Prospect Info: [2019 - 15th] Cole Caufield (NCAA - Univerisity of Wisconsin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
d3db724e0260ed88c2be8da906a26e61_album_1480936820.jpg

September inter squad scrimmage.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Caufield reminds me alot of Martin-St-Louis in term of size, IQ, quickness and offensive awarenesses...

Last edited:

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Caufield reminds me alot of Martin-St-Louis in term of size, IQ, quickness and offensive awarenesses...

St-Louis was built like a tree stum, strong as an ox, let’s wait and see how Caufiled handles nhl physicality. If he’s 50% of St-Louis, it’s an outstanding pick.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I’m not sold on this unless he grows. Player that size has to go against all odds to have any success. Don’t care what he did against lesser talent. I hope I’m wrong.

You might not care what he did against lesser talent but literally everyone else does seeing as that’s how you evaluate talent

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The "why" is the height, lets not kid ourselves, its basically the only knock
He was projected around 15 ANYway, and then the U-18 rolled around, the very same tournament that boosted Kotkaniemi's stock, and in turn the tourney becomes a big measuring stick for most scouts leading up the draft

Caufield just so happened to score 14 goals in 7 games, ho-hum, tying Ovechkins record.yawn.
....These sort of things just dont happen by accident.
So a top 10 pick, and possible top 5 if he was "taller", falls into our laps at the DREADED position of 15th aka "the place you end up when you finish 9th and miss the playoffs and miss out on the BEST picks of the draft"

So again, just getting anything at 15 is a major bonus.... getting this kid at 15? I dont think there exists a word yet!

Its all about perspective.
To put things in perspective, Christopher Higgins was a pretty decent pick at 15th overall. At that slot you shouldn't expect to be pulling superstars or players with superstar potential.

Of course it happens (Sakic and Karlsson were drafted around here) but it's not expected. I'm glad we took the shot on elite talent. If he busts and Newhook or whoever go onto fortune and glory TT will be roasted and that's fine. But I like this pick. The talent is worth the risk in this case.

Sure would be nice if he had a little growth spurt though. :laugh:

I actually had a buddy who was always the smallest in the class. Then all of a sudden at 18 he grew to six feet. Just crazy. It's not common but it does happen. Even if he grew just a bit it would help. 5'9 is a heck of a lot better than 5'7.

Reactions: Redux91

ginomini

May 25, 2014
What I really like about Caufield is not just how he picks corners, he does way more than that. You see goalscorers every year who simply overpower the goalies like Kaliyev or Wahlstrom last year.

Caufield is smart, he outsmarts the goalies all the time. The biggest testament to that is the amount of goals he scores five hole. It is incredibly hard to beat a goalie five hole because its not about power, its about speed, timing and understanding the goalies movements.
You see the most intelligent players beat goalies five hole all the time, Kucherov, Crosby, Gaudreau, etc.

Compared to lesser goalscorers like Camalleri or Galchenyuk who miss the net quite often because the always try to pick corners.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

From the highlights I saw, Caufield reminds me of Cammalleri. He's a pure goal scorer, with the shot and release to fill the net.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
St-Louis was built like a tree stum, strong as an ox, let’s wait and see how Caufiled handles nhl physicality. If he’s 50% of St-Louis, it’s an outstanding pick.
You are right, Caufield will have to develop his strength and power to become something similar to St-Louis, but he already is powerful enough for a small 18 yrs old kid, what let me think its not impossible he becomes almost as explosive as St-Louis was..

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The problem is not Caufield's size.... It's the overall lack of size on the Habs roster. But that can be fixed. It's already happening at center with KK and Poehling. + our little guys have lots of heart and skills - Domi, Gally and Byron. The D, besides Mete, is big enough too.

A few inches taller is not "size" from an NHL perspective.

It's irrelevant unless, in addition to height, you also have physicality and weight.

Did "size" matter for JDLR? Domi owned him when he was with Zona and made him play smaller than he already plays. That's useless "size".

KK is not size that matters. He's just tall which is is OK, he's not expected or needed to be physical. Poehling is the better example of size, he uses his size in a manner that KK doesn't. Nor does KK need to do that, that's not what he's counted upon to do.

I would argue that Poehling is the kind of "size" that the Habs are short on.

I think you need some of it and you can find it. A player that owns the type of scoring acumen of a Caufield is a much more rare thing and should be valued accordingly.

Wow we really have the worst fanbase.

You just now figured it out? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Where they were drafted or whether they went undrafted shouldn't matter. What does matter is that these guys, despite their size did not hinder them at all.

And Cole Caufield, despite his size, just.scores.goals!

Watch what happens at the draft following Caufield's first season as an NHLer. That'll tell you all you need to know about how pervasive height-based bias might still be.

he can but I highly doubt he would be there next season.

What would you guys peg Caufield's ETA at? Is a year from now unreasonable?

If you had a choice between Zadina and Caufield, who would you want for the Habs?

Caufield. Quite ironically, he's also the one who is most likely to deliver on that "filling the nets" promise that Zadina made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So how many goals in the NCAA should we expect next year

I'd say the bar is set at 20 unfortunately lol, less would not be the end of the world, but more than 20 and we have something special here

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
i hope he kills it at the prospect camp, rookie camp, and the main camp and pulls a kotkaniemi!!!

I did think that in the back of my mind but didn't dare say it, lol. You just never know how quickly that kind of skill and talent can transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad