Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just too early for me but...

...from Finnish players.

- Kaapo Kakko, big 6'4 lefty, sniper right winger. Ranked 4.overall on most mock drafts. Definitely on our pick range.

- Anttoni Honka, smallish 5'10 RhD,
Youngest of Honka brothers (Nill drafted Julius to Dallas), could be the most talented and determined of Honka brothers... guy has had toughest "quality of competition" on their home-pond games against older brothers. :D Oldest brother was the worse, already retired.

From here some average Mock drafts:

2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Looks like the 2019 draft has 3 centers (Hughes, Newhook, Dach) ranked at TOP4, so that could give the answer for our future center spot.

We have picks at 1st round, 2nd round + extra NYI 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Very forward heavy. I like the idea of taking a D in this draft and then another center next year.
We all know about Jack Hughes. It looks like Newhook and Dach would also be good options.
Kaapo Kakko intrigues me.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Are there any concerns about Hughes' size? I know it's a year from making any real difference, but an unlikely 5'10" and 150 is crazy, especially given that his brother isn't really any bigger. I suppose maybe it matters less if he moves to W (a la Gaudreau), but that seems like a really little guy in the middle.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Hughes is a top line talent no matter what forward position he ends up at.

Also, you don't have to be big to be a top line center.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Just too early for me but...

...from Finnish players.

- Kaapo Kakko, big 6'4 lefty, sniper right winger. Ranked 4.overall on most mock drafts. Definitely on our pick range.

- Anttoni Honka, smallish 5'10 RhD,
Youngest of Honka brothers (Nill drafted Julius to Dallas), could be the most talented and determined of Honka brothers... guy has had toughest "quality of competition" on their home-pond games against older brothers. :D Oldest brother was the worse, already retired.

From here some average Mock drafts:

2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Looks like the 2019 draft has 3 centers (Hughes, Newhook, Dach) ranked at TOP4, so that could give the answer for our future center spot.

We have picks at 1st round, 2nd round + extra NYI 2nd rounder.

Too early? Its next year.

But thanks for the info. I appreciate it, sincerely.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Damn, Kirby Dach must be a hell of a playmaker.

I will start looking into this draft more in July-August. All I really know right now are Kakko and Hughes.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Very forward heavy. I like the idea of taking a D in this draft and then another center next year.
We all know about Jack Hughes. It looks like Newhook and Dach would also be good options.
Kaapo Kakko intrigues me.

Defenseman this year, and BPA next year is a great idea IMO.

Plenty of forward talent in 2019.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I think Hughes, Lavoie, Cozens, and Turcotte will provide some really good options at center next year.

Weird that they put Bowen Byram at #30? I’ve seen him talked about mostly as a top 5 pick for next year.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Probability for a TOP3 pick is 50% for the league-last team. So if we don't win the lottery, the can't be excuses?

If Detroit doesn't win the lottery, then that's an excuse to not pick top 3.

Just pick a core player at 4-5.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Also, you don't have to be big to be a top line center.

Of course not, but that doesn't mean there's a very clear trend:

kopitar - 6'3, 220
barkov - 6'3, 210
couturier - 6'3, 210
mcdavid - 6'1, 190
getzlaf - 6'4, 220
seguin - 6'1, 200
o'reilly - 6'1, 220
crosby - 5'11, 200
scheifele - 6'3, 210
giroux - 5'11, 185
eichel - 6'2, 210
tavares - 6'1, 210
mackinnon - 6'0, 205
trocheck - 5'10, 180
larkin - 6'1, 200

But I guess it's a completely unreasonable question. :rolleyes:

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
You have good logic there njx9, no doubt about it he is below average on size but at 17, he's what 5'10 160 lbs ? atleast on elite prospects has him at 161 but at 5'10 i think he could fill out to 185 and be fine. Everywhere jack hughes has played he has dominated, This kid is going to be a monster in the bigs and i think he will be a bright star for years to come. but it's hard to think we will land #1 overall so i don't try not to think of hughes, probably around 4-6 range again given our luck and i'm fully in the kirby dach boat, 6'4 185 lbs at 17 years is incredible and has great playmaking abilities with some strength.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m way less worried about Jack as opposed to Quinn because of being a forward vs defenseman.

Even f he doesn’t stick at center, I think Jack could be a dominant offensive force similar to Patty Kane. That said Brayden Point is playing center at 170 something lbs and is pretty good, so it can be done.

I think Alex Turcotte is going to light it up next year, personally. If you want a big center both Raphael Lavoie and Dylan Cozens had very strong -1 seasons, and should be in the top 10 mix. Next year should be very strong at the center position.

Last edited:

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Next years draft is gonna be stacked I think, we really need to stock up on as many picks possible in 2019 as well. I think if we really stock up for 2019 like we did this year and get another high pick we could have most of the pieces we need going forward, assuming we draft well.

I'm just looking at the USNTDP, and holy cow, that draft class is freaking insane, they were by far the best u17 team ever and that's even without 4 of their best players.
A lot of guys I see as potential first rounders, including at least 2 top 10 locks
Hughes
Turcotte
York
Caufield
Boldy
Beecher
Helleson
Thrun
Zegras
Warren
Vlasic

Last edited:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Bump.

Been reading a lot of scouting reports on the 2019 draft, and I feel that the defenseman in this draft aren't getting enough attention. There are several high level defenseman available.

Byram
Soderstrom
Robertson
Vukojevic

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Valentin Nussbaumer was a player who caught my eye in the U18 tournament playing for Switzerland. Extremely shifty player, fast hands and effective especially on the half wall on the powerplay.

Will be interesting to see how he performs this upcoming season. Potential first rounder?

Valentin Nussbaumer at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: NickH8

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Valentin Nussbaumer was a player who caught my eye in the U18 tournament playing for Switzerland. Extremely shifty player, fast hands and effective especially on the half wall on the powerplay.

Will be interesting to see how he performs this upcoming season. Potential first rounder?

Valentin Nussbaumer at eliteprospects.com

He'll be a 1st rounder. Depending on development, he might go top 10. Very well rounded and talented.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bump.

Been reading a lot of scouting reports on the 2019 draft, and I feel that the defenseman in this draft aren't getting enough attention. There are several high level defenseman available.

Byram
Soderstrom
Robertson
Vukojevic

Byram is really good. I think Kaedan Korczak is worth keeping an eye on, probably the next good 1st round defenseman from Kelowna. Also don't forget about Cam York, he was USA's best defenseman at the U18's, IMO.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Byram is really good. I think Kaedan Korczak is worth keeping an eye on, probably the next good 1st round defenseman from Kelowna. Also don't forget about Cam York, he was USA's best defenseman at the U18's, IMO.

I almost feel like qualifying that isn't opinion but a fact. I know I can't, but Cam York was amazing in the U18s

Reactions: Garrett York
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad