to believe. I can't deny the skating and athleticism, but will be glad he goes in part of the first where we won't be picking.

I do, however, find your previous description of Podkolzin very accurate.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Yep.

Oh well I predicted we wouldn't get Hughes but we will get Lafreniere and so far so good w that one.

I guess.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Lol yea

I just see him in that Rimouski jersey and I have flashbacks to Crosby...

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So I've been trying to mentally prepare myself by focusing on the guys I think will be available from about 4-10. One of them has been Peyton Krebs. I was checking out the WHL guys' stats to see how their years are going, and I was totally blown away. Cozens, Dach, and Krebs all have pretty similar point totals, but Krebs' team is so, so much worse. Krebs is pretty much the only meaningful offensive player on Kootenay. It goes Krebs with 60 points, overager Jaeger White with 40 points, and then everybody else is 30 or below. Of the other guys, only White has more than 12 goals (he has 22).

That's just insane to me. Kootenay has scored 50 fewer goals than Lethbridge and Saskatoon. Krebs has a point on 40% of their goals. For Cozens, it's 31%, and for Dach it's 26%. That is a huge impact.

To be clear, I'm still driving the Cozens bandwagon. But Krebs could be going under the radar. If we're picking later than expected and they go with Krebs, that could be a really good pick.

Reactions: drwings40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad