NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Scott Wheeler of the Athletic has his Mock draft out, and it reiterates how all over the place 15-45 will be.

He has 3 players I would be perfectly content drafting with with our first 2 picks, slotted 34, 35, 36.

34. Philip Tomasino — C/RW, Niagara IceDogs, 6-foot-0

Tomasino’s game is built for today’s NHL in that he plays with pace, he’s a threat in transition, he handles the puck lightly but not too long, he drives the slot, he finds pockets off the puck and he makes tough plays look easy. A little more upper body strength will go a long way to making him a more complete player as well. Though Tomasino is a natural centre, he spent a good chunk of the post-trade deadline season playing right wing with Akil Thomas due to the IceDogs’ overwhelming talent down the middle. Now that a decent chunk of the IceDogs core is poised to move on, Tomasino will become more of a go-to threat next year and I think he will handle it really well. The talent is there for him to become a productive, borderline line-driving top-nine forward at the next level.
35. Mortiz Seider — RHD, Adler Manheim, 6-foot-4

Playing as a 17-year-old for most of the year, Seider was a third-pairing defenceman on the DEL champs, alongside former Stanley Cup champions and a number of players who fashioned out impressive careers in the AHL and NHL. He’s one of those players who isn’t going to wow you with his offensive upside but has proven he has the skill needed to be more than a tough-minutes option who goes off the glass and out. His size (which still has room to become even stronger, believe it or not) and length define him but he also possesses OK puck handling ability, a wrist shot that has some whip and bend to it (he doesn’t use his slapshot all that often but his wrister comes in hard) and rapidly-improving skating to his game too. You can see that skating at play below (you’ll notice his legs splay from the knees, creating an awkward extension, but that there’s still a lot of power being generated to allow him to pull away).
And watch the way he closes out on a loose puck, uses his size to gain body position, powers up the right-wing boards and exits the zone with a cross-ice pass for a primary assist.
Or the way he again uses that size along the boards, this time in the offensive zone to protect the puck and send the shot on net for another playoff assist.
He’s reliable in his own zone, rubs carriers out along the wall and has the skill needed to escape and exit the zone with an outlet pass. Though I wouldn’t take him in the first round, I’m not going to be surprised when a team does.
36 Brett Leason — RW, Prince Albert Raiders, 6-foot-4

Sometimes, players just hit their growth curve at different times and their talent has to play catch-up to their body. Once Leason’s skating improved this season, his game took off because he does such a good job recognizing his teammates and he has the puck protection skill to hang onto the puck in all three zones until the right play opens up. He’s still not the fastest player on the ice but Leason’s skating no longer holds back the rest of his skill set. Had he played a full 68-game season (Leason missed a portion of the year due to the world juniors and another due to injury), Leason paced for 110 points. The scary part: He could still add some muscle without sacrificing that newly developed foot speed. Leason’s not going to leap directly into the NHL but I suspect that in time he’ll get there after a stint in the AHL. Powerful wingers with size and enough skill don’t come around all that often.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Two of those players above I think Ott should be able to get in this draft in Seider RD & Leason RW, two positions where they lack depth. I also like these two because both could go straight to the AHL next yr as soon as Ott drafts them. Seider is a European player & can play in the AHL now & Leason is an overager who is old enough to also go directly to the AHL. Both are big bodies so there will be no concerns about getting pushed around & Seider already plays with men & both would help Ott to accelerate this rebuild. IMO the 2019 draft has a great deal of possibilities for Ott with a number of very good players that could fill needs & improve the team. The 2020 draft hopefully could get Ott the elite talent they also need.

Last edited:
Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Scott Wheeler of the Athletic has his Mock draft out, and it reiterates how all over the place 15-45 will be.

He has 3 players I would be perfectly content drafting with with our first 2 picks, slotted 34, 35, 36.

34. Philip Tomasino — C/RW, Niagara IceDogs, 6-foot-0

Tomasino’s game is built for today’s NHL in that he plays with pace, he’s a threat in transition, he handles the puck lightly but not too long, he drives the slot, he finds pockets off the puck and he makes tough plays look easy. A little more upper body strength will go a long way to making him a more complete player as well. Though Tomasino is a natural centre, he spent a good chunk of the post-trade deadline season playing right wing with Akil Thomas due to the IceDogs’ overwhelming talent down the middle. Now that a decent chunk of the IceDogs core is poised to move on, Tomasino will become more of a go-to threat next year and I think he will handle it really well. The talent is there for him to become a productive, borderline line-driving top-nine forward at the next level.
35. Mortiz Seider — RHD, Adler Manheim, 6-foot-4

Playing as a 17-year-old for most of the year, Seider was a third-pairing defenceman on the DEL champs, alongside former Stanley Cup champions and a number of players who fashioned out impressive careers in the AHL and NHL. He’s one of those players who isn’t going to wow you with his offensive upside but has proven he has the skill needed to be more than a tough-minutes option who goes off the glass and out. His size (which still has room to become even stronger, believe it or not) and length define him but he also possesses OK puck handling ability, a wrist shot that has some whip and bend to it (he doesn’t use his slapshot all that often but his wrister comes in hard) and rapidly-improving skating to his game too. You can see that skating at play below (you’ll notice his legs splay from the knees, creating an awkward extension, but that there’s still a lot of power being generated to allow him to pull away).
And watch the way he closes out on a loose puck, uses his size to gain body position, powers up the right-wing boards and exits the zone with a cross-ice pass for a primary assist.
Or the way he again uses that size along the boards, this time in the offensive zone to protect the puck and send the shot on net for another playoff assist.
He’s reliable in his own zone, rubs carriers out along the wall and has the skill needed to escape and exit the zone with an outlet pass. Though I wouldn’t take him in the first round, I’m not going to be surprised when a team does.
36 Brett Leason — RW, Prince Albert Raiders, 6-foot-4

Sometimes, players just hit their growth curve at different times and their talent has to play catch-up to their body. Once Leason’s skating improved this season, his game took off because he does such a good job recognizing his teammates and he has the puck protection skill to hang onto the puck in all three zones until the right play opens up. He’s still not the fastest player on the ice but Leason’s skating no longer holds back the rest of his skill set. Had he played a full 68-game season (Leason missed a portion of the year due to the world juniors and another due to injury), Leason paced for 110 points. The scary part: He could still add some muscle without sacrificing that newly developed foot speed. Leason’s not going to leap directly into the NHL but I suspect that in time he’ll get there after a stint in the AHL. Powerful wingers with size and enough skill don’t come around all that often.

I'd be happy with any 2 of those 3 with our 1st 2 picks

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd be happy with any 2 of those 3 with our 1st 2 picks
Jeez, if Scott Wheeler was a more reliable predictor of how drafts turn out I'd consider trading back to land all three, but Wheeler is the kind of guy that has Merkley and Velano rated in the top half of the 1st last year and Tychonick at 17th oa while he had Foudy outside the 1st.

Reactions: Deku

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would certainly be interested to see who Wheeler has pegged in the 1st round if those 3 are on the outside looking in.

Truth be told, I kinda have my doubts any of them will even be available by pick #28.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I
Would certainly be interested to see who Wheeler has pegged in the 1st round if those 3 are on the outside looking in.

Truth be told, I kinda have my doubts any of them will even be available by pick #28.
Know in the past he was really high on Honka and had guys like Puistola, Alexandrov and Grewe in the 1st round. Not sure if that has been mainained in his latest list

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I
Know in the past he was really high on Honka and had guys like Puistola, Alexandrov and Grewe in the 1st round. Not sure if that has been mainained in his latest list

Nils Hoglander is 19th
Anttoni Honka is 20th
Patrik Puistola is 22th
Mikko Kokkenen is 23th
Maxim Cajkovic is 26th
Nathan Legare is 27th
Nicholas Robertson is 30th

Those are the guys who are ranked in his 1st that are not typically 1st rounders

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jackets have to re-sign Duchene no? If Panarin and Bobrovsky leave, they can’t afford to let Duchene go... so 19th OA this year and another first next year?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pierre Dorion must be breathing a sigh of relief.

Davidsson+Abramov+28-31 would have been a disaster.

Ideally, Dallas+San Jose advance, meaning we get the 18th overall pick since Dallas advancing bumps CBJ down one in the draft order.

Staying in the top 20 wasn't just important because we'll get a better player there, but it also puts us in a better position to trade up. We have lots of picks, we have the ability to take on insured LTIR type cap dumps. If we were bumped down to the end of the round, that becomes a lot more difficult.

Let's hope Duchene stays in CBJ so we can get that unprotected 2020 1st from CBJ.

Reactions: Riceroni

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Ideally, Dallas+San Jose advance, meaning we get the 18th overall pick since Dallas advancing bumps CBJ down one in the draft order.

Staying in the top 20 wasn't just important because we'll get a better player there, but it also puts us in a better position to trade up. We have lots of picks, we have the ability to take on insured LTIR type cap dumps. If we were bumped down to the end of the round, that becomes a lot more difficult.

Let's hope Duchene stays in CBJ so we can get that unprotected 2020 1st from CBJ.
I think there are enough options in the 15 to 20 range that we don't need to move up and it wil likely cost too much to get into that next tier.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think there are enough options in the 15 to 20 range that we don't need to move up and it wil likely cost too much to get into that next tier.

I'm hoping that the situation in FLA with Bobrovsky/Panarin potentially going there, and Luongo being active with a big cap hit can put us in a position to swap picks with them.

Either Luongo goes (hopefully insured) LTIR, and he is owed six figures after insurance for a few years. Or we buy him out for FLA, and we owe him six figures for a few years.

The way I've heard the draft characterized is that around the top 10, there is so much variety in lists, that teams might get lucky and be able to get a guy in their top 5 closer to 10. If we can get up to FLA's pick, then maybe it puts us into a creative position to use some of our draft stock to move up from 13 to 10 or a bit higher.

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
I'm hoping that the situation in FLA with Bobrovsky/Panarin potentially going there, and Luongo being active with a big cap hit can put us in a position to swap picks with them.

Either Luongo goes (hopefully insured) LTIR, and he is owed six figures after insurance for a few years. Or we buy him out for FLA, and we owe him six figures for a few years.

The way I've heard the draft characterized is that around the top 10, there is so much variety in lists, that teams might get lucky and be able to get a guy in their top 5 closer to 10. If we can get up to FLA's pick, then maybe it puts us into a creative position to use some of our draft stock to move up from 13 to 10 or a bit higher.
I think there is more chance of trading down than up but the greatest liklihood is that it is neither.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
18 is a great spot to be drafting. have a funny feeling that either kaliyev/brink will drop and I don't think there will be anyone better available at that point. it would be a reach for a dman at that point, if they're so intent on taking for need like a lot of you guys want them to seemingly they would most likely be trading down as i see things.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Walking away with Sieder and Leason in the top 32 would be amazing. As indicated - straight to Belleville.
I am hoping that, if they do move up its without including the 18/19th or 32nd. Player (Tierney or Ceci) and (Florida) 2nd to move into the 1st. Get another 1st. Quality not quantity as was said.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The mirror will be plastered with high five marks today

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
18 is a great spot to be drafting. have a funny feeling that either kaliyev/brink will drop and I don't think there will be anyone better available at that point. it would be a reach for a dman at that point, if they're so intent on taking for need like a lot of you guys want them to seemingly they would most likely be trading down as i see things.
Brink dropping puts him towards the 2nd, he's generally ranked lower than 18.

Kaliyev dropping puts him in the 20's, he's generally a 12-20 guy.

The D that may be available there in Heinola/Harley/Seider would be the better guys imo, disregarding need completely.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't think its a reach at that part of the draft necessarily. I think Seider could still be there, possibly Soderstrom will drop a little for RD.. for LD .. Heinola, Bjornfot, Robertson, maybe Harley would be there. So depends on how the Sens have them ranked. Afanasyev at forward would be another good choice around there. I suspect Lavoie will be gone.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Harley would be incredible. Reminds me a lot of Chabot.

I'd say we have no chance at getting him, but these same scouting staffs let Chabot fall to 18, so who knows.

Maybe if we deal CBJ 1st + 44th we could move up into the 12-14 range, where he could be available.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Harley would be incredible. Reminds me a lot of Chabot.

I'd say we have no chance at getting him, but these same scouting staffs let Chabot fall to 18, so who knows.

Maybe if we deal CBJ 1st + 44th we could move up into the 12-14 range, where he could be available.
The middle of the 1st looks really strong this year. I think we can get a real good player without moving up. Either way i think we will be happy

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd rather move up from 32 and/or 44 if it comes down to it.

#18: York/Heinola/Seider/Brink
Late 1st: Leason/Thompson/Brink
32/44: Thompson/Rees/Grewe/Fagemo
PIT 3rd: Goalie (Ellis/Sogard/Saville/Basran)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad