2018 whl bantam draft

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
TSCHIGERL is not only a great hockey player but according to my son who spent a week training and playing hockey with him, he is also a really nice guy. Wong, Stankoven, Chiasson, Sward and many others were also there. Fun to watch them all play against each other!!

My son has played with Tschiggy both winter and spring hockey, great kid and great family!

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
That's really awesome for Sean and his family. Every so often I hear about kids and /or parents that that are just bad news and no one wants them because of it.

Haha! Happens all too often. In my opinion, Tschiggy could fit in anyhwere, him or his family. There are kids or families out there in all age groups that would have a more difficult time making teams due to their "issues" even though they may be studs on the ice. It shows that organizations, coaches etc, are wise enough to know that even though the kid may be incredible, it is in the best interest of the team to not be involved with kids or families with issues. Shows true coaching intellect right from the get go.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Haha! Happens all too often. In my opinion, Tschiggy could fit in anyhwere, him or his family. There are kids or families out there in all age groups that would have a more difficult time making teams due to their "issues" even though they may be studs on the ice. It shows that organizations, coaches etc, are wise enough to know that even though the kid may be incredible, it is in the best interest of the team to not be involved with kids or families with issues. Shows true coaching intellect right from the get go.

I feel bad for the kids that it happens to. I'm not so sure the kids truly understand it until it is to late. For that matter I can't imagine how a parent must feel after all is said and done. Looking back and realizing what you did must be painful. Hind sight is always 20/20 I guess though.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hmm So what you are saying is that since no 2003's have played for them yet how can they be listed with ND beside their names if they haven't even played there yet. Makes sense.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does
Anyone have an opinion on PCAHA (Pacific Coast) VS SHA (Saskatchewan) for 2003's?
My feeling is PCAHA is becoming very watered down with all the Academies in BC where as I am unaware of how many Academies there are in Saskatchewan or the level of tier 1 bantam hockey as compared to PCAHA in BC

everywhere in BC is bad now due to all the academies. North, Okanagan, Coast and Island is becoming terrible hockey now due to everyone going to academies. Its too bad to see these former good minor hockey associations becoming terrible.

Even if a family doesn't have much money to afford sending their kids to one, they make it easier for them by charging less for certain guys

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
I feel bad for the kids that it happens to. I'm not so sure the kids truly understand it until it is to late. For that matter I can't imagine how a parent must feel after all is said and done. Looking back and realizing what you did must be painful. Hind sight is always 20/20 I guess though.

I do as well. Hindsight is a ***** for sure. But speaking as a reformed "crazy dad", there is hope. After I was informed of my craziness of yelling at refs, ribbing coaches etc....I guess you could say awakened... I was able to turn things around since then. Its been a good three or four years without those issues anymore and I am no longer standing in my kids way due to my belligerence. I guess what I am saying is that it can be turned around. i'm thankful some good buddies made me aware of my faults!

Reactions: bukwas

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
everywhere in BC is bad now due to all the academies. North, Okanagan, Coast and Island is becoming terrible hockey now due to everyone going to academies. Its too bad to see these former good minor hockey associations becoming terrible.

Even if a family doesn't have much money to afford sending their kids to one, they make it easier for them by charging less for certain guys

This statement is very accurate! There are kids ( Families) paying full pop while others have extremely good deals... but this is a reflection of these schools need to run as a business, which means that this will happen more often than not. I am not making excuses, just stating reality i guess.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
I do as well. Hindsight is a ***** for sure. But speaking as a reformed "crazy dad", there is hope. After I was informed of my craziness of yelling at refs, ribbing coaches etc....I guess you could say awakened... I was able to turn things around since then. Its been a good three or four years without those issues anymore and I am no longer standing in my kids way due to my belligerence. I guess what I am saying is that it can be turned around. i'm thankful some good buddies made me aware of my faults!
It speaks volumes about you admitting that especially on the internet. My son had terrible coaches last year and a lot of people were pretty upset but of course I had to be the one that verbalized it!! LOL I didn't flip out and swear at them or tell them how to coach during games or anything. I did however let them know what some of the issues and concerns myself and other parents had. I was pretty upset so I was pretty intense when talking to them.
I have yelled at my kid to while he was playing a few times. Nothing derogatory or anything but none the less even yelling to encourage them seems out of place now.
I use to go to a lot of the local Junior A BCHL games a few years back and boy did I yell then!!! At the refs players anybody and everybody just for fun, good and bad stuff. BAHAAHA People loved it but I had no one related to me playing.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
This statement is very accurate! There are kids ( Families) paying full pop while others have extremely good deals... but this is a reflection of these schools need to run as a business, which means that this will happen more often than not. I am not making excuses, just stating reality i guess.

I have heard the usual stuff If the kids are stars they play for nothing or close to it. Depending on how bad they want your kid, is your kid a good fit for what they need etc. Business as usual. One of the Academies speaking to us now has dropped their price a lot but it's still a few thousand to much for me to make monthly payments on. Not sure if they are willing to help anymore or if my son is wanted bad enough to slash anymore off but we'll see.

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Back to business. A goalie 2003 starting to gain attraction standing at 6'3" ,whom the politics of Minor Hockey have not treated fairly as I am sure we are all aware of happens quite frequently to lots of players, is Mason Beaupit. He was in some great exposure camps this summer and people took notice of his great play against top BC prospects.
Another 2003 Goalie is Joe Maillett although he is short he has great agility, speed and strength. He was at the Western Top Prospects Showcase in Regina and selected to play in the top game with the top kids from the showcase. Joe plays for Langley.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
It speaks volumes about you admitting that especially on the internet. My son had terrible coaches last year and a lot of people were pretty upset but of course I had to be the one that verbalized it!! LOL I didn't flip out and swear at them or tell them how to coach during games or anything. I did however let them know what some of the issues and concerns myself and other parents had. I was pretty upset so I was pretty intense when talking to them.
I have yelled at my kid to while he was playing a few times. Nothing derogatory or anything but none the less even yelling to encourage them seems out of place now.
I use to go to a lot of the local Junior A BCHL games a few years back and boy did I yell then!!! At the refs players anybody and everybody just for fun, good and bad stuff. BAHAAHA People loved it but I had no one related to me playing.

Thank you. Most importantly the change had to happen in order to not damaged my sons potential. As far as anyone was concerned, that was the game changer, they could always kick me out of the rink etc but the effect it had on the boy was worse.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
I have heard the usual stuff If the kids are stars they play for nothing or close to it. Depending on how bad they want your kid, is your kid a good fit for what they need etc. Business as usual. One of the Academies speaking to us now has dropped their price by $11,000 but it's still a few thousand to much for me to make monthly payments on. Not sure if my son is wanted bad enough to slash anymore off but we'll see.
On a side note when Notre Dame was speaking with us and my son mentioned Academies to his mom, my ex, she told him yes he could go as long as I paid for it, which I always have when it comes to his hockey or other sports. She then sends me court papers stating she does not agree and she wants more money from me.!!!! LOL
Children first right!!!

Totally agree with the above. We never thought we would go the academy route as others with older boys who have done quite well stated we didn't have to... that my sons ticket was already punched. This year we were approached by numerous schools and offered plenty of different rates.... If things were not so messed up with the bantam draft last season and also with so many other kids going to academies, we probably wouldn't have done it. But a lot of kids were going, and the clubs were looking more watered down. After denying a number of schools, we did decide on one and the boy is extremely excited, my wallet not so much! So I guess in a way we did jump on the bandwagon, but I also feel that this season he will see a ton of development and the full level of play that MAY not be offered in the city clubs. There are other bonuses as well; no hockey in the evenings which gives him a chance to focus on studies or even other activities (maybe basket weaving), a strong work ethic is implemented in these schools which is a life long lesson, travelling with the team and coaches without any parent involvement...sets them up for future independence. Things like that are something to look forward to.
I feel for you with the whole ex wife run around... I cant even pretend to imagine the stress involved. My wife put her foot down when looking at academies... there was no way in HE-double hockey sticks that our son was going out of province in grade 9. So that helped make the decision of where he is going this season. Happy wife= happy life I am told.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Back to business. A goalie 2003 starting to gain attraction standing at 6'3" ,whom the politics of Minor Hockey have not treated fairly as I am sure we are all aware of happens quite frequently to lots of players, is Mason Beaupit. He was in some great exposure camps this summer and people took notice of his great play against top BC prospects.
Another 2003 Goalie is Joe Maillett although he is short he has great agility, speed and strength. He was at the Western Top Prospects Showcase in Regina and selected to play in the top game with the top kids from the showcase. Joe plays for Langley.

Two goalies that I have not heard of... very interesting. Goalies are a different breed and they do seem to develop a tad later. The size myths are debated constantly online, but much of that has to do with the stats in the NHL in the last decade with going with the larger goalies. I lie watching the goalie prospect predictions for the 00-04 birth years as time goes by...many of the kids that were never on the radar before seem to all of a sudden shine and are noticed. At the same time, a few of the strong young goalies have virtually dropped off the face of the earth over the few years.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Totally agree with the above. We never thought we would go the academy route as others with older boys who have done quite well stated we didn't have to... that my sons ticket was already punched. This year we were approached by numerous schools and offered plenty of different rates.... If things were not so messed up with the bantam draft last season and also with so many other kids going to academies, we probably wouldn't have done it. But a lot of kids were going, and the clubs were looking more watered down. After denying a number of schools, we did decide on one and the boy is extremely excited, my wallet not so much! So I guess in a way we did jump on the bandwagon, but I also feel that this season he will see a ton of development and the full level of play that MAY not be offered in the city clubs. There are other bonuses as well; no hockey in the evenings which gives him a chance to focus on studies or even other activities (maybe basket weaving), a strong work ethic is implemented in these schools which is a life long lesson, travelling with the team and coaches without any parent involvement...sets them up for future independence. Things like that are something to look forward to.
I feel for you with the whole ex wife run around... I cant even pretend to imagine the stress involved. My wife put her foot down when looking at academies... there was no way in HE-double hockey sticks that our son was going out of province in grade 9. So that helped make the decision of where he is going this season. Happy wife= happy life I am told.

Wow that"s awesome. Your son is a lucky boy and you must be happy as well. The development will be way better, the time to focus on school and the whole experience itself will be amazing for your son as you are well aware. It's really hard on my son having practice's or game's every night after school and trying to get all his homework done. Such is life though. There's nothing I can do.

The whole ex- wife thing has caused a lot of problems for my son over the years and more pain than anyone can imagine for me until it happens to them or someone close to them in most cases unfortunately.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Two goalies that I have not heard of... very interesting. Goalies are a different breed and they do seem to develop a tad later. The size myths are debated constantly online, but much of that has to do with the stats in the NHL in the last decade with going with the larger goalies. I lie watching the goalie prospect predictions for the 00-04 birth years as time goes by...many of the kids that were never on the radar before seem to all of a sudden shine and are noticed. At the same time, a few of the strong young goalies have virtually dropped off the face of the earth over the few years.

Yes goalies are a different breed and their parents for that matter. A goalie parent I am friends with see's the game from a whole different perspective than I do as well as see's part's of the game I never even think about. It's pretty informative sometime's.
Kids change so fast at these ages. Lots will pursue other interest's soon and lot's will start to take it more seriously. Their skills and abilities will also change drastically for a lot of them.

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
What's everyone's opinion on NAX? I think they are looking pretty strong. Lochlan Gordon is committed to be their goalie. My question is how the 2 04's they have will adjust. I also think G.Sward, although he is at #20 right now, I believe his stock is going to rise a fair amount. I would also imagine St.Georges one team should be cleaning house in Varsity this season.

1 Carson Lambos D Rink
2 Logan Stankoven F Yale
3 Sean Tschigerl F OHA
4 Eric Alarie F Rink
5 Zack Stringer F
6 Cole Sillinger F OHA Penticton
7 Trevor Wong F St. Georges
8 Dylan Guenther F NAX Academy
9 Corson Ceulmans RD OHA Edmonton
10 Matt Smith LD Delta
11 Hudson Thornton D Rink
12 Tristan Zandee F Airdrie Xtreme
13 Brett Hyland LW NAX
14 Kobe Verbicky F Yale
15 Nolan Allan D Humboldt Broncos
16 Ty Mueller F Airdrie
17 Jake Chiasson F Yale

Last edited:

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
What's everyone's opinion on NAX? I think they are looking pretty strong. Lochlan Gordon is committed to be their goalie. My question is how the 2 04's they have will adjust. I also think G.Sward, although he is at #20 right now, I believe his stock is going to rise a fair amount. I would also imagine St.Georges one team should be cleaning house in Varsity this season.

1 Carson Lambos D Rink
2 Logan Stankoven F Yale
3 Sean Tschigerl F OHA
4 Eric Alarie F Rink
5 Zack Stringer F
6 Cole Sillinger F OHA Penticton
7 Trevor Wong F St. Georges
8 Dylan Guenther F NAX Academy
9 Corson Ceulmans RD OHA Edmonton
10 Matt Smith LD Delta
11 Hudson Thornton D Rink
12 Tristan Zandee F Airdrie Xtreme
13 Brett Hyland LW NAX
14 Kobe Verbicky F Yale
15 Nolan Allan D Humboldt Broncos
16 Ty Mueller F Airdrie
17 Jake Chiasson F Yale

NAX has shaped up to be a pretty good team on paper. Although set rosters are not out yet for some of the teams, including NAX, what we see so far shows an organization that is planning to compete this year while building for next year. They actually have two of the top three rated 04 forwards with Savoie and Zimmer, two players that compete very well as 04's. It's difficult to see them as 04's when they hold their own among 03's. NAX also has Guenther, Hyland, Ostapchuk,Degraves, Ciona, taschuk, and others on forward. On the back end you see Lajoie, Romanchuk, Dumelli and Ashcroft as well as others. Goalie wise, Loch Gordon committed to NAX after a season of Bantam AAA where he played the most minutes of any other goalie in the AMBHL, and he did that as a first year. Last I heard he carried a 2.89 GAA and .920 save percentage. He now stands 6' tall and 160 lbs and from what I have heard, has been training off ice on his strength and endurance. Rumors are flying on his tandem goalie partner, which could see the likes of Albers, Tebbit or Lam. But last I heard Lam is committed to CAC.
To finalize their roster, I think NAX needs to fill in another top end Dman to even out the strength on the back end. But they look to be a very competitive team going into their first year of bantam prep.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
NAX has shaped up to be a pretty good team on paper. Although set rosters are not out yet for some of the teams, including NAX, what we see so far shows an organization that is planning to compete this year while building for next year. They actually have two of the top three rated 04 forwards with Savoie and Zimmer, two players that compete very well as 04's. It's difficult to see them as 04's when they hold their own among 03's. NAX also has Guenther, Hyland, Ostapchuk,Degraves, Ciona, taschuk, and others on forward. On the back end you see Lajoie, Romanchuk, Dumelli and Ashcroft as well as others. Goalie wise, Loch Gordon committed to NAX after a season of Bantam AAA where he played the most minutes of any other goalie in the AMBHL, and he did that as a first year. Last I heard he carried a 2.89 GAA and .920 save percentage. He now stands 6' tall and 160 lbs and from what I have heard, has been training off ice on his strength and endurance. Rumors are flying on his tandem goalie partner, which could see the likes of Albers, Tebbit or Lam. But last I heard Lam is committed to CAC.
To finalize their roster, I think NAX needs to fill in another top end Dman to even out the strength on the back end. But they look to be a very competitive team going into their first year of bantam prep.
Wow sounds stronger than I even initially thought. Could be a dark horse this year that takes Everybody by surprise!!!??
I was told today that a goalie,Cole Savage from the Abbotsford Hawks, is Now a Delta hockey academy assigned to their top Bantam Prep team.

Last edited:

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Lochlan Gordon Loc'r as they like to call him Looks formidable for sure aand so does their D-man Lajoie at 6' 190lbs

Lajoie will be the backbone of the D on NAX. Much like Matty Smith will be on Delta. That being said, a whole bunch can change over the summer and some of these players will be much different than they were last season. There will be some surprises!

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Lajoie will be the backbone of the D on NAX. Much like Matty Smith will be on Delta. That being said, a whole bunch can change over the summer and some of these players will be much different than they were last season. There will be some surprises!
Yes there quite often are a few kids that no one has really heard of and have slipped under the radar. Then they all of a sudden seem to come out of nowhere and have people shaking their heads in disbelief that the kid was over looked and/or buried in some Minor Hockey Association or just finally came into their own. While it may not happen a whole lot when it does it's usually a pretty good story. I have to admit I love underdogs. When they fight and work their ***** off to become noticed/successful it just seems so much more rewarding for them!! LOL

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
This was a good read.. Looking forward to this season, hope all of you continue to keep this thread up to date on what's going on around the WHL draft.

Maybe it's just me, but this draft seems really strong. Having had the opportunity to see most of the players in the ranking a few posts above ^^ at a spring tournament here in Winnipeg this summer, it will be fun to follow them this year. I was really impressed with Sillinger and Stankoven, and have liked Alaries game for a few years now.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
This was a good read.. Looking forward to this season, hope all of you continue to keep this thread up to date on what's going on around the WHL draft.

Maybe it's just me, but this draft seems really strong. Having had the opportunity to see most of the players in the ranking a few posts above ^^ at a spring tournament here in Winnipeg this summer, it will be fun to follow them this year. I was really impressed with Sillinger and Stankoven, and have liked Alaries game for a few years now.

It does look like a very strong crop of talent. Should be an exciting season to watch. With the increase in number of teams in the CSSHL, its going to be even more exciting IMHO.

Pedro44

Aug 25, 2017
Goalies on the radar from the CSSHL

What does the goalie situation look like for the CSSHL in the 2018 draft? What programs have goalies on the radar? Anything from Rink, ND or Yale?

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
What does the goalie situation look like for the CSSHL in the 2018 draft? What programs have goalies on the radar? Anything from Rink, ND or Yale?

Tyler Brennan from MB is the goalie for Rink. One of the (if not the top) top ranked goalies in western Canada.. everything you would want in a goalie. Tall and very athletic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad