2018 salary cap strategies

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
If he wanted to dump weise he can just retain 50%, at that price some team is going to bite for sure.

You think some team wants Weise and his roster spot even at 1+ milli for 2 more years without any thing else coming back?

Another option is a Hartnell-RJ trade, in which we take a high cap expiring next year for Weise

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hextall won't give up draft picks to dump salary, quite the opposite.
And he's not going to overpay Karlsson in salary or trade when he has Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers.
Nor is he going to overpay Tavares when he has Couts, Patrick, Frost, Vorobyev and Rubtsov.

He'll lock up his RFAs, and if he trades, it will be to balance the lineup and probably prospect and draft picks for young, upcoming player who is a better fit (sharpshooting RW, RHD).
Look dh with all the young players comes a lot of cap flexibility, which means we would be in prime spot to throw money at someone like karlsson or tavares. If that kind of talent becomes available in quantity for quality type of move that's opportunity we shouldn't waste. I know that we will have to eventually pay the young players but that takes a long time to materialize. Kony who will give us three sweet years on elc, then will have a cheap bridge deal and before you know it 6 years have passed. That capspace is asset we better not waste. And when you get in a bind you can always trade big ticket player. Look at kessell and Weber for example.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
For those of you saying ~6.5 on Provorov, I'm just going to C+P myself from about a month ago. Going 8 years would be the exception to the rule, but that's about the only way I see it possibly getting that high.

I'm not expecting a consistent 40+ in the immediate future, so that would be a difference. Still, if we look at highly-regarded D in the last couple of years who didn't bridge and had already broken out (filtering out unfair comps like Klefbom), that gives us:

Lindholm for 6/31.5
Slavin for 7/37.1
Hamilton for 6/34.5
Seth Jones for 6/32.4
Ristolainen for 6/32.4
Ekblad for 8/60
Rielly for 6/30
Klingberg for 7/29.5 -- I almost left this out because it was downright comical the day it was signed.

Not seeing it without an unexpected cap jump.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
RFA salaries will mount up very quickly:
Provorov, Konency - 2019
Patrick, Sanheim - 2020
Myers 2021? Frost, Rubtsov etc. 2022?
That's $20+M over 6-8 years starting in 2020.
And maybe another $10+M plus in 2022
Giroux UFA in 2023, Voracek in 2025. So not much big money coming off the books.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I am okay with JT or a Karlsson contract and then dealing with cap as it goes. It’s the Weise or Amac type contracts we need to avoid. We need to avoid signing any UFA in the 2-6 milli range with term. They never seem to work out.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Filppula -5mil
Lehterä -4,7mil
Amac -5mil
Weise -2,35mil
Manning -,975mil
Read -3,625mil
RJ -1,5mil
-24mil
add atleast 2,5mil what we have space and cap rises atleast 3mil

Wayne -3,975mil?
Elliot -2,750mil?
Neuvy -2,5mil?
Gudas -3,350mil?
-12,5mil

those gone in 3 years max, +40mil space?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Karlsson isn't Pronger.
He's more of a bigger, sexier version of Ghost who's a RHD.
And the foot issue is serious.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
IF current young players develope as can be expected and if the Flyers avoid signing any big UFAs, they should be ok for the next few years. But when Couturier's contract is up and current ELC's players (projected) bridge contracts finish in 2022-2023, there will be trouble (unless of course trades are made or young players won't develope and receive contracts or cap rises unexpenctatly high etc.).

A long term deal for Simmonds could be fatal because it would mean that they couldn't sign all the youngsters. Simmonds is also the type of player that could hit the wall quite suddenly. On the other hand one has to consider that if this team is not going to be a serious Cup competitor for the next few years, is it better to sign him for 2-3 year deal or trade him this season or the next. Another question is when will Simmonds' trade value be at it's highest. This season? Next season? Two to three seasons in the future?

Hextall is going to potentially have some spare cap space in the coming seasons and then he'll be in cap hell. It's going to be interesting to see how he handles it.

"Times are tough, huh, bud?" as the talking dog said.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Karlsson isn't Pronger.
He's more of a bigger, sexier version of Ghost who's a RHD.
And the foot issue is serious.

Playoff Karlsson is a great D. He pushes the play for 30 minuets adding the best type of defensive.....offensive. He has taken average teams deep into playoffs that shouldn’t of. Him and Prongs are polar opposites, but Karlsson impact on the game is just as great minus then success. Esp in today’s game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's not get carried away, Karlsson had one great playoff series, last year.
Before that: 29g 4-15 19 -6
It's always dangerous to value a player off his peak season.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
:sarcasm:Karlsson can't spell defense, you need someone good and reliable. Like Ryan Suter, who is all-time leader in plus minus in playoffs among active players.

Reactions: hatcher

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
RFA salaries will mount up very quickly:
Provorov, Konency - 2019
Patrick, Sanheim - 2020
Myers 2021? Frost, Rubtsov etc. 2022?
That's $20+M over 6-8 years starting in 2020.
And maybe another $10+M plus in 2022
Giroux UFA in 2023, Voracek in 2025. So not much big money coming off the books.

I am really not too worried tbh in terms of hits. They are in an absolutely fantastic position going forward.

The only way they can possibly get in cap trouble over the next ~6 years is if Hextall goes out and signs UFAs on crazy deals.

Ghost being the PP1 guy for the forseeable future should also limit the Dmen's RFA deals (sans Provorov)... as it is pretty rare for Dmen not putting up 40+ points to get big RFA deals full-stop.

I mean, Top 4 RFA Dmen deals over last 2 years:

Ekblad: $7.5m x8
Fowler: $6.5m x8
Parayko: $5.5m x5
Barrie: $5.5m x4
Ristolainen: $5.4m x6
Jones: $5.4m x6
Slavin: $5.3m x7
Lindholm: $5.25m x6
Krug: $5.25m x4
Spurgeon: $5.2m x4
Orlov: $5.1m x6
Rielly: $5m x6
Matheson: $4.875m x8
Vatanen: $4.875m x4
Zaitsev: $4.5m x7
Gostisbehere: $4.5m x6
Klefbom: $4.2m x7
Larsson: $4.2m x6
Severson: $4.2m x6
Pesce: $4m x6
Maatta: $4.1m x6
Manson: $4.1m x4
Murphy: $3.85m x6
Despres: $3.7m x5
Gudas: $3.35m x4
Pysyk: $2.7m x3
McNabb: $2.5m x4

Only Provorov from the Flyers will be getting $5m+ unless something drastically changes.

Reactions: Rebels57

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If you can get Karlsson to pair up with Provy you do it and that would be one of the best pairings in hockey for the next 8 seasons. Ghost is great but Karlsson is at a whole different level and he isn't just an offensive guy like some say. Provy/Karlsson, Sanheim/Myers, Morin/Gudas has potential to be the best in the league in a few seasons.

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with signing free agents at the peak of their games is they'll want to be paid based on that peak, plus a free agent premium, for a long period that extends well past their peak years of 24-30. So it'll start out as an overpay and end up as a gross overpay. It's extremely unlikely that Karlsson or Tavares will improve, it's very likely that they won't sustain their current production through a long-term free agent deal.

The best value are long-term RFA contracts or extensions signed before the player peaks, which are more likely to reflect the player's actual value (underpay for a couple peak years, overpay for a couple other seasons).

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Only an idiot obsessed with size and grit would fail to realize Karlsson is one of the best defensemen to ever lace em up. Watch a ****ing game for once.
I'll take Doughty or Suter types all day long. Trust in players like that. I would take Karlsson to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad