2018 salary cap strategies

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
So with salary cap projections released and Filpula/Read/Manning contracts expiring, we will have roughly 15million available with some inexpensive rfa contracts to renew. What do we do, we basically still have a full lineup with the three possibly leaving. Do we look for an offensive or defensive upgrade? Do we now feel more comfortable resigning Simmonds?

My Free Agent Interests

Centers
Tavares
Athanisou

Left Wing
Neal
Maroon

Right Wing
Wingels

Defense
Carlson
De Haan

Goalie
Raanta

Athanisou and Raanta would be a solid off season pick based on value to cost.

If you can magically dump a Mac, lehtera, Wiese, now you could get into the action for Tavares or Carlson. Pipe dream to move those guys and be in on these two.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I doubt they do much...

I mean, I would not mind getting a guy like Grabner, Sceviour or Winnik to solidify bottom six for cheap... but we have Dale Weise blocking a spot. (who is worse than all three and was last free agency too even though he got a bigger contract than all three for longer... god I hate that contract. Maybe the worst thing Hextall has done.)

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Well, a chunk of that money should be reserved for Provorov's extension. Morin & Hagg will also need to be re-upped, but they're not going to be in line for major increases.

You have to kick the tires on Tavares if he's available, but I think the Isles would be insane to let him go / even get to free agency. They're losing some contracts, so that'll help, but they also have to sign Bailey & De Haan. They may have to sacrifice one or both of them. That Ladd contract is a killer - just more evidence that big UFA acquisitions rarely work out.

Reactions: BillDineen

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Sign Provy for 8 yrs for as cheap as possible. 50 mill would be nice.

Any free agents need to be above average speed wise and bottom 6 guys that won't block any kids

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem with top free agents is you'll have to give them 6-8 year deals, overpaying for their out years just when this team is peaking, limiting your flexibility. Pass.

The extra cap room could be used to buyout players, more likely paying down half their salaries in return for 7th rd picks (MacDonald, Weise) or waiving them and sending them to the AHL (Lehtera).

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Sit on that extra cap space and if there's a team that has major cap issues, swing a trade to acquire additional assets for taking on a bad contract. There'll be money available for when the Provorov contact needs to be done.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Could you imagine if JT decided to sign in Philly, those G vs JT arguments would be more fun because G would be just dumping apples to JT like he was shooting a Tommy gun, that’s a gross thought having those 2 on a line together, christ then add Jake it would be close to if not the best line in hockey, ahhhhh a boy could dream right

Back to reality, I would prefer the Flyers to sit on that freed up cash and pay the youngens when it’s time so when these guys hit their prime they’re locked in so hopefully the Flyers will be a juggernaut and just keep winning

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Wit re-signing Simmonds we had to reme.ber that Wayne still has one more Season remaining on his great prior Contract... so we can add that amount to the Cap when it expires... if Hexy was to go the UFA route, he might be better with the devil he knows.

Keep in mind also that the Cap will probably rise again next Season, and then we may be in store for another big jump with a minimum one more Expansion Team coming in the NFL with their huge Entry Fee... and the losing of another Player in the Expansion Draft.

Meanwhile Lehtera's Contract Lapses also... and more young Forwards mature.

Unless Hexy goes hog wild on FAs, there should be plenty Cap for re-signing the RFAs... as well as the best and fairest re-signing of Simmonds.

If we are he'll bent on ReBuilding from within, we may as, well go all in and roll with the in-house youth... and then, when ready, fill in the gaps with the 'right' FAs -- unlike Weiss -- and retain our own... until it's time to cut them loose.

My answer to the OP then is; wisely ride out 2018-19 and re-sign Simmonds... if he returns to form... and maybe look for lesser Contract, of lower Cap and, shorter length if he looks to be on the downswing.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Provorov deserves a blank check.

8 x 6.25 would be a great target to try to hit.

It would also lock up Ghost & Provorov for under 11 million combined through their primes at a time when young UFA defenders of near that quality are going to be getting 12+ million a year.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Wit re-signing Simmonds we had to reme.ber that Wayne still has one more Season remaining on his great prior Contract... so we can add that amount to the Cap when it expires... if Hexy was to go the UFA route, he might be better with the devil he knows.

Keep in mind also that the Cap will probably rise again next Season, and then we may be in store for another big jump with a minimum one more Expansion Team coming in the NFL with their huge Entry Fee... and the losing of another Player in the Expansion Draft.

Meanwhile Lehtera's Contract Lapses also... and more young Forwards mature.

Unless Hexy goes hog wild on FAs, there should be plenty Cap for re-signing the RFAs... as well as the best and fairest re-signing of Simmonds.

If we are he'll bent on ReBuilding from within, we may as, well go all in and roll with the in-house youth... and then, when ready, fill in the gaps with the 'right' FAs -- unlike Weiss -- and retain our own... until it's time to cut them loose.

My answer to the OP then is; wisely ride out 2018-19 and re-sign Simmonds... if he returns to form... and maybe look for lesser Contract, of lower Cap and, shorter length if he looks to be on the downswing.
Yep we should definitely go shorter term higher aav route with simmer.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Problem with top free agents is you'll have to give them 6-8 year deals, overpaying for their out years just when this team is peaking, limiting your flexibility. Pass.

The extra cap room could be used to buyout players, more likely paying down half their salaries in return for 7th rd picks (MacDonald, Weise) or waiving them and sending them to the AHL (Lehtera).

I don’t think Amac is at buyout point yet. I think to a non flyers fan, Amac is doing a okay job still, and no one on this team has shown the ability to fill his role without leaving bigger holes else where esp with Morin injured. I know this won’t be popular, but I said this even prior to suspension that flyers should trade Gudas at this draft. You could get a good return from a team like edm. That would open a roster spot and open cash up for are RFAs

As for Weise, I’d be willing to attach a pick or prospect and ship him out of town ASAP.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall won't give up draft picks to dump salary, quite the opposite.
And he's not going to overpay Karlsson in salary or trade when he has Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers.
Nor is he going to overpay Tavares when he has Couts, Patrick, Frost, Vorobyev and Rubtsov.

He'll lock up his RFAs, and if he trades, it will be to balance the lineup and probably prospect and draft picks for young, upcoming player who is a better fit (sharpshooting RW, RHD).

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
No team with the cap space the Flyers will have in 18-19 will give away assets to move contracts.

I can see Hexy doing it if the prospect is someone like Madsen who doesn’t have a future here. I am assuming we are going to be tight against the max number of contracts in near future??? Maybe group Weise with someone like a Fazleev or Bardeau and move down a round or two in a draft.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
If he wanted to dump weise he can just retain 50%, at that price some team is going to bite for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad