Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 4 (Assigned To Oilers Taxi Squad 5/2/21)

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I don't get the sky is falling type of posts regarding Broberg. Its way too early to count out a young d man like him. Its as stupid as the ones who blasted JP calling him a bust and failure. Broberg is still young and raw. Good grief.

It's like if he doesn't have a Heiskanen-like impact in his draft +2 it was a waste of a pick. I'm not worried about Broberg. We can take our time with him seeing as how we have Nurse, (maybe) Klefbomb, Jones, Lagesson, and Samorukov ahead of him.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Not worth a direct response. I can see the script on this.

Purposely misinterpret post. Go on and on about it. Hope for a rise. Rinse repeat.

No where do I even imply that Zegras should be playing in the NHL period. For shame my lames.

Took me a while to realize that people do this lol.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This thread got a little weird.

People overreact with prospects Good and bad CONSTANTLY.

Play in camp Broberg looked pretty decent and people were screaming fry high heavens that he is totally NHL ready, ready to jump in right now, easily our best prospect and has sky rocketed above Bouchard and stuff. Now he is a third pairing limited use guy in Sweden again. And people calling him a bust.

Broberg is trending fine. He isn't NHL ready like some people were sure of and he isn't a bust. At this point arguing if he was the right pick at that spot is kind of tired. We picked him at the spot, doesn't matter who else was there.

Now the question is, is Broberg on a path to develop to being a guy worth spending a first on? At this moment it's too hard to tell. He has had a rough year overall. Some highs, some lows and tons of injury.

This was a guy that even when he was drafted you could tell it would take him a while. He hadn't been playing defense all that long, had good physical attributes but his hockey skills were still a big work in progress. This is a guy that I tbink will be a slow burn cause his physical abilities cover for a lot but when the going gets tough and plays against men like he has, his faults get more wildly shown.

Now will he be an NHL player? Who knows. Can we say he is going to be a surefire top pairing NHL D? He hasnt shown close to enough to make that statement. Is he going to be a bust? Hasn't shown enough to make that statement either.

Broberg is what he is right now. A young player playing bottom pairing limited minutes in a pro League. Hopefully he is able to take another step this summer.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
This thread got a little weird.

People overreact with prospects Good and bad CONSTANTLY.

Play in camp Broberg looked pretty decent and people were screaming fry high heavens that he is totally NHL ready, ready to jump in right now, easily our best prospect and has sky rocketed above Bouchard and stuff. Now he is a third pairing limited use guy in Sweden again. And people calling him a bust.

Broberg is trending fine. He isn't NHL ready like some people were sure of and he isn't a bust. At this point arguing if he was the right pick at that spot is kind of tired. We picked him at the spot, doesn't matter who else was there.

Now the question is, is Broberg on a path to develop to being a guy worth spending a first on? At this moment it's too hard to tell. He has had a rough year overall. Some highs, some lows and tons of injury.

This was a guy that even when he was drafted you could tell it would take him a while. He hadn't been playing defense all that long, had good physical attributes but his hockey skills were still a big work in progress. This is a guy that I tbink will be a slow burn cause his physical abilities cover for a lot but when the going gets tough and plays against men like he has, his faults get more wildly shown.

Now will he be an NHL player? Who knows. Can we say he is going to be a surefire top pairing NHL D? He hasnt shown close to enough to make that statement. Is he going to be a bust? Hasn't shown enough to make that statement either.

Broberg is what he is right now. A young player playing bottom pairing limited minutes in a pro League. Hopefully he is able to take another step this summer.

Nope. Broberg may be a bust, or, he may be great. He might even turn out to be just OK.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He should not be in that league if he wants to develop.

Both of our top two D prospects are sitting on their asses or playing down the lineup. Guys need to actually play the game, play huge minutes, play in all situations and come to the NHL team full of confidence.

The SHL though not an awful league is hardly near the NHL and if the guy is a big time prospect he should be doing much better.

Lol did you see how Klefbom did in that league? Before coming here?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid isn't going to sign here if we can't prove to be a legit cup contender (win one, or get to the finals at least once) in the next 4 years. The same is true of Drai. Talents like them are judged in the history books by how many cups they have, and they know it. If we don't already have a cup or a couple really deep runs (conference finals or further) by the time those contracts are up, we can say bye-bye to both of them. Winning *now* is paramount, both for our short term success (obviously), but our long term success as well.
True but you don't need to trade Broberg /Holloway/Bouchard to win now.
Rakell doesn't put us over the top and wingers like him would be available via free agency.

Reactions: Dempsey

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You have had so many posts slamming Broberg and pumping Zegras where you talk about how we should have taken Zegras as he’s going to be a stud in the NHL this year, comparing the impact he would have made to like what Barzal did for the Islanders.

you sure jumped off that wagon quick.

Just so everyone recalls, he was adamant that Nurse was garbage. Up until perhaps this year. Clearly has an issue actually evaluating players. Of course, he doesnt watch. More of a boxcar guy.

I think there is a lot of confusion at the moment over who is who about saying stuff.

I could be wrong but I don't believe I was on the Zegras is the next Barzal. I absolutely did want him over Broberg though. Also don't believe I said he was going to be awesome this year.

Also have always been a Nurse fan. Not sure if I am the one who is being accused of something there? Add a high pitched questioning finish to that sentence.

I think in the last day or two a lot of people have been mistaking me for one or two other people.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Klefbom did have some injury troubles too.
They played about the same amount per game both years. Defensively I'd say Klefbom was better but Broberg is better offensively.

That said Klefboms big question was always if his injuries would prevent him. Brobergs big question is will his hockey IQ catch up with his physical skills. If/when he makes the NHL it'll most likely be 3 seasons from now. Yes Klefbom played NHL games in his +3/4 seasons but that was out of necessity. That and he was doing very well in his +4 season, but our team had nothing for defense so that helped too.

Broberg, if he makes it, we are looking at most likely the 23/24 season

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I should have framed it differently. I meant Aerchon's hate for Klef with Marincin, and Raabharts hate for Nurse lol.

Their some serious dejavu with the Klefbom and Broberg postings.

I was never really against Klefbom "that much", I just thought Marincin would be better, especially with his injuries and terrible defense at the start of his career. Never imagined Klefbom could grow so much on the defensive side of the puck. Was very impressive and I've been a fan of his for a long time now.

Hopefully Broberg follows a similar trend and pleasantly surprises down the road, albeit without the injuries. I don't hate the player I just hate the pick.

Reactions: McFlyingV

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think there is a lot of confusion at the moment over who is who about saying stuff.

I could be wrong but I don't believe I was on the Zegras is the next Barzal. I absolutely did want him over Broberg though. Also don't believe I said he was going to be awesome this year.

Also have always been a Nurse fan. Not sure if I am the one who is being accused of something there? Add a high pitched questioning finish to that sentence.

I think in the last day or two a lot of people have been mistaking me for one or two other people.
Trying to downplay how hard you pumped Barzal’s tires since the draft is interesting...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

In his second year pre injury he was getting big minutes, albeit in just 11 games. However, in the previous year he was named to WJC all star team and top 3 player on the gold medal winning team

Its hard to judge Broberg based on SHL years because of the limited ice time. But I also do not think its a good idea to compare Broberg/Klefbom- Klefbom had just about everything go right in his development. 90% of D prospects do not have everything go right in development

Just because Klefbom also had limited points in the SEL, but did well in the NHL- doesnt mean every D prospect will follow suit who has similarly low point totals but were drafted high.

I do think Broberg will have a Jack Johnson-like career, and this is not a knock, JJ played many seasons in the NHL. A guy who will get a ton of hype coming into the NHL because of his athleticism and raw tools, who will play in the NHL for many years but after year 5 or 6, the hype will wear off

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I was always pretty lukewarm on Broberg since the draft.

After his "amazing camp" I was still lukewarm.

After his WJC... Lukewarm

After his season in the SHL, still lukewarm.

Nothing has changed to me. He's still an athletic, raw Dman to me. We wont see if he works for years to come. Still wish they had taken a more NHL ready player though.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I was always pretty lukewarm on Broberg since the draft.

After his "amazing camp" I was still lukewarm.

After his WJC... Lukewarm

After his season in the SHL, still lukewarm.

Nothing has changed to me. He's still an athletic, raw Dman to me. We wont see if he works for years to come. Still wish they had taken a more NHL ready player though.

Doesn’t seem to be many NHL ready players from that draft yet.

Reactions: oilers'72

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Doesn’t seem to be many NHL ready players from that draft yet.

You're right now that I am looking at the draft.

Zegras is probably the closest. Maybe Caufield.

You think Zegras would have already got a look with Mcdavid this year? Im leaning towards yes.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You're right now that I am looking at the draft.

Zegras is probably the closest. Maybe Caufield.

You think Zegras would have already got a look with Mcdavid this year? Im leaning towards yes.

Maybe. Still not sure he’s physically ready for the NHL.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
In his second year pre injury he was getting big minutes, albeit in just 11 games. However, in the previous year he was named to WJC all star team and top 3 player on the gold medal winning team

Its hard to judge Broberg based on SHL years because of the limited ice time. But I also do not think its a good idea to compare Broberg/Klefbom- Klefbom had just about everything go right in his development. 90% of D prospects do not have everything go right in development

Just because Klefbom also had limited points in the SEL, but did well in the NHL- doesnt mean every D prospect will follow suit who has similarly low point totals but were drafted high.

I do think Broberg will have a Jack Johnson-like career, and this is not a knock, JJ played many seasons in the NHL. A guy who will get a ton of hype coming into the NHL because of his athleticism and raw tools, who will play in the NHL for many years but after year 5 or 6, the hype will wear off

Broberg was playing top 4 minutes in his first 11 games before his injury, he got big minutes at the WJC and was top 3 Dman in the tournament before the injury. Notice how the constant is the injury? Maybe let him recover from it. 90% was before but scouting and developing has gotten different now. Are you kidding me man? Jack Johnson? Scouts had him going #1 in that Draft. Broberg was nowhere near that.

I can't wait to see the haters faces when they are wrong about Broberg just as much they were wrong about Nurse. I'm not saying you are a hater. But some of these things that are being said about a 19 year old Dman is astounding lol

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad