Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 4 - To Eberle or Not to Eberle - that is the question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Nylander actually shows up in the playoffs and was very impressive at the Worlds. I'd much rather have him then say... Kapanen.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
not sure nylander is exactly a gamer himself. hes for sure another tier skill level but a million in cap + say jokijarju? (wont come cheap) is tough to give up. for an extra 10 points? both scoring about .75ppg pace although nylander has shown he can do it consistently also age difference may be a factor as you will get more of nylander prime.
One of these players is 27 and broke into the NHL at age 22 and one of them was 22 at the start of last season. They’re in completely different arcs of their career to compare on raw point totals.

I would not give up Jokiharju, no. I think you might be able to get Nylander for a good value deal if teams know Dubas has his back up against the wall with this Marner situation and realistically can’t keep them both. If you can do something around one of Murphy/Gus/Beaudin with a plus that helps you much more in the long term than Hayes on a bad contract.

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
I did think Nylander was ok in the playoffs, however I would rather have Kapanen who can PK and play bottom 6 pretty effectively and is extremely fast. Also produces at even strength and doesn’t have to get a ton of PP time

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Problem with that is you have to trade very quality assets to get Kadri, where as you don't to get Hayes.

True but he is the better player, great cap hit and Leafs maybe take Gus as a replacement for Gardiner or maybe Forsling + as he seems to be the guy out

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Looks like Stan has a steak dinner date with Mitch on June 26

Live look into the future at Stan’s office T-1HR before the dinner date:

16FF6313-EE8D-4FB0-8B88-F977A418849F.gif

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Maybe try to work out trade with Leafs if we can talk to Marner about his willingness to sign an extension (11.5M AAV)

Leafs could use D help so Murphy could go in package (I know our D will be worse but our team with Marner longterm outweigh that) along with some futures (Several 1st round picks and maybe a prospect or two)

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

If we sign Marner to a 5 year deal rather than 6 or 7, which is what he wants, he becomes infinitely more attainable.

At $10,500,000 x 5 years, the compensation is:
2 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick

So we don't even have to cough up four 1st round picks. Two 1st round picks for Mitch Marner is nothing, and the 2nd and 3rd round picks are irrelevant.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kubalik-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Marner
Saad-Anisimov-Sikura
Caggiula-Kampf-Kahun
Perlini/Wedin

Keith-Jokiharju
Gus-Murphy
Byram-Seabrook
Dahlstrom/Forsling

Crawford
Delia/Lankinen

We're in the playoffs.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would offer up the Leafs

Murphy , Nordgren + 2020 1st + 2021 1st

To me that is more appealing then risk of a RFA compensation for Leafs. Murphy upgrades the Leafs D and is signed to 3 year deal

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Would you guys be open to moving Murphy for Kadri?

Both teams walk away filling need but also opening up hole in lineup. While moving Kadri for Murphy doesn't open up much for Leafs cap wise I suspect they would look to move cap elsewhere if they can acquire a RHD such as Murphy

Hawks then move AA for pick , prospect or both? Could then probably target Colin Miller with Vegas cap crunch to offset some of what we lose with Murphy (Miller isn't as good at PK for instance but has more talent offensively and is solid all around defender)

+ Kadri + Miller
- Anisimov + Murphy

Thoughts?

Could also look to flip Gus to team in need of PMD and try to land a upgrade defensively

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
OK, here's the plan for 2019/20 which also sets us up for 2020/21. The Hawks make 2 trades taking on (2) 1-year albatross contracts in order to help the trading partner with their Cap problem and the Hawks get a good player in return.

Trade#1: The Hawks take Nathan Horton's 1-year $5.3M (LTIR) albatross contract off Toronto's hande and send them Gustafsson to help them replace Gardiner on defense - The Hawks acquire the RFA rights to Kapanen and then sign him $5M x 5-years.

Trade#2: The Hawks take Ryan Callahan's 1-year $5.8M albatross contract off TB's hands and send them Anisimov in exchange for JT Miller. TB gets $6.5M cap relief (Callahan's $5.8M and the net difference between Miller ($5.25M) and Anisimov ($4.55M)).

Draft Byram. Re-sign Kampf ($1.5M), Sikura ($1.2M). Sign Byram ($1.0M), Kubalik ($1.0M)

Start the season with Sikura in Rockford which gets the Hawks right at $82.5M cap. Day#1 - put Horton on LTIR and bring Sikura up.

Sikura-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kahun
Saad-Miller-Kapanen
Caggiula-Kampf-Kubalik
Callahan

Keith-Jokiharju
Dahlstrom-Murphy
Byram-Seabrook
Koekkoek

Crawford
Delia

After the 2019/20 season: Callahan ($5.8), Horton ($5.3M) and Crawford ($6.0M) come off the books.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am sorry but if we are helping out Leafs by taking Horton there is no damn way you give away Gus in that deal as well just for Kapanen's rights

And as much as I love Kap as player (Remember I bitched and moaned when Stanley traded up for Schmaltz and I thought we were doing it for Kapanen) he is not worth 5M x 5 for 1 successful NHL season

Imagine if Hawks had given Hartman a 5M x 5 based on his play in 1st year up as regular

As for TB they will find someone for Callahan by giving up pick. No need for them to give Miller away and take on AA and his contract

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would offer up Gus to Habs to try and get #15

They are looking for LH PMD and can extend him

Hawks should not extend him as I believe several of our D prospects have higher upside and we shouldn't invest in Gus longterm. Like Schmaltz its best to move him before extension issue becomes issue

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
OK, here's the plan for 2019/20 which also sets us up for 2020/21. The Hawks make 2 trades taking on (2) 1-year albatross contracts in order to help the trading partner with their Cap problem and the Hawks get a good player in return.

Trade#1: The Hawks take Nathan Horton's 1-year $5.3M (LTIR) albatross contract off Toronto's hande and send them Gustafsson to help them replace Gardiner on defense - The Hawks acquire the RFA rights to Kapanen and then sign him $5M x 5-years.

Trade#2: The Hawks take Ryan Callahan's 1-year $5.8M albatross contract off TB's hands and send them Anisimov in exchange for JT Miller. TB gets $6.5M cap relief (Callahan's $5.8M and the net difference between Miller ($5.25M) and Anisimov ($4.55M)).

Draft Byram. Re-sign Kampf ($1.5M), Sikura ($1.2M). Sign Byram ($1.0M), Kubalik ($1.0M)

Start the season with Sikura in Rockford which gets the Hawks right at $82.5M cap. Day#1 - put Horton on LTIR and bring Sikura up.

Sikura-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kahun
Saad-Miller-Kapanen
Caggiula-Kampf-Kubalik
Callahan

Keith-Jokiharju
Dahlstrom-Murphy
Byram-Seabrook
Koekkoek

Crawford
Delia

After the 2019/20 season: Callahan ($5.8), Horton ($5.3M) and Crawford ($6.0M) come off the books.

I like the idea of using the cap space this way, the trades could use some tweeks. The great thing about Callahan is the Hawks have the money to trade him at the deadline at 50% retention and get another quality asset.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Would you guys be open to moving Murphy for Kadri?

Both teams walk away filling need but also opening up hole in lineup. While moving Kadri for Murphy doesn't open up much for Leafs cap wise I suspect they would look to move cap elsewhere if they can acquire a RHD such as Murphy

Hawks then move AA for pick , prospect or both? Could then probably target Colin Miller with Vegas cap crunch to offset some of what we lose with Murphy (Miller isn't as good at PK for instance but has more talent offensively and is solid all around defender)

+ Kadri + Miller
- Anisimov + Murphy

Thoughts?

Could also look to flip Gus to team in need of PMD and try to land a upgrade defensively
Murphy fills a bigger need for us than Kadri imo. (at least currently)

I would offer up Gus to Habs to try and get #15

They are looking for LH PMD and can extend him

Hawks should not extend him as I believe several of our D prospects have higher upside and we shouldn't invest in Gus longterm. Like Schmaltz its best to move him before extension issue becomes issue
This I would do.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lets say Stanley really does love Hayes and want him here in Chicago

Here is my latest Cap Friendly roster

- Trade Gus to Habs for 2019 1st round pick (15th overall)
- Trade Anisimov to Islanders for LW Logan Cokeril and Islanders 2021 4th round pick
- Trade Hayden + 2021 7th round pick to Lightning for RW Ryan Callahan + Lightning 2020 2nd round pick
- Sign UFA C Kevin Hayes (6 x 6M)
- Sign RFA's = Kampf 2 x 1.5M , Forsling 2 x 1.4M , Perlini 2 x 1.2M and Sikura 2 x 975k
- Sign Dominik Kubalik to ELC 2 x 925k (Naturally it will have bonus built in)
- Promote Jokiharju , Delia and Highmore to NHL roster fulltime

Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Strome-Kahun
Saad-Hayes-Sikura
Caggiula-Kampf-Perlini
(Callahan and Highmore)

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Murphy
Koekkoek-Seabrook
(Dahlstrom)

Crawford
Delia

With 81M cap (My guess) this leaves Hawks with 5.39M in cap room enough to make moves to roster if need be before season or during season
Forsling ends up this years Gus on a 2 yr deal to prove it

Thoughts?

Reactions: nmgrbhfn

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Lets say Stanley really does love Hayes and want him here in Chicago

Here is my latest Cap Friendly roster

- Trade Gus to Habs for 2019 1st round pick (15th overall)
- Trade Anisimov to Islanders for LW Logan Cokeril and Islanders 2021 4th round pick
- Trade Hayden + 2021 7th round pick to Lightning for RW Ryan Callahan + Lightning 2020 2nd round pick
- Sign UFA C Kevin Hayes (6 x 6M)
- Sign RFA's = Kampf 2 x 1.5M , Forsling 2 x 1.4M , Perlini 2 x 1.2M and Sikura 2 x 975k
- Sign Dominik Kubalik to ELC 2 x 925k (Naturally it will have bonus built in)
- Promote Jokiharju , Delia and Highmore to NHL roster fulltime

Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Debrincat-Strome-Kahun
Saad-Hayes-Sikura
Caggiula-Kampf-Perlini
(Callahan and Highmore)

Keith-Jokiharju
Forsling-Murphy
Koekkoek-Seabrook
(Dahlstrom)

Crawford
Delia

With 81M cap (My guess) this leaves Hawks with 5.39M in cap room enough to make moves to roster if need be before season or during season
Forsling ends up this years Gus on a 2 yr deal to prove it

Thoughts?

Not opposed to Hayes but 6x6 is a no go for me.
Also that D without Gus is even worse than last year.... our D needs to be better than last year and not worse.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't want Hayes but I am just putting it at that because

1) Bowman seems to want him
2) As UFA he will be overpay

As for D my expectation is that a kid (Boqvist or hopefully Byram) comes in camp and wins spot thus a guy like Dahlstrom goes away

And there really isn't much out there on UFA market on D (Unless we want to be stupid team that gives out awful Karlsson contract) and the defenders available around league like Trouba are not worth giving up the assets to acquire and the overpayment on contract demands he wants

Hawks will have to hope that Forsling finds consistency , Koek continues to develop and that Seabrook having lesser role helps. I do believe having Joker back up will be good for D

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Sikura-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kahun
Saad-Miller-Kapanen
Caggiula-Kampf-Kubalik
Callahan

Keith-Jokiharju
Dahlstrom-Murphy
Byram-Seabrook
Koekkoek

Crawford
Delia

Very plausible trades. Good job. WRT lines, looks great, except Kubalik shouldn't be on the 4th line.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Keith would be such a great addition to the Leafs. He really could win a Norris there next year and lead the Leafs to a Cup IMO. I hope the Hawks explore a trade for one of their forwards involving Keith. I wouldn’t mind keeping him, but it would be fun to see what he could do there and help us get a good young NHL player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Keith would be such a great addition to the Leafs. He really could win a Norris there next year and lead the Leafs to a Cup IMO. I hope the Hawks explore a trade for one of their forwards involving Keith. I wouldn’t mind keeping him, but it would be fun to see what he could do there and help us get a good young NHL player.

Keith could do well there but I think there is less than a 1% chance he would win a Norris there. By 1% I mean 0%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad