GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 12 • Group A: CAN (3) - USA (4) F/SO

DrMuffinStuffin

Sep 21, 2017
Ice was rough yesterday and will likely have an impact and make it less predictable. What speaks for Canada is US not having had a rest, coming into this tourny US seemed to have the best team but after yesterday... hmm... they must be pissed though.

I'd never get a ticket for that game, did you guys see the distance from the seats to the ice? Pass.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't know why there is such resistance to this event. The kids will love it and its the 1st game over 10K in attendance. I expect the first 10 minutes to look like they are playing with a tennis ball due to ramped up emotions, but they will settle in.

The USA will have a strong showing after last night, but Canada takes a close one!

For me the resistance comes from the fact that the outdoor game really increases the chances for random things to affect the outcome of the game and changes the competitive balance of the game. This is a huge game for both teams and to have a likelihood that the conditions, not players, affect the outcome is a pretty crappy scenario.

When you combine that with the fact that outdoor games are now run of the mill so it isn't like this is a cool event or something worth f'ing with the competitive balance of the game and it just makes zero sense to me. Now I also get jack squat from the money which is 100% of the reason that they are doing this so really there is no benefit to me or any other fan.

If it had been US-Slovakia or Denmark I would probably have less of an issue as those games aren't nearly as important as this one but that wouldn't generate as much money so of course they wouldn't do one of those games.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What's wrong with you, guys? The outdoor ice is the birth place of this beautiful game of men. And no indoor multimillion flashy gimmick multi-purpose cash register venue named by this or that sponsor to carry that or this silly name (voiced at least 20+ times by the announcer during a broadcast) can ever even come close to the atmosphere of an authentic outdoor classic.

There was a reason for my (unfortunately lady like) gf to ask me suddenly "why didn't we go there, Jack?" -I turned to her baffled, enjoying silently the sight for a second, and said: "Are you serious, you are not even that much into hockey, eh what??" And she goes on and says quite honestly: "I know but that looks fun!" pointing to the tv screen cute smile on her aristocratic face. "Well, next time then:, I answered rolling my eyes and thinking "Women, women - they are the salt of life."

So, sorry being this literal, my message is: Chill out. Dress up properly, warmly and cosily, and go to watch and enjoy the real thing, good ol outdoor rink hockey drinking hot tea or juice spiced with ginger and lemon on the stands while little snow flakes slowly float on your shoulders and your breathing makes magical clouds on your face.

And take your not so hockey girlfriends with you!

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Outdoor game is a good idea to attract attention to this tournament

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I don't think that I would have a problem with the weather (dress for the weather), it's trying to watch the game. Your best seats are comparable to nose bleeds in a normal arena, not enough beer to make it enjoyable if you are in the second deck! That's just me I guess, as there are many that would really enjoy themselves.

Muskie2479

Dec 31, 2014
At the rink!
For me the resistance comes from the fact that the outdoor game really increases the chances for random things to affect the outcome of the game and changes the competitive balance of the game. This is a huge game for both teams and to have a likelihood that the conditions, not players, affect the outcome is a pretty crappy scenario.

When you combine that with the fact that outdoor games are now run of the mill so it isn't like this is a cool event or something worth f'ing with the competitive balance of the game and it just makes zero sense to me. Now I also get jack squat from the money which is 100% of the reason that they are doing this so really there is no benefit to me or any other fan.

If it had been US-Slovakia or Denmark I would probably have less of an issue as those games aren't nearly as important as this one but that wouldn't generate as much money so of course they wouldn't do one of those games.

I agree the weather and ice conditions can play a factor, but it is equal. Also, you over estimate the "hugeness" of the round robin games in the format of this tournament. Especially for teams the caliber of Canada & US.

The facts that the tournament is about $$$ or that Canada moved pools to accommodate this game, I have no arguments.

I watch 150+ games a season live so I look forward to very few. This is one of them!

Reactions: Back in Black

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brown is out. Knee
This should have been a pre-tournament game ... should not play a meaningful game in a short tournament outside.. the conditions will have an impact on the type of game that can be played.. Its not about the cold for me its the ice conditions ,. if it is chippy and ruts up that could cause issues and in the worst case injuries

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How did they schedule one team to play the late game last night and the other to have a day off?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I agree the weather and ice conditions can play a factor, but it is equal. Also, you over estimate the "hugeness" of the round robin games in the format of this tournament. Especially for teams the caliber of Canada & US.

The facts that the tournament is about $$$ or that Canada moved pools to accommodate this game, I have no arguments.

I watch 150+ games a season live so I look forward to very few. This is one of them!

The winner of this game likely avoids the Swedes until the final, avoids facing the Russians in the QF and could have a basically free run to the finals with the Czech/Finland winner as the toughest game. That is a pretty huge advantage. Plus for the US if they did lose to the Finns that could mean 4th and a QF game against Sweden.

Yes the conditions are the same but that doesn't mean that bad bounce or slip will happen equally for each team.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Not concerned about the outdoors/indoor debate, same conditions for both teams. More concerned about USA hockey scheduling their team to play until 10:30 EST on Thursday and turn around and play at 3:00 on Friday. If Canada had this schedule it would be an international incident.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I used to get fired up and super nervous for these Canada-USA games. Marc-Andre Fleury's flub in 2004 and John Carlson's OT winner in 2010 really stung at the time. Last year's shootout loss in the gold medal game was a big "meh". This year I barely care at all. There's zero star power and they've gone to an outdoor rink gimmick. The ice is going to be terrible and the Americans will have ~19 hours rest since the end of their last game. Tough to imagine a great game today.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
The winner of this game likely avoids the Swedes until the final, avoids facing the Russians in the QF and could have a basically free run to the finals with the Czech/Finland winner as the toughest game. That is a pretty huge advantage. Plus for the US if they did lose to the Finns that could mean 4th and a QF game against Sweden.

Yes the conditions are the same but that doesn't mean that bad bounce or slip will happen equally for each team.

I'm honestly more afraid of the Czechs this year than the Russians. The best part is avoiding Sweden.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I used to get fired up and super nervous for these Canada-USA games. Marc-Andre Fleury's flub in 2004 and John Carlson's OT winner in 2010 really stung at the time. Last year's shootout loss in the gold medal game was a big "meh". This year I barely care at all. There's zero star power and they've gone to an outdoor rink gimmick. The ice is going to be terrible and the Americans will have ~19 hours rest since the end of their last game. Tough to imagine a great game today.
I mean both games you mentioned were gold medal games....so obviously they were more important games lol feel like you are just stuck in hindsight.

Reactions: SpoolCat

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not concerned about the outdoors/indoor debate, same conditions for both teams. More concerned about USA hockey scheduling their team to play until 10:30 EST on Thursday and turn around and play at 3:00 on Friday. If Canada had this schedule it would be an international incident.
USA hockey made the schedule. Holy shit! That doesn’t fit the narrative at all...

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm honestly more afraid of the Czechs this year than the Russians. The best part is avoiding Sweden.

I think the Russians have much more potential for an upset in a one game elimination. I know the Czechs beat them but I have seen too many times from the Russians that they look terrible and then turn it on.

I think realistically both should get beat by Canada (or US) anyways but would much rather take my chances with the Czechs in a one off game.

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
I think the Russians have much more potential for an upset in a one game elimination. I know the Czechs beat them but I have seen too many times from the Russians that they look terrible and then turn it on.

I think realistically both should get beat by Canada (or US) anyways but would much rather take my chances with the Czechs in a one off game.

It's classic Russia to scrape by the group stage and then come from behind to win in the 3rd period for the elimination games!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad