GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 12 • Group A: CAN (3) - USA (4) F/SO

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As I have stated before I think this years version of team USA is the best in the tournament. Canada is a couple of notches below them.

The US has the biggest advantage of anyone in the Under 17 and Under 18 tournaments as they're actual teams that they send. Obviously that helps them in the under 20.

The USNTDP is the best development program anywhere. The training, the comradeship both on and off the ice is second to none. I'm convinced if Canada had a similar set up the recent downturn in success at the tournaments would not be as bad.
Last years gold medal game IMHO Canada outplayed the US but as we've seen in years past the best team doesn't always win.

All that said one thing I have noticed is the determination level of the US players, especially against Canada. Americans do not like losing....the original reason for the USNTDP.

The US puts much more emphasis on skating and puck control. Hockey Canada, like the Edmonton Oilers are run by a bunch of old boys club buffoons. Until that group is outed and progressive training procedures are introduced we're not going to improve.

It helps that Gary and his bunch of merry owners gives USA hockey millions a year for their program.

Reactions: BruinsNeedaRussian

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
As I have stated before I think this years version of team USA is the best in the tournament. Canada is a couple of notches below them.

The US has the biggest advantage of anyone in the Under 17 and Under 18 tournaments as they're actual teams that they send. Obviously that helps them in the under 20.

The USNTDP is the best development program anywhere. The training, the comradeship both on and off the ice is second to none. I'm convinced if Canada had a similar set up the recent downturn in success at the tournaments would not be as bad.
Last years gold medal game IMHO Canada outplayed the US but as we've seen in years past the best team doesn't always win.

All that said one thing I have noticed is the determination level of the US players, especially against Canada. Americans do not like losing....the original reason for the USNTDP.

The US puts much more emphasis on skating and puck control. Hockey Canada, like the Edmonton Oilers are run by a bunch of old boys club buffoons. Until that group is outed and progressive training procedures are introduced we're not going to improve.

It helps that Gary and his bunch of merry owners gives USA hockey millions a year for their program.

Well since the NHL is a US based league why wouldn't they? Also the NHL gives millions to hockey Canada, so don't cry like Canadians are being robbed to help US hockey development at the expense of their own programs.

Reactions: derriko

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
US is a diverse country where a small portion of the population has a rink in their town,

Yep, Canada has 8,300 rinks available (3,300 of which are indoors) compared to 2,535 in the US(1,535 indoors).

That means that there's 1 rink for every 4,412 people in Canada, while in the US there's a rink for every 126,706 people.

That's a helluva lot more access to ice time.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Payback is a ***** and there's a whole lot of payback comin your way.

Hahaha what does this even mean?
What has a few WJC golds translated to?
Olympic gold? No
World Cups? No
World championships? No
We heard the same song and dance after the ‘96 World Cup.
The American domination is coming. Right.
Congrats on your shootout win.

Reactions: SpoolCat

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I see this argument made a lot by you guys or is it an excuse? It might be a valid point if hockey was as popular in Mississippi as it is in Minnesota but we all know it's not. In fact Minnesota is the only place where hockey comes close to being what it is in Canada.

It’s the same thing as people talking about Marshawn Lynch playing hockey.

My response to that is imagine if we had the US population.

That’s all.

They are the same argument.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Olympic gold? No
World Cups? No
World championships? No

It's all fun and games while the giant sleeps but when the giant awakes the hurting begins.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
It’s the same thing as people talking about Marshawn Lynch playing hockey.

My response to that is imagine if we had the US population.

That’s all.

They are the same argument.

Tell that to schnapshot who made the claim that our population alone should mean we have a much better team.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Olympic gold? No
World Cups? No
World championships? No
I think U.S. is getting very close to being at the same level as Canada. The U.S has won gold 3 times since 2010 while Canada has only won gold once in the same time frame, and if you look at the Under 18 Tournament then its not even close.

So I would say the U.S. is on its way to overtaking Canada.
Here are the Under 18 WJC results
0pgutN6.png

Reactions: Lancer

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think U.S. is getting very close to being at the same level as Canada. The U.S has won gold 3 times since 2010 while Canada has only won gold once in the same time frame, and if you look at the Under 18 Tournament then its not even close.

0pgutN6.png

The real question is whether it translates to senior results where the advantage of an arguably superior national development program is eliminated.

We shall see.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The real question is whether it translates to senior results where the advantage of an arguably superior national development program is eliminated.

We shall see.
Yep time will tell, things like that take time but it appears that USA hockey is beginning to produce consistently good players.

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes

0pgutN6.png
Under 18's clash with the CHL playoffs, restricting the roster. Ivan Hlinka results speak for themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad