OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Big game tonight, not 100% sure the Caps should be playing Bolanos so quickly and I'm not sure this is a good game for him to play in. But we'll soon see! Surprised Davies can't get in the starting line up though.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Caps have not looked good tonight. Williams looks completely off at right back, probably because he hasn't played for a while. But Bolanos slows the game down (already have seen it twice). There's a time and place for it, but the Caps depend on a quick counterattack to be successful. That's not Bolanos anymore.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Jesus Christ what a save on Montero's free kick. That's a goal 98 times out of 100. Even though the boys are getting outplayed I feel like they're still in this.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
As much as I think he'd be important trying to get a goal, I think the ref might be waiting to send Reyna off. If I'm Robinson, I recognize this ref isn't given him the benefit of the doubt on most challenges. Give Techera and Davies some time for Bolanos and Reyna.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
These games are a bit tough to swallow, because despite the recent results the Caps never really give you the impression they're fully in control. And then when they play a rival (who is supposed to be "struggling"... and much like "good form" in MLS you're never actually far from the mean) and look more or less outclassed, you start questioning everything that has gone right lately.

Reactions: Hagstrom

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
These games are a bit tough to swallow, because despite the recent results the Caps never really give you the impression they're fully in control. And then when they play a rival (who is supposed to be "struggling"... and much like "good form" in MLS you're never actually far from the mean) and look more or less outclassed, you start questioning everything that has gone right lately.

I'm more than willing to overlook this game because the Caps have just played awful tonight. I turned it off after the 2-0 goal because I was getting frustrated with the poor control over the ball.

As much as he helped us last year, Bolanos should be let go. He doesn't fit in the Caps counter-attack strategy anymore.

The Caps need to be better on the weekend as they can't start losing now.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Wow what a save by Marinovich. Waston is having himself a shocker so far hasn't put a foot in right yet.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Liking the look of Marinovic. Looks really solid and composed. Think he'll be our starter next season when Ousted moves on.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Liking the look of Marinovic. Looks really solid and composed. Think he'll be our starter next season when Ousted moves on.

He's made a couple of good saves thus far, though been a bit lucky that both were right at him. The Caps are looking awful this game, currently says that we have just over 24% possession (and I think that's been generous). Caps need more of the possession otherwise they're going to tired by the end of the game.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
A moment of brilliance from Hurtado (wouldn't have been my first guess at scoring). Reyna really needed to bury that breakaway. Yes, playing against 10 would make it easier, but winning 2-0 would be better.

Feilhaber completely embellishes to get Bolanos sent off though.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Tuned in for the final 20 min. Surprised to see the Caps pull it off in KC but they look dreadfully overmatched. 3 games in 7 days will do that though..secured a playoff spot, but hopefully we can finally go far this year.

Toledo still god awful. Zusi did not deserve that red as Reyna dove/lost his footing despite having an open net. Then he gives Bolanos a red card which I assume was a make-up for the other red.

How does this guy still ref MLS matches?

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Huge win. The Whitecaps were very lucky to make it out of the first half even with SKC but they really improved defensively in the second half. I would have liked to have seen them capitalize on one of their counter attacks after SKC started really pushing for an equalizer.

I didn't get a great look at either red card but Bolanos' looked harsh to me and I never actually saw any contact on the one Reyna drew. We're they both clear reds?

Not a fan of trying to waste time even if it would be a key victory. Shows disrespect for the game.

I only really agree about Mezquida's display. Everything else was pretty benign an only seemed worse because it followed Mezquida's episode.

Stormblessed

Jul 4, 2009
Victoria
Huge win. The Whitecaps were very lucky to make it out of the first half even with SKC but they really improved defensively in the second half. I would have liked to have seen them capitalize on one of their counter attacks after SKC started really pushing for an equalizer.

I didn't get a great look at either red card but Bolanos' looked harsh to me and I never actually saw any contact on the one Reyna drew. We're they both clear reds?

I only really agree about Mezquida's display. Everything else was pretty benign an only seemed worse because it followed Mezquida's episode.

Couple things, I genuinely have no issue with the Whitecaps killing the game down there as I've been to a couple SKC games in Vancouver and KC was brutal for time wasting, so doing so on their pitch I think is fair game.

With regards to the reds the one on Zusi was purely due to Reyna having a clear unimpeded path to the goal, if there's someone else back it's maybe a yellow due to being from behind but could very well have been left as a foul alone. The Bolanos red was an atrocious call, he had his arm up which the league is trying to crack down on so I would have completely understood a yellow, but a red was much too harsh and looked to be nothing more than a makeup call.

Either way the Whitecaps managed to settle in a bit after a brutal first half and made for an enjoyable second half to watch, hopefully we won't have to play Seattle and we may have a chance at doing some damage in the playoffs.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Didn't see the game, but a fantastic result.

SKC on the road is a huge victory.

The Timbers lost, too, so 1st seed is still in their grasp.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Don't like Davies in the middle, you generally want to distribute the ball from the middle, not lose possession by hanging onto it.

Surprised Mezquida didn't get the start ahead of Davies in that central role.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
That was ugly, but what can you expect being down Waston, Reyna, Techera etc and having to play on the road with a foreign formation. Not worried.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Got some help with Houston beating SKC tonight, means we're ahead by 3 points with nobody having a game in hand. 4 points from our last two games will clinch 1st in the west.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Got some help with Houston beating SKC tonight, means we're ahead by 3 points with nobody having a game in hand. 4 points from our last two games will clinch 1st in the west.

Since the first tie-breaker is number of wins, I believe we only need 3 points out of our last 2 matches to clinch 1st. If we finish on 54 points, in that case, SKC could still match our point total but we've already got 15 wins and the most they can get is 14.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Since the first tie-breaker is number of wins, I believe we only need 3 points out of our last 2 matches to clinch 1st. If we finish on 54 points, in that case, SKC could still match our point total but we've already got 15 wins and the most they can get is 14.

You're right, I was going off goal difference as that is usually the tie breaker.

Win one and clinch home field advantage for the playoffs (hopefully the game on Sunday as my nieces are going to that and I'd like them to enjoy a Caps win!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad