OT: 2019 nCov (part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I have no idea what it represent.

why nothing from Montreal/Toronto

This is a tree of the various strains that exist right now, ever since it started from Wuhan (deep blue). As you can see, this virus mutated a lot along the way. Red are North America, Toronto is there but there is only one strain. There has to be someone sequencing these strains to appear in the graph, so results from MOntreal will appear later.

Reactions: llamateizer

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Okay. But sending the equipment there, I think about the people (nurses and doctors) who benefited from that shipment. I look at it more from the POV of the boots to the ground personnel.

But what I was saying is that Trump sending military to the borders is, in my opinion, more about keeping Americans from crossing over to Canada who don't want to return to work since he wants to boost the economy and is more than willing to not give two shits about the pandemic.
This is just a theory. I would beleive what you write about 50%. There is more than that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
China can produce enough equipement by itself, wouldn't you say? They built a hospital in 10 days...China can produce ANYTHING quickly. And everybody knew it was coming.

Not politicizing this, but it has been an issue over the last 50 years in this country. We tend to lend a ear to China a lot. We shouldn't. That's just me talking here.

Meh...I think you are politicizing it. I know very little about canadian politics to be honest, so I'm not associated to any party, I don't see a problem in what we did when we did it.
China was going down, we didn't have any case, we sent help. I'm sure there was some backroom handshake about something as there always is in politics.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Has someone been travelling? Hope you get well asap. appreciate the info.

Naaa, well not literally, I mean I didn't travel in other countries, nor did I know anybody coming back from such countries.

But for the last 6 weeks I've been working at my workplace store, as a 'merchandise handler' of sort, where I receive 'commercial travelers' from a bit everywhere, the rest of Canada and USA included, and merchandise from USA, Europe and Asia (rarely).

We do have a local nurse at job, and communicated with her as soon as I figured I was sick, and she guided me the best she could. She told me to call 811 if I got fever, so I got someone to fetch me a thermometer. During the day I was alright, but in the evening, damn... called sick for my next shift (which was yesterday morning, and I never call sick, even when I am), called 811, told them my workplace situation, and they refered me to an appointment clerk, and to the nearest screening center because I do have the symptoms... where they turned me back, because I didn't fulfill the 'conditions' of having been travelling or met someone travelling, even told me I didn't seem to have the symptoms. Thought it was very arbitrary of her to just say that, that I may simply have a strong constitution and fight better than the majority of people who goes there. Also, I know I'm not the first one who's been turned away... anyway called my nurse, she was shocked and thought there was a misinterpretation, asked me to call 811 again and tell them what happened, which I did. It was another professional, she told me the same thing as the first one, that I have the symptoms, but that the conditions changed and to tell them, so again she put me in contact with an appointment clerk, which was the same as before, and she wondered why I was turned back, but told me that ultimately, the onplace personnel have the last word.

After that, a friend of mine, who was watching Legault press conference, told me that now, everybody showing symptoms needs to be tested, not only people who were back from travels or in contact with someone who was travelling. Probably the changed conditions the second nurse at 811 told me about, probably something the nurse at the screening center didn't know about. (I hope she didn't). I again communicated with my local nurse to tell her that, and she told me that in the meanwhile, to monitor my fever level, that if it gets too high, to call again and get at the center, to push through.

So I'm there.

Just to be sure, my workplace officials took the situation seriously and installed measures for travellers to wash their hands before entering on the site, and were checked everytime, that I know, it's a big place and a lot of them have to pass the gate every day. Especially for us, though, as they pressed the need to wash our hands each and everyday, social distancing, our direction really is proactive, and the local nurse sure is taking care of the situation the best she can... but like I told my co-workers just last week, when it's like everybody suddenly woke up to the seriousness of the situation, at the store we pretty much are the place where everything gets through, and since you can't really prepare yourself for something like that, I simply rationalized that if we have to 'get it', we will, whatever the measures.

Now, like I said, conditions changed yesterday, so I don't know what's next. Been only 2 days too, I do have fever bursts but just in the evening, where I wake up soaked in the middle of the night, but in the morning and afternoon I'm alright.

The cough, though, is crazy... when it's not my head that is seemingly about to explode because of my coughing bursts, it's my breath I have trouble getting back to normal levels.

Like I said, it's probably just a horribly timed flu/cold, but in these times, what do I know. There are no cures anyway, the only thing I can do, whatever if I have it or not, is to stay home, something I already did on a daily basis even before that whole mess, so not really a 'new' situation for me. Not being able to go to the grocery sucks, but I have people around me who propose themselves on a daily basis if I need something.

And I'm not afraid cause I do have a strong constitution, am pretty healthy in general (heck the night it happened, I trained at home just a couple hours before, and everything was fine) and am strong mentally, passed through a lot in life, so it's just another shitty situation to go through.

A very nice 'gift' for my 40th birthday.

(and @Andy if you read that, seriously, just call 811, saw you were situated in Montreal, they will help you, don't live with that stress)

PS Sorry for the lenghty post, don't want to sound whiny nor do I want people to become paranoid, in fact I want people to simply take care of themselves and to respect the lockdown, and to be especially careful at their workplaces. We're all in this mess, together, we'll get through it, together.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
We helped China again. While some of our provincial govmnts are scrambling for equipments. The Liberals have been sleeping with the CCP since the 70's. It's an issue. A major issue.

Are you saying a hypothetical Scheer govt would not have sent help to China? If you are, is that based on talks with those ADM friends of yours? It's credible if you were in the know at the ADM level during the Harper years, which I don't know if you were..?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Some snowbirds in Lac-Saint-Jean decided to go to the grocery with her RV. Once a manager of a competing grocery store saw it, he called the manager of the other store and he went and told them to leave.

The people who traveled and don't respect the quarantine....I just don't get it.

Reactions: angusyoung

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I agree. You want dry you go to Prairies and BC. Every time I go back to Quebec in the summer I'm amazed how humid it is. Ottawa is even worse.
The worst places for humidity in heat waves in Quebec are Gatineau, Sorel, Montreal and the Montérégie near St-Jean. This is my opinion. The Laurentians are ok, Lac St-Jean and Gaspesie are ok too.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree. You want dry you go to Prairies and BC. Every time I go back to Quebec in the summer I'm amazed how humid it is. Ottawa is even worse.

Qc is maybe more humid than those other places in Canada, but I don't think it's that bad. I came in end of july this summer during a heat stroke and I thought it was fine. Didn't even use the AC in the semi-basement.
Asia and the Middle East, that's humid. Needed to change my t-shirt 3 times there during the peaking humid period. Once I got used to that, Mtl summers are a freaking breeze.
But ya, compared to the west coast, it's more humid. I went to Seattle right after Mtl, but I thought it was cold.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The people who traveled and don't respect the quarantine....I just don't get it.
They are from Lac St-Jean. Every time in my job life I had to work with the worst @**h***s quebecois I could hate, they were from Lac St-Jean. On the other hand, loved people from Valleyfield, from Ahuntsic, Longueuil, from Trois-Rivières, from Lanaudiere, etc, but from Lac St-Jean I can't stand them. Duche bag fabric, toxic selfish dudes.

Reactions: MasterD

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
They are from Lac St-Jean. Every time in my job life I had to work with the worst @**h***s quebecois I could hate, they were from Lac St-Jean. On the other hand, loved people from Valleyfield, from Ahuntsic, Longueuil, from Trois-Rivières, from Lanaudiere, etc, but from Lac St-Jean I can't stand them. Duche bag fabric, toxic selfish dudes.

Cheers!

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Let's lighten the mood a bit :)

upload_2020-3-26_9-56-11.png

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
The worst places for humidity in heat waves in Quebec are Gatineau, Sorel, Montreal and the Montérégie near St-Jean. This is my opinion. The Laurentians are ok, Lac St-Jean and Gaspesie are ok too.

There's a weird place in Quebec where there are temperature records set in every year, either in summer or in winter.

La Tuque.

Humidity levels here are crazy, but we're surrounded by forests, lakes and rivers, all that in a valley.

I remember once a 52 celcius (with humidity levels) day, crazy hot, was working a student job on VIA trains, AC broke and everybody on the train was melting, and also a -48 (windy, that time), where I was working as a gas station attendant, of course people don't stay at home at -48 and still want their cars filled up, fun times...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
2 more deaths in Quebec. 8 in total.

290 more cases. 1629 in total.

31 800 negative results.

2600 waiting for results.

Legault said that Quebec is one of the place that offers the most tests in the world.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I lived in Washington D.C. for 5 years, it is horrible in the summer, like living in a swamp. The only place I have been to that is more humid was tropical Australia. We bought new towels every week because they would get moldy when we were in northwestern Australia. That and the sound of the sugarcane toads are the strongest memories from the tropical part of Ozzieland. Plus an American girl that was taken by a croc. The newspapers headline was. "Yank, taken by croc!". Horrible. She was on a yacht and they sailed into a bay and she was dipping her toes in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad