Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 4 (Assigned To Oilers Taxi Squad 5/2/21)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I like how this article describes the development of young D-men. One game they look like studs and the next game they wilt and get sent to the bench. Ditto for Broberg and so many other young guys.

I also like the comparison to Savard- if he's anywhere near as good then he's a long term keeper.

The AHL is the best proving ground for NHL prospects and next year the Oil will get some indication of what they really have. I hope Sammy will end up there too. I wonder how his surgery went?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I like how this article describes the development of young D-men. One game they look like studs and the next game they wilt and get sent to the bench. Ditto for Broberg and so many other young guys.

I also like the comparison to Savard- if he's anywhere near as good then he's a long term keeper.

The AHL is the best proving ground for NHL prospects and next year the Oil will get some indication of what they really have. I hope Sammy will end up there too. I wonder how his surgery went?
Yup, fine with Russell/Lagesson/Jones holding the fort as #3LD while Samorukov and Broberg get some games in AHL.

This is assuming Klefbom returns as #2LD or we extend Kulikov for a year

North

Jun 25, 2009

Just in case people start complaining about him not going to the AHL, apparently there have been some issues getting work visas in the US for players from Sweden (they tried to get one for Berglund and haven’t been able to so far) so they are bringing Broberg to Edmonton rather than deal with not being able to get a US visa for him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Just in case people start complaining about him not going to the AHL, apparently there have been some issues getting work visas in the US for players from Sweden (they tried to get one for Berglund and haven’t been able to so far) so they are bringing Broberg to Edmonton rather than deal with not being able to get a US visa for him.
Makes sense. Probably just going over to skate with the team I'm guessing?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Let him play the final game or two, why not. He'll be less nervous having had a actual taste on real NHL games going forward.

I mean, we haven't played Bouchard in months.

But Holland picked Broberg and didn't pick Bouch, so that I bet factors in.

A reminder too that our media has compared the following guys to each other:

Broberg - Serge Savard
Barrie - Paul Coffey
Nurse - Larry Robinson

With a D of Savard, Coffey and Robinson, with McDavid up front, 82-0 next season right? Three Hall-of-Famers back there.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Broberg - Serge Savard
Barrie - Paul Coffey
Nurse - Larry Robinson

With a D of Savard, Coffey and Robinson, with McDavid up front, 82-0 next season right? Three Hall-of-Famers back there.
I think it was reported the Red Wings would have taken Bouchard if Zadina was off the board. Holland is a fan of both players.

I think I’d go Broberg - Bouchard in that final Vancouver game. Why tf not.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Broberg - Serge Savard
Barrie - Paul Coffey
Nurse - Larry Robinson

Naw, Holland and Tippett are in the business of creating a winning franchise which they've been pretty good at pretty quickly. They could have walked away from Puljujarvi who they didn't draft and taken pennies on the dollar for this blue chip prospect and didn't. Bouchard's potential is high and valued. Just circumstances that he is stuck behind a right d group that's part of a high performing team fighting for a home ice playoff spot.

Not sure who in media is making the comps you provide but ... gulp. Holy Hyperbole Batman. Not sure of the context though.

Getting Broberg to North America and under team control is critical. With covid limiting his travel options, I view this a good thing to get him to Edmonton, into a winning culture and initiating some high quality NHL practices to kick start the next phase of this blue-chipper's development.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
People forget that Bouchard and Broberg have already played games in Europe. It is not like Holland has sat them for a full year

Reactions: Mr Positive

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I can understand them wanting to bring broberg straight to the team and leaving him on the taxi squad for the playoffs rather than calling someone else up from the AHL squad right now. Getting to be around for a playoff run could be big for him too.

That said, I still fully expect him to be a full time AHL player next year with Bouchard being in the NHL full time and Samorukov getting a cup of tea.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Wonder what the plan for him is. Hes had a pretty rough year. Lots of injuries. I doubt he plays.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Perfect spot for him. Let him come in for the playoff run and practice with the taxi squad. Give him a game or two down the stretch here if it makes sense to do so along with Bouchard to give some guys a rest on the back end. It would be a nice test run to give him some perspective next year in the AHL to know what parts of his game he really needs to work on to make the jump.

I love it, this team finally has a nice steady flow of potential NHL prospects coming through Bakersfield. Next up should be bringing Blumel to the AHL next season. I also wonder if they look at bringing Rasanen over.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Perfect spot for him. Let him come in for the playoff run and practice with the taxi squad. Give him a game or two down the stretch here if it makes sense to do so along with Bouchard to give some guys a rest on the back end. It would be a nice test run to give him some perspective next year in the AHL to know what parts of his game he really needs to work on to make the jump.

I love it, this team finally has a nice steady flow of potential NHL prospects coming through Bakersfield. Next up should be bringing Blumel to the AHL next season. I also wonder if they look at bringing Rasanen over.
Do you know if Samorukov will be coming over to NA next season? It looks like Konovalov will be at least.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Let him rest then he needs to hit the weight room. We've seen he's remarkably fit now he needs to get up around 215 lbs. He isn't going to make the NHL as a beanpole.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you know if Samorukov will be coming over to NA next season? It looks like Konovalov will be at least.
I think it's likely he will be but haven't heard anything. He signed a 1 year deal in the KHL which expires after this season, and he's set to be the top pairing LHD in Bakersfield with a chance to get some NHL games given how well he played defensively in the KHL.

I'd expect him and Broberg to be the top pairing to start in Bakersfield next year, as Broberg often plays the right side.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I highly doubt they use 1 of the 2 remaining callups on Broberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad