WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Motzko continues to place the worst goalie out of the three and that's what you get.

That seems unfair, Woll was just as good as Parsons last go round and isn’t the reason the US lost this game. He actually made a fantastic save on the last goal before the rebound found its way in, the fact the entire team was walked in order for that to even happen isn’t on him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
no better D available than hughes ?
WTF is with these comments? It's only one game. The entire team was bad, and Hughes was bad too. But he was the only defenseman generating any offense all game long. He' s a very good player who had a bad game, much like all the other good players who had bad games tonight.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
That seems unfair, Woll was just as good as Parsons last go round and isn’t the reason the US lost this game. He actually made a fantastic save on the last goal before the rebound found its way in, the fact the entire team was walked in order for that to even happen isn’t on him.

Woll made some great saves throughout the game. Some of them point blank in the slot. US defense, as a whole, was pretty awful at times.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Credit where due. Slovaks had an excellent game plan - take few risks, keep play to the outside in the d-zone, exploit opponent's mistakes, minimize rebound chances, utilize size in possession battles - and executed to perfection.

We played well enough to win, and would have 9 times out of 10. The Keystone Kops routine on the winning goal was brutal, but sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Full credit to slovakia, they played a great defensive game and jumped on our stupid mistakes.

But it is what it is now. I still like this group. Hopefully Brown's ok. I just hope the boys wake up pissed off tomorrow and take it out on Canada

Reactions: Master P

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If today works out, the Slovak game won't matter. (that's a pretty big "if" but it's true)
The Slovak game basically takes away your room for error. Because right now the options are pretty much wide open, if you guys bounce back in a huge way 1st place is still there....If you lose to Canada and Finland 4th is sitting there for you guys and a(awesome) quarter final with Sweden. I am actually really interested to see how this group responds to the loss.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
On a night when there wasn't a lot of positive - I'll bring up William Lockwood. I thought he played a strong bottom six game, strong skater who was buzzing while the rest of the team (Poehling's line aside) was asleep. Wouldn't mind seeing him play with a Mittlestadt to see if they can exploit his speed on the wing or if Lockwood can generate some turnovers for the creative players.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Why are people being so hard on Hughes?
Because he got pushed around hilariously easily and cannot win puck battles, has zero defensive IQ, makes bad reads, and for all the talk of his offensive ability the vast majority of the time he had with the puck he went to the weak areas and took soft wrist shots that either missed or were easily saved. Fox is essentially an upgraded version of him (Hughes will likely be there when he is that age), so people are mad that he didn’t get the opportunities that Hughes did. That one play Fox made where he drew every single Slovakian player to him then made a cross-ice tape-to-tape pass for a fantastic scoring chance was incredible.

hockeypuck9399

Nov 23, 2017
Maine
I watch all 3 play in hockey east a lot and Woll is the worst of the bunch and his stats reflect that.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

The 1st Slovak goal was pretty weak.

He's not solely to blame but the crease should be Oettinger's the rest of the way.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The 1st Slovak goal was pretty weak.

He's not solely to blame but the crease should be Oettinger's the rest of the way.

Let’s atleast see how he fairs today before giving him the net for good. Woll was awesome last year against Canada, I’d of rather Oettinger got the Slovaks.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
talk of his offensive ability the vast majority of the time he had with the puck he went to the weak areas and took soft wrist shots that either missed or were easily saved..

Bit more of the same tonight so far, a few turnovers when in good positions or needing to clear the zone. Seems a little overwhelmed.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
On a night when there wasn't a lot of positive - I'll bring up William Lockwood. I thought he played a strong bottom six game, strong skater who was buzzing while the rest of the team (Poehling's line aside) was asleep. Wouldn't mind seeing him play with a Mittlestadt to see if they can exploit his speed on the wing or if Lockwood can generate some turnovers for the creative players.

Best American player, again, in the first period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad