Music: 2018 Rock & Roll HOF Nominees: We're done with the 60s/70s thank god

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Here are the nominees for the 2018 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with my perfect designations of who belongs and who has to buy a ticket to get in. Only five get in.

Radiohead Yes. I’m not a fan, but I can’t deny their fame, longevity, contribution, etc.

Rage Against the MachineYes. No real debate here. Hit the trifecta of being innovative, super famous, and influential.

LL Cool JYes. Shame he’s the only rapper nominated, but he was one of those breakthrough acts who helped make rap mainstream. He almost lost his spot though because of I Need Love. What were you thinking, LL?

Kate BushNo. If there is a British Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I’m sure she’s in, but this is America, Jack. And in America she’s a nobody.

Judas PriestNo. It would be nice to see the hall recognize more metal bands at some point, but there are far better options.

Depeche Mode -- Yes. They appear again as this year’s excessively English nominee, but if the Smiths didn’t get it, I doubt they do.

The Cars -- No. Had a few really good songs, but they don’t seem to meet the fame quotient.

Bon JoviYes. He’s in for the steel horse I ride song alone. That was my jam.

The Zombies -- No. They aren't even the best band with the word "zombie" in their name.

Dire StraitsNo. One game-changing music video doesn’t get you in.

Eurythmics No. They had a couple of really amazing songs, but they never hit it big enough to qualify for a hall of fame.

J. Geils Band -- No. A one hit wonder where the one hit was a song about a guy's girlfriend being a centerfold model? They don’t deserve to get in and never should have been nominated again.

MC5 -- No. This is part of the annual appeal to the Baby Boomer donors by nominating some third tier spare bands from the 60s.

The MetersNo. My records tell me they were nominated before, but I still have no idea who they are.

The Moody BluesNo. They’ve been passed over for a reason many times. They’re in the good but not great category. The Pierre Turgeon of the 60s and 70s. Put up good numbers but were never considered among the best.

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan No. No act featuring “featuring” deserves to get in. Leaning on a part time member’s fame is no reason to get in.

Nina SimoneNo. Even the best jazz singer alive doesn’t belong in a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What’s that? She’s not alive? Well, either way, my point still stands.

Sister Rosetta TharpeNo. Again, wrong genre. There is a gospel hall of fame down the highway. Go apply there, and take Father John Misty with you while you’re at it.

Link WrayNo. Never heard of them or him or whatever this is. I’m guessing it’s a made up name included to see if we’re paying attention.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/artic...achine-and-ll-cool-j-among-rock-hall-nominees

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
How do you argue against Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta for being outside the genre and then for LL Cool J being in?

In any case, the rock hall is sufficiently watered down and irrelevant to allow them all in.

Reactions: jw2
Jan 3, 2012
This is the problem with all HOFs. Just have years of no iductions cause it gets weaker and weaker.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
"Judas PriestNo. It would be nice to see the hall recognize more metal bands at some point, but there are far better options."

There certainly aren't many more influential options. One of the many jokes of the RRHOF is that Abba and Tupac(!) get into the rock hall of fame before the metal gods...

"Dire StraitsNo. One game-changing music video doesn’t get you in."

I recommend going on Spotify and listening to the catalogue, you won't be disappointed. Dire Straits have a great claim if this were a legitimate rock and roll hof.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Radiohead - Absolutely
Priest - I will take them since Iron Maiden will never get in for some reason
Rage - Total rock and roll. Yes please!
Cars - Yes.....if there has to be more than 3
DM - Again, if there has to be more than 3 yes.

Bon Jovi......I hope f***ing never. Terrible.
I prefer no rap/hop hop in the 'rock and roll' hall of fame. Make a hip hop hall please.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Judas Priest should have been in years ago.

All of your favorite artists adore Kate Bush. She should be in.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How do you argue against Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta for being outside the genre and then for LL Cool J being in?

In any case, the rock hall is sufficiently watered down and irrelevant to allow them all in.

I find lots of problems with his Logic of reason why.

Big ones are Kate Bush and moody blues.

Blues are one if the most underrated bands of all time

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Big Dire Straits fan here.

But I'm a bit older than a lot of folks around here.

I like LL Cool J but in my mind, this is a mismatch.

-Radiohead
-Rage Against the Machine
-Dire Straits
-Depeche Mode
-Nina Simone

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues

The R&RHoF is a joke and has been for years.

Exactly, and McClure does this same shtick every year.

anyway my votes for my Rock hall a fame:
Dire Straits
Moody Blues
The Cars
Link Wray

Reactions: Troy McClure

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rap is the music of youth angst, so it is far more akin to rock and roll than old people music like soul or jazz.

Nina Simone had more rebellion in her than LL Cool J ever did.

And where do you think rock and roll got its energy and abandon from? Black gospel.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
looking at how the OP voted

he is a complete hipster following the pack

sister rosette thorpe is on the level of big mamma thorton for the bulding blocks of rock and roll

calling her just gospel is an insult to how much talent she had

as for moody blues

they were one of the first groups to bring an orchestra FULL time into the recording session.

want to know why you do not have cover bands doing just moody songs? because most are too complex for "simple musicians" to do.

Also-- the moodies suffered from the dreaded "no controversial arrests or bad media"--they did as much LSD as floyds and drugs as Zepplin--but as the band said--we just never got caught and it never really affects us that bad.

by the OP voting yes for radiohead and no to the Moodies--sure fire example of a sheep following the crowd of what is cood

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am not a fan of Link Wray--but most guitarists I know site him as an influence

from 1958

many give wray the credit for the POWER CORD

Jimmy Page calls him the man who invented harder rock and roll

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
looking at how the OP voted

he is a complete hipster following the pack

sister rosette thorpe is on the level of big mamma thorton for the bulding blocks of rock and roll

calling her just gospel is an insult to how much talent she had

as for moody blues

they were one of the first groups to bring an orchestra FULL time into the recording session.

want to know why you do not have cover bands doing just moody songs? because most are too complex for "simple musicians" to do.

Also-- the moodies suffered from the dreaded "no controversial arrests or bad media"--they did as much LSD as floyds and drugs as Zepplin--but as the band said--we just never got caught and it never really affects us that bad.

by the OP voting yes for radiohead and no to the Moodies--sure fire example of a sheep following the crowd of what is cood

Love the Moodies! This Is The Moody Blues is one of my all time favorite "greatest hits" albums and Legend Of A Mind is one of the best headphone songs ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad