NHL Entry Draft 2018 Tank Thread | Why Not Us? Why Not Now? | Sens Finish 30th, TOP 5 PICK GUARANTEED

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Woahhhh Wahlstrom looks like he is going to be a stud,

Similar numbers to Kyle Connor in his draft year. Both in the US national development program.

I'm happy with either but man I have a feeling Boqvist is going to be elite. I woudln't even be mad if the sens took him over Zadina at 3rd if it comes to it.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder what 5v5 means in relation to the PK and MAN ADVANTAGE concepts. Its not running Ceci into the ground to relay factual stats resulting from his play. People can make up their own minds. Lots of us here have watched pretty damned near every game for a couple of years... I think there is enough information to make your own mind up based on what we've watched. Ceci having the worst CA in the league .. doesn't paint a complete picture but it tells you ... when he's out there other teams are feasting. And its not a bad month or a week or two... its for the whole year

Agreed but the goalies have been not just bad, but terrible all yr as well & when you play as many minutes as Ceci does it is to be expected that you are likely going to be on the ice when your goalie lets in one stinker after another. And it's not just Anderson but Condon has been equally as bad & we could argue that the defence has been terrible or the forwards have been terrible & all of that is right. Which brings me back to my original point which is when everybody on this team has been terrible why signal out one guy continuously?

Yes, Ceci's stats are terrible but so is everybody else's stats on this team in a yr where they are the 2nd worse team in the league. Players who play the most are most likely going to have the best stats on a winning team & the worse stats on a losing team. Ceci makes a lot of mistakes no doubt, but who is the better option on this roster to replace him as the 2nd pair RD? IMO it's also how this coach deploys him & he deserves some blame as well & they have three rookies on defence & Claesson is in his second yr. Chabot gets a lot of praise for his offence but few realize how many mistakes this guy makes defensively & how often the coach puts him on the ice in a favourable position mostly in the offensive zone. Ceci is usually deployed in defensive zone faceoffs along with Boro or Harpur which I imagine those two also have some bad stats while Karlsson, Chabot & Wolanin are usually deployed on offensive zone faceoffs. I would imagine that how players are deployed would skew results & stats in either a favourable or unfavourable way. It's not an excuse but could be some reasons for the numbers.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I'm happy with either but man I have a feeling Boqvist is going to be elite. I woudln't even be mad if the sens took him over Zadina at 3rd if it comes to it.
Ya people say he will be similar to the next EK, just needs to ripen. I feel like it is a win-win whomever we take with our first first.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Wahlstrom/Boqvist/Dobson
Tkachuk

If we drop to 5th/6th I’m fine with Tkachuk but that top 5 looks pretty good.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'll actually cry after all this Boqvist/Dahlin, Zadina Vs Svech talk we end up with Dobson. I rather give the pick away at that point.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Is this actually going to be the worst season the Sens have had?

This is probably the worst Senators seasons the modern team has ever had.

There have been much worse seasons on paper in the expansion era, but the expectations were that the team would not be competitive.

I am not trying to portray this as a team that was seen as a contender, but with the team coming off of 1goalwayfromthecupfinal™ and making perhaps the biggest single player acquisition in franchise history when we acquired Matt Duchene; The team being this bad is a humongous disappointment, and it helps frame this season as the worst the modern team has ever had.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like Dobson as well but not at 3 OVR.
I have him in the mix for 4th OA, but if I'm being honest, Zadina sometimes slips into that group. I tend to really put and emphasis on skating, and it's one of those cases where that gets picked out as shortcoming for Zadina relative to the rest of his skillset, and despite it not actually being a weakness, gets temporarily characterized in my minds eye into something more than it is.

If we really are high on Dobson and wouldwant to draft him as high as 3rd, I hope we trade back and pick up something extra.

Reactions: branch

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I have him in the mix for 4th OA, but if I'm being honest, Zadina sometimes slips into that group. I tend to really put and emphasis on skating, and it's one of those cases where that gets picked out as shortcoming for Zadina relative to the rest of his skillset, and despite it not actually being a weakness, gets temporarily characterized in my minds eye into something more than it is.

If we really are high on Dobson and wouldwant to draft him as high as 3rd, I hope we trade back and pick up something extra.

Skating is literally the most easily improved skill. I wouldn’t be worried about that at all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Skating is literally the most easily improved skill. I wouldn’t be worried about that at all.

If it is so easily improved, why isn't everyone a great skater? Again, I don't really think it's an issue, it's just that some of the other guys behind him have it in spades, and it's something I value, along with high end hockey sense.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If it is so easily improved, why isn't everyone a great skater? Again, I don't really think it's an issue, it's just that some of the other guys behind him have it in spades, and it's something I value, along with high end hockey sense.

There’s a difference between improving something enough that it isn’t and never will be a problem, and being great at that thing. Zadina’s speed doesn’t seem like much of an issue (compared to someone like Stone or Perry way back) and it will definitely improve in the hands of professional skating coaches and a good training regimen. And to your question, the majority of NHLers are good to great skaters... especially in today’s NHL. Zadina has high end everything except maybe skating, the fact that he can improve on that in the future should even help his stock imo. Just my 2 cents though.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
There’s a difference between improving something enough that it isn’t and never will be a problem, and being great at that thing. Zadina’s speed doesn’t seem like much of an issue (compared to someone like Stone or Perry way back) and it will definitely improve in the hands of professional skating coaches and a good training regimen. And to your question, the majority of NHLers are good to great skaters... especially in today’s NHL. Zadina has high end everything except maybe skating, the fact that he can improve on that in the future should even help his stock imo. Just my 2 cents though.

The thing is that it's not a given that he does improve his skating enough.

Frankly, if I'm drafting in the top 3 I want a player who has quality hockey IQ, skating, hands, and vision.
If a player has those qualities they might not just end up as stars, but superstars. And that is what you look to draft in the top 5 (actually I'd look to draft potential superstars with all my picks)

It's a fair concern that Zadina might not reach the lofty status of an elite first line player due to his lack of speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad