GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 12 • Group A: CAN (3) - USA (4) F/SO

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why on earth would they play this on 3PM on Friday? It just makes no sense. The vast majority of the potential audience will probably be working, right?(It should be a normal workday over there too?) In my opinion, it'd have made far more sense to schedule this for tomorrow if they wanted to play while the sun is still shining, and for that it'd be much better to have it at 1PM at the latest. 3PM is too late for that.

I don't get it. The attendance will likely be terrible.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Kinda messed up how the Americans don't even get a 24 hour break.

Even more odd that USA Hockey made the schedule. It's a bit confusing.

I don't know what to expect with this game, as random as I expect it to be, so I won't bother hazarding a guess. Should be a pretty random game and I'm a bit annoyed that it's almost a wasted opportunity to work on issues that have been in Canada's game to this point. Hopefully none of the defencemen are further injured.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin
Sep 18, 2009
Wait, so you are complaining about the time of day the game is played while making fun of the event for being crap? Why don't you just not watch it?
Why don't they just have a proper matchup inside a rink during primetime instead of this gimmick?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What? 40 thousand people are going to watch junior hockey, outside in Buffalo, AT 3PM?

Those stands are going to be really empty.

Muskie2479

Dec 31, 2014
At the rink!
I don't know why there is such resistance to this event. The kids will love it and its the 1st game over 10K in attendance. I expect the first 10 minutes to look like they are playing with a tennis ball due to ramped up emotions, but they will settle in.

The USA will have a strong showing after last night, but Canada takes a close one!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Even more odd that USA Hockey made the schedule. It's a bit confusing.

I don't know what to expect with this game, as random as I expect it to be, so I won't bother hazarding a guess. Should be a pretty random game and I'm a bit annoyed that it's almost a wasted opportunity to work on issues that have been in Canada's game to this point. Hopefully none of the defencemen are further injured.

There are 3 things I want from this game:
1. a win, but it's not overly critical given the circus nature of outdoor games.
2. no injuries as all games after today will be the important games.
3. it kills any notion in the greedy minds of Hockey Canada people to replicate this next year in Vancouver/Victoria.

The boycott is on. The boys didn't play well enough for me to lift my boycott of gimmicks.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What? 40 thousand people are going to watch junior hockey, outside in Buffalo, AT 3PM?

Those stands are going to be really empty.
My thoughts exactly. I was shocked to read they expect 40k. I'd be impressed if they filled 5% of that.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
1. a win, but it's not overly critical given the circus nature of outdoor games.
2. no injuries as all games after today will be the important games.
3. it kills any notion in the greedy minds of Hockey Canada people to replicate this next year in Vancouver/Victoria.

The boycott is on. The boys didn't play well enough for me to lift my boycott of gimmicks.

1. No injuries to either side, the cold may play a factor in the ice conditions.
2. A win would be nice.
3. Hopefully this is the first and last outdoor game at the WJHC, perhaps an exhibition game, too much at stake for a prelim game.

Reactions: Channelcat

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Weird that the US just played last night and they're playing again this afternoon, but whatever, go Murica!

Reactions: Kyndig

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As usual between these teams at this thing it will be a close game, I will go 4-3 Canada if the defense is not too banged up.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Weird that the US just played last night and they're playing again this afternoon, but whatever, go Murica!

It is weird, especially because the US made the schedule. It was also weird to go with Woll last night instead of rotating, which means most likely Jake is facing Canada, cold.

On other topics, I’m looking forward to this “gimmick” and I hope it snows during the game to give it that extra sprinkle of nostalgia. I think these outdoor games are mostly overdone and tired, but with certain matchups they are worthwhile, this would be one of them for me.

Also want to give Buffalo some respek, as a Leafs fan and Hamiltonian i’m very familiar with Buffalo, and I mostly hate you because of Hockey, but you are a real-deal hockey town where so few exist in the states, I think there will be no issues with having that stadium filled.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's all about money, we all know that, but at least if you are a hockey fan you should take it in and enjoy the spectacle. It's something that has never been done.
I wish it never was done, period. You don't have to do dumb things just because it's not been done before. Outdoor games are such for me.

They have always been an infinitely worse watch than a normal game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad